• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bosses you felt bad for killing

the Collosi in Shadow of the Collosus. They are just innocently minding their own business until you show up and stab them in the glowing tattoo.

Alebrije

Nier : Hansel and Gretel. Once you know the story.

images

RRockman

Banned
Actually this is another good game for another boss near the end.

You are very right. Killing
Wyatt was hard. I almost wish Blasko could hot wire it and Wyatt would become a immortal (by man's standards anyway) nazi killing machine but even then he does not deserve being devolved into a simple war machine.

You gotta let
him
go...

I couldn't imagine killing Fergus, he's too funny

Ghost Recon Wildlands - Taking out El Boquita. (Spoilers, I guess? Not really a story based game.)

They're all Cartel bastards, and throughout the game you end up 'extracting' a number of them because they're worth more from flipping intel or giving up compadres than killing. However, there are a few bosses in the game that they force you to kill. You can't beat the mission until they're dead.

https://youtu.be/ygoBK-T6Bes?t=123
(Relevant part starts at 2:03)

You're tracking El Boquita (A Cartel under boss), and trying to get him to lead to you to a convoy of drugs headed to Mexico. You've tapped his line so you can listen in on any hints as to where the convoy is. During the tailing mission, he calls his love (The Beauty Queen) and tells her he doesn't think this is a good idea and there has to be a better way, she said it's the only way. He then talks to his small daughter. She asks if he's coming home, he said he has to take a trip, and tells her to be a good girl. She wants a puppy, he tells her he loves her and says "adios mija" in a way where you know he knows he's probably not coming home.

It was this weirdly moving part of a game that's overall not very touching or anything. You're killing big bad Cartel members. Your handler makes sure to remind you that you need to KILL El Boquita, in order to mess with his girlfriend/wife (who is a higher tier Cartel boss).

When I got to it, I managed to kill off all his henchmen, and then grabbed him instead of killing him. When you get close to people in the game, they tend to cower and submit, so he wasn't resisting, so I felt really bad killing him. I stuffed him in a chopper and flew him to the nearest base and tried to extract him, but it wouldn't let me. I debated what to do for a while.. finally I tossed him back in the helicopter and flew up in the helicopter, flew over a Cartel base and waited for the SAM to lock on. As soon as the missile was in the air, I bailed out and parachuted to the ground. Missile destroyed the helicopter, and El Boquita.. mission completed, no blood on my hands.

Still kind of makes me sad.

For good measure, his narcocorrido.. Ghost Recon Wildlands - Por Amor: La Historia Del Boquita Narcocorrido

Mathieran

Banned
There were a couple bosses in Furi that I felt bad about. Especially the one who had a kid and seemed honorable, just doing what he thought was right.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Bowser in Mario Galaxy. He is so bummed that he lost.
Also, every enemy in Pikmin! None of them are doing any harm!

DilWSTS

Read the title and thought id come in here to a plethora of Sif's. It's even worse when playing the DLC first and understanding the story :(

zeitgeist

Sniper Wolf and Astrea are big ones for me.

Everyone is saying Sif and The Boss but since it took me a million times to kill them, they can go die in a fire.

Dyne is another good one that was mentioned. And I don't think they die but I always liked Fujin and Raijin from FFViii

Jedi2016

the Collosi in Shadow of the Collosus. They are just innocently minding their own business until you show up and stab them in the glowing tattoo.
Not all of them... those little ones can fuck right off. But yeah, the ones that don't attack first, kind of the same feeling as attacking Rom without provocation. And the intentionally sad music when they die, of course.

Floody

G
ehrman
at first as he was only trying to stop you from making his mistake. But then in NG+ I found him sleep talking about how he wants someone to free him, thinking everyone abandoned him, now I'm just always feeling bad for him.

Not quite a boss but I felt awful for killing
Hope
in Assassin's Creed Rogue. Stood over her body and said 'I'm sorry' our loud.

The God Generals from Tales of the Abyss

Probably the most exciting fights in the game. Really wish there was a unlockable God General mode where you play the game from their perspective.

Azzanadra

Salma in The Witcher 3, I mean she doesn't really deserve to die- but in this morally grey situation I lean towards the "kill" option just because you also get dat Succubi mutagen which makes for a great concoction.

Just about everything in Monster Hunter honestly. That and Shadow of the Colossus. Just a bunch of Monsters/Giants doing their own thing when random assholes come and brutally stab/slash them to death.
I hate hunting Qurupeco because it's animations, audio clips, and visible damage, make it look afraid at times. This is made worse by the fact that half its moveset is based around calling for help and running away. Makes me feel like a real scumbag. :<

Squaring off against 'The True Hero' in Undertale felt shitty too.
Part of me would be relieved and proud if I lost. She got done dirty by the player, but refused to die. She came back stronger than ever, and was wrecking shit in sync to her new elegant yet high energy themesong. You did it, girl. You're anime now. It's real. Alas, my persistence got the better of her, and beating the fight gives you the knowledge that she expected to lose, but merely wanted to stall me so others could escape.
:<

Cliff Hudson in Dead Rising.

latest

When you encounter him, he's having a psychotic break where he thinks he's in Vietnam and that you're an enemy soldier. After you defeat him, as he's dying he comes around and tells you that his granddaughter was killed by zombies in front of him, and hearing her scream made him go insane.

Samikaze

Roc from NieR.

It was more personal for me than just surface level.
I had just lost my dog and was playing to keep my mind off it.
Why I chose to keep playing NieR is beyond me.

I was on the 2nd playthrough and found out that Roc
was just a dog who missed his master and wanted to live his old life again. His owner had given his Gestalt up for his dog to live a long life.

As soon as I stopped I legitimately started crying. Even typing this pts lumps in my throat.

Roc from NieR.

It was more personal for me than just surface level.
I had just lost my dog and was playing to keep my mind off it.
Why I chose to keep playing NieR is beyond me.

I was on the 2nd playthrough and found out that Roc
was just a dog who missed his master and wanted to live his old life again. His owner had given his Gestalt up for his dog to live a long life.

As soon as I stopped I legitimately started crying. Even typing this pts lumps in my throat.
Yeah, Roc and Beepy were really rough on me too. It was really transparent emotional manipulation, but it still worked all the same.

Sal Marcano from Mafia 3.
I know he killed pretty much everyone you care about in the beginning, but also he's kind of not the laughing villain you would expect.

His last dialog is touching actually, you can feel he didn't want things to end up like this.
https://youtu.be/rpA64qP1cA8

Maiden Astraea from Demon's Souls, as much as I love Sif I would say this is a much more disturbing and traumatizing kill.

The OST is also very haunting in my opinion.

Here is what she said before you murder her and her protector.

''This is our home.
We have done no harm to you.''

tumblr_o58ahpBqPP1tt3wuco1_400.gif

''Dear God, have mercy....Is not your abandonment of us punishment enough? How long must we weather this cruel fate? Cruel Lord... What more can you possibly take from us?''

It's horrible, she won't even attack you in the end.

Mustafa from Fire Emblem Awakening, especially after stuff happened in the game and the OST just rubs it into your face.

Mustafa's just doing his job and he did nothing wrong!

Hope you spared his men like he requested you to do so...

Came here to post him.

I did end up killing everyone of his men though by accident. As per FE tradition, I expected the map to end when he was killed, so in order to get the EXP, I killed everyone before fighting him, and then he asks me not to kill everyone like I just did. Whoops.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
hqdefault.jpg

I know he joins the party, but man the first time I had to fight him I was like "NOOOO!"

Magus has an interesting heelturn and the reasons he is summoning lavos were misunderstood, but he wasn't innocent.

Factor in the amount of people he had killed by that point, the skeletons that are unwittingly necromanced that were implied to be kids, and what he did to Glenn and Cyrus. Let's also not neglect that successfully summoning Lavos would have been utterly catastrophic if he succeeded.

Infamous 2 evil ending
Zeke Dunbar (creator of the Dunbar Beam)

The worst part for me was that
there was no way he could kill you at that point, you were too powerful. But he tried.

I absolutely love that sequence. He is absolutely no match for you, and you both know it. But you do what you think you have to.

Top Bottom