• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Break Blade (anime) is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this thread and its containing information at a random time. Is this for real? I thought the manga was rather decent. Going to give it a go.

1stStrike

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I found this thread and its containing information at a random time. Is this for real? I thought the manga was rather decent. Going to give it a go.

Yep, anime adaption is great too.

FUUUUUUU super cockblock teaser for episode 5. I'm tempted to read the manga now just to see what happens, heh. Awesome episode.

Delphine be beastin', Sigyn wanting Rygart's balls, Girghe pulling a fast one on everyone and going for the glory in the end.

Geneijin

donkey show said:
FUUUUUUU super cockblock teaser for episode 5. I'm tempted to read the manga now just to see what happens, heh. Awesome episode.
Read at your own discretion because it involves manga spoilers:
Looks to be an alternative ending than the manga because the massacre hinted in the preview does not happen at all. Anything can happen now.

Geneijin said:
Read at your own discretion because it involves manga spoilers:
Looks to be an alternative ending than the manga because the massacre hinted in the preview does not happen at all. Anything can happen now.
Yeah, just caught up to the last chapter released and things look to be
very different by the time Rygart gets to his village. Girghe was straight baller til his end though.

finished the second episode. I kinda feel that if Rygart told Zess of Hodr and Sigyn's fate, that might ease a little tension. they of course wouldnt stop fighting, but at least Zess would know that Hodr hasn't changed.

Deadly

Anime-only ending? Laaame. I was hoping they'd go the path of the Tsubasa OVA's where they released a story arc then took a break and release another later on.

I'm glad people point out anime here. Without it I would've never known it's existence. I went to Best Buy's anime section yesterday and it was hardly anything...it was all Funimation dubbed stuff. I didn't buy anything because it's all way cheaper on Amazon.

This anime seems interesting.

Geneijin

donkey show said:
Yeah, just caught up to the last chapter released and things look to be
very different by the time Rygart gets to his village. Girghe was straight baller til his end though.
It will be glorious (spoilers to those of you who haven't seen up to 4 yet). We can only hope
they'll animate that one fight Girge had against the Athens generals before he and the others got captured. It's my 2nd favorite fight behind Girge's ambush.

Geneijin said:
It will be glorious (spoilers to those of you who haven't seen up to 4 yet). We can only hope
they'll animate that one fight Girge had against the Athens generals before he and the others got captured. It's my 2nd favorite fight behind Girge's ambush.

Judging from that link, it looks like they just might.
I'd argue even with the possible difference in the outcome of the citizens from Rygart's town, all those snippets point in the direction of the anime following the manga.

finished episode 3. the beginning only solidify my thoughts about Zess's potential reaction. if Rygart told him Hodr and Sigyn would be exicuted, then maybe some of the violence could have been avoided.

Jex

Oh snap we've got an official thread. I might as well drop my love here as well then:

Break Blade 1: At least it has good mechanical animation and sweet fights.

On the other hand, the pacing isn't particularly good and the cinematography is kind of bleh.

None of those things are really a problem until we arrive at the characters, who strike a fatal blow to the property as a whole. They are extremely bland, written in the style of all bland characters from the 2000's. It's pretty hard to tell an interesting story with these folks. Oh snap high-school flashbacks, apparently still relevant when you're not even in Japan. Or even the same planet for all I know.

Don't get me started on 12 year-old girls with large breasts which are treated as fanservice. What the fuck guys. You could have left that out and at least I wouldn't have been offended.

Speaking of shit you can only find in modern anime productions:

handblush.jpg

Why is her hand blushing?

In short - I'll be watching more.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Your thread interested me. Read the whole manga until chapter 42 (how many are untranslated??) and saw the anime.

Very interesting, first mech story that I have read, lots of fan service (12 yo with big boobs, queen's chambers, transparent pijamas, bikinis, etc), although this is not Fairy Tail... Although the setting is incredibly dumb.

It's very annoying the time limit in the main robot dude, and I can't wait for the translations of the robot's commands, so they can unlock new functions and the dude can learn to pilot it correctly...

so I finished episode 4. I had a feeling that Sigyn was in love with Rygart. but that kinda makes the whole "queen for 4 years thing" pretty stupid. Hodr is a pretty understanding guy, I'm sure he will react very calmly to finding out Sigyn is in love with Rygart. hell I wouldn't be surprised if she already told him. and only six episodes sounds kinda short

yencid

From The Dust said:
so I finished episode 4. I had a feeling that Sigyn was in love with Rygart.
did you figure that out or by yourself? :p

the mumbling about the farm boy thing made it pretty clear.

and about the lenght... think of it like this, its 12 30 minute episodes.

ZoddGutts

yencid said:
did you figure that out or by yourself? :p

the mumbling about the farm boy thing made it pretty clear.

and about the lenght... think of it like this, its 12 30 minute episodes.

That and the fact she doesn't wear her wedding ring nor does she sleep in the same bed/room.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
shintoki said:
Oh Girge, You are the fiery red heat in my heart. Red Comet their asses to hell >_<!!!
I went ahead and read the Manga....

You can't do this to me, you just can't fucking do this to me.

Suairyu

Banned
Ugh.

So.

We have a 12 year old who looks 25.

And a 25 year old who looks 12.

The creator sure is giving you options for your legal and mental loopholes to sate pedophilic urges!

1stStrike

Banned
God damn. Just watched episode 4 and man that was some crazy shit. They always attach some fucked up Golem destroying device to the black golem lol. Also, Girghe is a total bad ass as has been noted.

Jex

Suairyu said:
Ugh.

So.

We have a 12 year old who looks 25.

And a 25 year old who looks 12.

The creator sure is giving you options for your legal and mental loopholes to sate pedophilic urges!
To be fair that's nothing new for anime.

Doesn't stop it being shitty of course.

Dynedom

Just watched episode 4 the other day.

Really enjoying this series. Haven't watched a true war-driven mecha anime in ages.

edit: Yeah, the whole inverted loli thing is really really awkward and unnecessary. But hey, you have to appeal to the mass-market somehow right?

X-Frame

Questions - how did Rygart get so good at piloting his golem in just a couple weeks vs soldiers who've been doing it for years? The golem has a mind of it's own and helps?

And lastly, why is this called Break Blade if in the titles and dialogue it's referred to as Broken Blade? Just the translation?

Jex

X-Frame said:
Questions - how did Rygart get so good at piloting his golem in just a couple weeks vs soldiers who've been doing it for years?
That happens in pretty much every mecha show ever, with a few exceptions.

Dynedom

X-Frame said:
Questions - how did Rygart get so good at piloting his golem in just a couple weeks vs soldiers who've been doing it for years? The golem has a mind of it's own and helps?

The naturally skilled pilot trope is present in this mecha anime just like most others. It's something you kinda have to just accept. He's still not perfect (you see him training a lot in the recent episode) but if it took him 1 year to develop, this would be a pretty boring series. =\

X-Frame

Yeah, but I guess I figured the golem would be doing most of the piloting. That's the direction the first couple episodes seemed to suggest, that it was moving on it's own and stuff.

1stStrike said:
Not yet, I will eventually. I have like 5 manga's queued.

Oh and thanks for the heads up.

Those that are following Break Blade - episode 4 is out in 1080P. GO GO GO

Thanks for the heads up! I haven't watched any of them past the first episode, but with tomorrow and Friday off, here's hoping to catch up with some episodes all day tomorrow. The animation seems really solid and fluid, definitely some great detail to the mechs.

Wes

venison crêpe
X-Frame said:
Questions - how did Rygart get so good at piloting his golem in just a couple weeks vs soldiers who've been doing it for years? The golem has a mind of it's own and helps

I suppose he did go to that academy (even if he couldn't do much) which would probably help somewhat.... *clutching at straws*

Suairyu

Banned
X-Frame said:
It has an autopilot that is constantly kicking in and out, like ABS on a sportscar. It's an assist. In the second (I think) episode, he temporarily disables it so he can pull off a move he knows the golem will try to autocorrect.

Jex

Suairyu said:
It has an autopilot that is constantly kicking in and out, like ABS on a sportscar. It's an assist. In the second (I think) episode, he temporarily disables it so he can pull off a move he knows the golem will try to autocorrect.
Autopilot is pretty sweet, practically no need to train soldiers.

Suairyu

Banned
Jexhius said:
Autopilot is pretty sweet, practically no need to train soldiers.
I think it's more a case of vastly superior technology with a simple interface means problems for small amounts of opponents. Like, I'm not trained in weapon fire, but give me a machine gun and I'll take down five master swordsmen pretty quickly.

It does help that the Queen keeps building him death armour with the instruction "just walk into people, retreat the moment it's not working anymore".

Up until episode 4 where he undertook actual training, was there anything he did that was overly impressive from a skill point of view that couldn't be explained away as auto-correct making it work? Certainly his frantic dodging has always been just that - scrambling away with the computer making it into a fluid and balanced movement.

But this show sure is no Escaflowne. The mech tech in that made actual sense how someone without training could instantly be awesome if they had an understanding about sword play. Autopilot does seem a tad Metal Gear nanomachines.

Jex

Dynedom said:
He's still not perfect (you see him training a lot in the recent episode) but if it took him 1 year to develop, this would be a pretty boring series. =\
Unless I see mecha doing push-ups, it's not real training.

Not that it matters in anime. The rule here is that if you train really hard, like, for ages you can be on the level of people who've presumably trained for years like in Kaleido Star or any other show where people need to get good at something fast.

Not that I think complaining about such a minor issue is really worth it considering that you'd have to ignore all the other problems to centre in on such a thing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Suairyu said:
The wait between episode 4 and 5 has been goddamn torturous.
I'm attempting to watch all 4 in 720/1080 soon so the wait will be less. Sounds good and I'm glad someone bumped this thread so I can find out about this.

Suairyu

Banned
From The Dust said:
it aint that bad. I just remembered it recently
It's the only animé I've watched in the last year. Once Monster finished, I didn't know where to go for my high-quality animé fix. Not that Break Blade is high quality in any sense other than production values, but the hour long episode format is a nice change.

Probably not going to find another series on Monster's level for a few years though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom