• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boundary Gate and the subgenre of the FPS dungeon crawling RPG

VGEsoterica

I've always enjoyed a good RPG game, especially in the 16 bit era, but even I could end up a bit bored with the classic formula after awhile. Sure there some absolute classics in the RPG genre from back in the 90's but Star Ocean can start blending into Chrono Trigger which can blend into Bahomet Lagoon a touch...basically they all started feeling a bit "samey".

Cue the first person dungeon crawling JRPG; a subgenre of the standard RPG formula where...you guessed it...the entire game takes place from the first person perspective. Yes it's the same genre as an RPG but by changing the entire perspective somehow it feels like it freshens up the whole experience and makes RPG's feel fresh again.

One of the rarer entries (because I can't help but try to showcase rare and unloved games in the hopes more people will check them out) is Boundary Gate on the PC-FX. It's your classic "hero takes on adventure, monsters arrive, JRPG shenanigans ensure" but somehow by pivoting the perspective to the first person it feels unique and interesting. SO maybe if you feel like me sometimes and really want to play another 16 or 32 bit RPG but you are a little tired with the genre...give something like this (with a walkthrough) a chance!

Top Bottom