• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Reflection Steam storescreens at 720p, hilarity ensues [Supports 4K, 144FPS]

ezodagrom

Yeah, Atelier Sophie has the same problem. It's the menus and HUD that are upscaled 720p for god knows what reason.
Don't know if this also applies to Firis.
Yeah, it also applies to Firis, plus Firis also has a few extras, like missing ambient occlusion, worse lighting, shadow issues, and apparently poor-ish performance.

Dehnus

Fair enough, not in the market for this title anyway. But I hope they can accept the following proposal from the PC fanbase:
1/4th the price :).

1/4th the resolution of PS4.

It is only fair, and I hope they can accept and understand that position of their PC fanbase :D.

Head.spawn

So the i7 & GTX 960 is recommended spec to be able to play this at 720p?

Jesus Christ. This game is going to be the next Crysis.

WyjdO07.png

edit: I'm dumb, just realized this is for textures/assets... which makes this even sillier. Thread title makes it sound like it's about actual resolution.

Shifty

Ha ha ha ha ha. Fuck no it's not acceptable, let alone understandable.

Like, it'd barely be acceptable if they simply didn't have 1080p+ quality assets full stop, but trying to fob off PC users with an inferior product when the assets are RIGHT THERE?

Nah mate. Nah.

Ascheroth

I've stopped buying their games on release and only pick their titles up if they hit a 75% discount. Which that never happens. Their games are not worth full price on PC.
The cheapest Toukiden: Kiwami got was 30€.
That is a game that is 30fps and 1080p locked and with a sequel already out.

Cleve

I mean I'll give them some credit for letting people know ahead of time that they're planning one of their usual shitty ports. Doesn't mean I'll give them my money though.

Beartruck

"We trust that you will understand our position in this matter, which is that we were reaaally tired. Like, just exhausted."

VariantX

People really need to stop giving them money until they at least meet the bare minimum expected standards for PC ports.

Battlechili

Banned
So they won't localize the vita version, but they will port that version to pc.
This is sounding more like they're doing what they did with the PC versions of Atelier Sophie and Atelier Firis. The 3D assets were all seemingly PS4 level, but the 2D assets were 720p.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wonder if the PS4 version has Pro support?
Was that too soon or..

Battlechili

Banned
Apparently Koei Tecmo's website lets ANYONE comment on the support ticket, and everyone who does it is automatically assumed to be the original poster of the support ticket, so everyone commenting on KT's awful announcement of 720p 2D art assets is all showing as the same person.

Just what kind of programmers does KT have?

Beartruck

Apparently Koei Tecmo's website lets ANYONE comment on the support ticket, and everyone who does it is automatically assumed to be the original poster of the support ticket, so everyone commenting on KT's awful announcement of 720p 2D art assets is all showing as the same person.

Just what kind of programmers does KT have?

If you've seen most of the atelier games, you'd know: Not very good ones.

MilkBeard

Their reasoning doesn't make sense. Why not use the 1080p from the PS4 version? Makes Absolutely no sense. If they didn't have a 1080p version it would at least be understandable.

Any resolution cap is unacceptable in PC gaming, let alone 720p. Just upscale the 2D assets with either nearest neighbor or bilinear filters and let the player decide between a blurry or pixelated interface.

StereoVsn

Yeap, that's the gif I was looking for. Seriously, what the heck is wrong with KT's management of PC ports. To borrow a movie line: "Inconceivable!"

Do they really think the already mediocre game will sell at all with this travesty of a port on PC? Shit, if they only got 720p assets for whatever god forsaken reasons (even though PS4 is 1080p I think), bring it to the Switch which needs more RPGs. They will get slaughtered in Steam reviews.

ezodagrom

Any resolution cap is unacceptable in PC gaming, let alone 720p. Just upscale the 2D assets with either nearest neighbor or bilinear filters and let the player decide between a blurry or pixelated interface.
It's not a resolution cap, it's the 2D assets.
They have assets made for 1080p for the PS4 version, but the PC version is using lower resolution assets that were made for 720p...for reasons...

They did this with Atelier Sophie and Firis as well.

Corine

Sad to see that they haven't learned a thing about the PC platform yet. I'll just continue to pass on the games they release.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I can only assume they do it because it's easier to use single assets to port the game and keeping the game size to minimum, other than that, i have no idea why they do it.

I'm guessing this is a habit on Koei Tecmo's part? Such a strange one, though. Maybe their dev PCs are low spec, so they can't test their PS4 assets on PC properly? The one game I've bought by them on PC (PW3) had a similar issue; it was based on the Vita version, and looked simplistic compared to the PS4 release. Hope I don't sound like I'm making excuses for them, I'm just really confused as to what would cause this issue on their end.

Top Bottom