• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BRÜTAL LEGEND official thread of umlauts and schaferian awesomeness

schlew

Rickard said:
What does the free axe do?

No idea, could just be cosmetic. As I imagine it's the axe Schafer made mention of on his blog...

axe_of_ormag%C3%B6den.jpg

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I just realized I never got the preorder bonus from gamestop... was that the Tenacious D guitar?

The last Battle is brutally cheap on Brutal...I mean I built up a huge army destroyed, the towers, and then AI attacks me with a massive wave of enemies....the AI has no tactics beyond magically creating creating huge armies while possessing near zero resources

Minamu

Dave1988 said:
Would anyone be willing to help me get the Ringleader, Painkiller, Dollpocalypse, Euthanasia and Death From Above trophies?

PSN is Dave1988
YES! If you help me get the same stuff :D PSN: Minamu

Edit: GMT+1 though so beware :)

Dave1988

nelsonroyale said:
The last Battle is brutally cheap on Brutal...I mean I built up a huge army destroyed, the towers, and then AI attacks me with a massive wave of enemies....the AI has no tactics beyond magically creating creating huge armies while possessing near zero resources

The strat there is to take down one tower, rally your troops to the second one, destroy the downed tower and immediately after that attack the second one. It should go down before the enemy's troops have the chance to do anything.

Dave1988 said:
The strat there is to take down one tower, rally your troops to the second one, destroy the downed tower and immediately after that attack the second one. It should go down before the enemy's troops have the chance to do anything.

Cheers, but my prob is the massive attack after I killed the second tower. I may just drop the difficulty down to normal, enjoyed the ride, but kind of want to finish it up tonight

nelsonroyale said:
Cheers, but my prob is the massive attack after I killed the second tower. I may just drop the difficulty down to normal, enjoyed the ride, but kind of want to finish it up tonight
Build 4 sets of headbangers and take the towers (LB, press right on d-pad).

You should get all of them before they even come to get you. Hopefully you have the High Voltage strings by now, they come in handy to dispense anyone you see by foot.

Build your stage until Rock Crusher and use it forever. You'll probably have to build 2 because it'll get destroyed after the bridge, but yeah.

Worked like a charm for me. But yeah, cheap ass fight.

V_Ben

Banned
well, i just finished it. bloody loved it, filled to the brim with heavy metal atmosphere and goodies like that. i even actually liked the character-strategy elements, much to my own surprise. now i just gotta go and explore that whole world, so much more stuff to collect! :lol

anyone experience freezing during cutscenes when playing this on 360? Happened to me about 10 min into the game, dashboard wouldn't come up, couldn't turn the controller off either, had to power cycle the console. loaded my save file, happened again just a few min later, each time it was transitioning into a cutscene. I did a quick google search and one guy said his 360 RRoD'ed the next day, anyone?

edit: I skipped the cutscene by mashing buttons, but it just froze on me anyway during the first driving sequence. this is annoying

Gryphter said:
anyone experience freezing during cutscenes when playing this on 360?

Strange. My system seemed like it was running a little harder and has lagged a bit, but never froze like that.
I just spit-shined the disc and never had a problem after.

Buckethead said:
Strange. My system seemed like it was running a little harder and has lagged a bit, but never froze like that.
I just spit-shined the disc and never had a problem after.

hmm. I have a brand new copy, I took the shrink wrap off just before playing. It happens everytime now, no longer during a cutscene but during the driving sequence. I'll either get a gray snow effect (like a cable tv channel you don't get) or you'll see the game, with some gray snowy lines going up and down.

360 is only a year old and I think it's a Falcon. Think I should exchange the game for another copy? I still have the receipt

edit: yep, red ringed just now. I guess the power of metal and rock was too much for my console to handle

I'm glad that I've stuck with the game, I've definitely grown to enjoy the experience the longer I've played it. I've done about 70% of the single player, while there's a lot to like about this game--the character designs, the overall aesthetic of the world, the idea of the game, the sound track, rolling through the hills with the Deuce blaring Deadly Sinner while I shoot or mow down whatever is in my way--the stage battles kind of kill it for me. I think I get them pretty well, at least well enough to work my way through the single player without much problem. I mix up using guitar solo's, creating units, gathering resources, defending and attacking with friendly units, directly engaging enemy units, using Call of the Wild for free friendly units in battles, buffing my squads, pulling out a Face Melter here and there. There's just something haphazard and kind of clumsy about the stage battles that just doesn't gel with me.

Also I feel like a giant tool because I've just realized that you just need Pyro to free the bound serpents. All this time I thought you needed a specific solo to free them. Yeah, I should have read EA's ghetto black and white five page leaflet of a manual sooner.

Darkpen

Banned
I just wanted to drop by and say that Tim Schafer looks a lot like the character Edward Steam in the anime film "Steam Boy." That is all.

Minamu

Darkpen said:
I just wanted to drop by and say that Tim Schafer looks a lot like the character Edward Steam in the anime film "Steam Boy." That is all.
Or An Edward Scissorhands that has gained weight :lol At least the hair :) Adorable :p

Finished it and enjoyed it..

Fantastic overall aesthetic...some of the gameplay mechanics were a bit basic and tactics in rts were sometimes non-existant, but the overall package is streamlined and fun

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LocoMrPollock said:
There's no way 2 maps could be in an update or 108kb. Fucking EA.
this was probably just a strategy to get people to reexamine the multiplayer. Blame MS for making them charge for it.

If you don't like the stage battles why would you play a mode based entirely around that concept? I haven't examined the multiplayer in the first place, given that it's based around the aspect of the game that I enjoy the least, seems rather unlikely two maps--which are only free for the first two weeks, Sony will be charging for them just like Microsoft is currently--would change that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you think that someone playing the single player game and then hearing about multiplayer DLC and, as a result, ends up thinking "oh, I should really check out that multiplayer mode" is out of the realm of possibility?

Flynn

Jive Turkey said:
So has anybody gotten the Beastmaster achievement/trophy? I can't seem to paralyze tollusks or hextadons.

I had trouble too. You have to zap and/or whack them for a long time before you get the stun and the capacity to ride.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jive Turkey said:
So has anybody gotten the Beastmaster achievement/trophy? I can't seem to paralyze tollusks or hextadons.
you just need to shock them heaps. consider using the standard guitar if your current one is taking too much damage. :)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Flynn said:
I had trouble too. You have to zap and/or whack them for a long time before you get the stun and the capacity to ride.
Rez said:
you just need to shock them heaps. consider using the standard guitar if your current one is taking too much damage. :)
Yeah I've tried all the strings and I just end up killing them. :( I was hoping there was a trick to it.

Aske

Jive Turkey said:
Yeah I've tried all the strings and I just end up killing them. :( I was hoping there was a trick to it.

If I remember correctly, I got it after beating all the hunter missions and riding beasts that were willingly summoned with the Call of the Wild solo. That might be more time consuming than doing it with guitar stuns, but it's an alternative.

Jive Turkey said:

Just revert back to the original strings and you should be fine.
Note: You have to be at the Hextadon's ass to ride it.

Natakuu

Banned
Just beat this game the other day. Definitely walked away disappointed...I wasn't a fan of any of the RTS stuff. The game had great style, I enjoyed some of the comedy and all the use of music and metal in general. I just really hated the RTS stuff..played through on Brutal on my first playthrough and found a couple of the battles to be really frustrating.

Rickard

Natakuu said:
Just beat this game the other day. Definitely walked away disappointed...I wasn't a fan of any of the RTS stuff. The game had great style, I enjoyed some of the comedy and all the use of music and metal in general. I just really hated the RTS stuff..played through on Brutal on my first playthrough and found a couple of the battles to be really frustrating.

Well, I mean, you can't really complain about difficulty when you play for the first time on hard. That's just something you should expect.

Also, my only complaint about the stage battles is that they only appeared in the main story.

I think if they had made some stage battle side missions people would have learned them faster and enjoyed them more.

Natakuu

Banned
Rickard said:
Well, I mean, you can't really complain about difficulty when you play for the first time on hard. That's just something you should expect.

Also, my only complaint about the stage battles is that they only appeared in the main story.

I think if they had made some stage battle side missions people would have learned them faster and enjoyed them more.
It just felt really cheap at times. Perhaps it was just because I was frustrated at the time but it seemed like the computer was really good at creating full armies out of nowhere. I didn't always feel like I was losing to a 'legit' strategy, just a cheap computer.

wRATH2x

Banned
I wonder if the game sells well, would we get a sequel anytime soon?

I was also pretty disappointed when I read that the story was longer.

Personally I loved the game, but I wish that the gameplay elements were more cohesive.

For example for the stage battles put more emphasis on using your hack n' slashing and the deuce. In addition, I would rather that it have a Borderlands style Co-Op system for the main quest rather than multiplayer.
Instead of being an RTS in a section, a driving game in a section, and a hack n' slash at a section, I wish they were melded together. The controls for the RTS stuff didn't help.

But still an excellent game, but the campaign is the bread and butter. Especially with the online issues for multi.

So yeah, Schaf, buy a copy of Jak II and III and put your style and metal and awesome writing over it. ;)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Aske said:
If I remember correctly, I got it after beating all the hunter missions and riding beasts that were willingly summoned with the Call of the Wild solo. That might be more time consuming than doing it with guitar stuns, but it's an alternative.
I've ridden every animal with Call of the Wild. No joy.

Proven

For riding the wild Hextadon's, you have to quickly run up behind them, do a heap of lightning (I usually do about 4 or 5), and either hope the ride command shows up or keep shocking them until it does. A burst of lightning seems to stun things easier rather than pacing them worrying about killing them.

For the ride every animal achievement, every single rideable creature in the game is presented to you with the kill creatures quest line, with the exception of two, the porcupines and the winged weeper things. Needless to say, not every rideable creature will pop up using the Call of the Wild solo, although some of the Drowning Doom area creatures might if you play Call of the Wild in their area.

G.O.O.

Duh, I finished the secondary objectives this morning (fuck the hunter), hoping that it would give me something or, at the very least, unlock something on this fucking marker that stayed on the freeway since I finished the main quest.

I hate when games make you finish them at 100 % just for the sake of doing so, and mirroring a reward without giving it is worse :mad:

I know that it's not for this game only, and it's still a good game to me. At least, It made me want to finish it, quite rare these days.

Darklord

Banned
What I'd like to see next game:

- Biggest world, longer story.
- Remove multiplayer and put the effort into single player.
- Maybe have a level up system for Eddie so there can be a bit more depth in the gameplay.
- Work on all aspects of gameplay, even remove a part(RTS, open world ect) so it's not a jack-of-all-trades.
- More fleshed out characters.
- Side missions that mean something.

How'd it sell anyway? Are the numbers around anywhere yet?

wRATH2x

Banned
Darklord said:

- Maybe have a level up system for Eddie so there can be a bit more depth in the gameplay.
- Work on all aspects of gameplay, even remove a part(RTS, open world ect) so it's not a jack-of-all-trades.

Yes man, Schafer created quite the world and characters. And made a foundation full of potential.

Brutal Legend II must happen!

Hellcrow

G.O.O. said:
Duh, I finished the secondary objectives this morning (fuck the hunter), hoping that it would give me something or, at the very least, unlock something on this fucking marker that stayed on the freeway since I finished the main quest.

I hate when games make you finish them at 100 % just for the sake of doing so, and mirroring a reward without giving it is worse :mad:

I know that it's not for this game only, and it's still a good game to me. At least, It made me want to finish it, quite rare these days.

You actually get a reward for finishing all the races and hunting quests. Go to the stonehenge thingy where you first found the hunter. He should give you a reward. It is not marked, though.

Minamu

Darklord said:

Sounds great. Let's make it! :) Also, I'd like a world that feels like characters have actually lived lives in it. As it stand now, most of the maps just feel empty like movie studio set pieces. Lifeless, you know. Common issue with open world games of course.

Top Bottom