• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 Review Thread

MMaRsu

Banned
Uhh.. what? Why would SJW's be over this game, Hammerlock has been gay since Borderlands 2 and in Borderlands 3 you supposedly go on a quest related to it, the games have their "strong power women" , Borderlands 2 was all about "inclusivity" and if you don't believe me

Now, why are these characters gay or bisexual? The answer is simple: we wanted to make our cast more diverse and inclusive, and it cost us effectively nothing to do so. We’ve received only a few negative emails or forum feedback about these characters. In fact, the positive feedback faroutweighed the negative feedback – how often can you say that on the Internet – and by being more inclusive, we’ve potentially increased our audience. In the future, I’d like to be even more overt in discussing the sexuality of gay or bisexual characters

So I would figure the people who would be anti SJW would actually be up in arms about this game, but crazily enough, some people seem to think that Gearbox is the good guy in this and that they are just trying to stave off SJW's and Epic Torch mob :messenger_tears_of_joy: . Fucking hilarious logic here.

Also that one guy who said they were super confident in their product is why they only sent out a few review codes.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Glad to see another gamer much like myself. I don't give two fucks about the people behind the scenes. Their job is to make a game that I want to play and will enjoy and give them my 60 bucks, that is the only arrangement that should be in place. They don't care what I do at home, and I don't care about them. Give me a game that I'll enjoy and make me NOT sit and worry about real world nonsense. More people need to become a little less involved in everybody elses shit IMO.

Randy keeps putting his shit out on the internets, not the other way around though. People aren't digging up old controversial shit he's saying, he keeps putting his foot in his mouth.

Good that you don't give a shit about the people behind the scenes, I don't really either, but I do care about studio output. Gearbox hasn 't put out a good game since Borderlands 2 so I'm wary of barely any reviews, and the ones that talk about bugs are being put down like they have a grind to gear with Gearbox.

While PC Gamer has actually been promoting Borderlands 3 and Epic's stuff in a very positive light. So yeah that theory doesn't even hold water.

Helios

In their latest podcast, Giant Bomb co-founder and editor Jeff Gerstmann claimed that a 2K Games representative categorically refused to send any review copy in advance due to Giant Bomb’s past coverage. It was not about security concerns but rather the risk of getting a low score.

When we inquired about it we were not told ‘hey, there are security concerns’, we were told – and I’m paraphrasing here – but we were told by a 2k PR representative that based on the sentiment of our E3 coverage that they were going to send it to us closer to launch.

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
I'm still on the fence here, but the PC Gamer 63 review column, like the actual review, the prose, did more to influence me to buy the game than the numerical score they assigned is influencing me not to. It's like they don't match up or something haha

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I wonder why
I personally don't buy into the whole reviews are bought thing, especially since Colin Moriarty himself said it doesn't happen at IGN, unless of course things have changed since he left. I just found the reviewer's delivery to be a bit manufactured. That's not to say it is though, some people just don't sound very natural when reading off a script.

Helios

I personally don't buy into the whole reviews are bought thing, especially since Colin Moriarty himself said it doesn't happen at IGN, unless of course things have changed since he left. I just found the reviewer's delivery to be a bit manufactured. That's not to say it is though, some people just don't sound very natural when reading off a script.
They don't have to be bought. But when your job relies on both advertisements AND not pissing off these companies otherwise they don't provide you with early codes that's when it's starting to raise some question marks.

DarkestHour

Banned
I got the game despite the negative criticism and it's so much better than the internet thinks. Zero performance issues and it is fun. Same Borderlands crap I know and love.

TBH I can't really understand all the hype around Borderlands series. Those are just looter-shooter type games like Destiny or Warframe. Sure it has more humour and it's art felt fresh at the time Borderlands came out. But these series are just so boring to play despite all the positives about it.

Kagey K

Banned
It’s the best game that you can play this year, end of.
It deserves to win a bunch of awards and will be snubbed by everyone,

Yet they will all be secretly playing it while waiting for part 4.

MMaRsu

Banned
It’s the best game that you can play this year, end of.
It deserves to win a bunch of awards and will be snubbed by everyone,

Yet they will all be secretly playing it while waiting for part 4.

The best game 🤣

In your opinion fine, dont state it as a fact when it isnt.

Duallusion

TBH I can't really understand all the hype around Borderlands series. Those are just looter-shooter type games like Destiny or Warframe. Sure it has more humour and it's art felt fresh at the time Borderlands came out. But these series are just so boring to play despite all the positives about it.

It's a good, to me even a great game if you're into that sort of thing - simple as that.

And Warframe is far less of a "looter-shooter" then some are making it out to be by even mentioning it in this context. It doesn't function the same way and doesn't quite scratch the same itch.

It's a good, to me even a great game if you're into that sort of thing - simple as that.

And Warframe is far less of a "looter-shooter" then some are making it out to be by even mentioning it in this context. It doesn't function the same way and doesn't quite scratch the same itch.
I've really tried playing 1st part and only felt any joy on 4th hour of my playthrough. Heard people saying that original Borderlands is just a bleak game. I will give a chance to a 2nd part, but base upon watching streams even this game doesn't seem that good.

I've got the same thing with MMORPG. I don't want to waste my time on constant farming

Cranberrys

For me, the problem with reviews is that most of the time, the journalist doesn't put himself in the place of the core audience of the game. Each game is aimed at a specific audience. Rather than judging a game on empirical criterias, it would be smarter to determine what audience the game wants to seduce.

For example, The Order has been copiously destroyed by critics and, personally, I loved it. I loved it because it corresponded exactly to what I expected, a cinematic action game set in a universe that I found attractive, with characters that I liked and a story that hooked me. I'm not pretending anything else, I'm not trying to prove that it's a great game, I just had a blast playing it, that's it.

"The Order is a cinematic action game that takes place in the world of dystopian industrial revolution, if you like short, very cinematic experiences with stunning visuals and a slightly gothic atmosphere, a gameplay that does its job, secret societies and werewolves, if you like that kind of stuff you can take a look, if you prefer games with sophisticated gameplay mechanics and you don't like cinematic experiences or short games, there's nothing for you here."

It's a clear, simple account that details exactly what the game is.

If journalists do just that, it would eliminate many controversies. A review is an objective report, it's not about a game being good or bad according to the criterias of the person reviewing it, because it's not objective. I do not ask the journalist his opinion, I don't know him, he doesn't know what I like and what I dislike in a game. I just ask him to tell me exactly what the game he's reviewing is, to what audience it's targeted at so that I can determine if I'm part of that audience and if I may like that game, that's it.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Destiny exists because of borderlands and is actually a terrible version of it. Borderlands is unmatched in its genre.

Reactions: Fuz
Uhh.. what? Why would SJW's be over this game, Hammerlock has been gay since Borderlands 2 and in Borderlands 3 you supposedly go on a quest related to it, the games have their "strong power women" , Borderlands 2 was all about "inclusivity" and if you don't believe me

So I would figure the people who would be anti SJW would actually be up in arms about this game, but crazily enough, some people seem to think that Gearbox is the good guy in this and that they are just trying to stave off SJW's and Epic Torch mob :messenger_tears_of_joy: . Fucking hilarious logic here.

Also that one guy who said they were super confident in their product is why they only sent out a few review codes.

Borderlands 3 is actually pretty super in your face with it's "woman power" message. It doesn't really bother me but even I was surprised how "beat you over the head" the game is with it's messaging.

I mean the end credits song is Alicia Keys' "This girl is on fire"

Fuz

Banned

I don't know about BL3, but in BL2 that wasn't a "in your face" thing, it was done very tactfully and not in a confrontational manner. Those characters were cool, they weren't there with the only reason of pushing an agenda and their sexuality wasn't their only defining factor.

EDIT: Just thought something... TPS was a bigger offender in that regard (and TPS writing and humour were terrible compared to BL2), with things like Torgue preaching "respect women" or that gay girl that reminded you she was gay every single time you talked to her. BL2 is more than fine.

Gearbox hasn 't put out a good game since Borderlands 2

Did the make any good game other than BL1 and BL2?

They don't have to be bought. But when your job relies on both advertisements AND not pissing off these companies otherwise they don't provide you with early codes that's when it's starting to raise some question marks.
Review copies, advertising on your site, invites to events...
Destiny exists because of borderlands and is actually a terrible version of it. Borderlands is unmatched in its genre.
This, exactly. Destiny came out in the tailwind of Borderlands.

Last edited:

BadSector

Banned
theGeek 7.3

"All-in-all an okay sequel, with lots of technical issues, and feels a bit too safe. The DLCs might give it a bit more punch as in the previous games’ cases."

Did the make any good game other than BL1 and BL2?

The Brothers In Arms series was very well regarded by fans and liked by critics. In fact I would say it had a fanbase that was more hardcore than Borderlands for their love of the series.

It also had very little divisiveness if none at all hardly other than that some were disappointed in the sequel Hell's Highway.

YordyAn

Neo Member
I have made a guide for new/old players who wants to get better at the game. There are settings and gears for what you can use to get better. I hope you guys find it helpful and useful!
I want to write some guides about gaming and get into gaming media. Let me know if I missed something.

Top Bottom