• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardgame GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile20

So I played Ticket to ride with my friends last week and we had a blast. It was fun but actual strategy against other players was a little lacking at least in the original one. I have not played the others like europe and asia and switzerland so maybe those are a bit better.

I also played the original Risk and it was great fun too but takes for too long.

Can anyone offer great board games that takes maybe 1 - 1:30 hrs and is fun with some strategy against the other players.

The best board games, imo.

ah_prod_houseonthehill_pic1_en.jpg

Atmosfear, the greatest board game of them all. Exactly one hour, but perhaps a little light on strategy.

Yes, my gatekeeper!

Nightmare was the OG.

I fuckin loved this game growing up. I've played it with a few friends since then, but no one else seems to truly appreciate it like I do.

Risk: Legacy. It's a fantastic, morphing strategy game. The results of any given game permanently scar the Earth and makes every game different. Like most games, the first outing might take a while, but after that my friends and I had games that rounded out between 45 minutes to an hour.

Dougald

I generally like to trot out Carcassonne or Survive! - Survive is particularly good if you like screwing over your friends as a primary goal

ultron87

Settlers of Catan is the classic choice and, along with Ticket to Ride which you've already played, is the entry point for a lot of people to the wonderful world of board games that aren't Monopoly.

Some other suggestions, based on genre. These all take around an hour:

If you want to play a game with some complex interactions but where you aren't directly in conflict with everyone else I'd check out Seven Wonders or Dominion. These involve selecting cards and building up a tableau in front of you that turns into a machine that scores you points.

If you want to play something where you're attacking your friends and is different every time I'd suggest Cosmic Encounter. In this everyone gets one of 50 alien races with a unique, and sometimes hilariously imbalanced, power. It's a game about forming beneficial alliances and watching crazy player abilities bounce off each other.

If you want something that is all about the lying to your friends faces I'd suggest Resistance: Avalon. Some of the group are spies and while the rest are loyal and you need to figure out who is who before the quest ends in failure. In less of course you yourself are a spy.

marrec

Banned
Uhhhh, watching Betrayal at House on the Hill with Wil Wheaton on youtube. This looks like fun!

Thanks GAF.

Careful, it's out of print and can get stupid expensive. If you decide to buy, look for a direct sale on Board Game Geeks sales forum, don't buy off Ebay.

EYEL1NER

Uhhhh, watching Betrayal at House on the Hill with Wil Wheaton on youtube. This looks like fun!

Thanks GAF.
Hopefully some more copies surface, because everyone sold through their stock and preorders quickly last month. I am also interested in picking it up.

OP:
I'll second the recommendation for Smash Up that was already posted. Very fun, crazy card game which has simple rules (for the most part).
You said you haven't played TtR Europe but I like that one a lot more than the USA map so keep your eye out for it or try it on mobile maybe.
Maybe Small World would be another one up your alley? It is also from Days of Wonder (TtR guys) and has very cool style. The game scales really well for various group sizes IMO.

ultron87

I will note that Betrayal doesn't have a ton of strategy. It's really fun because it is a game that turns into one of 50 games in the second half, but the person that actually wins is often determined by getting lucky and drawing good items and events.

I will note that Betrayal doesn't have a ton of strategy. It's really fun because it is a game that turns into one of 50 games in the second half, but the person that actually wins is often determined by getting lucky and drawing good items and events.

Seems like it would be pretty fun to play while drinking.

Chairhome

Played Betrayal for the first time last week and it was great. i was able to find local stores that had copies, i think i only paid $45. I recommend it.

would you like coop games ? I loooooove Ghost Stories, but is only for 4 players and to me is stupid hard, but really fun

Also, there is always pandemic

Played Betrayal for the first time last week and it was great. i was able to find local stores that had copies, i think i only paid $45. I recommend it.

I just called a local gaming store and it looks like they have one for $50. That's definitely better than the crazy prices on Ebay and Amazon.

Arkham Horror is a ton of fun and pretty heavy in strategy, but that also might take too long for what you're looking for. It's probably my favorite board game though.

Elder Signs is like a mini Arkham Horror. Less complex, but still fun. It's almost like an H.P. Lovecraft inspired Yahtzee.

Galaxy Trucker (like a board game version of Faster Than Light), Shadows Over Camelot (have to save Camelot by doing different quests, one or two people on your team is a traitor and secretly working against you), and Pandemic (each player has different special abilities, work together to travel the world and eliminate disease) are all also great games in my opinion and they're all very different from one another.

Mudcrab

"Cosmic Encounter is a science fiction-themed strategy board game. In it, each player takes the role of a particular alien species attempting to establish control over the universe, each with a unique power to break one of the rules of the game.

Cosmic Encounter is a dynamic and social game, with players being encouraged to interact, argue, form alliances, make deals, double-cross, and occasionally work together to protect the common good. Most editions of the game are designed for three to six players, although official rules exist for playing with as few as two or as many as eight players."

CE_box_lid_eng.png

Catan, Dominion, and Carcassonne are all good introductory / short strategy games. For short co-op strategy games, there's Pandemic.

edit: If you can devote a little more time your options get better. Puerto Rico, Agricola, etc.

Munchkins is great fun and very strategic. Time to complete is highly variable though

Card version is the best but board game version is great too

"Cosmic Encounter is a science fiction-themed strategy board game. In it, each player takes the role of a particular alien species attempting to establish control over the universe, each with a unique power to break one of the rules of the game.

Cosmic Encounter is a dynamic and social game, with players being encouraged to interact, argue, form alliances, make deals, double-cross, and occasionally work together to protect the common good. Most editions of the game are designed for three to six players, although official rules exist for playing with as few as two or as many as eight players."

CE_box_lid_eng.png

Totally forgot about this game. I loved it so much! Its really great to play with friends. Highly recommend it.

Boardgames are great. You should join us here. You'll find lots of good discussion and recommendations. We will also answer all your questions. It's good times.

As for my favorite game? I absolutely love Agricola. In terms of videogames it's like if you made Harvest Moon the board game. You are a farmer and are trying to build up your farm. Breeding animals, growing vegetables and wheat, growing your family, and upgrading your home. It's pretty complex but there are rules for a family version which just focuses on farming.

Thanks GAF.
It's getting a reprint and should be in stock soon.

I know it's been said but monopoly once you put them hotels up on boardwalk or park place. It's game over
For you maybe, since it's hard to land on them. You'll run out of money before you make money on your investment. The orange and red properties are actually the better buy.

Risk: Legacy. It's a fantastic, morphing strategy game. The results of any given game permanently scar the Earth and makes every game different. Like most games, the first outing might take a while, but after that my friends and I had games that rounded out between 45 minutes to an hour.

Yeah, it's so awesome. Play it with the same group every session for best results. Otherwise they won't know what is going on. I did it a few times, where we all put in $10 so we all had a stake in the game. Good stuff.

Also, I recommend Eminent Domain, Bohnanza, and Lords of Waterdeep. Great games.

wamberz1

Fireball Island is GOAT

RCVAKyl.jpg

Oh the nostalgia, hits me like a freight train. We had this at our cottage as kids, game was fun as shit. Our parents gave up because they thought it was too confusing.

I have a friend who is getting me into board games really hard, and he introduced me to betrayal. Probably the most fun I've had playing a board game.

Switters

My personal favorite at the moment is Lords of Waterdeep and is possibly the best thing ever produced under the D&D license as well of one of the best board games ever.

Dominion - Fast paced deck building game. Scales well to multiple people.
Ascension - Another deck building game. I have only played the IOS version, I heard it doesn't scale as well for multiple players.
Settlers of Catan - Can sometimes last a long time, but once you get the rules down it goes pretty fast.
Cards against humanity - Can last as long as you want it to
Panic on Wall Street - Players split up into investors and traders, there's a winner on each side. Great fun with a larger crowd. Lots of shouting.

Cards against humanity - Can last as long as you want it to.

This is an excellent game. It really is strategic too, having to guess which combination of cards/phrases will be the one your opponent is more likely to choose.

It's getting a reprint and should be in stock soon.

I can't wait that long. I'm buying it from a local shop this week, and already have a group of friends coming over to play it this Friday. =)

At my house the rotation is Dominion, Race for the Galaxy and Pandemic. We have quite a few other games but we rarely step beyond this Holy Trinity. My wife is not terribly competitive and our young daughter is just starting to join us in "grownup" games, so these three suit us very well. I especially like Dominion...I have just about all of the expansions, and each game is quite different depending on which kingdom cards are pulled (ten per game out of a stack of hundreds). With a large crowd of non-gaming friends it's always gotta be Cards Against Humanity, the greatest party game ever made. If the crowd leans toward gaming tendencies, it's time to whip out Arkham Horror...though, that's a game I can play once and not feel the need to play it again for a year.

We play iPad boardgames in spurts too, particularly Ticket to Ride, Carc and Lost Cities. These are all great apps but we find face-to-face play infinitely more enjoyable. I've been thinking about grabbing a hard copy of TTR...it could easily work its way into our rotation. Carc and Lost Cities we own, but I actually think the app is the superior experience in both cases.

As long as you aren't paying more than MSRP, I'd say go for it. It's a fun game.

They have it for $50. I haven't had a lot of time to research it, but I think that's the MSRP. Looks like on one site you could get it for $35 if it were in stock, but I would assume that's not counting shipping and handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom