• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I know. It isn't a terrible show.

Abusive relationship is a good term. I know the show isn't about friendship. It's a fucked up variant of it. I could be more clever, but it's the Odd Couple on meth.

It's about family. I really love how it's cleared the table and (hopefully) all of Walt's antagonists will be those closest to him. Gus was great, but now it's time to get to the real meat of things. Problems he can't eliminate without destroying everything and anything he has left.

Amir0x

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I know. It isn't a terrible show.

Abusive relationship is a good term. I know the show isn't about friendship. It's a fucked up variant of it. I could be more clever, but it's the Odd Couple on meth.

hey you know what else is similar to that analogy?

The fact that the Odd Lady kills the Odd Man at the end

Copernicus said:
I don't know, the whole kill two guys out in the desert from the pilot sorta showed it.

No he just did that in self-defense, totally warranted! Just like his, er, eight...nine...ten other some odd murders at this point?

I've lost count!

Salsa

The whole point of this entire episode was to finally show how much of an asshole Walt is, to shove it even more directly into your face than what this series has done so far. From the neighbor scene (wich to me was way more telling than the final revelation), to the poisoning Brock thing. I stand by what i said a week ago: we need to depart from Walt as a likeable character and realize what he really is. The series is doing that for us on purpose. He's a character that cant get away with shit, and he wont, because at this point he's pretty much a villain and karma's a bitch.

Amir0x said:
no apparently it's how annoying I am at being right that gets under the skin of the readers. Ah well, like I said, I've been waiting for an episode like this to end the argument once and for all and it delivered.

Even I didn't think Walt would really poison a kid, but he did... and there is no justification short of insanity.
But walt didn't kill the kid. No harm no foul (lol).

Dragon

Banned
So what's going to happen with the whole Benage plot point? Is it just given up since the dude died in that stupid way? I mean they didn't need to kill the dude, plot-wise, to get him out of the way. I feel like somehow that's going to come back to bite Walt. It'd be funny too because he had nothing to do with it at all.

macuser1of5 said:
But walt didn't kill the kid. No harm no foul (lol).

There is almost no humanity left in Walt. The way he manipulates his own kid to feel sorry for him while lying about what it's about, the way he's treated Skyler this whole season, his utter disregard for any peripheral people.

Jane is a moot point, as far as I'm concerned. The only relation she has to this situation is that Jesse views Andrea and Brock as a way to atone for Jane's death.

Jesse has no reason to suspect Walt in Jane's death, and Walt has no reason to confess to any involvement.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
NO UR WRONG!

The birthplace of who Walt is now? He wasn't a moral person prior to that event either. I'm arguing the fact that where the show is now, Brock and Jane mean squat. Jessie doesn't need direct examples to reveal what kind of person Walt is.
Of course he does. As far as Jesse knows, the only people Walt has killed were people that were trying to kill them.

Copernicus said:
I don't know, the whole attemp to kill two guys out in the desert from the pilot sorta showed it.

That's completely different. Killing someone who's threatening to kill you /= killing someone who might just fuck things up for you. It can't be said enough how important letting her die is to the present Walter White.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Holy shit what an ending. Now let's wait to see Jesse kill Walter in the final season
3AQmK.gif

On a side note: Does anyone knows what song is playing while Gus is entering casa tranquila?

dave is ok said:
First eight episodes of next season: Hank v. Walt
Last eight episodes of next season: Jesse v. Walt
I'm guessing it will be the opposite.

The first set of eps will have Jesse piecing together the truth while Hank digests the information likely to come from Gus's records.

Jesse figures out Walt and turns on him. The second half of the season is Hank pursuing Walt.

Just my guess, of course.

Great episode.

I really enjoyed how Gus was dealt with and the ensuing tied adjust. It wasn't hard for me to suspend belief as it works so well with his character that Gus would just straighten his tie as if nothing ever happened and then collapse, almost as if it was muscle memory.

RevDM

Banned

Sorry about the size, but check these out. The report said at least 3 people were dead, and we assumed it was Tyrus, Tio, and Gus. But check out the hole in the wall to the left, exactly where the old lady was sitting trying to get Walt's attention. Also notice the the vertical light strip to the right, that's the bathroom door. Which was closed at the beginning of the scene. The camera never breaks from Gus once he realizes the chair is rigged, giving Tyrus enough time to bolt into the bathroom.

Salsa

Guys: Tyrus is a shit character, he's a veichle, he has no dept whatsoever and was bound to die eventually. Why in the world would they keep him alive?

I mean, i get it that youre all on the THEORIES phase, and i always dig looking at stuff closely like that and BB is a show that sometimes encourages that, but there's no reason to keep Tyrus alive.

RevDM said:
http://i.imgur.com/KB7GK.jpg

Sorry about the size, but check these out. The report said at least 3 people were dead, and we assumed it was Tyrus, Tio, and Gus. But check out the hole in the wall to the left, exactly where the old lady was sitting trying to get Walt's attention. Also notice the the vertical light strip to the right, that's the bathroom door. Which was closed at the beginning of the scene. The camera never breaks from Gus once he realizes the chair is rigged, giving Tyrus enough time to bolt into the bathroom.
Tyrus is dead.

Dead dead dead dead dead.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jesse did break the "Won't Cook without Walt" code by cooking without Walt, and strung along the "I'll kill Gus" plan. This effectively put Walt into a corner. And what does a cold hearted bastard do when put into a corner?

By doing some really fucked up shit to get out of it.

Also, what's to come of the Goon that Gus told to wait in the car? Floating Henchman is still out there!

Salsa

TheBranca18 said:
Is there any reason for Mike to give a shit about Gus dying?

willing to bet there's some backstory to that relationship other than it being just business, even if its just a "respect" situation.

RobotNinjaHornets said:
I liked Tyrus, purely because he was such a huge dick to Walt. It amused me.

I liked him as well. Didnt wanna imply he was a bad character by calling him a "shit one", what i meant is what i said afterwards: he was a veichle, they needed someone to be with Walt in order to justify stuff that happened and didnt happened within the season. He served his purpose and now he's gone.

RevDM said:

Dude. Come on.

SalsaShark said:
willing to bet there's some backstory to that relationship other than it being just business

Still though I totally think he'll be willing to work with Walt and Jesse. I don't think he's going to be an antagonist. Gus killing Victor put that shred of doubt in his head.

Tyrus was an undercover DEA agent gone crooked, and was wearing flak-resistant body armor. He's fine and currently reporting to Hank (who is also crooked and wanted Gus' business empire for his own.

Viewt

I listened to an interview with Bryan Cranston last week (last Thursday's episode of WTF with Marc Maron for those of you interested - great show), and he talked a bit about Walt's character. He basically said something along the lines of, "the point of Breaking Bad is to show what appears to be a well-intentioned, good person going in the total opposite direction. Becoming a heartless criminal. 'Breaking bad.'"

He went on to talk about how Walt's not supposed to be a sympathetic character, and that we, as the audience, are supposed to be challenged with a protagonist who, at every turn, seems to be a shitty guy. But we're already invested at this point and have to reconcile the fact that, while we love Walt as a well-developed character, we're not supposed to relate to him, let alone like him.

I think there were points early on in the series where you could root for Walt to overcome the odds and pull through as a "good guy," but that time is over. He's an awful man and I love it. And I commend the show for being ballsy enough to pull that off.

Salsa

BenjaminBirdie said:
Still though I totally think he'll be willing to work with Walt and Jesse. I don't think he's going to be an antagonist. Gus killing Victor put that shred of doubt in his head.

I dont think there's gonna be an antagonist for that matter. Its all about a race for the truth now, and Walt escaping it. And that means both Jesse finding out/Hank on his ass.

Angry Fork

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK I just saw it. Damn that was amazing. Gus walking calmly and fixing his tie was incredibly retarded though, ruined a great scene.

As far as the arguments in this thread go, Amirox is completely right, but I personally don't care. It's still a TV show and I love rooting for characters like Walt. Maybe Walt knew that the berry thing wouldn't have killed the kid though? Anyway it's basically inevitable that he's going to suffer a monstrous greek tragedy and fall in the last season, I can't wait to see where Jesse ends up though. I'm inclined to think by the end of the series he's going to abandon it all and just hit the road with his girl + the kid.

edit - I completely forgot about Mike and was reminded on the last page. Imagine him waking up and finding out all this shit that's happened. Fuuuuck next season better be here next year.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
BenjaminBirdie said:

Still like the little bit of acting, where Mike's first reaction to Gus is to raise and point his gun at him. :lol

I got a tweet from a follower who said he half-expected Gus' empty eye socket to light up red like a Terminator and he'd just keep going. That'd be a cool direction for S5.

I'm very interested to see what happens to the meth production.

Both cartels have been destroyed, but the demand remains. Walt and Jesse no longer have the means to produce the blue stuff on a large scale.

Do they go back to producing small batches and sell it for a premium price? Or do they just abandon it altogether?

I'm hoping for the latter. The seeds for Walt's downfall have already been sown. There's really no need to devote a bunch of time to continued meth production.

Salsa

Gary Whitta said:
I got a tweet from a follower who said he half-expected Gus' empty eye socket to light up red like a Terminator and he'd just keep going. That'd be a cool direction for S5.

his eye socket did all sorts of motions, that was weird.

BertramCooper said:
I'm very interested to see what happens to the meth production.

Both cartels have been destroyed, but the demand remains. Walt and Jesse no longer have the means to produce the blue stuff on a large scale.

Do they go back to producing small batches and sell it for a premium price? Or do they just abandon it altogether?

I'm hoping for the latter. The seeds for Walt's downfall have already been sown. There's really no need to devote a bunch of time to continued meth production.

shit's done son. Its all about the clock now, and its ticking!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Interesting take by Amir0x. But I still think Walt is a good guy, who's just willing to go to the extreme to save his family. And I think he considers Jesse part of his family too.

Next season is either gonna be about Walt and the DEA or an introduction of a new villian like the twins?

Lonestar said:
Still like the little bit of acting, where Mike's first reaction to Gus is to raise and point his gun at him. :lol

LOVE that bit. His instinctual reaction is against Gus. And it's such a huge thing! To pull a gun on the Fringster!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom