• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Breaking Bad" - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
24pxok0.jpg

Walt's back for another season of Breaking Bad on AMC. The new season starts this Sunday, March 8th, at 10pm on AMC. The strike shortened first season was a riveting drama with plenty of black comedy thrown in. Bryan Cranston won an Emmy for his portrayal of chemistry teacher turned drug kingpin Walt White. It also won an Emmy for editing and had a couple other nominations for cinematography and directing.

AMC is rerunning S1 on Friday night, so those of you wanting to catch up shouldn't have too much trouble. The first season was only 7 episodes. The DVD's of S1 are out now, as well.

Upcoming schedule:
Code:
Fri. Mar. 6	8:00 PM	AMC 	Pilot				#1.1
Fri. Mar. 6	9:00 PM	AMC 	Cat's in the Bag...		#1.2
Fri. Mar. 6	10:00 PM AMC 	...and the Bag's in the River	#1.3
Fri. Mar. 6	11:00 PM AMC 	Cancer Man			#1.4
Sat. Mar. 7	12:00 AM AMC 	Gray Matter			#1.5
Sat. Mar. 7	1:00 AM	AMC 	Crazy Handful of Nothin'	#1.6
Sat. Mar. 7	2:00 AM	AMC 	A No-Rough-Stuff Type Deal	#1.7
[B]Sun. Mar. 8	10:00 PM AMC 	Seven Thirty-Seven		#2.1[/B]

2w23iol.jpg

Reviews and interviews:

- Variety
After a strike-shortened first season, "Breaking Bad's" return approximates the mental state of its central character: The show appears chaotic, confused, in danger of careering out of control. Yet there's a guiding plan here, and a sense of uncertainty -- created by the hook of a protagonist with terminal cancer -- that keeps the series utterly compelling, since it's impossible to anticipate how the show intends to get from point A to the inevitability of point B. Season two is both grim and gritty, with the jarring feel of a Tarantino film -- and I inhaled the first three episodes like a junkie.

- Entertainment Weekly Review
Ultimately, Bad is a superlatively fresh metaphor for a middle-age crisis: It took cancer and lawbreaking to jolt Walt out of his suburban stupor, to experience life again—to take chances, risk danger, do things he didn't think himself capable of doing. None of this would work, of course, without Emmy winner Cranston's ferocious, funny selflessness as an actor. For all its bleakness and darkness, there's ?a glowing exhilaration about this series: It's a feel-good show about feeling really bad. A

- Contra Costa Times
Of course, this dramatic transformation all hinges on the impressive work of Cranston, who is proving that the Emmy upset he pulled off last fall was no fluke. With quiet magnetism, he goes from milquetoast family man to a fiercely determined man on a mission - earning our empathy in the process.

- Kansas City Star
“Breaking Bad” is not an easy show to watch. Besides the occasional gore and generally unrelenting tone, there’s the creeping realization that the lead character is turning into a midlife lowlife. That with every passing hour, the drug trade is pulling him into the primordial slime, and he’s helpless to resist, because the Faustian bargain, once struck, is nonrefundable.

- Esquire Interview

2iabl9g.jpg

Season 1 Recap:

- S1 One Minute Recap
- Episode Guides for S1
AMCtv said:
Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher, learns he has terminal lung cancer. Desperate to secure the financial future of his family – his wife Skyler is pregnant, his son Walter Jr. has cerebral palsy -- the 50-year-old leaves his second job at the car wash and teams up with a former student named Jesse to make and sell meth. "You know the business. I know the chemistry," he tells his new partner, who declares Walt "a damn artist" after sampling the first batch cooked in their Winnebago/mobile-drug-lab.

Jesse takes said sample to Krazy-8, cousin to Jesse’s recently busted drug-dealing partner Emilio. Emilio, out on bail and convinced Jesse ratted him out, sets up a double-cross. When a desert rendezvous with all four turns nasty, Walt creates a chemical explosion that leaves Emilio dead and Krazy-8 struggling to survive. Krazy-8 escapes only to have Walt recapture him then lock him to a pole in Jesse's basement.

Jesse and Walt then flip a coin to determine who'll dissolve Emilio's body in acid (Jesse’s job) and who’ll kill Krazy-8 (Walt’s job). Skyler, meanwhile, uses *69 to trace a suspicious call from Jesse. When Skyler asks who this is, Walt says that Jesse is his pot dealer.

Skyler visits Jesse to tell him to stop selling her husband marijuana. After she leaves, Jesse gets to work on disincorporating Emilio’s body. Because he ignores Walt's specific instructions to use a certain type of plastic container, opting instead to pour acid on Emilio in the bathtub, the acid completely eats through the tub, which collapses to the floor below leaving Walt and Jesse with a bloody mess to clean up.

At Walt's house, Skyler poses vague questions about marijuana to her sister Marie, who thinks they're discussing Walter Jr. Shortly thereafter, Marie persuades her husband, Hank, a DEA agent, to scare the boy straight. Marie is breaking the law herself, however, having stolen a pair of shoes from a store where she felt the sales clerk was ignoring her.

In another part of town, Jesse bolts from his house after Walt berates him for divulging personal information to Krazy-8. Walt says they have more work to do, but Jesse begs to differ: "Coin flip is sacred! Your job is waiting for you in the basement." A heart-to-heart with Walt leaves Krazy-8 confident that Walt will spare him, but when Walt realizes Krazy-8 is conning him, he strangles the dealer.

At a family barbecue, Walt reveals his illness to Marie, Hank, and Walter Jr. Walt balks at spending $5,000 to see a renowned oncologist. Walter Jr., frustrated by his dad's lack of emotion, blurts out, "Then why don't you just f---ing die?" Walt relents, using drug profits to pay the bill.

Jesse, haunted by recent events, flees to his parents' house. There, the maid discovers a joint. Jesse denies it's his, but his parents kick him out. As he leaves, his younger brother, Jake, thanks Jesse for not telling on him.

At a birthday party at his fancy home, Elliott, Walt’s Nobel-prize winning former colleague, offers Walt employment, saying his company provides excellent health insurance. Walt declines the offer, later accusing Skyler of putting Elliott up to it.

Jesse attempts to cook meth but can't match Walt's quality. At a family pow-wow about Walt’s cancer, Walt tells everyone, "All I have left is how I choose to approach" having cancer; he chooses not to have chemo. The next morning, though, he says he'll accept treatment and Elliott's help.

At a chemotherapy clinic, Walt tells Skyler he's taking Elliott's money but in fact, he’s using the drug-dealing profits. His chemo bills mounting, Walt tells Jesse they need to sell meth in bulk.

Having discovered a gas mask (labeled property of Walt’s high school) in the desert, Hank inventories the storage room of Walt's chemistry lab and concludes that "some meth monkey had a feeding frenzy" there.

Jesse finagles an interview with Tuco, Krazy-8's "badass" replacement as a distributor. Tuco loves Walt's meth but refuses to pay for it up front, beating up Jesse and swiping the meth. Walt returns to face down Tuco, deceiving him with what looks like meth, but which is actually an explosive compound Walt uses to demolish Tuco's office. "You got balls," Tuco allows, and they make a deal for more meth.

Jesse becomes outraged upon learning that Walt is doing business with Tuco. Things turn tenser still when Walt can't produce Tuco's meth order. Walt talks Tuco into a loan, albeit at high interest, so that he and Jesse can procure the proper supplies.

Walt tells Skyler he's going to a sweat lodge but instead heads to Jesse's house. He congratulates Jesse for scoring the supplies, though a key chemical is missing. Jesse knows thieves who can steal it, but they want ten grand. Walt suggests he and Jesse pinch it themselves.

Meanwhile, Skyler heads to a jewelry store to return a baby-sized diamond tiara Marie gave at her baby shower. When she approaches the owner with the gift she is apprehended and informed it was stolen. Faking labor pains, Skyler avoids arrest and confronts Marie, who is evasive.

Walt and Jesse pull off their heist and cook in Jesse's basement. At an auto junkyard, Walt delivers the new meth to Tuco, who is ecstatic about the results. When one of Tuco’s henchmen presumes to speak for him, Tuco viciously beats the guy to a pulp. Walt and Jesse look on in shock. Finishing up, Tuco laughs and tells Walt he'll see him next week.
2efma21.jpg

Other Links and Media
- Wikipedia
- IMDB
- Minisodes
- AMC's Official Site

I didn't realize this until I saw a clip on Morning Joe, but I TOTALLY know the dude who plays Jesse. I've been seeing him in commercials for years. Glad to see he got such a nice gig.

Costanza

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I didn't realize this until I saw a clip on Morning Joe, but I TOTALLY know the dude who plays Jesse. I've been seeing him in commercials for years. Glad to see he got such a nice gig.
He was also on Big Love.

7Th

I loved the way in which the show used moments of quietness to enhance the atmosphere. Here is hoping the second season delivers.

Nice gif. :lol

Couple more reviews from this afternoon.

The Canadian Press said:
"Breaking Bad" demonstrates the dramatic potential of ordinary people, and does it with extraordinary power. Savour Walt this season as he continues his slow but irresistible migration to the dark side.

"He doesn't have the skill set for that world," Cranston says. But you can't blame him for trying. He's one of us. This is why, more than ever, "Breaking Bad" keeps you hooked.
Newsday.com said:
BOTTOM LINE Comparison with Showtime's "Weeds" is justified (and pretty commonplace, too) but "Breaking Bad" is a far darker and more bleakly funny show; it's also a better one, with a compelling core mystery. Who is this shrouded, conflicted, strange man, Walter H. White? A brilliant, sensitive fellow? A loving (indeed, lascivious) husband? A stone-cold killer? Evil? Good? Each of them, and Cranston brings it all home. Meanwhile, what a supporting cast. There's a scene Sunday night between the two seasoned pros, Norris and Gunn, that's flat-out stunning. "Breaking Bad" is extraordinary, and if the rest of the season matches Sunday, an Emmy nomination for best drama seems certain.

GRADE A+

BigAT

Definitely one of my favorite shows, I was so excited when I saw it got picked up for a second (and this time a proper) season.

I'm excited as hell for Sunday.

More reviews!
Stephen King on EW.com said:
It's like watching No Country for Old Men crossbred with the malevolent spirit of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Thank God for basic cable, if it can produce programming as strange and compelling as this. Breaking Bad invites us into another world, just as The Shield and The Sopranos did, but Walt White could be a guy just down the block, the one who tried to teach the periodic table to your kids before he got sick... It could be right down the block too. That's exactly what makes it all so funny, so frightening, and so compelling. This is rich stuff.
NY Daily News said:
Bryan Cranston's Walter remains one of the best-played characters on television, and he's surrounded by a strong cast that, knowingly or unknowingly, plays off his desperation.
Show Patrol said:
That’s the beauty of “Breaking Bad”: It’s bleak and brutal, but it’s also darkly humorous. And if ever an actor earned his Emmy, Cranston did last year. With quiet magnetism, he exposes Walt’s complicated, conflicted psyche to viewers. Loving family man or stone-cold killer? Brilliant chemist or bumbling businessman? He’s all of these, and you’ll love him for it.
Denver Post said:
The chemistry of "Breaking Bad" is explosive: Dark comedy bubbles up from the tragedy, as Walt pushes into increasingly criminal endeavors. Like "Weeds," the stories may not always be credible, but they speak to a larger truth: How far would one go in protecting family, particularly when faced with imminent death? Cranston continues to concoct one of the most original characters in prime time.
Boston Globe said:
Emotionally, atmospherically, and morally, "Breaking Bad" is spellbinding. The returning AMC series, which won Bryan Cranston a best-actor Emmy last year, is a tensely crafted dystopian fairy tale set in the still, dry heat of New Mexico. You'll feel every anxious minute of this Southwestern drama pass, you'll inspect every clarion camera shot, you'll wince each time Cranston's well-meaning everyman stumbles further into crime and sociopathy.
SF Chronicle said:
The first three episodes of Season 2 that AMC sent out continue that level of achievement with no evident missteps. In fact, it looks as if Gilligan's bold vision for "Breaking Bad," now duly rewarded against all odds, has invigorated everyone involved in the project. You can sense its maturity and rising ambition in each episode.

It's time for a much bigger audience to find out what's cooking over at AMC.
Also, remember that there's a marathon of Season 1 tonight for anyone that wants to rewatch or catch up. Details in the OP.

This is pretty much the only thing I can watch after The Wire. The focus on drugs is incidental.

I just love that the dialog and, more-importantly, the motivation of the characters come from a very real place.

The worst thing for me when watching or reading something is to go "There's no way someone would do/say that."

Zoe

Yes! I was hoping for reruns since I missed the first run. Too bad i can't get it in HD ;_;

definitely one of the best television series of all time. only thing though it gets a little hokey here in there, like where walt blows up a piece of that dealer's place and walking away without a scratch. stuff like that kind of gets on my nerves but overall it's even better than a lot of HBO and Showtime original series

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Mindlog said:
What's this show about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Bad

Breaking Bad stars Bryan Cranston as Walter White, a struggling high school chemistry teacher with a handicapped teenage son (RJ Mitte) and pregnant wife (Anna Gunn). When the already tense White is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, he breaks down and turns to a life of crime, setting up a meth lab with his former student Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) in a desire to secure his family's future financial security.[1]

Breaking Bad has received critical acclaim and won two Emmy Awards for its first season in addition to numerous other awards and nominations.

its pretty damn good. you should check out the first season.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Awesome, season 1 was awesome especially towards the end, bring it on. This and Eastbound and Out will tide me over till Dexter or something else piques my interests.

Schrade

I am soooo ready for this show to start again. This was definitely a surprise for me when it first aired. I didn't think anything of it and didn't watch the pilot when it first aired. Then they kept repeating it so I caught it on a repeat... and it blew me away.

So damn awesome. Good adult entertainment.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Season One was so short but it is easily my third favorite show of all time after the Wire and Arrested Development and is ahead of Battlestar Galactica. I don't have cable either. Is this going to be on Hulu?

Costanza

Banned
I hate that this is the only show I watch that I can't get in HD. Has anyone heard anything about them putting it on the HD Showcase on demand channels like they do with Mad Men?

Cornballer said:
Metacritic is up with a review compilation. Currently sitting at an 85. Critics love S2 so far.

Yeah. I was already excited for tonight because of how much I loved season one. Seeing the positive reviews just makes me even more anxious to watch.

Sunday is such a good night for TV right now. Breaking Bad, Big Love, United States of Tara and Flight of the Conchords. My Tivo will be working overtime.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Costanza said:
I hate that this is the only show I watch that I can't get in HD. Has anyone heard anything about them putting it on the HD Showcase on demand channels like they do with Mad Men?

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I believe I watched the premiere on Time Warner's HD Showcase last year. Hopefully it goes up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom