• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boris Johnson: UK will help Turkey join the EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Johnson, who campaigned for leaving the EU as he deemed it a better choice to not be a part of it, support another country in it's efforts to join that same organization? Would it not make more sense for him to go around warning others of the EU and it's evil, sovereignty-stealing schemes to prevent them from falling into the same trap the UK fell into all those years ago?

Yes, I'm being sarcastic

Sarcasm aside, this is all about trade deals. This is nothing more than a cynical move by the Tories to foster good relations so they can boast about trade deals during 2017 when they trigger A50.

Colin.

The fact that this buffoon was not only previously voted in as Mayor of London, but also voted into parliament last year is as astounding as it is depressing.

oti

Banned
Why would he (or the UK) help Turkey to join something he wanted out of?

Guess who's been lobbying to get Turkey into EU all this time. Yep, the UK.

Guess who got furious when he heard UK was set on leaving the EU and hence losing his biggest cheerleader. Yep, Erdogan.

The UK is an utter mess.

Avtomat

Just to quote boris the last time he spoke about Erdogan:
"There was a young fellow from Ankara, Who was a terrific wankerer."

wow holy crap I never realised this was an actual thing.

I just Googled cos the line made me laugh and Boris actually made this up, yet was still made Foreign Secretary?!? HAHAHA!!!!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The act that keeps on giving: the people: the boris.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are people against Turkey joining the EU?

Eh, yes. They aren't even close to ready. In fact, they're moving in the opposite direction, regressing. Their human rights record is getting worse by the day, they're getting more theocratic and less secular, etc. So nope, not a chance of that happening any time soon.

Bleepey

I'm sure that during a BBC show (Who Do You Think You Are), it was shown that Johnson had some Turkish lineage. Not that it means anything of course.

It's why he criticised Obama. He thought cos of Obama's lineage he'd be critical of the U.K. Meanwhile Boris argues fake coup plotter and human rights abuser Turkey should be let in in the EU.

m_dorian

I will repeat my belief that a truly democratic Turkey that respects the human rights and learns how to learn from their mistakes will be an asset to any organization, not only EU.
Sadly, with how things are going currently in Turkey this will not happen in Boris's lifetime or even mine.

BosSin

I will repeat my belief that a truly democratic Turkey that respects the human rights and learns how to learn from their mistakes will be an asset to any organization, not only EU.
Sadly, with how things are going currently in Turkey this will not happen in Boris's lifetime or even mine.
Yeah, it's nice that someone else sees the lost potential. Such a shame

Copenap

Maybe it's somewhere else in the article but the quote does not state what the title says. Anyways, Turkey joining the EU (or even serious negotiations) is pretty much impossible for at least the next 10 years.

Does this guy ever says anything reasonable, logical or anything that makes sense? At least he is hilarious, and i will never understand how he is the foreign secretary. British comedy is pure gold.

Biske

You know... when I get super depressed about US politics, I look to our cousins in the UK and feel less alone.

A family of dumbasses.

2MF

Eh, yes. They aren't even close to ready. In fact, they're moving in the opposite direction, regressing. Their human rights record is getting worse by the day, they're getting more theocratic and less secular, etc. So nope, not a chance of that happening any time soon.

This.

Dougald

Whether Boris can make his mind up about Turkey joining the EU being good or bad (apparently depending on whether he's foreign secretary or head of the leave campaign), they're still nowhere near fulfilling the requirements and won't be for decades, if ever

USC-fan

Banned

Ok thanks.

Wasnt sure this just had something about them housing immigrants or what not.

UK supporting it threw me off.

Theecliff

Banned
you're kidding me right? one of the fucking bulletpoints for leaving the eu was that 'countries like turkey want to be a part of it'

i can probably find a bunch of leave leaflets lying round with sections dedicated to this shit

KonradLaw

Relevant :D
Turkish town promises to ‘sacrifice many sheep in Boris’ honor’
Kalfat in Cankiri province is the ancestral homeland of Johnson’s great-grandfather on his father’s side, Ali Kemal. And despite the former mayor of London’s support for Brexit and limiting the number of foreigners entering the U.K., the villagers are still happy to call him one of their own.
“We will sacrifice many sheep in Boris’ honor. We will repave our roads, repaint our buildings. We will give him the complete red carpet treatment if he visits his ancestral village,” Adem Karaagac, the village headman, told Middle East Eye.
Karaagac said villagers have been keeping abreast of British politics and were disappointed when Johnson didn’t succeed David Cameron as prime minister.
“Our Boris was ready to be prime minister. But now he can gain more experience as foreign minister before becoming prime minister. That will be better for him as well,” he said.

If the UK loves Turkey so much they should join in a union.

Just leave the EU out of it.

Pretty much this!!!

If there's a country that should NOT join the E.U. , that's Turkey.... I never knew dictatorships can be part of the Union....

Also, Boris can fuck right off.

Bold One

TQch1oZ.gif

Jackpot

Banned
Are people against Turkey joining the EU?

Yes, but in particular Boris Johnson lead a campaign group that falsely said we should leave the EU because Turkey was going to join any day now.

Screen-Shot-2016-06-06-at-13.38.56.png

sss.png

Vote Leave said: “Since the birthrate in Turkey is so high, we can expect to see an additional million people added to the UK population from Turkey alone within eight years.

“This will not only increase the strain on Britain’s public services, but it will also create a number of threats to UK security. Crime is far higher in Turkey than the UK. Gun ownership is also more widespread. Because of the EU’s free movement laws, the government will not be able to exclude Turkish criminals from entering the UK

They posted leaflets highlighting how the entire population of Turkey would migrate to the UK (with its proximity to Syria and Iraq helpfully highlighted), made TV adverts, they even doctored a fucking video of a brawl in Turkey's parliament.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...n-turkey-video-doctored-screams-a7092191.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom