• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandish is on sale on US PSN, don't miss out on this GotY contender

I am getting quite a collection of Falcom games on steam, I don't own a psp or vita how likely is this gonna come to steam?
Falcom doesn't do PC games anymore, all the ones on Steam are old.Even If someone would start porting Falcom games again, I doubt this one would have a high priority

Tizoc

I am getting quite a collection of Falcom games on steam, I don't own a psp or vita how likely is this gonna come to steam?

Incredibly slim, this game was originally released in Japan like 5 years ago, and while there are PSP ports on Steam, of a sort, there's no indication this'd release on Steam any time soon.
I'd like to be proven wrong though, but if you have a PSP emulator there should eb a way to get the game to run with it on PC.

Producer

Great thread. Any Falcom shilling thread is a ok in my book

Also cmon guys, psp's are dirt cheap and pstv's are also super cheap as well.

What if I didn't like Legend of Grimrock? What parts of Grimrock is this similar to?
I can't think of many myself. Brandish is a first-person dungeon crawler played in third-person, like if you decided to play an FPS in third-person but without any need to aim (Ares does the hard stuff for you). It can get hectic and somewhat like an action game depending on the battles you fight and how good you get with strafing and jumping.

nakedeyes

Banned
+1 on loving this game! I bought it during release ( I thought it was last year, but I guess it was early this year? ) after coming down for a Ys high and knowing Falcom = Fun as shit!

I was hooked. Made it all the way through the game ( not through the hard mode though.. Guess I could go back to that! ) and I loved it. It's a great pick up and play game for the vita.

A few useful starting tips since the game comes with no kind of digital manual and the tutorial doesn't cover that much.

1) Pressing triangle in front of an enemy lets you see it's stats (fills up after defeating at least one iirc). Most importantly you can see the enemy's magic defense and regular defense. Useful in knowing why you doing a lot or a little damage against certain enemies depending on using melee or magic. Also nice to know a monster's name.

2) Paying attention to your magic defense stat is useful and will require you to get hit by magic to actually raise it unlike normal defense which seems dependent on armors. There is an enemy half way through the Ruins that you can grind it up a few levels to gain better footing early on.
It looks like a green fish with a bob on it's head. It can also be used to grind magic attack up too, since it has very high magic defense
I know my stats were a mess halfway through the game since I didn't pay attention to how they leveled up.

3) The word "poison" looks a lot like "potion". When sorting inventory don't be in a hurry and be sure to read labels carefully!

4) Resting seems to have no downside besides the shame of having the scratches on the wall build up. But monsters can 1-shot you if you rest and they find you. Even the puniest ones can destroy you if caught resting.

jorgeton

Great game. Everyone who is into dungeon crawlers needs to check it out. Tough, but fair. And tons of fun. Very pick up and play friendly too since you can save anywhere.

FROM's success with the Souls series has been bittersweet for me. I suppose Atlus' success with Persona as well, to a lesser extent. Falcom has always felt right on the verge of similar breakout success but then it just doesn't happen. I hope their greatness will be appreciated by a larger audience but if they can continue making great games for a relatively small audience I'll be perfectly happy.

autoduelist

What if I didn't like Legend of Grimrock? What parts of Grimrock is this similar to?

Legend of Grimrock is a grid based, real time, first person dungeon crawler.
Brandished is a grid based, real time, top-down dungeon crawler.

In other words, genre-wise, they are very similar. There are obviously significant differences once you peel down a few layers, but in terms of 'type' of game they've got the same dna as others, like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc.

I've played the original, then bought this remake at full price earlier this year, don't regret it at all. Amazing game, enjoyed every minute of it. Well, except for
that floor with all the pits. Man, fuck that floor :p

RK128

As someone who doesn't have DRPG's click with them, is this game inviting enough to draw me in?

I tried Demons Gaze and that didn't click with me sadly :(.

As someone who doesn't have DRPG's click with them, is this game inviting enough to draw me in?

This game is extremely unique in the way it looks and plays. You may love it, you may like it, you may hate it. I'd say watch some playthrough videos. I really can't compare it to anything

RK128

This game is extremely unique in the way it looks and plays. You may love it, you may like it, you may hate it. I'd say watch some playthrough videos. I really can't compare it to anything

Okay, will give some youtube videos a shot, and see if the game interests me then. Thank you for the heads up man :D.

Too bad its vita/psp only, I'd buy it if it was PS4. I even own a vita but have no room on my 16gb card, don't really play the thing anymore, and would never get around to playing this.

Devs really should x-release a PS4 of every vita game at the same time, don't understand why they would give up that market.

I don't feel it's like Demons Gaze or Grimrock at all. If anything it feels more like a rogue-like game (e.g. mysterious dungeon series), except the dungeon is much better designed (i.e. not procedurally generated), the screen perspective shifts with you, and game doesn't pause when you do. Err... well, so it's not like a rogue-like either, lol. It really does defy categorization.

Dusting off my PSP for this. Gotta keep it real as fuck.

Even though I have a Vita.

It looks and plays flawlessly on the Vita, just sayin'.

RK128

Too bad its vita/psp only, I'd buy it if it was PS4. I even own a vita but have no room on my 16gb card, don't really play the thing anymore, and would never get around to playing this.

Devs really should x-release a PS4 of every vita game at the same time, don't understand why they would give up that market.

But PS4 doesn't run PSP games, so it is hard to expect PS4's to have a PSP emulator working.

Hell, it took two years before Sony put a PS2 emulator up on the PS4 (and even than the support is lacking a bit, with some games having issues and PS2 Classics not working on it) and PS1 support is still not on PS4.

I'm sorry you can't play the game man :(. But before you start asking for PSP games to work on PS4, we have to wait until PS1 games work on it first.

Not being bitter or anything toward you, just pointing out how backwards Sony is regarding emulation on PS4.

Jazz573

It's also got a FM Towns version besides the PC-98 one. Also has Chinese, Korean, and Taiwanese DOS versions. The Taiwanese version actually has a CDDA soundtrack.

if it was on ps4 I'd get it in a second. at this point they should just make vita emulation for ps4. they'd sell more games for sure. I mean, they've basically abandoned vita at this point, right? it's win win for everybody.

Shizuka

if it was on ps4 I'd get it in a second. at this point they should just make vita emulation for ps4. they'd sell more games for sure. I mean, they've basically abandoned vita at this point, right? it's win win for everybody.

Except this isn't a Vita game, it's a PSP one. If you're going to port beg, at least do your research.

MrDoctor

this is a real-time action game with a third-person perspective. everything is designed around being able to see your full surroundings and quite unique for the genre

Producer

This game is quite different, DG is first person and turn based while this is third person and in real time. They both revolve around dungeon crawling though and Brandish is soo much better in this aspect than demon gaze.

RK128

this is a real-time action game with a third-person perspective. everything is designed around being able to see your full surroundings and quite unique for the genre

So it has real-time action element but has the core of a DRPG? .....Very interesting.

This game is quite different, DG is first person and turn based while this is third person and in real time. They both revolve around dungeon crawling though and Brandish is soo much better in this aspect than demon gaze.

Sounds great to me, as while I liked elements of Demon Gaze, it didn't grab me. Hearing this one does some elements of that game a lot better is really nice to hear :).

A few useful starting tips since the game comes with no kind of digital manual and the tutorial doesn't cover that much.
Can you grind magic defense EXP all the way to max level in Dark Revenant by taking shots from a magic caster, resting in safety, and then going back in? And when you say resting leaves you vulnerable, do you mean instant K.O. or just ridiculous non-fatal damage like in the version I played? These sound like great rebalancing choices on Falcom's part.

Tizoc

Can you grind magic defense EXP all the way to max level in Dark Revenant by taking shots from a magic caster, resting in safety, and then going back in? And when you say resting leaves you vulnerable, do you mean instant K.O. or just ridiculous non-fatal damage like in the version I played? These sound like great rebalancing choices on Falcom's part.

Funnily enough I max out magic resist in the final area of the game. There was an enemy that was in a hallway and there was a path next to them.
I just cast regen mgic and let them wittle at me and I eventually managed to max out my magic resist.

Producer

Yep you can grind out that way. I believe for resting you're just vulnerable to getting hit, not some instant KO but im not sure , never used rest.

Tizoc

Yep you can grind out that way. I believe for resting you're just vulnerable to getting hit, not some instant KO but im not sure , never used rest.

You don't actually HAVE to grind to beat this game, but getting your magic resist to maximum so easily is recommended for the final boss at least. Plus it's only what mostly 5 minutes to fully max it?

entremet

Bought this. Did the tutorial. Looks really fun.

I always wanted the SNES version back in the day, but I didn't have the disposable income back then.

I learned about it calling the Nintendo hotline. One of the game counselors recommended it lol.

I love dungeon crawls.

Screw Fallout 4 and AC Syndicate. I've been slowly progressing in those two games for a month and feeling like my love for games is dead. Then this goes on sale(had my eye on it). Life renewed! I love this game so much. Just actual simple, gameplay. How can I play the sequels? I'm in the Caves I will need more soon!

God I love Falcom.

Screw Fallout 4 and AC Syndicate. I've been slowly progressing in those two games for a month and feeling like my love for games is dead. Then this goes on sale(had my eye on it). Life renewed! I love this game so much. Just actual simple, gameplay. How can I play the sequels? I'm in the Caves I will need more soon!

God I love Falcom.
You can legally emulate the PC-98 versions of Brandish 2 & 3 via Project EGG; there's also a fan translation of 2's Super Famicom port.

natertots

Picking up a Vita tomorrow and was looking for some new games to play on it. This definitely interests me. Will pick up for sure.

autoduelist

I just finished the first 2 maps 100% and then didn't save. I'm dumber than dumb, have to completely restart.... I thought when you saw 'retry point' flash when you went to a new level it was auto-saving. DAMN. That really, really stinks... at least I'm enjoying it tons and will get right back into it.

Also -- tip to newbs, if a chest is locked it will tell you. If a door is locked, you need to try a key. I was searching for hidden pressure plates or levers on map 1 for ages because i expected locked doors to tell me they were locked like chests did [as opposed to needing a lever].... finally just tried a key and could keep going.

Since combat is real time I think you might find it more to your liking than turn based drpgs, then.

I don't feel it's like Demons Gaze or Grimrock at all. If anything it feels more like a rogue-like game (e.g. mysterious dungeon series), except the dungeon is much better designed (i.e. not procedurally generated), the screen perspective shifts with you, and game doesn't pause when you do. Err... well, so it's not like a rogue-like either, lol. It really does defy categorization.

It's literally Grimrock style dungeon crawling -- grid based, real time, puzzles, etc. Monsters move on their own schedule, attack, etc. If you took a game like Grimrock [eye of the beholder, dungeon master, etc] and made it top down, it would play like Brandish. Likewise, if you made Brandish first person, it would look like Grimrock.

Like, other than Grim Rock being a blobber [multiple people in your party] and Brandish being a single character, it's just a perspective change. To get to traditional roguelikes, you actually would need to change mechanics [true turn based, etc]. So it's much closer in gameplay to Grimrock overall.

Top Bottom