• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 Is Getting Splitscreen and 4K@60FPS on Next-Gen

Tripolygon

Banned
Borderlands 3 is also coming to next-gen consoles, with the single player confirmed to run at 4K resolution and 60 frames per second on Sony's PlayStation 5 and Microsoft's Xbox Series X. Beyond that, the power of the new consoles also enables local co-op for three and four players via splitscreen. A vertical splitscreen option is coming, too, and it'll be available on current-generation consoles as well.

If you already own Borderlands 3 on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One and want to play on the next-gen consoles, Gearbox announced that the upgrade will be free as long as you play within the same family (PlayStation or Xbox). Add-on content and save files will be supported in the transition, too.

Last but not least, Gearbox also confirmed that cross-play will be finally released at some point in 2021, though no further details were provided at this time.

Source

Deliver me smartly if old

tuco11

Will load times be decreased? I literally fell asleep farming waiting for level to load . Have a ton of hours into my Zane build but I stopped playing. Farming got to boring.

sn0man

4K resolution and 60 frames per second on Sony's PlayStation 5 and Microsoft's Xbox Series X. Beyond that, the power of the new consoles also enables local co-op for three and four players via splitscreen.
Yes! I’ve been rewarded for waiting to purchase a borderlands game finally. I’ve rebought their first game like twice for similar gFX and split screen upgrades. My wife and I will have plenty of looting and shooting for years to come.

HoodWinked

Will load times be decreased? I literally fell asleep farming waiting for level to load . Have a ton of hours into my Zane build but I stopped playing. Farming got to boring.
i mean you gotta know that the new consoles will have SSDs and a large focus of the architecture of the new consoles is getting data from the SSD to memory faster.

Duallusion

It's also getting new DLC and one extra skill tree per character by the end of the year, not to mention how loading times on nextgen consoles will improve the whole experience.

This game is in dire need of an actual mobbing endgame though (something along the lines of adventure mode on DIII) so I really hope next DLC will focus on that and give us an option to level-up new characters without having to run yet another main storyline run to get to mayhem mode.

Yes! I’ve been rewarded for waiting to purchase a borderlands game finally. I’ve rebought their first game like twice for similar gFX and split screen upgrades. My wife and I will have plenty of looting and shooting for years to come.

This is only half the news. The game is also getting new skill trees, and new campaign DLC. I'd expect a 60 dollar next gen version that includes the base game, season one pass, and new expansion. Or you can buy the game for 15 dollars right now, and buy all the DLC separately. Your choice.

I'm betting that's what will happen.

scalman

but it wont change those flat ground textures or any other stuff just raise resolution, sure its nice and free upgrade for next gen is good move who allready has it , but not sure i will want to play it again just because its on 4k, it looks fine as it is now maxed.

Kokoloko85

Next gen is gonna have even more ”HD” ports than this gen and last.
Luckily alot will be free and at 4K and 60fps so they are welcomed. Instead of paying for it.
I wonder if there is a list of games getting free upgrades for next gen like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 etc

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That's how it's done 505 and other greedy mofos
The situation where they showed, that update to XSX/PS5 is just fucking config file, which appeared firstly to owner of OG game as if they own it, they lost totally any bullshit they had.

With SSD’s, that’s a given and doesn’t even really need to be asked.

Skifi28

It was supposed to be 60fps on the "pro" consoles too and that didn't turn out so well. I'll believe it when I see it.

Tschumi

That's great. But borderlands 2 plays on my overclocked Vita without a hitch. It's hardly the most demanding series, graphically.

Zathalus

It was supposed to be 60fps on the "pro" consoles too and that didn't turn out so well. I'll believe it when I see it.
The Xbox One X delivers a locked 1800p 30 FPS. 4k 60 FPS would be roughly 2.9 times the amount of pixels to render by comparison.

Considering the XSX has a CPU 4-5 times as powerful and a GPU almost 3 times as powerful (without using the new features such as VRS, FP16, and Mesh Shaders), it hardly seems unlikely for the XSX at least. PS5 would be a bit trickier with the GPU power it has available, but it should be doable as well.

Grinchy

Banned
No performance increases can make this a good game. Damn is it annoying and tedious to play. It just has no soul and doesn't really do any one aspect well. Complete mediocrity and comedic whiffs.

Max_Po

Banned
No performance increases can make this a good game. Damn is it annoying and tedious to play. It just has no soul and doesn't really do any one aspect well. Complete mediocrity and comedic whiffs.

Instead of bitching, how about you show some appreciation that the content will be free.

4k/60 without upping the graphics seems like a waste to me.

Series X could do 1440p/60 at ultra settings. Like, looking at benchmarks a 2080 can do that without dropping below 60fps (lowest is 61fps). PS5 would need to reduce some settings to do the same. Pushing that LOD out does more than upping resolution.

They could do their graphics modes like this

Resolution mode: 4K/30 ultra settings (an RTX 2080 manages 33-37fps)
4k Performance mode: 4k/60 current gen graphics
Performance mode: 1440p/60 ultra settings

But it's nice to see that we get a free upgrade and saves transfer. Since I had to get this on Playstation, and I have a Pro, I was forced to play this at 900p (yes, this is what the game ran at in resolution mode with 1080p output) so I'm looking forward to play the DLCs at higher resolutions.

Last edited:

TVexperto

Played this last night. Its amazing. Game is actually fun to play on console now. Sold it actually after PS4 launch cause it was so laggy and broken but image is now very sharp and texture incredibly detailed on ps5. also that 120fps mode is crazy good.

BL3 was fun, but it REALLY needs that 60fps mode. The frame rate isn’t too good on the PS4 Pro unless you try performance mode and it still has hiccups if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
This was my least favorite BL game to date when it released on ps4...it is now most likely my favorite, or a close second to BL2. It is so buttery smooth on ps5 in performance mode. This is how the game was supposed to be. If you were on the fence about it on ps4 and you have a ps5, Ihighly recommend checking it out. Also, new trophies 😉

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This was my least favorite BL game to date when it released on ps4...it is now most likely my favorite, or a close second to BL2. It is so buttery smooth on ps5 in performance mode. This is how the game was supposed to be. If you were on the fence about it on ps4 and you have a ps5, Ihighly recommend checking it out. Also, new trophies 😉
The PS5 update is as good of a next gen upgrade as I have seen. I can't tell a difference between visual and performance mode. I just leave it on performance mode because it makes more sense.

My biggest knock against the game when it came out was the amount of crashes it caused and overall instability. Those were awful.

The PS5 update is as good of a next gen upgrade as I have seen. I can't tell a difference between visual and performance mode. I just leave it on performance mode because it makes more sense.

My biggest knock against the game when it came out was the amount of crashes it caused and overall instability. Those were awful.
Same....my biggest gripe was the frame rate and frame drops during heavy gun fights...that is completely absent now.

Top Bottom