• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

CamHostage

Must suck to be Iron Galaxy because I'm certain the press will pan this port.

Maybe, but they must have known from the get-go that they were up against a wall with this port. I'm not sure what kind of contract they signed (this release was announced ages ago, and it's a bundle release, so chances are they didn't skate with payment based on it being a quickie port,) but maybe their milestones and payment determiners are reasonable and they can just take comfort with their doing their best and the money being what it is. I don't think this will be a decider in whether they get further contracts or if they will see/not see royalties on the release, but then again you never know how crappy a contract can get.

On the Editorial side, the vibe seems to be that reviewers are in a mood of underestimating the power of Vita and are surprised it can pull this game off, so maybe they'll get by with some nice scores. Content value is also high in this release. But you're right, it could swing the other way just as easily.

Hollycat

I've now brought both Gaige and Kreig to level 10, and I have to say, sometimes it's really difficult to tell any difference between this and the console version. Someone deserves a freakin medal for this port seriously. Vita gaf, The new addition to the menu is cordon bleu wrapped in bacon cooked by Jesus. Eat up.

MattyG

Banned
Must suck to be Iron Galaxy because I'm certain the press will pan this port.
It's actually really hard to tell how this is going to do critically. It's a pretty impressive feat, bringing this to the Vita, but I'm curious if critics will see that and give it decent scores, or if they will nitpick about every little difference between this and the console versions.

I'm expecting lots of 6 and 7s personally, with most complaints being about, like I said, downgrades from the console/PC version.

RE_Player

Yeah I hope the press doesn't slam this amazing port. Considering other terrible Vita ports the fact that Iron Galaxy ported one of biggest and demanding games of the previous generation to a handheld in this great a shape is remarkable.

I hope the XCOM Enemy Unknown Vita rumours are true and Iron Galaxy is doing the work, seeing as they have a relationship with 2K and Sony, because I know they would do that game justice.

Kemal86

The wait for the retail release is killer :( Just downloaded the PS3 version I got from Plus awhile back, gonna test out moving over my PC characters from the guide posted earlier in this thread...not sure I'll end up using them but could be fun to mess around with. Was slightly dissapointed to see how expensive it would be to grab all the DLC on PSN, after being used to the ridiculous steam sale prices on it. I'm most interested in playing Mechromancer, which can be done since she's included with the Vita version, but there's no way I'm paying another 10$ for her on PS3 (after also buying her on PC). Unless perhaps the Vita DLC entitlements also apply to PS3...but fat chance at that.

SaiyanRaoh

Hell, I wish I could play it. I've been downloading this thing for SIX HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've tried downloading from the PS3, Vita and even looked for a way to download to PC via that content manager.
The speed is either so slow that it times out with "Can not download" or starts downloading at a good speed and then reverts back to the shit slow, quality sonys store is known for.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Hell, I wish I could play it. I've been downloading this thing for SIX HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've tried downloading from the PS3, Vita and even looked for a way to download to PC via that content manager.
The speed is either so slow that it times out with "Can not download" or starts downloading at a good speed and then reverts back to the shit slow, quality sonys store is known for.
What the....

I was getting a good 2mb/sec from the US store, and i'm in Brisbane! Does seem to be no rhyme or reason for the slowdowns on the store, though. Wonder if it's an ISP thing.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
What the....

I was getting a good 2mb/sec from the US store, and i'm in Brisbane! Does seem to be no rhyme or reason for the slowdowns on the store, though. Wonder if it's an ISP thing.

I am getting the same speeds in asia.

I really think that if.someone out of the country is downloading faster, then it has something to do with your Internet connection.

Don't even bring that up, I'm mad as hell because everything that I try to download is getting this. It took about 900 minutes to download FFX-2 here, while it took me less than 25 minutes to get CS:GO on steam (twice the size).

SaiyanRaoh

I don't get it. I have a 150 mbps connection. and I have great speeds everywhere else with speed tests, downloading, Xbox live, streaming etc. It's sonys problem

BigDug13

I don't get it. I have a 150 mbps connection. and I have great speeds everywhere else with speed tests, downloading, Xbox live, streaming etc. It's sonys problem

Or your ISP is throttling PSN specifically. Others aren't having a problem with Sony's store in various countries so how can it be a Sony thing?

RE_Player

It took me an hour to download all the Borderlands stuff but that's cause my dad was watching Netflix on his iPad. Would have been a lot quicker without that.

Lmao so I sold my code for $30 thinking that this game wouldn't be that good, but the positive opinions in this thread led me to buying another code off a guy for $30.

Lmao so I sold my code for $30 thinking that this game wouldn't be that good, but the positive opinions in this thread led me to buying another code off a guy for $30.

The normal properties of the universe are often upset by the ebb and flow of random Vita ports my friend

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It's definitely a serviceable port. I wish there were more enemies on screen at once.
Yeah, most I've seen is about 5 with more spawning out of doors etc when you kill one. Plenty of times I've been overrun, though. Which speaks more of my prowess with this game than anything else..

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just beat the early boss(es) with the big turret. It was a bit of a challenge due to the extremely poor framerate. I'm glad the game is native res, but I would have liked an option to turn the res variable in scenes like that. Still trying to decide of this port will be a novelty or actually serviceable to play through.

MattyG

Banned
Has anyone done the final boss battle yet? I'm curious to see how that runs. I'd imagine that the framerate tanks pretty bad, but I'd love to be wrong.

Feel your pain. I started 5 hours ago PST. Vita says there's still 2 hours to go.

nampad

All these good impressions really make the wait for the EU release harder :/
Finally another shooter on the Vita and one you can really sink your teeth in as well.

You guys are being a little too generous about how this is a "great port" While I'm actually surprised how well this game turned out after hardly seeing any footage, the game still runs pretty poorly.

Framerate is mostly solid, but it drops pretty hard, and in seemingly random places (seems like it drops in town/tight spaces more than wide open areas). I'd say running at 30fps is a generous estimate, if I had to guess I'd say it's closer to 25, and drops much lower than that at times.

The load times are horrible, although that's not surprising as they're bad on all versions of the game, but they're exceptionally long on this version.

Game is certainly playable, it looks great, and is very fun, but lets not throw a parade in Iron Galaxay's honor, because this thing still has kinks that need to be worked out.

Autofokus

You guys are being a little too generous about how this is a "great port" While I'm actually surprised how well this game turned out after hardly seeing any footage, the game still runs pretty poorly.

Framerate is mostly solid, but it drops pretty hard, and in seemingly random places (seems like it drops in town/tight spaces more than wide open areas). I'd say running at 30fps is a generous estimate, if I had to guess I'd say it's closer to 25, and drops much lower than that at times.

The load times are horrible, although that's not surprising as they're bad on all versions of the game, but they're exceptionally long on this version.

Game is certainly playable, it looks great, and is very fun, but lets not throw a parade in Iron Galaxay's honor, because this thing still has kinks that need to be worked out.

To be fair, taking the PS3 version into account, the performance is pretty similar.
Hovering around the 25fps mark, dipping harder on heavier scenes & some boss fights - load times were around ~20sec. between maps (here it's 20-25sec what I could see from YT videos).

I would say the praise is justified.

The wait is driving me mad. Still more than two weeks away :(

Probably for the best, but yeah it kinda sucks. That they didn't even bother "officially" revealing the release date is odd too. Where's the cheapest place to get it nowadays? I actually had it preordered from Game for £20 but cancelled it because I thought it was a throwaway purchase. But damn, me wants.

wilflare

what are the shift keys for?
restarting my game... accidentally deleted some unlock customization skin and my best weapons T_T

anddo0

what are the shift keys for?
restarting my game... accidentally deleted some unlock customization skin and my best weapons T_T

They're golden keys that give you special rewards (rare guns). The higher your level, the better the reward.. Pro tip: don't use it until much later in the game.

newsguy

So I'll admit, when I started playing I was a little iffy. I hadn't played BL2 since launch and even then I only played like a quarter of the story. The early guns are so weak that it's an instant turn off. But about an hour in it clicked. I lit some guys on fire with my elemental gun and remembered just how fun it is to get better weapons. There are some framerate drops, sometimes literal pauses, but nothing game breaking.

anddo0

I think I found a bug with the bagpack.

I have four guns in my backpack, but when I look in the inventory they're not there. It's empty, and the only way to get them to show up is by going to a vending machine and clicking on the sell option.

Saphirax

I have four guns in my backpack, but when I look in the inventory they're not there. It's empty, and the only way to get them to show up is by going to a vending machine and clicking on the sell option.

It's not a bug, happens in other versions as well. You just need to change your sorting to be able to see them again.

wilflare

I restarted my game... thinking I sold them. UGH

rschauby

Banned
It's really growing on me the more I play. I feel like it's a very competent port.

Definitely. Once I got my controls set up how I wanted and had some time to get used to them the game has gotten much more fun.

Lots of the shortcomings people are picking out are minor, and a majority existed on the consoles. And the minor problems it does have don't at all prevent this from being super fun.

I really hope we get the remaining DC and a few small patches and this will be the best handheld game ever.

Definitely. Once I got my controls set up how I wanted and had some time to get used to them the game has gotten much more fun.

Lots of the shortcomings people are picking out are minor, and a majority existed on the consoles. And the minor problems it does have don't at all prevent this from being super fun.

I really hope we get the remaining DC and a few small patches and this will be the best handheld game ever.

What control scheme did you do?

I have never played a Borderlands game and was really looking forward to this, someone flat out tell me - is it playable? Or will I be consistently annoyed or frustrated?

rschauby

Banned
I have never played a Borderlands game and was really looking forward to this, someone flat out tell me - is it playable? Or will I be consistently annoyed or frustrated?

It's more than playable. None of the minor issues will prevent you from enjoying this game.

rschauby

Banned
how deep is control customization?

Can you map stuff to the front touchscreen or just the back?

how about gyro?

Every button, except the d-pad (the 4 weapons) , can be swapped with another. Unfortunately, the rear TouchPad requires something be mapped. Most people who dislike the rear touchpad are putting crouch and weapon swap back there.

There are 2 "buttons" on the rear and 2 on the front (each side is one).

Gyro aiming is in, but I don't see any sensitivity adjustments. Unfortunately for those who invert y-axis aiming, the gyro aiming inverts as well when that option is selected ; but this has to be a bug which hopefully gets fixed as no one inverts gyro aiming.... right?

Every button, except the d-pad (the 4 weapons) , can be swapped with another. Unfortunately, the rear TouchPad requires something be mapped. Most people who dislike the rear touchpad are putting crouch and weapon swap back there.

There are 2 "buttons" on the rear and 2 on the front (each side is one).

Gyro aiming is in, but I don't see any sensitivity adjustments. Unfortunately for those who invert y-axis aiming, the gyro aiming inverts as well when that option is selected ; but this has to be a bug which hopefully gets fixed as no one inverts gyro aiming.... right?

thats retarded. why not give the option to split the front touch to 4 buttons or just give some dang virtual buttons? Those worked ok for unit 51.

Top Bottom