• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default Outsells Lightning Returns FF13 in the US

Mozendo

As a person who considers FFV to be one of the best FF games, I really disliked BD.

I hope bravely comes to consoles
I hope it doesn't.
It'd just be weird, not only that but there's nothing wrong with strong games being handheld exclusives and we need those more than ever since the smartphone gaming and such.

Dark_castle

50% of BD is fantastic. Battle system, job system, secondary/side boss characters are entertaning, story is kinda interesting but they blow it. What they need for the second game is to not make the same mistakes the first did in it's second half.

If Bravely Second is as good as the first half of BD for it's entirety then it'll be the best FF game in years.

True. Bravely Second definitely needs to fix things up in terms of story approach. Seriously, the shit is not just riddled with poor writing, but corny dialogue, VA and horrendous pacing issue. While towns and overworld design was fine, the dungeons are also extremely forgettable and frankly, boring to explore.

TaiKH92

Banned
5mt.gif

Wait...is that game he's kicking FFXIII?

Xilium

I didn't find either to be especially great games so this honestly doesn't mean much to me (I actually finished LR though, for what it's worth).

Taruranto

A mediocre RPG with a terrible second half outselling a mediocre RPG with sequel fatigue. Sad.

I don't think I'm supposed to be impressed by this.

Hey now, you are not supposed to talk about BD terrible second half, not after all the importers and the reviews managed to hide it so well!

Toth

So again, where is the numbers to prove this statement? NPD still has LR at the 8th spot and BD at 10th. We need to see LR's digital sales as well.

lol at that gif
anyway good for Bravely Default, hopefully for the sequel they fix that awful repetition in the 2nd half* because that took the game down from great to just merely good

*more like last 1/4 in gameplay time, but w/e

Yep. Did not care for BD's combat whatsoever. Wouldn't go as far as to say I hated it, but it's whatever. It's perfectly serviceable, but not the type of combat I would want for it to go with the game's amazing job system.

Mhm. The second half of BD really highlighted how much I don't care about the very lore/story progression because the game's presentation/how characters interact with each other doesn't impress me or engages me enough to care. If anything Bravely Default, while clever, comes off as a farce than something I should take seriously,

LR has this same issue in which the combat is servicable/great but the story is pretty bunk. So in the end it's a big 'meh' for me.

I would like to see both of these battle systems improved greatly though.

I thought you were cool man

:(

I think the way they see it, all these western publishers have done nothing but re-use assets and make yearly sequels for every game so why not do that with Final Fantasy 13?

They dont understand that the Final Fantasy base wants new mainline games with no characters and new worlds. To Square Enix's credit they did a good job of making each 13 game different, most sequels are just more of the same, Lightning Returns revamped the combat system and made it an action RPG and introduced a time mechanic, 13-2 had open worlds and a monster capture system, those are some pretty big changes, but not what we want.

Yea the battle system were great and yea you make sense. but i hope square learns just dont give us what we dont want

P90

I didn't find either to be especially great games so this honestly doesn't mean much to me (I actually finished LR though, for what it's worth).

I think it boils down to mrgrgr >>savioress, not necessarily that either game is a "classic".

Tohsaka

I bought and enjoyed both games; they both have flaws, however. BD has really awful pacing, and Lightning Returns had far too many side quests compared to actual story content, among other things.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I feel like the only lesson Square will take from this is "home consoles are declining".

ah nice, i haven't bought the game due to laziness and school but i will pick it up soon :D

its ok lightning, you'll get a W soon enough............L's for life :p

Falk

that puzzling face
Re: Possibility of Bravely Second localization wasn't that already a given? Or am I being daft?

Ridley327

So again, where is the numbers to prove this statement? NPD still has LR at the 8th spot and BD at 10th. We need to see LR's digital sales as well.

Considering that LR was available digitally on just the PS3, and it came in 10th place on the February PS3 bestsellers list, behind other brand-spanking new games like Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, LA Noire, and Midnight Club LA, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the digital sales added a rather insubstantial amount to the running tally for the game.

At least some DLC did better than year-old map packs for Call of Duty!

Toth

It's funny how everyone was happy LR was at 8th in the NPD and now it's a bomb because BD had good digital sales. People are way too invested in hating SE.

Falk

that puzzling face
Considering Square passed on localizing the first it's still not a given.

Ah, makes sense. Was under the (questionable) assumption that the secret ending/trailer/whatever being put into the Western release meant they had plans. I guess it's more futureproofing than anything concrete though.

Silky

Banned
It's funny how everyone was happy LR was at 8th in the NPD and now it's a bomb because BD had good digital sales. People are way too invested in hating SE.

People are way too invested in hating Lightning.

for some reason

I haven't played LR, but as far as Bravely Default goes, i wouldn't be that happy either. That second half could be the most lazy shit ever seen on a JRPG, that kind of makes the game a chore, makes the world seem small and fatigues every character safe for a few that seem to think rationally, but not enough...

Whatever, just give us FFXV and KH3. (and a TWEWY2).

Bravely Default had a pretty big let down of a second half, though the finale(s) were pretty awesome. I can't wait for Bravely Second.

I hope we eventually get Dragon Quest VII 3DS

KoopaTheCasual

you'd think they got the hint after xiii-2
expect
Lightning in FFXV
Toriyama+Watanabe on FFXVI
I still don't understand how Watanabe still has a job. Looking at his credits, every story he touches immediately turns to a convoluted mess. I'm not even exaggerating, Wiki him! Ever wonder why Kingdom Hearts story jumped the shark from 2 onward? Why anything Lightning related makes no sense? Why Front Mission Evolved story was ughh?

Everything he touched has serious story issues. Dude is a hack.

jimmypython

BDFF is the perfect FF experience in years beside FF14ARR. The only thing that can be improved in the sequel is
city scale and exploration

Kasumin

The vitriol and outright spite have always baffled me. I don't agree with a lot of what Square Enix does and I miss the days of Squaresoft, but I can't really hate a company. It's a large entity with tons of people making the decisions. Just doesn't seem like it really does much for me to hate them.

I am glad to hear that BDFF technically did better than Lightning Returns, though. I platinumed XIII and XIII-2 and just did not agree with the changes they made to LR. Plus, the more they interviewed Toriyama, the more I want to not have anything to do with a game he directs. Dislike Toriyama, but there's still plenty of people at Square that I think are great.

Shame. I really enjoyed LR. Funnest of the trilogy IMO, so it sucks that it isn't doing all too hot.

Haven't played BD (I hear the pacing and writing are rather blah, and I'm not keen on the battle system), but it's always nice to see a JRPG doing well.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
and why should you speedrun chapters of a game in a normal playthrough? Just delete 5 and 6 and make 7 and 8 a bit more interesting, and that's it.

I doubt anyone would really disagree. It's a game better off being shorter and going out with bang than some of the stupidest artificial lengthening I've seen.

Bravely Default wasn't a great game. But maybe now the sequel can get the budget to actually release a finished product that doesn't feel like it was slapped together in a rush.

Top Bottom