• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomberman Act Zero Gamespot Review

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:
again, without playing it, you are just guessing surely?
the space marine style is crap, but beyond that - it's bomberman, it's fun online. *shrug* not sure what to say about it beyond that. And it's nice to be able to play Bomberman games online without having to pay $6 a month :)

lol - reading the review - Why chuck the boot and the glove?!? erm... okay.

Nope, not guessing. I can rent it just to prove it to you, but I guarantee I won't like it at all. Art style is a distraction and can immediately take away enjoyment of a game. On top of that my biggest bitch for these new bomberman games has been perspective and this game takes them to a totally new level of hate with a FPS perspective, which I hate FPS on consoles, double that by adding it in a game series I love.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Naw...Bomberman 64 was pretty damned good, and challenging. Don't throw this with the goodness of that one. It lacked health bars, was hard as hell, and had multiplayer. I don't remember how many characters it had though.

Bomberman 64 sucked too. I was so pissed at that game and it was the start of the downward spiral of Bomberman sucktitude. Unfortunately since it came out about the time anyone with a 64 was hungry for ANYTHING to play on their system it sold and must have sent some crazy message to Hudson that it was okay to continue the trend of bad bomberman games.

R0nn

Funky Papa said:
Taking the offline multiplayer out of Bomberman is like letting you alone in a deserted island with Laetitia Casta only to find that "she" has a bigger dick than you and a hunger for lonely boys.

Just gotta love those hilarious metaphores of yours. :lol :lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Nope, not guessing. I can rent it just to prove it to you, but I guarantee I won't like it at all. Art style is a distraction and can immediately take away enjoyment of a game. On top of that my biggest bitch for these new bomberman games has been perspective and this game takes them to a totally new level of hate with a FPS perspective, which I hate FPS on consoles, double that by adding it in a game series I love.

case in point .... if you had played the game you'd know you can play the game in a variety of visual modes, you don't have to play first person mode at all - it's just an option.

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:
case in point .... if you had played the game you'd know you can play the game in a variety of visual modes, you don't have to play first person mode at all - it's just an option.

I know its an option. The other views from all the pictures and videos i've seen are still the suck ass damn perspectives that have been ruining the series for me since Saturn Bomberman.

I understand the message you are trying to get across, but the fact is people are still going to make judgements about games without playing them. If not we would be forced to buy or rent every game. It is possible to judge a game from videos and past experiences.

On top of that i'm sure there is a different game out there that is much more worthy of your effort to defend.

DCharlie

I understand the message you are trying to get across, but the fact is people are still going to make judgements about games without playing them.

... and can you understand why, as a gamer, this makes my blood ****ing BOIL?!

On top of that i'm sure there is a different game out there that is much more worthy of your effort to defend.

it's very few and far between when games get 2.9! i appreciate that the US version is overpriced, but 2.9 is a little harsh and some of the comments are ill founded - especially about the removal of the balance-felching 'kick' and 'glove'

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:
... and can you understand why, as a gamer, this makes my blood ****ing BOIL?!

You can't tell me you never passed judgement on a game without playing it? You didn't read a review for DOAX2 or any other game and said "i'm not going to like that game, forget it" or even the opposite and said to yourself "That game is going to rock!" Come on, people do it all the time. Thats how we decide what to buy and utilize things like screenshots and videos and game reviews as tools to come to those decisons.

DCharlie

You can't tell me you never passed judgement on a game without playing it? You didn't read a review for DOAX2 or any other game and said "i'm not going to like that game, forget it" or even the opposite and said to yourself "That game is going to rock!" Come on, people do it all the time. Thats how we decide what to buy and utilize things like screenshots and videos and game reviews as tools to come to those decisons.

you know, i'd maybe decide "hey that's not for me" and then wouldn't buy it , but i wouldn't go into a thread proclaiming a game rubbish or expounding it's supposed flaws if i'd not played it at all!

It was so simple... spruce up Saturn bomberman (SNES would also be ok) for 360 play, charge $10 for it on XBLA. And we get this? Bleh!

Remk

Ponn01 said:
Bomberman ceased being Bomberman after Saturn Bomberman. Nothing since then has even come close.

20011112_171610_208099.jpg

That one was pretty good :)

Since we had to endure this, give us a real Bomberman game to set things straight.

This travesty was built with the idea that Xbox gamers won't buy cute games.

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:
you know, i'd maybe decide "hey that's not for me" and then wouldn't buy it , but i wouldn't go into a thread proclaiming a game rubbish or expounding it's supposed flaws if i'd not played it at all!

Yea, but i've given you several valid reasons why I think it's rubbish, and despite that you still have not given me one reason why I should give it a try besides "its still bomberman". Bomberman Jetters was a bomberman and I hated it, bomberman 64 was a bomberman and I hated it, Bomberman PC was a bomberman and I hated it. And they all share similar gameplay and perspective to this one, all gameplay and perspectives that were reasons WHY I hated those iterations. So my question is what is the magical gameplay mechanic or thing that i'm missing that I didn't see in gameplay videos, reviews or screenshots that will make this game suddenly be appealing to me and not call it rubbish like all these other bomberman games? Is it just online play? If so you should know I don't give a shit about online play. Especially when it comes to bomberman games because the multiplayer experience is so much better at home with all your friends around talking smack and right there around a frantic 6 or 8 player Saturn Bomberman session. Pushing your friend so he doesn't grab that pink dinosaur egg before you. The perfect timing of well placed and kicked bombs that just cannot be equaled with these crappy new perspectives.

DCharlie

Yea, but i've given you several valid reasons why I think it's rubbish, and despite that you still have not given me one reason why I should give it a try besides "its still bomberman". Bomberman Jetters was a bomberman and I hated it, bomberman 64 was a bomberman and I hated it, Bomberman PC was a bomberman and I hated it. And they all share similar gameplay and perspective to this one, all gameplay and perspective that were reasons WHY I hated those iterations. So my question is what is the magical gameplay mechanic or thing that i'm missing that I didn't see in gameplay videos, reviews or screenshots that will make this game suddenly appealing to me and not call it rubbish like all these other bomberman games? Is it just online play? If so you should know I don't give a shit about online play. Especially when it comes to bomberman games because the multiplayer experience is so much better at home with all your friends around talking smack and right there around a frantic 6 or 8 player Saturn Bomberman session. Pushing your friend so he doesn't grab that pink dinosaur egg before you. The perfect timing of well placed and kicked bombs that just cannot be equaled with these crappy new perspectives.

if you don't give a shit about online play (which you say you don't) then i _would not_ recommend this game to you. If you do, which i'd say a large portion of xbots probably might given Live, then i'd say it is.

well, you don't have to worry about well timed kicks in this because they got rid of kicks (HURRAH FOR MORE BALANCED ONLINE!) and Glove (double hurrah - stun plus bomb over walls ability AND ability to wrap throw GONE! HURRAH!)
although i add the cavaet that they should have still been optional.

again, you are saying "crappy new perspectives" but the game is totally playable in the 'traditional' view - not seen any videos as i've got the game, so not sure what issues they highlight.

And yes, bomberman with a room full of 10 people is awesome - but you know what? it's a damn sight easier getting 10 friends online than getting ten people to a house. But yes, we did have some great times playing 10 player bomberman - if only my wife didn't win pretty much every single match, then it would have been even more fun. :/

duckroll

I think all that has to be said is that the game is being released in the US as a full price title, and it was reviewed as such. In Japan it was clear that this was nothing more than a budget release of traditional Bomberman + online + a bunch of optional "badass" shit that no one cares about. That was fine, but for the US release, well, sucks to be Hudson!

DCharlie

I think all that has to be said is that the game is being released in the US as a full price title, and it was reviewed as such. In Japan it was clear that this was nothing more than a budget release of traditional Bomberman + online + a bunch of optional "badass" shit that no one cares about. That was fine, but for the US release, well, sucks to be Hudson!

yeah, the price in the US really is a slap in the face to say the least.

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:
well, you don't have to worry about well timed kicks in this because they got rid of kicks (HURRAH FOR MORE BALANCED ONLINE!) and Glove (double hurrah - stun plus bomb over walls ability AND ability to wrap throw GONE! HURRAH!)
although i add the cavaet that they should have still been optional.

You actually made me dislike this game even more with that. I don't view online play as a plus or pro unless the entire package and game is complete or even good. Playing a crap game online doesn't make it anymore fun. To me at least. If it does others then knock yourselves out, I have better stuff to do with my time and if I really wanted to play online I can find better games to do so.

again, you are saying "crappy new perspectives" but the game is totally playable in the 'traditional' view - not seen any videos as i've got the game, so not sure what issues they highlight.

"playable" isn't good enough, not when i've played perfect perspectives. Then again when they take out the glove and kicking I guess having a perfect view matters less. That is still a step backwards and not worthy of praise.

And yes, bomberman with a room full of 10 people is awesome - but you know what? it's a damn sight easier getting 10 friends online than getting ten people to a house. But yes, we did have some great times playing 10 player bomberman - if only my wife didn't win pretty much every single match, then it would have been even more fun. :/

Ha, you sound like weaksauce. I'd own you with my patented timed killer bomb kick. :D

DCharlie

You actually made me dislike this game even more with that. I don't view online play as a plus or pro unless the entire package and game is complete or even good. Playing a crap game online doesn't make it anymore fun. To me at least. If it does others then knock yourselves out, I have better stuff to do with my time and if I really wanted to play online I can find better games to do so.

that's the thing - it's not a crap game online IMO -it's not the best game in the world, but it's not crap. And without playing the game, i really REALLY don't know how you can make that call. It's a poor offline game, which when take online becomes fun. *shrug* or at least it is for me.
"playable" isn't good enough, not when i've played perfect perspectives. Then again when they take out the glove and kicking I guess having a perfect view matters less. That is still a step backwards and not worthy of praise.

again - depends what your perspective is on glove and kick - as i said, they should have been in as options but i personally hate them ESPECIALLY Glove.

Ha, you sound like weaksauce. I'd own you with my patented timed killer bomb kick

probably, but it wouldn't matter as i'd laugh as i watch my wife wipe the floor with you again and again and again and again ;)

garth2000

I guess they decided that the people who play video games have more friends online then they do offline, so they may as well forgo offline play.

E-Nature said:
LOL
seriously, were the programmers drugged when they decided to EXCLUDE offline multiplayer mode?
or did the boss there have some serious brain injuries at this time and was not able to think properly?
2688.gif
:lol :lol :lol

Great avatar.

etiolate

Banned
Yes, this game looks like crap, but people are hating on some of the modern Bomberman games too much. Generations was actually good and one of the gen's underrated games. The multi had nice game options and single player had nifty puzzles and great boss battles.

Top Bottom