• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Thrakier

I have a hard time connecting to thise game. I'm playing online and always get joined by high level players, so I can't kill shit anymore and basically they need me to guide through the stages. I think this game is pretty boring so far. In face I even think it's kinda super boring. I don't know. Any trick to get into it?

Thrakier said:
I have a hard time connecting to thise game. I'm playing online and always get joined by high level players, so I can't kill shit anymore and basically they need me to guide through the stages. I think this game is pretty boring so far. In face I even think it's kinda super boring. I don't know. Any trick to get into it?
1.Play it with a friend
2. It's diablo with guns. It's about the loot and shoot. Anything else is kinda meh, tbh.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thrakier said:

I personally enjoy the game most in SP...

Thrakier

Freedom = $1.05 said:
1.Play it with a friend
2. It's diablo with guns. It's about the loot and shoot. Anything else is kinda meh, tbh.

I love diablo, but for some reason I think diablo is amazing in regards to everything. Borderlands seems to be only average in everything... :( Fuck, I feel like I wasted 15$...

Ledsen

Thrakier said:

You have to play with friends.

R1CHO

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So I just got the GOTY off the Steam Sale, is there anyway to enable VSync? I'm getting a ton of screen tearing.

Borderlands config tool:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=85874

Also the game looks great with FXAA at no cost:

http://hotfile.com/dl/126721760/6694e76/injectFxaa_by_some_dude_10.7z.html

And if you wanna use the 360 controller:

My Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config

open WillowGame.ini
change FakePlatform=-1 to 1

And remember to change the fov to an appropriate value.

With all that, the game looks pretty good.

Chris R

And yea, after spending a few hours downloading 1.6 GB for the Claptrap DLC (over 3g :( ) I can say it was worth the 2.50 I spent. Blowing up Claptraps is worth the price of admission alone.

So i bought the dlc pack on the weekend and am currently in my second playthrough from pre-dlc era. Should i wait until after my second playthrough to do any of them or are they part of the leveling experience. I am currently lvl 46.

Desmond said:
Hey I got 1000 GS on my xbox version and wanna do the same with my PS3 one. What's the quickest way to earn money?
How about joining a General Knoxx and stealing some crawmerax loot? I haven't done this before though.

Gaspode_T

Wow I thought there would be a thread in Community for this...had to resort to search engine searching

I'm finally getting back into Borderlands which I have Games on Demand on 360 with most of the DLC I got on sale.

I kind of decided to make some progress and rushed to Sledge's Safehouse, boy that might have been a bad idea. I think I was Level 12 when I entered it, and after maybe 15 or 20 deaths now I am Level 14 but I was getting a bit frustrated by dying and losing so much money buying health packs so I decided to back out and fast traveled to some sort of L35 DLC place LOL, just grabbing money there made some of my money woes go away. Then I fast traveled back to Fyrestone and found out there were a bunch of jobs on the side quest board that I somehow had missed, that's probably why I was underleveled going to that Sledge's place.

I realized one of the guns I was using was still a L6 one too LOL

It's a pretty fun game even though I usually don't like FPS games that much. My enjoyment of it dropped like a rock inside that Sledge's Safehouse not because of difficulty but because I enjoy the outdoor parts a lot more than claustrophobic cooridor fighting.

Playing Soldier, mostly putting my points into the Infantry gun skills.

Now I'm doing side quests, I tried to do was take down second round of the Arena sidequest with the rocket launcher I got in Sledge's place (hard fought to get that too) and just barely died because for some reason I keep running out of ammo on all my guns.

Raide

Gaspode_T said:
Wow I thought there would be a thread in Community for this...had to resort to search engine searching

I'm finally getting back into Borderlands which I have Games on Demand on 360 with most of the DLC I got on sale.

I kind of decided to make some progress and rushed to Sledge's Safehouse, boy that might have been a bad idea. I think I was Level 12 when I entered it, and after maybe 15 or 20 deaths now I am Level 14 but I was getting a bit frustrated by dying and losing so much money buying health packs so I decided to back out and fast traveled to some sort of L35 DLC place LOL, just grabbing money there made some of my money woes go away. Then I fast traveled back to Fyrestone and found out there were a bunch of jobs on the side quest board that I somehow had missed, that's probably why I was underleveled going to that Sledge's place.

I realized one of the guns I was using was still a L6 one too LOL

It's a pretty fun game even though I usually don't like FPS games that much. My enjoyment of it dropped like a rock inside that Sledge's Safehouse not because of difficulty but because I enjoy the outdoor parts a lot more than claustrophobic cooridor fighting.

Playing Soldier, mostly putting my points into the Infantry gun skills.

Now I'm doing side quests, I tried to do was take down second round of the Arena sidequest with the rocket launcher I got in Sledge's place (hard fought to get that too) and just barely died because for some reason I keep running out of ammo on all my guns.

Some of the difficulty from playing Borderlands is down to luck...or lack or it. Sometimes you can find a really good gun early on and it makes some stuff really easy. Other times you get stuck with something crappy, which makes every fight take ages.

All I will say is make sure you do plenty of the side-quests before you jump into the main ones. Some give out a few good weapons but you mainly want it for the xp.

If you play any level where they are a few levels above you, it can be pretty horrible to make headway.

For the Soldier, you may want to put more into your Turret to help you level. It works great if you just throw it around and let it do most of the work. :D

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Turret is also good for eating aggro initially though I will admit it does get a bit less sustainable by itself later on in other playthroughs.

After playing so much Borderlands 2 over the past few weeks (Gamescom, PAX, GS Managers Expo).. I decided to fire up Borderlands 1 on my home PC.

I have been playing with our Web App Director. :) Fun times! I usually have these stints where I crave a normal playthrough of Borderlands every few months even though I interact with the game and other games every day at work.

Seanspeed

Banned
GBX_AdamF said:
Turret is also good for eating aggro initially though I will admit it does get a bit less sustainable by itself later on in other playthroughs.
Thats what I used it for mainly. I upgrade its recharge time skills and focus the rest of my points on personal upgrades.

Anyways, I just found out yesterday that when you beat your second playthrough main story, everything(most everything), including the DLC, scales up to level 60! That was a nice little surprise! At level 58, I thought I was pretty much done.

Borderlands 2 looks absolutely incredible, by the way. I only recently discovered Borderlands and its been one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in a while. Great work.

Thrakier said:

I got the game at launch and haven't played more than 5 hours of it. Nobody I know has it and the SP is incredibly dull, what with there being little to no story in an incredibly empty world.

Tried with randoms but I only got dickheads and an 11 year old Scandinavian boy, which was just too odd, so I quit, lol.

Seanspeed

Banned
Phonomezer said:
I got the game at launch and haven't played more than 5 hours of it. Nobody I know has it and the SP is incredibly dull, what with there being little to no story in an incredibly empty world.

Tried with randoms but I only got dickheads and an 11 year old Scandinavian boy, which was just too odd, so I quit, lol.
I only played single-player and had a great time. The lack of story never really bothers me in a game, so long as there's a good sense of progression, which games like Borderlands still have. And I dont think I've ever kept playing a game to know what happens next in the plotline. No, I want to see what new areas I open up, what new enemies I'll find, what new loot I'll pick up, etc.

Koomaster

Raide said:
For the Soldier, you may want to put more into your Turret to help you level. It works great if you just throw it around and let it do most of the work. :D
One of the friends I play with, has either skill points devoted to it or maybe it's a class mod - but his turret will refill health/ammo for us when we are in range. So amazingly useful. Never had to buy bullets or worry about looting them again. I mainly use the SMG which is a bullet eating machine, so I'm glad to have him on my team. ^____^

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How do class mods work... specifically... if I have a skill maxed already, does that negate any bonus that would be given by a class mod? Also, will I get a the class mod bonus for skill I don't have any points in yet?

Another question... is it possible to re-spec at a point in the game? Because I think I've made a couple poor skill choices.

benjipwns

Banned
Evolved1 said:
How do class mods work... specifically... if I have a skill maxed already, does that negate any bonus that would be given by a class mod? Also, will I get a the class mod bonus for skill I don't have any points in yet?
Class mods add on top of your skills. I believe you have to have at least one point in the skill though.
Another question... is it possible to re-spec at a point in the game? Because I think I've made a couple poor skill choices.
All the New-U stations let you do it. (What you spawn next to.)

HeySeuss

Evolved1 said:

Class mods are on top of everything else. And if you go to a New-U station you can reconfigure your skill tree for a cost.

Can anybody explain the online play? Evertime I go to an arena, I can't do anything. Is it possible to play with random or can I only play with friends? I'm finally up to a semi-respectable level and want to play some duels. Perhaps even co-op helping people level up. I'm at level 49 berserker.

benjipwns

Banned
Shick Brithouse said:
Can anybody explain the online play? Evertime I go to an arena, I can't do anything. Is it possible to play with random or can I only play with friends? I'm finally up to a semi-respectable level and want to play some duels. Perhaps even co-op helping people level up. I'm at level 49 berserker.
You have to join their game first or vice versa. Then you can duel, co-op, do the arenas, etc.

benjipwns

Banned
They can invite you while you're in-game, but it just takes you to a lobby. It's so you can pick which character you want to play with, etc.

Gaspode_T

My brief stint playing some mmorpgs makes me want to minmax one of the skill columns that is why I didn't put any into turret health etc although I did give it more firepower...

I saw a gun I wanted but it was 6200 or something...I think I have 19000 and I haven't bought many ammo deck upgrades either...I kind of assumed it wouldn't be necessary to buy weapons but I am having a hard time finding that perfect one :)

I wish the game had subtitles, sometimes I have to play with volume low

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Gaspode_T said:
My brief stint playing some mmorpgs makes me want to minmax one of the skill columns that is why I didn't put any into turret health etc although I did give it more firepower...

I saw a gun I wanted but it was 6200 or something...I think I have 19000 and I haven't bought many ammo deck upgrades either...I kind of assumed it wouldn't be necessary to buy weapons but I am having a hard time finding that perfect one :)

I wish the game had subtitles, sometimes I have to play with volume low
it has subtitles

Seanspeed

Banned
Gaspode_T said:
You can find some very good and rare guns in the vending machines. Same with shields/mods. Dont ignore them or you might miss out.

R1CHO

bengraven said:
Weird, I don't notice anything different with the AA tools.

Though I'm running DX10, I wonder if Blands is running in 9.

Yeah, its a dx9 game. Use the dx9 version of the FXAA filter.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Is there anyway to fix the lag in the Underdome?

I'm playing with my bro online on two PS3s... But we're connected through the same connection. With every supply drop, the game becomes unplayable for seconds. It's ridiculous.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So I've never played Blands alone..always with my co-op partners. We're used to the difficulty of the game like that. We beat the game and decided to go through the DLC. We were level 37. So we started playthrough 2, everything was around level 32, breezed through the intro and opened up fast travel, and went to Ned's Zombie Place. We get there..and are greeted by level 42 zombies. We could not touch them. We spent an hour squirming through the first few missions there till we said "ok, this is silly, this shouldnt be this hard considering the mobs in the beginning were 32. shouldnt this zombie place scale the same way?" Apparently not. Apparently on playthrough 2 all the mobs have fixed levels that we had no way of knowing about since we were always used to the game scaling the mobs to compensate for there being 2-3 of us. We put the game back on first playthrough and voila, level 34ish zombies that die instantly.

Krist that was a waste of time and really frustrating.

rc213

Been playing this on ps3 a bit this week. Man lots of people using modded weapons and shields, Sucks the fun right out of the game if you can just stand there and murder everything.

That said I did finally get my first pearlescent weapon, A Undertaker Rocket Launcher. So awesome!

Gaspode_T

Finally cleared Sledge's Safehouse (after going out and finishing basically all of the other side quests including the Lost Cave, which for some reason was super easy). I got some sort of SMG that kills folks like butter compared to my other guns, pretty ridiculous.

Now my latest head scratch is I opened a case near the beginning area (L12 baddies around it) and it had a bunch of guns in it way higher level than I am. I am L18 and I got something like 3 L22s, 1 L25 and 1 L35! One blue and one purple. I have two claptraps worth of backpack expansion but still kind of a pain to carry around a bunch of guns...hmmm hmmm...maybe I should sell more, I have been carrying around basically one of each weapon type after I figured out it helps in a pinch.

Well, having lots of fun with this game. Wish Gearbox would make a Shadowrun game with this engine :p

benjipwns

Banned
As noted above, the higher level weapons are not necessarily worth it unless they are significantly better. The cash will do you more good early on, and by the time you get to the level you likely can find better ones.

That's not to say you won't sometimes come across a gun that becomes a staple down the road.

Raide

Gaspode_T said:
Finally cleared Sledge's Safehouse (after going out and finishing basically all of the other side quests including the Lost Cave, which for some reason was super easy). I got some sort of SMG that kills folks like butter compared to my other guns, pretty ridiculous.

Now my latest head scratch is I opened a case near the beginning area (L12 baddies around it) and it had a bunch of guns in it way higher level than I am. I am L18 and I got something like 3 L22s, 1 L25 and 1 L35! One blue and one purple. I have two claptraps worth of backpack expansion but still kind of a pain to carry around a bunch of guns...hmmm hmmm...maybe I should sell more, I have been carrying around basically one of each weapon type after I figured out it helps in a pinch.

Well, having lots of fun with this game. Wish Gearbox would make a Shadowrun game with this engine :p

Yeah, the game does randomly give you higher weapons, just so you have something to work towards. Find a weapon that suits your playstyle, a nice shotgun and maybe a sniper rifle. Just sell all the old crap. The more you level and the more quests you do, you will soon replace stuff. You can end up keeping hold of something because you think its awesome but it gets outdated really fast.

Make sure you do all the claptrap quests, just for the extra space. Its less about holding guns you need and more about having enough space so you don't have to keep running to the shop every few kills. :D

Raide

Teknoman said:
Maybe I havent found the right rocket launcher yet...but they seem to be lacking that explosive punch that even the grenades have.

I love launchers with increased fire damage. Really handy for big groups but unless you're playing Brick, launchers always seem a bit poor.

Top Bottom