• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Border patrol group founder sentenced to prison for molestation charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Minuteman Co-Founder Sentenced to 19½ Years for Molesting 5-Year-Old

This is crazy-this guy tried to represent himself and then be able to question his own victim on the stand.

Christopher Simcox, a founder of the now-disbanded Minuteman border patrol group, has been sentenced in Arizona to more than 19 years in prison for sexual abuse of a 5-year-old girl, in a case that drew the attention of the Supreme Court after Mr. Simcox tried to question the young victim.

Mr. Simcox, 55, was found guilty last month of molesting the girl, who was a friend of his 6-year-old daughter, in 2012 and 2013 during scheduled parental visits at his apartment after he and his wife divorced.

The 5-year-old girl told her mother of the abuse, who called law enforcement.

Mr. Simcox’s trial took several unexpected turns. Although he is not a lawyer, Mr. Simcox represented himself and sought to question the girls he was accused of molesting.

Prosecutors brought in an expert to address the trauma it could cause the girls, and they took action in lower courts to block Mr. Simcox, eventually filing a petition that is now before the United States Supreme Court and could have an impact on future case law.

Mr. Simcox allowed his advisory attorney to question the girls instead.

Mr. Simcox was a high-profile advocate of tougher control of borders and undocumented day laborers. He was a founder of a volunteer armed watch group, Civil Homeland Defense, which was created after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and which intercepted undocumented immigrants crossing into Arizona, turning them over to the authorities.

Later, he helped form the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps, which stepped into the national spotlight in 2005 with its border patrols. In 2012, Mr. Simcox told the Southern Poverty Law Center, which was investigating the possible involvement of extremist groups in the killings of Mexicans crossing the Arizona border, that he had left the movement and was living a quiet life tutoring schoolchildren in suburban Phoenix.

The victim’s mother, speaking to reporters after the hearing, said her daughter had not spoken much about the incidents but had great support from her family, according to the Arizona Republic. She said she had recently asked her daughter if she wanted to make a victim impact statement for the sentencing.

“The only thing she said was, ‘He messed with the wrong family,’” the mother said.

When asked for her opinion of Mr. Simcox, the woman said she viewed him “in the same way I would view anybody who did what he did to my child — I’m glad he’s gone.”

The man sounds like a piece of shit and I'm glad he's behind bars. Personally think he should stay there for the remainder of his life.

Mesoian

Why does it feel like the loudest, most extreme fans of closing the borders are the ones who eventually get nailed for some sort of sexual assault? I feel like this is the 4th or 5th case of this happening in the last few months.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Choosing to represent yourself when you have no legal education is the biggest sign you're unstable. It takes a gross turn in a case like this because he gets to question his victims. Probably him grasping at his power over them last time.

19 years, huh?

giphy.gif

Lmo911

Why does it feel like the loudest, most extreme fans of closing the borders are the ones who eventually get nailed for some sort of sexual assault? I feel like this is the 4th or 5th case of this happening in the last few months.

They're proponents of making things "the way they used to be" and back then people got away with a lot more messed up stuff than you realize. Traditional values aren't all they're cracked up to be. Also people like this like to throw as much shade on others so they don't get caught doing what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom