• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bobby Kotick posts a "farewell message"

Draugoth

Gold Member
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fed4515d5-f462-4d84-a206-46b1f8074821_2000x1125.jpeg

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick sent the following email to employees:

Extraordinary People,

Over the years, my passion for video games has often been attributed to Pitfall!, River Raid, and Kaboom!. I love those Atari 2600 games, but the game that first captured my imagination was Mystery House, developed by Roberta and Ken Williams. I played it on a borrowed Apple II night after night while in college at the University of Michigan.

Mystery House was a text adventure with some primitive sprite-based graphics. (Fittingly, we now own Mystery House and the company that published it, Sierra On Line.) The world in which the game was played was largely left to the player’s imagination. I envisioned rich, vast worlds with all sorts of interactive, animated life that would enable players to fulfill their varied aspirations—all in a simulated universe that offered unlimited possibilities for challenge, connection, and fun.

Forty years later, as my last day leading this company inches closer, I marvel at how far the talented people at our company have come toward realizing the great potential of games. You have transformed a hobbyist form of entertainment into the world’s most engaging medium. It has been the privilege of my lifetime to work alongside you as we broadened the appeal of games.

Perhaps the most important part of my job has been to help bring talented people together, provide the best resources possible, and foster an environment that encourages inspiration, creativity, and unwavering commitment to excellence.

I cannot adequately express the pride I have in the people who continue to contribute to our success and all those who have helped throughout my 32 years leading this company.

We are now part of the world’s most admired company. That isn’t an accident.

Phil Spencer has appreciated the magic of ABK for decades. When he approached Brian and me two years ago and proposed acquiring the company, it was immediately obvious that the combination of our businesses would enable us to continue to lead as the list of capable, well-resourced competitors grows.

Phil shares our values and recognizes our talents. He is passionate about our games and the people who make them. He has bold ambition.

As we move into our next exciting chapter, you could not be in better hands.

I will always be profoundly grateful to the people who contributed tirelessly to building this company and I am confident you will keep inspiring joy and uniting people through the power of play.

With gratitude and appreciation,

Bobby Kotick

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dude, you bought Activision in 1991.
Just means he started gaming on those games earlier than that. His wiki says he and a buddy started a tech company in 1983.

My passion for games started in the 80s on my bro's Apple II clone, Intellivision and NES. I've never worked at a video game company.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He had a bit part in Moneyball too. When I watched it not long ago, I didn't realize it was him since I didn't think he'd be in a movie. Then after I checked the net and oh shit, it was Kotick after all.

Monkfish877

Kotick is a slimeball but I begrudgingly respect how he's kept Activision at the top for so long. Have to give the man props for that.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
See ya Bob. It’s been real. It’s been fun. Can’t say it’s been real fun. Have a good summer and see you next school year.

- FoxMcChief (420 XXX 69)

havoc00

Good Guy Bobby

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick is using the coronavirus pandemic to (safely) get closer to his employees.

Kotick revealed Tuesday that he gave out his personal phone number to 10,000 workers and said he “encouraged every single employee that has a concern that relates to their health care” to contact him. A “few hundred” have reached out so far, he told CNBC.

Kotick said that luckily only a “small number” of the video game-maker employees have contracted Covid-19. He’s using the pandemic to bolster the company’s health care options, including making private doctors available, paying for some employee drug co-pays, and offering telehealth options.

Similar to other companies, Activision Blizzard (ATVI) is letting employees work from home. Kotick said that will continue for the “foreseeable future” and the collaborative spirit among its global offices has made it a seamless transition.

WitchHunter

Banned
These lobotomized, thank you for kicking me out email messages are akin to someone having stockholm syndrome and thanks the torturers for every second of their "tutoring".

Last edited:
Top Bottom