• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Jonnyram

john tv said:
On one hand, Sakaguchi probably doesn't care because either way he made bank from this MS deal. Crazy bank. On the other hand, it's gotta hurt knowing this game could've been on just about any other platform in existence and sold about 10-15 times as many copies. If it were on PS2 it would've sold a million in a week, easily.

Poor Xbox!
Hold on a sec... you're jumping the gun a little here. This does NOT include the bundle, which is surely how most of the new Xbox customers will be buying the game. Selling 40,000 to the existing userbase (160k?) on the first day is not that bad :p

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Jonnyram said:
Hold on a sec... you're jumping the gun a little here. This does NOT include the bundle, which is surely how most of the new Xbox customers will be buying the game. Selling 40,000 to the existing userbase (160k?) on the first day is not that bad :p

That's actually pretty damn good.

john tv

Jonnyram said:
Oh, I'm not saying it didn't do well -- I'm just saying there's no way in hell it could ever perform up to what it probably deserves to as long as it's on 360. As a creator, that's got to hurt. You want your game to be played by as many people as possible, regardless of how fat the initial paycheck was.

duckroll

john tv said:
If it were on PS2 it would've sold a million in a week, easily.

Yeah that's totally why Rogue Galaxy sold a million in a wee------ wait a minute... no. Okay but I'm sure Tales totally would---- nope. Damn! Blue Dragon is not Final Fantasy. :p

john tv said:
On one hand, Sakaguchi probably doesn't care because either way he made bank from this MS deal. Crazy bank. On the other hand, it's gotta hurt knowing this game could've been on just about any other platform in existence and sold about 10-15 times as many copies. If it were on PS2 it would've sold a million in a week, easily.

Poor Xbox!

hmmm, Im not so sure, do rpgs sell massively outside ff and DQ....what does the game offer that going to catch the eye if it was downgraded and released on the ps2...I think the game would have had less attention on the ps2...I think the game might sell well in the states

peace

john tv

duckroll said:
Yeah that's totally why Rogue Galaxy sold a million in a wee------ wait a minute... no. Okay but I'm sure Tales totally would---- nope. Damn! Blue Dragon is not Final Fantasy. :p
I think you're underestimating the power of having Sakaguchi and Toriyama attached to this title. Seriously.

duckroll

john tv said:
I think you're underestimating the power of having Sakaguchi and Toriyama attached to this title. Seriously.

Toriyama would be a good boost, but Sakaguchi sure proved he was a real draw to the crowds with the FF movie didn't he! :lol

Brashnir

nelsonroyale said:
I think the game might sell well in the states

I'm not too sure about that. It will probably sell OK, but it's a JRPG on the Xbox. JRPGs not named Final Fantasy tend to not be huge sellers in the States, and a big one on an Xbox platform is a bit of an unknown quantity. I guess it could be a big seller here (depending on one's definition of big...) but I wouldn't say I expect it to be.

Brashnir said:
I'm not too sure about that. It will probably sell OK, but it's a JRPG on the Xbox. JRPGs not named Final Fantasy tend to not be huge sellers in the States, and a big one on an Xbox platform is a bit of an unknown quantity. I guess it could be a big seller here (depending on one's definition of big...) but I wouldn't say I expect it to be.

I just think some 360 fans want to get there hands on a jrpg...and this is a pretty good one coming there way...maybe not though...but I think it has a good chance of selling pretty well

peace

RyuHayate

duckroll said:
Not my fault he hasn't made a game in 10 years. :p

Well, he was riding on the wave of the FF series success, so he really didn't have to. Even then he had more input than we might think as he served as a producer on every game up until X (or maybe XI).

Ginko

duckroll said:
The charging thing has nothing to do with framerate, different spells and attacks charge VERY differently from others. It's more of a timing minigame than anything else. Spells specially have very different charging rates so if you hold down the button they will increase at different speeds AND increments. If they increase at different increments it won't look smooth instead the bar looks like it's "jumping" at times which it is. The only perfectly smooth charging bar is when you use the Charge Attack which is a normal attack that can be charged. It's the easiest and most controllable. All spells will differ.

Ahh, I see. I kinda like this. It doesn't make you memorize how the bar work since it's gonna be different with every new spell, nice touch I must say.

And yeah I agree with duck here, BD is not FF, I really doubt that it will hit the million mark in a week on another console, let alone the 500k mark (which I doubt too).

Franchises like FF and DQ are games that sell no matter what. It's unreasonable to put BD in the same category as these.

duckroll

RyuHayate said:
Well, he was riding on the wave of the FF series success, so he really didn't have to. Even then he had more input than we might think as he served as a producer on every game after
X (or maybe XI).

I doubt he has had much input in ten years honestly. When he went off to direct the FF movie he said that he gave a plot outline for FF9 to the team, but when the game was released he mentioned it was changed so much it was hardly the same thing anymore. The FF series is mostly Kitase's baby now, as he was the one groomed by Sakaguchi to take over starting from FF6.

Having played Blue Dragon it's really obvious what direction FF would have gone if Sakaguchi had not handed the series over to Kitase, as it really keeps much of the style, mood and gameplay of the earlier FFs. When longtime FF fans actually play Blue Dragon, I think most of them will see what I mean. :D

Edit: Btw the way John, I completely agree that Blue Dragon would sell BETTER on the PS2 (duh!) but honestly saying it will sell 10-15 times more is a total exaggeration and you know it. ^_^

Jonnyram

I was kinda wondering why Bebpo turned around so fast, but then I got to the part which presumably he got to and whoa! Awesome music (reminds me of a certain part of FFVII actually), and proper dungeon experience. Not as much random shit to check, it's limited to rooms, mainly, and some nice monsters. This game is sucking me in.

Ginko

yahso said:

That's the event Big Shadow. It's a promotional event for the game that was announced a couple of days ago. I see it attracted a lot of attention, and it's kinda nice in concept. Damn the marketing for this game is just up the roof. I wonder how much is MC paying for the game's marketing.

Jonnyram said:
I was kinda wondering why Bebpo turned around so fast, but then I got to the part which presumably he got to and whoa! Awesome music (reminds me of a certain part of FFVII actually), and proper dungeon experience. Not as much random shit to check, it's limited to rooms, mainly, and some nice monsters. This game is sucking me in.

Cool. It seems this game starts off pretty slow and mediocre, but catches up pretty quickly which is good.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
317040573_76d5324258_b.jpg

317040893_74929f39b8_b.jpg

317040277_213a18721c_b.jpg

Ginko

Shit @ water effects!! Damn that's just beautiful!

DCharlie, if it's not much to ask, can you give an over-the-head view for the water so we can see it more clearly:)

p3tran

Banned
I think that for the next day or so, you guys wont be playing the game much, but rather taking photos of it to share with poor us-european gamers...
well done!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Looks like everything we've seen from Blue Dragon until now was from Disc 1. Discs 2&3 should be full of surprises :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Ginko said:
Don't think we forgot about those videos :p
Unfortunately the delivery guy didn't show up at all, so I'll have to wait until 4PM before I can go there myself to get it. Joy.

Ginko

Blimblim said:
Unfortunately the delivery guy didn't show up at all, so I'll have to wait until 4PM before I can go there myself to get it. Joy.
You're already doing a great job by offering this. Take your time, there's no rush :)

Munba

Blimblim said:
Looks like everything we've seen from Blue Dragon until now was from Disc 1. Discs 2&3 should be full of surprises :)

I hope in "drammatic" or world-change events (ff6 world of ruins anyone?), like in the old times. :) In these days the rpgs are too linear without surprises.. :/

Munba

Munba said:
I hope in "drammatic" or world-change events (ff6 world of ruins anyone?), like in the old times. :) In these days the rpgs are too linear without surprises.. :/

Munba

hahah ridiculous statement...Ive been called an iconoclast through my writing though

peace

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Jonnyram said:
Blue Dragon software shifted 40,000 on day one.
This does NOT include the hardware bundles.

It's the fastest start for any 360 game, btw.

Where did you get this information?

Anyways, that's good. Hopefully it'll even out to about 100K by the end of the month.

That is depressing though.

JMPovoa

40k on day one discounting bundles?
How many bundles with Blue Dragon are there?

This could very well be good news for Microsoft. If the game gets good word of mouth from japanese gamers, sales could skyrocket. (within 360's reality in Japan)

<nu>faust

john tv said:
Oh, I'm not saying it didn't do well -- I'm just saying there's no way in hell it could ever perform up to what it probably deserves to as long as it's on 360. As a creator, that's got to hurt. You want your game to be played by as many people as possible, regardless of how fat the initial paycheck was.
that big fat paycheck made it possible for sakaguchi to turn his vison into a reality and gave him a 2nd chance to prove himself to the industry, i'd woudn't complain too much if i was him ;)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Blimblim said:
That's very good for me, don't know if you are sarcastic or not but IMHO it's even a bit too long still ;)

Nope, not being sarcastic at all... RPGs are my favorite genre but of course they are extremely time consuming and I now work full time and am working on a master's degree so regrettably I don't have the time to play them like I once did. I remember a lot of classic SNES games used to be 25-35 hours which IMO is the perfect length for an RPG. It seems lately everything is 50+ hours, and 15-20 of those hours are total filler just to increase the game's length (*cough*Tales*cough). It's one of the reasons why I'm thinking a lot of people are burned out on the genre lately.

I'm really glad to hear this game being compared to the almighty FF5... Makes me salivate even more for it :)

All I've seen of this game are a bunch of cinematic screen caps. There has to be some good gameplay footage out by now, can someone point me in the right direction?

Top Bottom