• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 Review Thread

Kagey K

Banned
Only a few days left and I’ll finally be playing this. Feels like I’ve been waiting forever.

That PCgamer review could be the only review and it could be sitting at 63 on Metacritic and I wouldn’t give a shit. Went all in on the super deluxe edition just for all the DLCs and to save a few bucks before the price hike.

It’s almost time to go empty some vaults, Hunter.

MMaRsu

Banned
Only a few days left and I’ll finally be playing this. Feels like I’ve been waiting forever.

That PCgamer review could be the only review and it could be sitting at 63 on Metacritic and I wouldn’t give a shit. Went all in on the super deluxe edition just for all the DLCs and to save a few bucks before the price hike.

It’s almost time to go empty some vaults, Hunter.

Im sure Randy could piss on your face and you'd still stan for the game.

Kagey K

Banned
Im sure Randy could piss on your face and you'd still stan for the game.
I don’t give a fuck about Randy Pitchford or Gearbox or 2K. I don’t know them and they don’t know me.

I like to play games that I find fun, as a way to relax after I get home and deal with my family and kids. This game seems fun to me and they haven’t done me wrong so far.

Sorry that you don’t like it. Maybe you should stop pretending Randy pissed on your face and look at games for what they are.

Last edited:

Masatshi

ok thank you. it worries me a little seeing that all the reviews cover the PC version, like Gearbox gave out only PC review-codes, cause the console-ports are bad or something... I'll wait for proper console reviews. lately too many AAA-games let me down at launch...

Kagey K

Banned
ok thank you. it worries me a little seeing that all the reviews cover the PC version, like Gearbox gave out only PC review-codes, cause the console-ports are bad or something... I'll wait for proper console reviews. lately too many AAA-games let me down at launch...
They gave out review codes as brand new EGS accounts to select reviewers, regardless of if they already had an EGS account or not.

It looks like they didn’t give out any console codes, but if you have been watching Twitch or Mixer lately there is a bunch of console footage out there. Just not as official reviews.

Lanrutcon

I don't see how they can fuck this up on the PC. It's the same engine/art style/gameplay as the last 3 games. They're not exactly pushing any boundaries here.

It's not some experimental underfunded Eurojank Unity game, is what I'm saying.

Lesleyy

Neo Member
"What is it? A chatty looter shooter with a pure heart and weak humor."

Saying Borderlands has weak humor is like saying water is wet. Like, it's supposed to be a certain type of humour. That's what makes it Borderlands (and gives it its charm, imo). It's baffling to me how people can be so oblivious

Kagey K

Banned

Saying Borderlands has weak humor is like saying water is wet. Like, it's supposed to be a certain type of humour. That's what makes it Borderlands (and gives it its charm, imo). It's baffling to me how people can be so oblivious
Weak jokes is what I do. I’m like quick guys best vegetable at a party?” Mushroom cuz he’s a fungi.

Nosiest vegetable? The pepper cuz it’s all-up in yo business (jalapeño) if they make those jokes I’m good.

Lesleyy

Neo Member
Weak jokes is what I do. I’m like quick guys best vegetable at a party?” Mushroom cuz he’s a fungi.

Nosiest vegetable? The pepper cuz it’s all-up in yo business (jalapeño) if they make those jokes I’m good.

Love that second one :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Eliciel

Judged based on what I have read, I would summarize the Game being true to the Borderlands Formula. it's good enough, but it's deliberatley lazy in the Department of re-inventing Things- maybe it is even scared trying to... therefore, It simply continues it's legacy with self-conscious improvements. However, nothing Stands Out. As a matter of fact one day they will have to get somewhat braver in that regard. Change can be good in the right dosage and with good execution.

I do not believe that they intentionally got lazy on the Calypso Villains. They wanted to merge current World realities with the Borderlands Formula - unfortunately our World has become exhausting in its own way. Like-Follow-Obey describes our world quite accurate. I don't even know If their portray will BE bothering us or If we are actually bothered by the Stage this World is in. Maybe being accurate with a portrait in this Case Means being super bothering...

However, I think they should have focussed on intelligent Villains with a deepness to their mindset. Counteracts the void of looting 24/7.

I am hooked to Play it and Experience IT myself and I am interested to see how I Like the Game First hand.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Seems there's some bullshit surrounding reviewers not getting copies:

We’ve been told by 2K that no advanced copies have been sent out to UK press and while we haven’t checked with everyone VG247 are already complaining about the same treatment.

The end result is that a small number of US and European PC reviews are likely to be the only ones this week. Depending on when exactly review copies are sent out to everyone else, we might be able to do ours before the end of the week but more likely it won’t be till next week. (
Source - Metro UK)

Strange really. I don't know what to make of it.

Last edited:

I see his white knighting paid off.

edit:
85u0yze.jpg

Or not cause I see GameSpot got a code :D

Last edited:

Dynasty8

But BL1 is better than BL2.

Nope.

Helllllllllllll No.

My guess is that this whole review stuff is just Gearbox/2K power tripping again. They were very selective with the outlets they sent review codes to and in this day and age it's kind of hard to blame them (see Dave Chappelle's Sticks and Stones on Rotten Tomatoes). Borderlands franchise is heavy on the comedy....and comedy in 2019 is not the same as it was in 2012. Just my thoughts.

ethomaz

Banned
Helllllllllllll No.
Well...

- Borderlands 1 is less learn and give you more sense of open exploration
- Borderlands 1 has more challenging
- Borderlands 1 has better economy
- Borderlands 1 has better level up system
- Borderlands 1 has better characters
- Borderlands 1 has better dialogues and characters/NPC interactions
- Borderlands 1 has better weapons (and better drop rate)

- Borderlands 2 has better story?

Said that both games has a lot of gameplay issues but the first one was more fun to play imo.

Last edited:
If I could summarize what I'm gathering from the "professional reviews" of this game...

All Reviewers: It's more of the same!
Half of Reviewers: Yay!!
Other Half of Reviewers: Boo!!

Iorv3th

I really didn't care for some of the 'humor' in BL2. Especially tiny tina. Hopefully it's not a bunch of that again. She was a lot better in the d&d dlc. But the base game it was just grating and annoying to me for some reason.

MMaRsu

Banned
I don’t give a fuck about Randy Pitchford or Gearbox or 2K. I don’t know them and they don’t know me.

I like to play games that I find fun, as a way to relax after I get home and deal with my family and kids. This game seems fun to me and they haven’t done me wrong so far.

Sorry that you don’t like it. Maybe you should stop pretending Randy pissed on your face and look at games for what they are.

Who's saying I don't like it? I have played all Borderlands games, finished them on 360, ps3 and ps4 and pc even lol. I just find it weird to have such blind faith in Gearbox looking at their recent games, Battleborn, Aliens Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem Forever.

I also remember Randy Pitchford being very happy with himself talking about how he loved those franchises (duke/aliens) and would do them right. But when the games turned out to be shit, didn't hesitate to put the blame on other developers.

So if someone who reviews the games,tells you they love Borderlands 2, Tales of the Borderlands, and is saying that he lost 6 hour progress, quests that bug out and get stuck, the game is the same as Borderlands 2 but with a worse endgame.

I am not excited. You can be if you want, but saying shit like " Ohh well this review could be the only one and I'd still buy it" makes you seem like a fanboy. If you play games for fun, you'd wanna make sure what you spent 60 dollars/euro's on is worth the price of admission.

And with a lot of games recently, a lot of games are just released unfinished. The word of a terrible endgame doesn't really fill me with hope.

I get what you're saying, and I liked Borderlands 1 and 2's humor. It was weak and stupid but got a chuckle out of me on a fairly regular basis as I like laughing.

The problem for me came with Borderlands 2's DLCs. It wasn't that it was weak, the problem is it became preachy. The feeling I got was that the writers thought they were being somewhat subliminal and trying to inject moral grandstanding and virtue-signaling, but in reality they were just ham-fisted and annoying. In some cases it really deflated my desire to keep playing.

That, the Epic Store shenanigans, and Randy and 2K's behavior makes me hesitate. And I bought both original games, all DLC and the Handsome Collection and thoroughly enjoyed them before all this...

MMaRsu

Banned
They’re probably not giving out review codes to sites because it’s a popular game, they’re confident and they don’t need some talentless dickweeds dragging it down.

In this day and age, who gives a fuck about reviews?

If they were confident, they would send it to everyone.

This fucking logic you are going here baffles me brother.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The issues with the end game are definitely worrying me. I don't understand how so many loot based shooters seem to constantly run into this issue.

MMaRsu

Banned
Then why do you keep coming back into the thread to say that? We know. We don't care. Days Gone was the same BS.

What? Keep coming back into the thread? I am coming back to reply to my replies and quotes?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know this was circlejerk central where only positive opinions is to be posted :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Fucking hilarious.

Dthomp

Glad to see another gamer much like myself. I don't give two fucks about the people behind the scenes. Their job is to make a game that I want to play and will enjoy and give them my 60 bucks, that is the only arrangement that should be in place. They don't care what I do at home, and I don't care about them. Give me a game that I'll enjoy and make me NOT sit and worry about real world nonsense. More people need to become a little less involved in everybody elses shit IMO.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Apparently only outlets approved by 2K got a review copy
I bet it's directly connected to the shit show they brewed with the EPIC Exclusivity. They are trying to stave off the SJW's and the Epic torch mob, probably saving review codes for those who haven't expressed vehement opposition to their recent practices.

I can't say I blame them. If you know you aren't gonna get a fair shake, what else can you do to balance the scales?

Top Bottom