• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bosses you felt bad for killing

Experien

The only answer, from Demon's Souls.

latest

Plum

Some people in here really gotta learn how to use the spoiler tag.

On Topic:

NieR Automata:
The final battle where you play as either 9S or A2 is tough. I always hate having to kill another player character in games so having to do it twice to get both endings only makes things worse. Good thing the true Ending makes it all worth it!

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation ENDING post:

The one I feel most bad for killing at the end was Anankos. When it was further explained as to why he became the way he is, it was really depressing. That he was a loner and was always neglected/abandoned. He essentially had no friends really, he was the last of his kind and was starting to die internally from this depression. He started writing beautiful songs that would help him deal with his pain as a form of coping and many future generations in how to deal with him should he turn to corruption... in case he got way out of hand. In which he did, but I don't blame the poor dragon at all. Later to find out he's Corrin's/Kamui's/"my" real father that I had to help put him out of his misery with the help of the only person that Corrin/Kamui/"I'm" truly related to, Azura, my cousin. It reminds me of Skull Kid(except without the paternity) too from Majora's Mask and I feel not sympathy but empathy for both characters, because I know how that feels all too well... I can relate to them.

ApharmdX

Banned
Can't believe no one's mentioned Ludwig from BB's Old Hunters DLC:

Bloodborne%E2%84%A2_20151124012136.jpg

What he says to you after you beat him... :(

Ludwig was a pitiable figure but I think killing him is a mercy. Also, during that fight he reclaims some of the majesty and pride that he had during his heyday as a hunter. So he went out with some honor.

Ogodei

Captain Vladimir in No More Heroes 2. Poor guy's a cosmonaut who got lost in space on a mission. The game doesn't say what became of him but he seemed to encounter some alien entity and came back as a superhuman, but despite having one of the strongest attacks for a boss in that game (satellite laser), he came off as a confused, tired old man.

Of course, that was after the point in the game where the narrative turns both Travis and the player towards feeling bad about the Assassin Rank Matches and stuff, but a lot of the assassins still seemed like bad people, or at the very least people who were willing to accept the consequences of their actions (Alice Twilight was melancholy, but she was a professional killer through and through, and Travis killing her was a bit of a release). Captain Vladimir was just a confused man who wanted to make it home, and didn't even know that he already had...

Artdayne

Jacques De Aldersberg from Witcher 1

latest

Most people here won't have a clue who that is. As Geralt, you act as a father figure to him as a child, he ends up growing up and doing really terrible crap to many people and causing unrest and devastation. Near the end he shows you the motivation behind his actions and even though they seem twisted and misguided its difficult not to have a little sympathy for him and to have a real understanding of why he did it even then you know that he has to die.

CloudWolf

The one really strong country in Europa Universalis IV that has been pestering your little nation since the very start. After 100 years of war that once big country has only more province left, a landlocked province with almost no income. At that point it's a mercy killing.

Jacques De Aldersberg from Witcher 1

latest

Most people here won't have a clue who that is. As Geralt, you act as a father figure to him as a child, he ends up growing up and doing really terrible crap to many people and causing unrest and devastation. Near the end he shows you the motivation behind his actions and even though they seem twisted and misguided its difficult not to have a little sympathy for him and to have a real understanding of why he did it even then you know that he has to die.
I didn't feel that bad. Yeah, some part of me felt sorry for
Alvin
and he had valid reasons for doing what he did in the grand scheme of things, but he's still a bigot and a gigantic racist who killed hundreds of innocents.

Sigfodr

Aside from the ones mentioned already (The Boss, everything in Shadow of the Colossus), killing Sybil in Transistor fucked me up hard, especially after her codex entry got updated (as you use the abilities you gain from defeating bosses, you unlock codex entries about the character). Through Sybil's entries, you learn
she was in love with Red,
which is especially rough when you remember
Sybil was sobbing as you dealt the killing blow.

Most of Soul bosses ? there are little bad guys , I mean you are even a Boss for the Final Boss in Dark Souls 2.

When you stop and think. Most of the creatures in BB which are not human are often the ones being attacked.

Wetnurse Mergo is literally guarding a newborn, The witches are wandering around, the guardian is sleeping until you come, Ebrieteas is am encaged being, the brain is unable to move and attack you he is being controlled and cant fight back.

You are a hunter, it's your job to be the one attacking first and I love this and also hate it.

Wetnurse yep
Witches are straight up kidnappers and experimented on Yharman people at the point of
experimenting on Hunters ripping out the runes on their heads to see how it works
Paarl, yep
Ebrietas kind of, she later influenced the choir
and drove them to madness to open the ream for its kind
The brain guy is actually a
servant of the Great ones so he was given to humans to further their plan so huh, yes I guess

cakely

Zoltun Kulle from Diablo III.

latest

Not a good guy, but he was basically right the whole time. He even tries to warn the nephalem that neither angels or demons can be trusted and that the black soulstone is not what it appears. You murder him for no good reason and then, well, the rest of Diablo III happens.

Dingens

Pandoras Tower - all of them except for the last boss.
they were just hanging around minding their own business until som jerk broke into their room and started hitting them with a sword

DESTROYA

I was playing Wolfenstein new order the other day and it's not a boss battle but
when Deathshead makes you pick a hostage to kill

This scene
maxresdefault.jpg

I literally froze
but picked Wyatt, couldn't takeout Ferus

Squishy3

FFXIV Stormblood spoilers:
Grynewaht. He's a low ranking unit who has a grudge against you for ruining his chance to shine before the expansion came out, and wants to do nothing but defeat you for the entirety of the expansion. You thwart him at every chance, and he's willing to do anything to possibly defeat you, so he ends up becoming a guinea pig for the crazy expirements the Garleans are performing to create supersoldiers and becomes a shell of his former self and is robbed of everything except for his desire to kill you. He still stands no chance at all, and is easily dispatched of. The voice work during the final fight against him is impeccable, as he's just screaming maniacally about how all he wants to do is kill you.

He's not necessarily in the right, but he's tossed into posts that don't care about him, his one thing he wants to do is an impossible task (Killing/capturing the Warrior of Light) and he ends up losing his sense of personality and self before succumbing to his fate.

LakeEarth

Infamous 2 evil ending
Zeke Dunbar (creator of the Dunbar Beam)

The worst part for me was that
there was no way he could kill you at that point, you were too powerful. But he tried.

To comment on that spoiler:

False. If you let him shoot you for a couple of minutes, you will die. It's just a standard game over screen, though.

Capitan

Undertale stuff.
I figured there was no way to spare her, so I assumed if I fought, the fight would end before she died. She was going easy on me after all, this wasn't a fight to the death. I was wrong. :(

Also decided to kill Papyrus on my first play through too just to see what would happen, I regretted it immediately.
Undertale-
i killed toriel too, and felt like shit for the rest of the game. i figured i would try talking to her again when she was at low health, but i critted her all the way down from half health. i really need to do a no-kills playthrough to clear my conscience.

also, I came here for Sif from dark souls, glad to see it in OP. killing a cute doggy who's done nothing wrong :(

The only ones who didn't really deserve to get killed in NieR were Devola and Popola who were brainwashed and brutally manipulated, the others got their due punishment and some, like Roc, got off VERY easy.

Did Beepy and Kalil deserve their death? If you think so, you must be deeply misunderstanding something. I had to put the game down for a while before getting to that fight in route B.

PSqueak

Banned
edit: No mention of Mother 3 yet?
Masked Man / Claus in the final fight. The whole setup and how it plays out is gut wrenching.

Ah.. here it is.. just a single image and no text though, so I didn't see it on search :p

You'd be incorrect to bring him up [again] because you don't kill him.

Kovacs

More a sub boss I suppose, and I during my first play through I didn't realise that
not killing him
was an option, but I felt really bad killing
Paarthurnax
in Skyrim

meerak

Definitely MGS: The Thread for me.

It's the most cliche answer, but as a kid it was really affecting and pretty much changed my assumptions about bosses going forward. There are too many bosses to mention, but Psycho Mantis and Sniper Wolf stand out as especially sympathetic.

Vulcan Raven has this other affect like you've been cursed, forever, and it's very eerie. A simple, straightforward metaphor for the average gamer, but good stuff.

"The road you walk on has no end."

o_O !

Y'all saying Maiden Astraea got taken for a ride if you actually believed her. Just like Priscila in Dark Souls. "This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind" my ass. How you think she got that demon soul?

Osukaa

gnlbXoMl.jpg

Xenogears - Hammer

Fuck Hammer for
Killing Ellys mom
He deserved everything his ass got. MAD SKILLZ my ass .

Top Bottom