• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOTW2 needs to do a lot more "showing" and a lot less "telling"

watershed

Banned
I really liked how the Divine Beasts were handled in BOTW. Every town had a unique situation and you could talk to townspeople about it or not. Like the rain or the giant lava boulders, the developers used the environment to tell the story. In general I think Zelda games have less dialogue than other rpgs and I appreciate that. I certainly didn't notice myself reading a lot of dialogue during the game.

Zips

The various town inhabitants seemed fairly unconcerned or at most inconvenienced, and I think that was a fair drag on the sense of danger. I think the Zora were most concerned overall due to the expressed danger of their beast bursting the dam and flooding eventually all Hyrule if it weren't stopped.

Towns having to start evacuating or brace for monster attacks, etc. would have helped.

At least the guardians being fairly aimless is explained as due to Zelda occupying Ganon, if I recall.

More story to experience and/or discover would have been great too.

The various town inhabitants seemed fairly unconcerned or at most inconvenienced, and I think that was a fair drag on the sense of danger. I think the Zora were most concerned overall due to the expressed danger of their beast bursting the dam and flooding eventually all Hyrule if it weren't stopped.

Towns having to start evacuating or brace for monster attacks, etc. would have helped.

At least the guardians being fairly aimless is explained as due to Zelda occupying Ganon, if I recall.

More story to experience and/or discover would have been great too.

The towsfolk seem to act pretty proportionally to their situation. It's not like the beasts were inching closer to them every day, they were simply a looming danger that could attack at any moment. For the Rito it actively prevented them from flying around and a number of people in town were injured from being attacked. For the Gerudo it caused permanent lightning storms for anyone who approached, and was right by the city, acting as a detriment to their main livelihood (trade). For the Goron it literally caused rocks to rain down as they go closer to the volcano.

I think some of you are equating these to the moon in Majora's Mask where everyone was in constant fear because there was a clear approaching danger, when this was more like a potential danger. It was a concern, but it wasn't all people thought about

I think people are forgetting this is a post-apocalyptic Hyrule. These people have lived through some shit and the divine beasts are just the latest in a string of looming disasters over the part 100 years.

Top Bottom