• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

jkanownik

Teknoman said:
Maybe I havent found the right rocket launcher yet...but they seem to be lacking that explosive punch that even the grenades have.

You need a fast firing helix. I can't use it much when playing with other people because you can't see a damn thing once it gets going. Everyone's screen just turns into one giant massive explosion and they ask me to switch guns.

Jzero

Raide said:
I love launchers with increased fire damage. Really handy for big groups but unless you're playing Brick, launchers always seem a bit poor.
My favorite is the fire rocket launcher that shoots a lot of rockets instead of just one.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So, how large should a full PSN install of Borderlands plus all the DLC be on the PS3? It's roughly 10GB for me, but I have a feeling that I should have deleted the install data from the disc version first. Anyone know? I'm running a bit low on HDD space, so if I can free up some gigs that'd be great.

InertiaXr

Seraphis Cain said:
So, how large should a full PSN install of Borderlands plus all the DLC be on the PS3? It's roughly 10GB for me, but I have a feeling that I should have deleted the install data from the disc version first. Anyone know? I'm running a bit low on HDD space, so if I can free up some gigs that'd be great.

GOTY edition on Steam is 10.x GB, and I'm assuming a full PSN version would be about the same size, no disc to hold any data.

Great stuff. Just finished my first playthrough, sniper, Lv 36 (or 35?), 42 hours, still haven't touched DLC. Any preferred order to tackle DLC? I have the GOTY edition.

SteelAttack said:
Great stuff. Just finished my first playthrough, sniper, Lv 36 (or 35?), 42 hours, still haven't touched DLC. Any preferred order to tackle DLC? I have the GOTY edition.
Tackle them in the order of release. Zombie Island, Moxie, Knoxx, Claptrap. Moxie isn't really that necessary but it does get you another skill point if you complete it.

Teknoman

Btw anyone still playing the PC version, I should be lvl 32 now, still need to take on other dlc areas, but finish playthrough 1 as well.

Gamespy ID: Teknoman_EX

SteelAttack said:
Thanks, man. I'm really looking forward to the Claptrap DLC. I absolutely loved them during my playthrough.
You will definitely have the most fun with them if you play co-op with someone who hasn't played them either yet. I had a blast with Zombie Island with my friends the first time through because we didn't know what to expect and because of that its my favorite one.

I generally don't complete the DLC on my Playthrough 1s. When I do, I max out my level even half way through Playthrough 2, where the real game is. Playthrough 2 is just so appropriately face smacking when taken at the correct level.

Oh well. I tried to activate the DLC that came with my Steam version, but no dice. Neither Zombie Island or Mad Moxxi's keys will work, no matter what I try.

Damn Securom.

SteelAttack said:
Oh well. I tried to activate the DLC that came with my Steam version, but no dice. Neither Zombie Island or Mad Moxxi's keys will work, no matter what I try.

Damn Securom.
Did you try putting in the dashes too? I think that was the problem I had when I tried to activate them.

I had so much trouble getting those two DLCs to work

Beelzeboss said:
Did you try putting in the dashes too? I think that was the problem I had when I tried to activate them.

I had so much trouble getting those two DLCs to work
Yeah, tried with and without dashes, then scoured the Steam forums for similar issues, found people who had exactly the same trouble (activation hangs at 30% and then fails) and followed the instructions they gave to solve it, but nope.

I've tried running the DLC exe by itself in the binaries folder to activate the DLC, both normally and in XP compatibility mode, I've changed the main exe for the game to XP compatibility mode as well, but no good. I've just made my mind I won't be able to play it, but that's certainly a sour note to wrap up what otherwise was an enjoyable playthrough. Sour enough to make me ditch my plans of doing a second run on the game.

Edit: For some mysterious reason, the thing worked. I didn't do anything different, just ran the DLC exes like I did before, and entered the key for both DLCs. Only this time it worked.
Oh well, I'm not one to complain when things go better than expected. Zombie Island, here I come.

Gaspode_T

Sledge went down like a punk...on my third try :p I am surprised I still haven't gotten the achievement for "Complete all missions in Arid Badlands", I keep getting more side quests popping up on the Fyrestone board. This is probably in the top 5 of my favorite FPS games of all time (along with Halo 1, Half Life 2, Tribes and Dark Forces)

Upon activating, I plunged right into Zombie Island. Zombies everywhere! Their numbers are far bigger than anything I've seen before in the game, and the fact that sometimes they come from behind you adds up a bit of tension, something that wasn't really there in any fight on my regular playthrough, save for a couple uncomfortable bosses.

Pretty cool setting, by the way.

Labadal

Very stupid question incoming: My brother and I started this and played local co-op for 45 minutes. The next day only my character shows up as saved. What did we do wrong?

Yes, this is very embarrassing.

Sysgen

This game is crack. Just blew 30 hours in 3 days with this.

For the dlc, once entered can I return or do I have to finish it. Thinking of just using dlc2 now for the bank and storage.

bubnbob

Banned
Sysgen said:
This game is crack. Just blew 30 hours in 3 days with this.

For the dlc, once entered can I return or do I have to finish it. Thinking of just using dlc2 now for the bank and storage.

You can enter and exit at your leisure.

Eric WK

So, uh, is anybody on Playthrough 2 and near the Vault? Friend and I screwed up and played a bunch of the DLC before Playthrough 2 and now we're essentially stuck at 47. Would prefer to just boost finish PT 2 and continue enjoying the game. =/

PC, btw.

Raide

Labadal said:
Very stupid question incoming: My brother and I started this and played local co-op for 45 minutes. The next day only my character shows up as saved. What did we do wrong?

Yes, this is very embarrassing.

If its 360, don't forget to load his profile and your character will show up. Always rename you characters so you can tell them apart. :D

Sysgen

Their dying mechanic is deeply flawed. I'm sure everyone that breathes oxygen realizes this. 1) When there are no enemies to kill you can't recover. I'm not talking about line of sight either. If a grenade or a rocket got you when you simultaneously dispatched the last enemy that should count for something. 2) Having a 100,000 taken away from you because you ran over an acid barrel and the game telling me to kill something in the middle of nowhere is mindless design. For both scenarios at least give me a mechanic that gives me some chance. The rest of the game is unbelievably great, like in the context of all time great.

Amon37

I would do claptrap dlc before knoxx since the level requirement is less but the reward for beating the dlc will help prepare you for the knoxx dlc

Sysgen

Amon37 said:
I would do claptrap dlc before knoxx since the level requirement is less but the reward for beating the dlc will help prepare you for the knoxx dlc

I thought the Knoxx dlc scales so how would it help?

Ya know I'm also sick of driving off the edge of the map and getting penalized for it.

Gaspode_T

I haven't really had death frustrations (yet), I died 4 or 5 times in a row to Mad Mel but managed to kill him beside my burning shell of a vehicle while starting to black out and getting a second wind while frantically pumping the still moving vehicle full of lead. It was an awesome feeling.

Today I got owned by Mothrakk pretty badly a couple times in a row, so I decided to take it nice and slow and pop out from under the car shelter that is near by, worked pretty well and felt like some sort of epic MMORPG kill when it fell down.

Is it me or are some of the repeaters/revolvers super hard to aim with? My easiest so far is SMG with a square video screen, even though it's low level now I still tend to use that thing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Gaspode_T said:
Today I got owned by Mothrakk pretty badly a couple times in a row, so I decided to take it nice and slow and pop out from under the car shelter that is near by, worked pretty well and felt like some sort of epic MMORPG kill when it fell down.

Is it me or are some of the repeaters/revolvers super hard to aim with? My easiest so far is SMG with a square video screen, even though it's low level now I still tend to use that thing.
I was actually over-leveled going into that fight. Thought it would be a breeze. Thing appears and completely wastes me in no time. I beat it the second time, but I had to cheese it a little bit. That was probably a really hard solo fight for someone at the recommended lvl. That thing was tough.

Sysgen

I've been over leveled for a good portion of the game which is a problem though a couple of the quests that read trivial haven't been so trivial. Old Haven comes to mind. I got myself surrounded at one point with the sh*t hitting the fan, died but recovered. It was epic and awesome.

Gaspode_T

Evolved1 said:
I was actually over-leveled going into that fight. Thought it would be a breeze. Thing appears and completely wastes me in no time. I beat it the second time, but I had to cheese it a little bit. That was probably a really hard solo fight for someone at the recommended lvl. That thing was tough.

Yeah I think it took me like 10 mins and ran out of ammo for half of my guns LOL

Turret also didn't seem to be doing anything, I don't think my missiles were even hitting it

I was L25

benjipwns

Banned
Sysgen said:
I've been over leveled for a good portion of the game which is a problem though a couple of the quests that read trivial haven't been so trivial. Old Haven comes to mind. I got myself surrounded at one point with the sh*t hitting the fan, died but recovered. It was epic and awesome.
That's the only real concern in the game is too many enemies that you can't deal with it or someone with a shock weapon who takes your shields down instantly.

The Crimson Lance enjoy doing both!

Vyer

I learned that making use of vehicle lock-on helps a lot in some of those boss fights. Mothrakk for example, once I locked on to him with the gunner vehicle it was just a matter of driving close range and dodging his blasts. Held down the trigger and let the gun go to work. Also very helpful in combat with other vehicles.

Evolved1

I'm actually afraid of my-level quests. I avoid them if possible, until all other quests are cleared from the board, but eventually there's nothing else left to do.

I enter those areas with intense trepidation. Rarely do I die, but I never get through without scraping by, clinging to scraps of health... it's awesome and terrible at the same time.

Vyer said:
I learned that making use of vehicle lock-on helps a lot in some of those boss fights. Mothrakk for example, once I locked on to him with the gunner vehicle it was just a matter of driving close range and dodging his blasts. Held down the trigger and let the gun go to work. Also very helpful in combat with other vehicles.

Idk... I feel like the vehicle weapons are weak as shit. If you can't run them over, I find it best to use my own weapons. I think my SMG is stronger than the car's rocket launcher. lol

Sysgen

Evolved1 said:
I'm actually afraid of my-level quests. I avoid them if possible, until all other quests are cleared from the board, but eventually there's nothing else left to do.

I enter those areas with intense trepidation. Rarely do I die, but I never get through without scraping by, clinging to scraps of health... it's awesome and terrible at the same time.

I was under the impression that better guns would spawn during quests at your level or higher but I've found that not really to be the case.

Idk... I feel like the vehicle weapons are weak as shit. If you can't run them over, I find it best to use my own weapons. I think my SMG is stronger than the car's rocket launcher. lol

I've found this to be a good design decision. If the vehicle was stronger offensively or defensively you would spend more time in it. Also making the vehicle weak makes traveling a compelling experience.

Evolved1

Sysgen said:
I was under the impression that better guns would spawn during quests at your level or higher but I've found that not really to be the case.

To me, seems like spawns are tied to the lvl of the area you're in... not your character.

But I'm no expert in this game. Still haven't finished it.

Sysgen

Anyone still playing, playing as Mordecai with the "Jesus Bird" :) Sniping in this game is really satisfying especially with a rifle with X3 or X4 shock.

Sysgen

Finished my first play through of this outstanding shooter and I thought I would start the dlc however I'm reading around that I should play through the game again before starting the dlc ??? Perhaps someone in the know can help out.

benjipwns

Banned
I'd read the last few pages of this thread, that gets asked and answered rather regularly. I don't think there's a clear consensus and more about personal preference, but there is a leveling quirk or something I seem to remember.

Sysgen said:
Finished my first play through of this outstanding shooter and I thought I would start the dlc however I'm reading around that I should play through the game again before starting the dlc ??? Perhaps someone in the know can help out.
I think that depends if you did all the SideQuest of the main game, and are at level 30-ish. Im on Dr.Neds Zombie and its awesome and havent die so much. Also if youre playing the PS3 version add me. SixStringPsycho

Sysgen

SixStringPsycho said:
I think that depends if you did all the SideQuest of the main game, and are at level 30-ish. Im on Dr.Neds Zombie and its awesome and havent die so much. Also if youre playing the PS3 version add me. SixStringPsycho

I'm on the PC but thanks. Level 36. Looked through the last few pages but too much chatter mixed in. For now I'll just follow this unless someone can advise better.

HeySeuss

I finished at level 69 with Brick, beating both playthroughs and killing Crawerx several times. I have some good guns now, but no pearlescents as of yet. I have some modded guns(level 70) that I'd love to play around with, but I'm not sure I want to mod my character.

Revolvers are my favorite weapon, and until 5 minutes ago I never knew you could auto-lock with vehicle weapons...lol. Are the pearlescent guns worth trying to find to play around with? Are they rediculously powerful or just valuable due to the rarity?

Sysgen

Shick Brithouse said:
I finished at level 69 with Brick, beating both playthroughs and killing Crawerx several times. I have some good guns now, but no pearlescents as of yet. I have some modded guns(level 70) that I'd love to play around with, but I'm not sure I want to mod my character.

Revolvers are my favorite weapon, and until 5 minutes ago I never knew you could auto-lock with vehicle weapons...lol. Are the pearlescent guns worth trying to find to play around with? Are they rediculously powerful or just valuable due to the rarity?

Why are revolvers your favorite weapon? I've been steering clear of them.

HeySeuss

Sysgen said:
Why are revolvers your favorite weapon? I've been steering clear of them.

More powerful, more accurate. I've used them and shotguns primarily the whole game, although I used mostly SMG's until I got to about level 25. I've leveled up my revolver proficiency to the point where my reload times are inhuman. Personally a high damage masher is my favorite, mine is damage 946x4 with 6 shots, with the bonus damage something like 50%.

Wallach

Shick Brithouse said:
More powerful, more accurate. I've used them and shotguns primarily the whole game, although I used mostly SMG's until I got to about level 25. I've leveled up my revolver proficiency to the point where my reload times are inhuman. Personally a high damage masher is my favorite, mine is damage 946x4 with 6 shots, with the bonus damage something like 50%.

Mashers are one of my favorite weapons as well. With Mordecai, you simply do unreal damage with mashers and machine pistols. I'm level 45 or 46 and my masher (204x7) crits for something like 26k on the high end. It's also a very easy weapon to hip fire.

By the way, that masher you mentioned is modded. :p

Chris R

Rocket Launchers are worthless due to the lack of splash damage :(

I like ultra powerful revolvers (aka one shot wonders) and good assault rifles or smgs. Not big on shotguns either due to the low accuracy.

Vyer

Evolved1 said:

They do lack a certain kick, but (especially with the gun turret) they can chew the hell out some of the health when you are locked on and holding down the trigger.

This is especially true against enemy vehicles.

benjipwns said:
Spacebar on PC, A/X on 360/PS3. Only for the rockets I think, not the machine guns. Could be wrong on that though.

You can lock on with whatever the secondary weapon/turret is, either the rocket launcher or the gun, depending on which vehicle you spawn.

HeySeuss

Wallach said:
Mashers are one of my favorite weapons as well. With Mordecai, you simply do unreal damage with mashers and machine pistols. I'm level 45 or 46 and my masher (204x7) crits for something like 26k on the high end. It's also a very easy weapon to hip fire.

By the way, that masher you mentioned is modded. :p

Actually it's not, I pulled it out of a red chest, not an online drop. I might be off on the bonus % damage, but it's a level 63 weapon.

Top Bottom