• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BRÜTAL LEGEND official thread of umlauts and schaferian awesomeness

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Does anyone know if there will be open end-ness to the actual levels or will they be mostly linear.
I saw the world map/hub in the youtube video on getting an achievement from going to one point in the map to the other end & it looked huge, but wondering how the levels will play out?

saunderez

FTWer said:
Does anyone know if there will be open end-ness to the actual levels or will they be mostly linear.
Most of the actual levels are "get from point A to B and do X" so they are fairly linear. They do take place in the same world as the hub world, it doesn't appear seamless due to the mission intros but it is. You can return to anywhere a mission has taken place outside of that mission to explore.

Fox Mulder

MMaRsu said:
Where did you get the game? :eek:

a nice store sold it early. Happens a lot in major cities.

RPGCrazied said:
geeze.. why does everyone say they can beat it in 5-6hours?

lol, oh well.

I'm not saying everyone will want to, just that's it's possible if you fly through the game only doing story missions. I'm not even on pace to do it, because I didn't really want to. It's a very well done game that will have you playing it for more than 6 hours.

I enjoyed what I've played so far, although I don't particularly like the RTS parts. They're pretty straight forward, but fairly repetitive though. That may disappoint the people who do like that gameplay.

BobTheFork said:
If anyone has to type up that much about what they hate, they must need to prove the point very badly. This game is going to be so good :D

Um, wasn't Painey a diehard fan of this game?

I don't see why he would just make up stuff and pretend to not like the game....

saunderez

Vercingetorix said:
I don't see why he would just make up stuff and pretend to not like the game....
I don't think anyone is claiming he's making things up. But I wonder if we are playing the same game when he talks of control and camera issues when I've had none.

Haunted

Alright.

ALRIGHT ALREADY!

After playing the demo for the fourth time, I finally broke down and pre-ordered the 360 version. Was set on getting this at a later date for cheap (you know it's gonna happen) but I couldn't fucking do it. Not for a Schafer game.

Someone comfort me and tell me I did the right thing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
painey said:
I laughed once the entire time
Your credibility would have been gone after this alone, even if you were talking about the demo, not the full game.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
Alright.

ALRIGHT ALREADY!

After playing the demo for the fourth time, I finally broke down and pre-ordered the 360 version. Was set on getting this at a later date for cheap (you know it's gonna happen) but I couldn't fucking do it. Not for a Schafer game.

Someone comfort me and tell me I did the right thing.
I'm always here for you Haunted.

I'm curious which version Gafers will be picking up. Having both systems, I wonder if one is superior over the other? I do have multiplatform games that have an install on the PS3- I think it's 2.5 GBs?

Soo..

360 version

or

PS3 version?

Haunted

Jive Turkey said:
I'm always here for you Haunted.
care-bears_best-friends.jpg

Square Triangle said:
360 version

or

PS3 version?
I'm picking up the 360 version after comparing the demos.

Less framerate dips and no noticeable tearing issues were my main reasons.

Gah, I don't know who to believe, and the demo didn't really help.

Even watching a boss battle on youtube hasn't confirmed or denied it for me....

Shurs

Tadale said:
When do reviews go up? It's kind of strange that not one single review hasbeen posted yet.

A writer on another board said his review was embargoed until noon PST on Tuesday.

Eric WK

Vercingetorix said:
Is that when the game comes out? What bullshit. I don't know how they manage to enforce these embargoes so well.

Uh, because outlets want to continue receiving review code.

Shurs

Vercingetorix said:
Is that when the game comes out? What bullshit. I don't know how they manage to enforce these embargoes so well.

It was in a thread on the Quarter to Three forums. Tom Chick said in the same thread (and I'm paraphrasing here) that the game is awesome and people should buy it.

Eric WK said:
Uh, because outlets want to continue receiving review code.

That makes sense, but how do movie critics avoid that?

Everything else in this industry gets leaked, its ironic that the one thing that should be revealed early, reviews, often aren't.

Proc

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those games I won't be able to put down until it is over. I was going to buy aion but then I remembered this and Uncharted 2 are both coming out this week. No time for mmos when a super solide videogaming week is upon us.

yurinka

I live in LA and all the stores that use to be nice about breaking release dates have turned into bastards since the bioshock incident *cough toys r'us cough* . One good thing is that gameplay swears they'll have it tomorrow. Off topic but gameplay has uncharted 2 already and I'm going to pick up that and brutal legend tomorrow when I go in.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Vercingetorix said:
That makes sense, but how do movie critics avoid that?

Everything else in this industry gets leaked, its ironic that the one thing that should be revealed early, reviews, often aren't.

Movie critics review 2hr long movies and can review the same day as opening if need be. Game companies hold all the power and content and games aren't usually reviewed that quick. =P

I'm surprised you guys aren't giving EA shit for this. GAF does it when Ubisoft embargoes reviews. Even bitched about Batman.

Vercingetorix said:
Um, wasn't Painey a diehard fan of this game?

I didn't say he was making it up or pretending not to like it. My point was that if the comments are that long, he must have been wanting some from the game he didn't get. I have no expectations of the game itself, I just can't see myself hating the experience regardless of the gameplay. It's going to be a really awesome game regardless for me.

Kintaro said:
Movie critics review 2hr long movies and can review the same day as opening if need be. Game companies hold all the power and content and games aren't usually reviewed that quick. =P

I'm surprised you guys aren't giving EA shit for this. GAF does it when Ubisoft embargoes reviews. Even bitched about Batman.

What publisher does not embargo reviews? I assumed most of them do, but when I think about it I can't think of an Activision Blizzard game that didn't have reviews before release day.

I remember reading somewhere that the review embargo goes up on Tuesday, 3PM EST. Is that correct? Have there been any reviews out?

I am at the part where the open worl begins and you really start out using the RTS mechanics.

Game is really good but the AI sucks man. Enemies running into walls etc...

Square Triangle said:
I'm curious which version Gafers will be picking up. Having both systems, I wonder if one is superior over the other? I do have multiplatform games that have an install on the PS3- I think it's 2.5 GBs?

Soo..

360 version

or

PS3 version?

My Party Chat friends want to team up in 4v4 matches and we will pwn all who oppose us.

Plus, I have already called Drowning Doom

I watched a few of the videos on youtube from the guys who have the game early....RTS elements definitely aren't looking good. I'm hoping the rest of the game will make up for it.

Einbroch

Banned
Just beat the game, and I'm pleased to say it was very fun.

Good points:

- I really enjoyed the RTS bits.
- Some upgrades are really unique and require you to plan ahead. Added some strategy.
- Graphics are really great. Mostly due to the art design, but it was a treat for the eyes.
- Adventure was fairly long, took me 18 hours getting about 30% of the missables and 90% of the side missions.
- The soundtrack...I can't say enough. It was absolutely amazing. Really set the mood.
- There's a section where you...well, I won't spoil it. But I was super hyped during it and had to let out a sigh when it was all said and done.
- Atmosphere was amazing. You can see the polish.
- Humor was great (in the beginning).

Bad points:

- The beginning of the game favored hand-to-hand combat, whereas later in the game it was 90% stage (RTS) battles. More balance would be nice.
- Humor DEFINITELY tapered off near the end. It got too serious too quick.
- Be careful where you get out of your car. You can get stuck behind things with no way to escape. This happened to me twice. Very frustrating.
- Camera during a certain side mission involving a cannon was incredibly annoying.
- Ending was a letdown. I know why they did it the way they did, but eh...
- Last boss was a joke.

Einbroch said:
Just beat the game, and I'm pleased to say it was very fun.

Good points:

- I really enjoyed the RTS bits.
- Some upgrades are really unique and require you to plan ahead. Added some strategy.
- Graphics are really great. Mostly due to the art design, but it was a treat for the eyes.
- Adventure was fairly long, took me 18 hours getting about 30% of the missables and 90% of the side missions.
- The soundtrack...I can't say enough. It was absolutely amazing. Really set the mood.
- There's a section where you...well, I won't spoil it. But I was super hyped during it and had to let out a sigh when it was all said and done.
- Atmosphere was amazing. You can see the polish.
- Humor was great (in the beginning).

Bad points:

- The beginning of the game favored hand-to-hand combat, whereas later in the game it was 90% stage (RTS) battles. More balance would be nice.
- Humor DEFINITELY tapered off near the end. It got too serious too quick.
- Be careful where you get out of your car. You can get stuck behind things with no way to escape. This happened to me twice. Very frustrating.
- Camera during a certain side mission involving a cannon was incredibly annoying.
- Ending was a letdown. I know why they did it the way they did, but eh...
- Last boss was a joke.
Is the final bossfight as bad as the one in Fable II? That "final boss fight" made me go from "I love this game and I will keep it forever" to "This is going to GameStop."

Einbroch

Banned
Keavy_Rain said:
Is the final bossfight as bad as the one in Fable II? That "final boss fight" made me go from "I love this game and I will keep it forever" to "This is going to GameStop."
No. You actually fight the last boss. :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
How reliable is Amazon's release date delivery? I got that shipping method for Brutal Legend, but I hear stories about Amazon not shipping the game early enough to have it arrive the day it releases and so on.

Keavy_Rain said:

I never understand why people care about final boss fights so much. Most games don't have memorable boss fights at all, they're only highlights in a few genres.

Fable II certainly isn't the kind of game I would expect to have a crazy final boss fight. I've never played an open world game where the final boss was that great, I don't know why anyone would expect this one to have a climactic boss fight.

Einbroch

Banned
Vercingetorix said:
I never understand why people care about final boss fights so much. Most games don't have memorable boss fights at all, they're only highlights in a few genres.

Fable II certainly isn't the kind of game I would expect to have a crazy final boss fight. I've never played an open world game where the final boss was that great, I don't know why anyone would expect this one to have a climactic boss fight.
Because it's the climax of the game.

It's like when you read a book, get to the second to last page, and the antagonist just keels over and says "you win". You're wondering to yourself if that's it.

You're building up to that moment, and when it's lame, well...it dampens the whole experience.

Einbroch said:
Because it's the climax of the game.

It's like when you read a book, get to the second to last page, and the antagonist just keels over and says "you win". You're wondering to yourself if that's it.

You're building up to that moment, and when it's lame, well...it dampens the whole experience.

Yeah, but the number of games that I've played with really enjoyable and/or surprising final bosses could be counted on one hand. Ocarina of Time is the first and pretty much last to come to mind. Mass Effect didn't have a great end battle, but it had an awesome climax/denouement in general, to me that's what matters most.

Einbroch

Banned
Vercingetorix said:
Yeah, but the number of games that I've played with really enjoyable and/or surprising final bosses could be counted on one hand. Ocarina of Time is the first and pretty much last to come to mind. Mass Effect didn't have a great end battle, but it had an awesome climax/denouement in general, to me that's what matters most.
That can be true, and I agree that a lame boss battle can be overcome by an outstanding denouement. That said, the last boss is interactive, and it's extra special (at least to me) to be a part of this moment, instead of watching it.

Einbroch said:
That can be true, and I agree that a lame boss battle can be overcome by an outstanding denouement. That said, the last boss is interactive, and it's extra special (at least to me) to be a part of this moment, instead of watching it.

Yeah, lots of books and movies that I really like don't have the generic final confrontation either, like Lord of the Rings for instance. Sauron doesn't come out and get into a fist fight with Aragorn at the end, but it still has a hell of a climax and ending sequence. I think it shows real talent if developers/writers/directors can avoid the cliches and still make it memorable.

Domino Theory said:
How reliable is Amazon's release date delivery? I got that shipping method for Brutal Legend, but I hear stories about Amazon not shipping the game early enough to have it arrive the day it releases and so on.

I've NEVER had a bad order with Amazon in the 4 or 5 years I've been using them. All release day, one day shipping, two day shipping, standard shipping, and free shipping orders have arrived earlier than the indicated date for me personally. If you've had a good experience with them before, I'm inclined to believe that will continue. I've even gotten a couple of games 1 or 2 days before release like GTA IV, Bioshock, and some others.

Buckethead said:

Whoa-ho-ho...HYPE

Top Bottom