• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOUND (PS4, Plastic, Sony Santa Monica) E3 Trailer

wouwie

It would be nice to see some reviews on this one prior to when the pre-order 20% off ends. I'm interested but i need to know a bit more on the game itself.

Kinyou

The trailer looks amazing, but after some of the gameplay videos I'm not so sure if the jumping will be fun. Looked kind of imprecise

ironmang

Unless the unlikely event that it's universally hated when reviews go up, I'll be for sure buying it and playing tonight.

jett

D-Member
Conclusion
Bound is beautifully presented and will make you think, but its basic platforming doesn't have the legs that developer Plastic thinks it has. Fans of emotionally charged titles like Gone Home will be satisfied with what's on offer here – but those looking for a quality platformer may want to dance with something a little more competent in that department.

Push Square - 6/10

Following in the footsteps of other indie games like Journey by doubling down on the enigmatic elements, blurring the line between game and experience, means that Bound probably won’t be for everyone. But for those who desire something different from their consoles, Bound will hit a certain spot that combines spectacular visuals with a compelling sense of mystery.

The Independent - No score

Each of our lives bind us to the lives of others, to our own desires and inadequacies, and to theirs. Bound is a reminder that through diversions like art, sport, dance and literature, there are ways to escape, at least for a while, and perhaps to re-emerge as someone slightly different. Bound is about finding that escape, and finding a way back. It presents us with a thought-provoking canvas of color, movement, narrative and grace that, while imperfect in execution, is nonetheless beguiling and beautiful.

Polygon - 7.5

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-15-bound-review
Plastic's PS4 debut is an uneasy but exquisite mix of demoscene artwork and platformer, lifted by a sumptuous dance vocabulary.

www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/08/15/bound-review/
Notgame’ isn’t the right tag for Bound, as there is a game here with platforming, puzzle solving, and defending against dangers, though admittedly much of it is about the journey undertaken. Plastic stated that narrative was the focus and it is part of everything, from the way the environments are shaped to the obstacles placed in front of the ballerina. Bound is easily one of the most stunning games to release on PS4, and if you’re searching for something a little different I heartily recommend it.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-bound-378611.phtml
If you were just going by screens alone, Bound looks like a typical action platformer at first glance. But it's much more ambitious than that, and that zeal unfortunately causes a few bumps in its very beautiful road.
For all my complaints, Bound is an interesting beast. The way it incorporates its animation style has been rarely, if ever done so well. It's well worth experiencing in some fashion, just maybe not at full price.

The platforming looked amateur-ish, so it's not surprising at all to hear it actually is. I'd have rather not had it and just play a walk-a-thon "experience" title. Oh well. At least they nailed the visuals and basic movements. Jumping looks busted though, which doesn't help the platforming at all either.

Top Bottom