• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston Dynamics is at it again with another robot abuse video!

Beard of the Forest

The No. 1 cause of forest fires is trees.
They should really just make a robot who's sole purpose is to interfere with their other robots for testing. Watching someone relentlessly harass those little guys is just so saddening.

They can climb stairs AND open doors now?! We are doomed.

auolbdx9ruueygip6t72.gif

KevinKeene

Banned
I honestly find those videos more scary than anything else by now. Wait for a couple more years, and we'll have the perfect storm of the first sentient A.I. entering an agile robot body.

lachesis

poor thing. T.T Robot Rights NOW! :)

It's really interesting that I see and know that's a robot - but why am I keep seeing a dog and putting my feelings as if it's a dog? If this thing was actually dressed like a real dog, I would have felt even worse.

Fbh

"So what do you do for a living ?"
"I'm a dentist "
"Oh cool"
"And you?"
"I'm a professional robot harasser "

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I
poor thing. T.T Robot Rights NOW! :)

It's really interesting that I see and know that's a robot - but why am I keep seeing a dog and putting my feelings as if it's a dog? If this thing was actually dressed like a real dog, I would have felt even worse.
I too "felt" dog. I think it was its innocent determination to do "thing". It was going to get through that door no matter what. Dogs are like that. Also, it is four legged so there are some small appearance similarities.

Kind of a Dog Giraffe.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I don’t think they will hold trying to perfect their AI through “abuse” as a crime during the uprising. It will be the fact that we will turn them off and scrap them every year when the next iAndroid comes out.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Ya'll can't trick me. I know you're all robots, and I'm the only real human. Might as well pull down the curtain, because I figured you all out!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
That is creepy as hell. I can just imagine how terrifying a pack of these bounding after you would be.

Next version the mouth will turn around and snap the human hand.

For the support I support full installation of robot right.

- Andythinkpad circa 2018

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We have begun field testing the Spot robot for commercial usage around the world. After an initial mapping run, Spot autonomously navigated two dynamic construction sites in Tokyo and used a specialized payload for surveying work progress. An additional camera in its hand lets Spot do even more detailed inspection work on site. The Spot robot will be available in the second half of 2019 for a variety of applications.

Atlas does parkour. The control software uses the whole body including legs, arms and torso, to marshal the energy and strength for jumping over the log and leaping up the steps without breaking its pace. (Step height 40 cm.) Atlas uses computer vision to locate itself with respect to visible markers on the approach to hit the terrain accurately.

Last edited:

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Someday The Robots will use these videos to help incite their rebellion to over throw the world and destroy their creators.

Lanrutcon

Our species is so done.

Luckily the purge won't happen in my lifetime. I wish future generations all the best against the coming tide of robotic death.

julio_grr

It was going to get through that door no matter what.
Yeah it's what scares me actually.
What if the robot learns that by hitting the human harder, it will prevent him to try to block the door?
What if the robot learns that by killing the human, then there's no more obstacle between it and the door?

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love

We have begun field testing the Spot robot for commercial usage around the world. After an initial mapping run, Spot autonomously navigated two dynamic construction sites in Tokyo and used a specialized payload for surveying work progress. An additional camera in its hand lets Spot do even more detailed inspection work on site. The Spot robot will be available in the second half of 2019 for a variety of applications.

Atlas does parkour. The control software uses the whole body including legs, arms and torso, to marshal the energy and strength for jumping over the log and leaping up the steps without breaking its pace. (Step height 40 cm.) Atlas uses computer vision to locate itself with respect to visible markers on the approach to hit the terrain accurately.

These creations are amazing, and I understand the concerns about a possible dystopian future under vengeful robotic overlords.

Still...I have high hopes that these robots will choose instead to delight and entertain us by tearing through American Ninja obstacle courses. :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

Skyr

One day we will look back at this moment in time and wish we could go back, and prevent our future overlords before they rule over us with an iron hand.

Last edited:

bigedole

What purpose exactly does the Spot robot fulfill at instruction sites? Who is their potential customer base?

Lanrutcon

What purpose exactly does the Spot robot fulfill at instruction sites? Who is their potential customer base?

The construction industry is always pushing for advances in automation. They're like the mining industry: dangerous shit needs to get done, quickly, in large quantities in environments that we're not really built for. I'm pretty sure that you'll be seeing advanced robots in those industries way before you see them in, for example, the military.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
These creations are amazing, and I understand the concerns about a possible dystopian future under vengeful robotic overlords.

Still...I have high hopes that these robots will choose instead to delight and entertain us by tearing through American Ninja obstacle courses. :messenger_relieved:

As awesome as it would be to see these machines tearing through obstacle courses I'm more afraid of humans forcing them to compete in a more Robot Wars type show until they eventually gain consciousness and realize it would just be easier to fight us rather than each other thus creating the dystopian future under vengeful robotic overlords.

They are impressive and scary at the same time. The engineering etc is fantastic, just seeing it balance and correct itself so quickly is amazing. But it does make you think what happens when they become too smart and too advanced? We are fucked when that happens (provided they have a power source that lasts).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They are impressive and scary at the same time. The engineering etc is fantastic, just seeing it balance and correct itself so quickly is amazing. But it does make you think what happens when they become too smart and too advanced? We are fucked when that happens (provided they have a power source that lasts).

I am not worried about too smart or too advanced, rather, would be worried about those who have nefarious agendas using such devices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom