• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bon Iver's self-titled vs. Helplessness Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

Bon_iver.jpg

FleetFoxesHelplessness_Blues2011.jpg

Both of these amazing folk albums came out in 2011. Which one did GAF prefer?

For me it's Helplessness Blues. While I think Vernon upped the arrangements on this album, Helplessness Blues has some of the most potent harmonies, due to its baroque influences, refined songwriting and just trimmed a lot of the boring stuff out from their debut. I think while Bon Iver's instrumentation can sound absolutely amazing at times, Vernon doesn't reach the raw emotion that Fleet Foxes deliver (especially vocally), which is exactly what I want from the ideal folk album.

2011 was such a great year for music.

Cuphead

Banned
Helplessness Blues is my favorite in the long run, but Bon Iver was more powerful the first few times I listened.

robotrock

Banned
I have listened to Fleet Fox's first album as well as Bon Iver's first album, but I have not checked out either of their second albums. I should fix this at some point.

comparing those first two albums i'd say i prefer fleet foxes, but that isn't what this thread is about!

Courage

I have listened to Fleet Fox's first album as well as Bon Iver's first album, but I have not checked out either of their second albums. I should fix this at some point.

They're both better than their debuts. A lot of people will disagree in regard to Bon Iver though.

Aurongel

Helplessness Blues sounds beautiful and is just more enjoyable to listen to.

The Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver both are great though.

amnesiac

Both great albums.

I prefer the Fleet Foxes, so I have to go with Helplessness Blues. They greatly improved on their songwriting that album and Robin seemed more comfortable with his voice.

Bon Iver is a great record, too, but sometimes it just gets too cluttered. Too many things going on.

Not really a huge fan of Fleet Foxes.

And as for Bon Iver, I think For Emma Forever Ago was a much better album

But to answer your question, Bon Iver.

Both are amazing albums. Bon Iver has been my default studying/homework album for years now. The ending of that album is a climax of 80's rock and r&b goodness. The Fleet Foxes album had more of a theme than their previous album and EP's, and there is some amazing harmony in that album. Why choose between them?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I still like Fleet Foxes' debut album more, but Helplessness Blues still gets regular play from me. Just some great songs to get a little sad to. I do miss the more angelic sound they had.

fuzzyset

Bon Iver is one of the few albums that I think is perfect. I've listened to it so many times and every song is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom