• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boko Haram Actually Kills More People In Terror Attacks Than ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

This week, the world’s deadliest terror group wrought extraordinary carnage on crowds of people going about their daily lives.

The fruit and vegetable market in the northern Nigerian city of Yola was packed with customers buying food for dinner when a suicide bomber struck on Tuesday evening, killing at least 34 people. "The ground near my shop was covered with dead bodies," Alhaji Ahmed told Reuters.

Then on Wednesday, as afternoon prayers approached, two young women strapped with explosives detonated at a busy mobile phone market in the nearby city of Kano. At least 15 people were killed in the twin blasts, according to The Associated Press.

Both bombings are widely believed to be the work of Nigerian militant group Boko Haram, which rarely claims responsibility for specific attacks but has waged a bloody six-year insurgency in the region.

A new report this week found Boko Haram has overtaken the so-called Islamic State as the “most deadly terror group in the world.”

The Global Terrorism Index said Boko Haram killed more people -- 6,644 -- in terror attacks during 2014 than any other group. The Islamic State, which is based in Syria and Iraq and this week brought its deadly violence to Baghdad, Beirut and Paris, follows closely behind, at 6,073 deaths through terrorism in 2014.

In March, Boko Haram released a recording pledging allegiance to the Islamic State, but the extent of any cooperation between the groups is unclear. Together, the two organizations were responsible for 51 percent of all terrorism-related deaths around the world last year, the report said.

Lots more at

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/564c...ection=black-voices&ncid=newsltushpmg00000003

FZZ

Banned
And sadly because it's primarily in Africa it gains even mess attention than the victims of ISIS do

:/

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Boko Haram was responsible for 6,644 deaths in 2014, becoming the most
deadly terrorist group in the world. ISIL was responsible for 6,073 terrorist
related deaths but the group was also involved in at least 20,000
battlefield-filed deaths with other state and non-state combatants.

Also does Boko Haram have as much of a media presence? Or do they do anything outside of Nigeria? Easy to see why ISIS would have more attention.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
well its in Africa so the mainstream media doesn't care.

Look at the story of 100's of girls that Boko Haram kidnapped and forced into sexual slavery. It only got any real buzz due to social media and slowly reached the mainstream media. If something like that happened to lets say even 20 Europeans it would of been the biggest news story of the year and the whole world wouldn't of rested until those 20 girls were found a dn the captors killed.

12,000 people died from gun violence in the US in 2013, but I guess people don't care since they mostly weren't killed in terror attacks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why is there such a drive on accepting specifically Syrian refugees? Why not people coming from other countries as well such as Nigeria? I mean countries are even making up quotas of how many Syrians they'll bring in, but not doing anything like that for many other countries.

Just a few months ago Europe was all "oh these refugees coming by boat from everywhere is such a difficult problem to deal with! we might have to send troops abroad to stop traffickers from sending people by boat!" and now they're all "let's get 30,000 Syrian refugees by years end! let's get more in fact!" and now we only hear about Syrians.

Why is there such a drive on accepting specifically Syrian refugees? Why not people coming from other countries as well such as Nigeria? I mean countries are even making up quotas of how many Syrians they'll bring in, but not doing anything like that for many other countries.

Just a few months ago Europe was all "oh these refugees coming by boat from everywhere is such a difficult problem to deal with!" and now they're all "30,000 Syrian refugees by years end!".

Huh? Europe didn't just start accepting Syrian refugees this year. Refugees from everywhere have always had the possibility to seek asylum in Europe.

There's no specific quotas for, say, Japanese refugees because there are much less Japanese people seeking asylum in Europe.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Europe didn't just start accepting Syrian refugees this year. Refugees from everywhere have always had the possibility to seek asylum in Europe.

There's no specific quotas for, say, Japanese refugees because there are much less Japanese people seeking asylum in Europe.

I'm not talking about Japanese. There was plenty of people from specific countries in trouble, and lots of drama over it. All of a sudden it's all about very high quotas to bring in Syrians, no mention of the countries from which people were coming and dying by the hundreds trying to reach Europe. Heck now Stockholm will even specifically help former IS members to find jobs if they come.

Valhelm

contribute something

Just a few months ago Europe was all "oh these refugees coming by boat from everywhere is such a difficult problem to deal with! we might have to send troops abroad to stop traffickers from sending people by boat!" and now they're all "let's get 30,000 Syrian refugees by years end! let's get more in fact!" and now we only hear about Syrians.

Probably because the Syrian conflict is a lot more visible.

Syria is also just a skip away from Southern Europe, while Nigeria is quite far.

I'm not talking about Japanese. There was plenty of people from specific countries in trouble, and lots of drama over it. All of a sudden it's all about very high quotas to bring in Syrians, no mention of the countries from which people were coming and dying by the hundreds trying to reach Europe. Heck now Stockholm will even specifically help former IS members to find jobs if they come.

There's a big focus on ISIS victims because there are massive influxes of ISIS victims trying to reach Europe. These victims aren't just from Syria, it's the same from Iraq.

If there was large and massive influxes of Nigerian people trying to reach Europe I'm sure there would be quotas to try to limit them too.

cameron

2Ym0riM.jpg

Syria has the largest displacement of people compared to other regions at this time. Most countries have annual quotas for specific regions. The quotas are adjusted accordingly depending on the situation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30006066

America refuses to help them due to their human rights record.

Israel is cool though, apparently.

Such bullshit, oh btw, the US blocked any country it was allied with from selling weapons to Nigeria, that included Israel. Not only that, they refused to share intelligence they gathered in their surveillance flights over Nigeria. On another instance a plane carrying weapons from Ukraine to Nigeria was refused over-flight permit by Saudi Arabia, making it harder for those cargo planes to make it to Nigeria. All this while the US continued to publicly claim that it was helping in the fight against BH, such hypocrisy. Through all that rubbish Nigeria has put up a better fight than any country in the middle east, BH controls no territory in Nigeria but their bombing campaign persists. Nigeria now has to build an intelligence network to combat this type of warfare, and they are already taking steps in the right direction. Am proud of what the country of my birth has accomplished, even if the bombing hasn't abated (i really hope it does)

Akara

Banned
When people say the Paris attack gets reported but not something that happens in Africa I mean that sucks yeah that it doesn't get reported in the same height but terrorist attacks don't happen often in Paris nor the United States. They aren't just daily occurances (unfortunately for other places). It's unexpected and scary cause you expect these places to be safe for us to explore, that's the priviledge we get from living here, but in other places that doesn't exist. It happens almost daily and its terrible. That's one of the reason why mass media reports the happenings in USA or Europe much more, besides white people getting killed, I knew people in Paris and alot of them weren't white...

I know it plays a part though...

Anyways yeah, I read about a lot of terrible things around the world, its depressing sometimes, I need a break from the news.

Madness

Http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=775262

My thread created about Boko Haram slaughtering some of the brightest students, slitting their throats after setting fire to their sleeping dorms, etc. See how many responses the thread got, or even views.

There was a movie a few years back about the Rwandan Genocide. In it, the fictional Colonel Oliver, based on a real Canadian UN Forces commander tells Don Cheadle's character, that no help would be coming. Why? Bexause:

"You're black. You're not even a nigger. You're an African."

And this always stuck with me. In a white, Western dominated world. What do they care that a bunch of Africans are killing themselves? Africans who don't have the resources, economic power, or political will to inflict change? We discussed this once in a sociology class, how white people even are afraid to intervene because they are afraid to seem racist or as imperialists. They are quick to criticize only themselves but afraid to criticize others. India reverses it's laws on LGBT rights, not a peep from the western world. White Russia introduces new laws targeting LGBT rights, let's boycott Russia, fire up the B2 stealths, where are sanctions. Japan doesn't want Syrian refugees, aside from a little criticism, not much. Hungary's PM says we don't want Muslim refugees or another country puts up a border fence, 'the Nazi's are back, let's kick these people out of the EU'.

The US will do the bare minimum in Africa, even with a President who's father was an African national because they have no reason to. What do the Governors signing documents saying they don't want Syrian Muslim refugees, the police enforcement brutalizing black citizens, care about Africa?

I'm rambling now. Fuck Boko Haram. I hope every single one of them is hunted down. I also blame the Nigerian government who refuses outside help to fight them. Nigeria will be and is the future African power. They need to root these people out like the cockroaches they are, or you'll see what happened in Somalia, Sudan happen there. The division of the country along religious lines, loss of national unity and fights over resources.

Akara

Banned
Http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=775262

My thread created about Boko Haram slaughtering some of the brightest students, slitting their throats after setting fire to their sleeping dorms, etc. See how many responses the thread got, or even views.

There was a movie a few years back about the Rwandan Genocide. In it, the fictional Colonel Oliver, based on a real Canadian UN Forces commander tells Don Cheadle's character, that no help would be coming. Why? Bexause:

"You're black. You're not even a nigger. You're an African."

And this always stuck with me. In a white, Western dominated world. What do they care that a bunch of Africans are killing themselves? Africans who don't have the resources, economic power, or political will to inflict change? We discussed this once in a sociology class, how white people even are afraid to intervene because they are afraid to seem racist or as imperialists. They are quick to criticize only themselves but afraid to criticize others. India reverses it's laws on LGBT rights, not a peep from the western world. White Russia introduces new laws targeting LGBT rights, let's boycott Russia, fire up the B2 stealths, where are sanctions. Japan doesn't want Syrian refugees, aside from a little criticism, not much. Hungary's PM says we don't want Muslim refugees or another country puts up a border fence, 'the Nazi's are back, let's kick these people out of the EU'.

The US will do the bare minimum in Africa, even with a President who's father was an African national because they have no reason to. What do the Governors signing documents saying they don't want Syrian Muslim refugees, the police enforcement brutalizing black citizens, care about Africa?

I'm rambling now. Fuck Boko Haram. I hope every single one of them is hunted down. I also blame the Nigerian government who refuses outside help to fight them. Nigeria will be and is the future African power. They need to root these people out like the cockroaches they are, or you'll see what happened in Somalia, Sudan happen there. The division of the country along religious lines, loss of national unity and fights over resources.

America just needs to pull out. Many genocides and terrible groups wouldn't have been given birth if they hadn't bomb places, intervene or tried to do anything stupid.

Countries don't usually get involved in other countries domestic issues.
Nigeria's population is close to 200 million. In 1950, it was only 33 million.
There's over 500 ethnic groups and over 500 languages spoken.
It's been a democracy for only 16 years. Corruption is high at all level.
It's kinda complicated.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
great...dick measuring articles...honestly both groups still kill innocent people whether or not its reported in the media. No matter what the West tries to do or doesn't do, the bloodshed never ends. : (

params7

Banned
U.S. is willing to interfere with Assad and ISIS on the facial bases of inhumane crimes against humanity.

Wonder why the U.S. never raises the same sentiments for Boko Haram.

Bleepey

Yeah. I found it really interesting when it was predominantly African people that were seen drowning in the sea and hopping on trucks in Calais they were called rats, yet a Syrian kid drowns on a beach and reactions range from housing them all in Detroit to allowing a million or so in Germany.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
U.S. is willing to interfere with Assad and ISIS on the facial bases of inhumane crimes against humanity.

Wonder why the U.S. never raises the same sentiments for Boko Haram.

Has Nigeria requested the help of the west? France intervened in Mali, so maybe it's also partly due to Nigeria saying "don't interfere".

Yeah. I found it really interesting when it was predominantly African people that were seen drowning in the sea and hopping on trucks in Calais they were called rats, yet a Syrian kid drowns on a beach and reactions range from housing them all in Detroit to allowing a million or so in Germany.
Economic migrants versus war refugees? I very much doubt that if Syria wasn't war torn, that Europe would be taking them in like this even if they came by boat.

The best coverage you will get on most international stories is by international news organisations that focus on international news. BBC World News (not BBC News), covers a very wide range of stories across the world and has plenty of mini documentaries too on past and current issues as well as some good programmes like World Have Your Say where bloggers, activists and general people address questions regarding issues amongst each other with different view points. I believe in the U.S it has NPR which is similar. NPR should have a global/international TV channel as well just like BBC World News. Your TV package may BBC World News already which I recommend when you are interested in international news stories, otherwise you can watch it online with a subscription on livestation. They also have 45 minute shows covering big news stories of the week, you have African report for example that addresses things happening in Africa. Where else do you really get this? Being such an international organisation it has a very diverse range of reporters and presenters which is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom