• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default review thread (Europe version)

Santiako

As a Euro that has to suffer from every European release date and astronomical pricing, I say to every NA gaffer complaining: shut the fuck up. :)

Soriku

The inspiration from the historical Final Fantasy games branded Nobuo Uematsu is pretty evident.

Basically, the ost gives Uematsu vibes. Which is awesome.

Soundtrack doesn't sound anything like Uematsu, but if they just mean "AWESOME SOUNDTRACK" then yeah, I agree.

Crispy

Oh no, this is coming in a week and I want to finish Zelda before I start Bravely Default. :'( #firstworldproblems

Hasney

Oh no, this is coming in a week and I want to finish Zelda before I start Bravely Default. :'( #firstworldproblems

I've got bloody Mario 3D World on the same day, not bought Zelda yet as I got a Vita with Teraway and a few other games and stupidly started a Persona 3 playthrough.

It's almost painful how many games I've got to get through! After the demo though, this might take precedence...

Phazon

Xs25Ck6.jpg

Ringabel wants to be the new Banderas. He still needs some practice.

royox

yeah, I already knew that... but sometimes Hard is too hard and Normal is way too easy, which is annoying. I just want a good challenge like we get with EO/SMT.

Normal is a challenge. Use the "Bravely" and "Default" commands wrong and even the random overworld combats will destroy you.

In the demo I was destroyed in my 1st combat. Equipment, job planning and a good strategy for every enemy is needed.

Tony91

Un'ultimo applauso va fatto alla colonna sonora, capace di alternare sapientemente splendide melodie orchestrate con pezzi al limite del metal, che si adattano perfettamente al ritmo del gioco. Anche in questo caso l'ispirazione ai Final Fantasy storici firmati Nobuo Uematsu è piuttosto evidente, ma questo non può che essere visto come un pregio.

Bravely Default arriverà nei negozi europei il prossimo 13 dicembre e non possiamo che consigliarvene l'acquisto, soprattutto se siete giocatori nostalgici e avete voglia di un JRPG molto simile ai vecchi Final Fantasy. In questo momento il 3DS sembra essere la console perfetta per il ritorno in grande stile dei JRPG, siano essi strategici come il supremo Fire Emblem: Awakening o questo affascinante viaggio nella tradizione chiamato Bravely Default.

A last applause has to be made for the soundtrack, capable of wisely choosing between splendid orchestrated melodies and metal tracks, which coherently fit to the rhytm of the game. At this point the inspiration led by the storic Final Fantasy chapters signed by Nobuo Uematsu is clear, but it's only a positive point.

Bravely Default will reach european shops on December 13th and we can only advise you to buy it, specially if you're nostalgic players and you want a kind-of old Final Fantasy JRPG. At this point in time the 3DS seems like the perfect console for a great JRPG comeback, no matter if they're strategic games like Fire Emblem: Awakening or old-school fascionating games like Bravely Default.

Feel free to add the translation for foreigners ;)

Lyonaz

I LOVED the demo, pre-ordered the game and happily awaits 6th of December.

Nintendo is absolutely killing it this Holiday! Zelda ALBW, SM3DW and Bravely Default in short succesion, 22nd, 29th and 6th, BRAVO Nintendo EU.

Normal is a challenge. Use the "Bravely" and "Default" commands wrong and even the random overworld combats will destroy you.

In the demo I was destroyed in my 1st combat. Equipment, job planning and a good strategy for every enemy is needed.

This makes me really happy.

Tony91

I LOVED the demo, pre-ordered the game and happily awaits 6th of December.

Nintendo is absolutely killing it this Holiday! Zelda ALBW, SM3DW and Bravely Default in short succesion, 22nd, 29th and 6th, BRAVO Nintendo EU.

I want it so freaking badly too, but I don't have the money, damn you Nintendo!

Software droughts here and there, and then they drop 3 GOTYs all at once, it's seriously annoying!

Kensuke

Short impressions:

It's a great game. I love job systems, so I was already predisposed to like this game. The brave points system really surprised me though, it's a great risk/reward system.

I'm exclusively playing it on hard and it's brutal. You have to use your brave points wisely if you want to survive. Every fight can be deadly. It feels like an old-school RPG, but without the necessity to grind.

25 hours in and I haven't explored the majority of the world yet. It's a huge game.

I tried to play the game in English first, but the voices struck me as terrible. I switched to Japanese and haven't looked back.

The microtransaction stuff is indeed useless. You can get up to 3 SP points, each point can be converted into what amounts to a free attack to the enemy with 1 character. You need tons of attacks to kill bosses though, you'd have to be an idiot to spend money on this. Still bad that SE included it.

Celine

Yawn, a Squaresoft JRPG in 2013 get very high votes: shock and awe.

I'm actually in shock and awe that mediocre SquareEnix can create a Squaresoft JRPG in these days

Asd202

I'm actually in shock and awe that mediocre SquareEnix can create a Squaresoft JRPG in these days

That's because it's not really SE made game. SE had some input, the producer is from SE but the game was by Silicon Studio.

Kensuke

It wasn't developed by Sqaure Enix. It's from Silicon Studio, the guys that made 3D Dot Game Heroes. That game was their impression of Zelda. Bravely Default is their impression of Final Fantasy.

kitsuneyo

It wasn't developed by Sqaure Enix. It's from Silicon Studio, the guys that made 3D Dot Game Heroes. That game was their impression of Zelda. Bravely Default is their impression of Final Fantasy.

That's just sad. SE is this massive company that seems to have completely forgotten how to make good games. They hire a presumably small team and finally make something decent.

krossj

Was shocked to get my first street passes for this and Soul Hackers at the weekend. Happy I got one extra villager before the game was released. Continued playing the demo again yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed customising the jobs and abilities and trying out different combinations in battle.

Excited for the full game.

Caronte

The demo is not balanced, I don't think that's representative of the game.

Shouldn't Eurogamer review say "Eurogamer IT"? They all give different scores.

Just preordered the LE. This and Dangan Ronpa launching the same month means I'm going to have to learn to play one handheld in each hand.

Zanasea

The inspiration from the historical Final Fantasy games branded Nobuo Uematsu is pretty evident.

Basically, the ost gives Uematsu vibes. Which is awesome.

Yeah except the arrangement/performance side is a hundred times more interesting. Also there are vibes from any JRPG soundtrack, some tracks are reminiscent of Shimomura (KH), Mitsuda (Celtic taste), Sakuraba (battle themes), Sakimoto (some strings & harp) etc. Basically a medley of everything that's good in JRPG music but with extreme refinement.

Thoraxes

Why don't we just give credit where credit is due, and let REVO be awesome on his own.

His style is totally different from those other guys, and in a good way. The recording budget helped, too.

Zanasea

His style is totally different from those other guys, and in a good way. The recording budget helped, too.

Nah, the nods to JRPG music are too obvious, but the Sound Horizon touch makes it so much more powerful indeed (especially without the goofy vocals)

You see the difference with Lightning Returns soundtrack for example, which doesn't sound JRPG at all (but still is awesome, budget helped there too.)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Revo and BD are intertwined now.
ibcFNgIcBIacIR.gif

Revo for BD2 or bust.

Well Revo did compose the new battle track for the superbosses just for this iteration so I think we are good. Sound Horizon is a pretty boss group. Motoi Sakuraba is even part of it.

@Glass Rebel: There is fixing something and trying too hard. I think SE achieved both in that regard. 750+ for quality assurance is a little much. I would probably think differently if I had a PC that could play ARR and if I could get past the subscription model. But alas I cannot since I am an older gamer who believes once I buy something then it belongs to me. With XIV I merely access a limited service. If I ever invested in it, it would have to be after GILGAMESH questline is out and about.

Kater

Banned
Good to hear that the full version follows in quality what I've seen in the demo. Makes me even more excited for the 6th December! :3

zroid

Banned
Oh shit I forgot this was coming out. Now I have a problem.
Zelda ALBW or Bravely Default. Why, why do the great games and consoles have to launch near Christmas?

No need to answer, I'm just venting.

I'll answer anyway :p

Get Bravely Default, even if Zelda is the better game. It needs your support a lot more.

Frodo

Why is Nintendo doing this to my wallet? At this rate I'll reach their fiscal year projections by myself.

STAHP IT, NINTENDOES!

2San

Do you need clairvoyance? That's what annoyed me with 4 heroes of light, while sometimes the game does indicate what you can expect a lot of the times you need clairvoyance or go there to actually know what you need. Which was especially annoying with party members and equip getting split.

Glass Rebel

Revo and BD are intertwined now.
ibcFNgIcBIacIR.gif

Revo for BD2 or bust.

Agreed. The soundtrack is incredible, especially the track he's performing in the gif.

Well Revo did compose the new battle track for the superbosses just for this iteration so I think we are good. Sound Horizon is a pretty boss group. Motoi Sakuraba is even part of it.

You mean the
4 Heroes of Light
bosses? Nice.

@Glass Rebel: There is fixing something and trying too hard. I think SE achieved both in that regard. 750+ for quality assurance is a little much. I would probably think differently if I had a PC that could play ARR and if I could get past the subscription model. But alas I cannot since I am an older gamer who believes once I buy something then it belongs to me. With XIV I merely access a limited service. If I ever invested in it, it would have to be after GILGAMESH questline is out and about.

Only time will tell whether it was worth it to save Final Fantasy X|V but I'm in the same position as you. As good as it might be, I can't commit to an MMORPG in the near future.

mclem

I actually didn't even make it through the process of buying the game since it features the cancer of the RPGs/JRPGs that is the first person perspective in battles. Which automatically turns any game into a shit-tier one. Its one of
my
gaming laws, haven't you heard?

I have to ask, although I'm terrified about the rabbit hole I might end up going down:

What about Phantasy Star 2? Third-person perspective but viewed from *behind* the characters?

Qd206Cu.jpg

Top Bottom