• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOUND (PS4, Plastic, Sony Santa Monica) E3 Trailer

Shin-Ra

Digital Dragons 2016 − Michał Olejnik: Rendering and Post-Processing Pipeline of Bound

https://youtu.be/lFE2zsdsEq4
PDF slides and associated media are now online for this.

https://twitter.com/olejplastic/status/747449076199866368

I think these were all originally released in December.

Gameplay (1080p60 4xMSAA)

27905824396_0421ea49c6_o.png

27905823836_3c5b8ee552_o.png

27905823306_4f5919d73a_o.png

27905822436_580c297f0d_o.png

27838582842_565d75ac7c_o.png

Couple more I found on Twitter.

27327562424_67a90ee1cb_o.png
27905841626_5111855a74_o.png

These may be a bit more recent

27906389416_09e3942d84_o.png

27906394356_230a85e3c1_o.png

27906391506_a799e06c05_o.png

Photomode (Enhanced rendering settings at 30Hz, temporal supersampling when camera/input stops)

27327553414_f2a501fa69_o.png

27327552354_2f1ab34b91_o.png

27327551324_753c7d9948_o.png

Shin-Ra

Fun facts about the shadows!

In gameplay:
  • Most expensive rendering feature is four 2048x2048 shadow cascades (PCF 5x5 kernel, may ship with 3x3)
  • Separate shadow map for main character to maintain high quality at focal point

EhoaVash

played this at the store the other day,

pretty game, but the demo i played was boring =/
played like a walking simulator more than anything.
platforming felt really too simple. I was expecting some kind of combat, but there wasn't any in demo, just walk, do some dancing flips which honestly wasn't really fun and walk around.

very cool visually though

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I am in Awe.

Simply beautiful,really. Games like this are what differentiate Sony from their competition and why I will always buy PlayStation consoles

I really like that as we're a second generation into HD graphics devs aren't just trying to look as photo real as possible, but are also using the extra power to make incredibly beautiful crazy experimental games too.

Game looks absolutely beautiful, and the part at the end there actually gave me a small frighten. I think I'm gonna have to grab this.

Man all the creativity at Sony and Nintendo first party studios and then the core game play stuff at Microsoft (I mean that in a good way I just don't know how to word it properly) owning all three systems gives access to every kind of gaming experience imaginable, I really love this generation.

Shin-Ra

Sneaky peek at BOUND's photo mode options!

BoundPhotomode.jpg

The bottom three options are HIDE RIBBONS, HIDE MOOD TRIANGLES, FORCE ALL EFFECTS

Humdinger

Looks fantastic. I saw it first at the pre-show before Sony's E3 conference and was immediately impressed. I've probably watched the trailer a dozen times. Absolutely beautiful.

Makes me want to dig Roger Ebert up and say "Look at this!"

Shin-Ra

There's a SIGGRAPH livestream due to start in ten minutes or so (I think they're running late) BOUND is the second feature after "Adam"

edit: Show order isn't following the real time live page so you'll have to keep watching.

Live video here: http://s2016.siggraph.org/live-streaming-sessions

Bound
Bound is an innovative 3D platformer game with dynamic procedural environments inspired by the works of the demoscene. Procedural aspects of the game environment enabled solutions to some of the hardest problems of VR gaming.

Michael Staniszewski, Plastic

The Character Shading of Uncharted 4 section afterwards should be good too!

Shin-Ra

Evolving levels and experienced platformer gameplay from Gamespot's hands-on: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps...d-a-huge-my/1100-6442195/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

The developer's peculiar experiments with narrative don't end there, either. The world--the abstract part, that is--changes over the course of the game depending on the order in which you complete levels. You won't complete levels in any particular order; rather, each will require you to go back and play it again as you progress through the game. Staniszewski showed me how one level will be bright, alive, and full of enemies if you play it at the beginning of the game, but dark, rainy, and dead if played toward the end. He again refused to explain how this will play into the narrative, stating that Bound centers around players uncovering these secrets during gameplay.

This changing world also directly affects the second audience that Plastic is targeting: experienced players of platformers. Bound's platforming seemed simple and straightforward to me on my playthrough of the demo, and I completed the level with ease. But then Staniszewski took over, stepped up into the first room that I came across in my demo, and wall-jumped up to a path I didn't even know existed. He proceeded to show me a challenging and wildly different path through the level, one that was technically shorter but much more difficult than mine. And then he showed me another path, and another.

There are dozens upon dozens of ways through the levels in Bound--so many, in fact, that Staniszewski doesn't actually know of all of them. In addition, many paths only open up if you play a level later in the game, when the Fears disperse or when the game's environment is structured in a certain way. The developer has even built in a speedrunning mode into the game to encourage the speedrunning community to find the quickest path through the levels--which sounds like it'll take quite a bit of time.

Direct-feed photomode footage: https://twitter.com/plasticdemo/status/760131176497553408

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Oh wow, I didn't expect that, I was thinking about something very linear and scripted with Bound. Very interesting, can't wait to see how it plays and see if I can discover harder paths.

Very exciting. Glad to see the devs designed a complex platformer within the beautiful visual/animations showcase

If I hadn't already preordered, that would have probably sealed the deal for me

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Very exciting. Glad to see the devs designed a complex platformer within the beautiful visual/animations showcase

If I hadn't already preordered, that would have probably sealed the deal for me

Yeah this is very unexpected... in the best kind of way.

Ok Shin-Ra, your most recent post finally got me interested in this game beyond its gorgeous visuals. Sounds like something I could really get into.

I can't wait to see what reviews are like for this game. It looks great, I'm just hoping it has some depth and replayability.

I love that the player character looks like she's wearing Destiny's "Light Beyond Nemesis"

Light-Beyond-Nemesis.jpg

Humdinger

That Gamespot preview was a good read. A couple other excerpts:

"Bound's environments move and shift constantly. The entire world, composed of different geometric shapes, pulses and undulates. Walls fall apart and reassemble; tunnels emerge; floors fall away. Blocks and spheres appear from the ever-changing ground, thrown upward as if a giant creature living underneath is throwing a fit. Swarms of sharp-edged shapes and wiry polygonal worms wave and move, attacking if you get too close. And visuals shift as you move through each level. The world feels like you're moving through works of abstract art."

"I paused often at ledges to stare out at the disassembled levels. I felt enraptured by the vague lattices that were the only hints of familiar objects. Tornadoes of triangles and diamonds spun in the distance, and a massive monster scrambled over the deconstructed environment. It was both calming and eerie, as atmospheric music and art contrasted with the omnipresent monster and desolate setting."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps...d-a-huge-my/1100-6442195/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

This is on the PS4 demo unit at a Best Buy near me. I tried it yesterday for about 10 minutes, it's unusual and striking visually but I'm not sure it's for me.

Hopefully the review embargo lifts before Tuesday, as I'm wary on pre-ordering this, but if the critical consensus is solid, I'd like to get the PS+ discount and dynamic theme.

benzopil

Reviews should be live in 30 minutes if I'm not mistaken. I can't create a new thread, but will post them here.

Played it since Tuesday and can't wait to see what other people think.

Who's got the OT?

It doesn't look like anyone does. If no-one else wants it I will try to put something simple together before I leave work in about 7 hours, but I'm crap in Photoshop and so on, so it will be pretty straightforward.

My pre-order will unlock in 12.5 hours, but I think I will have to wait until tomorrow night to play it, as I've been up very late the last two nights watching the Olympics and I need an early night.

madmackem

You need to be quick On uk psn if you want to get it £2 cheaper the preorder discount ends tonight. Noticed this carries the vr logo too didn't know that. Looks something very different.

I'm not expecting some Nintendo level platforming, but I'm just hoping it has some weight and isn't rudimentary design behind the gameplay like it looks so far.

You need to be quick On uk psn if you want to get it £2 cheaper the preorder discount ends tonight. Noticed this carries the vr logo too didn't know that. Looks something very different.

I believe the patch for VR compatability will follow a few weeks after the game's release.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Unlocks in about 10 hours, can't wait. I didn't expect this game to be so sequence break/speedrun heavy, which the trophy list now reflects as well. Looks like a platinum I'd want to try for.

Kyonashi

Hmmmmmm, I don't want to play this until I get my PSVR headset, but there's a 20% pre-order sale which includes a dynamic theme... What to do, what to do?

Anyone think it'll get a bigger discount before mid-Oct?

halfbeast

Banned
Hmmmmmm, I don't want to play this until I get my PSVR headset, but there's a 20% pre-order sale which includes a dynamic theme... What to do, what to do?

it might get the same kind of deal for the VR launch, to sell those already released/now vr-compatible games. but that's just a theory.

Servbot24

Banned
I like all the different elements I'm seeing in this game but so far I don't quite see how they go together. Looking forward to finding out more though.

Sony are typically pretty quick to discount their games, so honestly I'd say hold off.

Top Bottom