• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

F#A#Oo

Banned
unrv5.gif

He did that in one take too...

Bad7667

Man its crazy to see how far Jesse has come since the beginning. I've been rewatching season 2 and the episode titled "Peekaboo", the opening scene has Jesse waiting for Pete. He sees a bug on the ground and lets it crawl on his hand for a bit, and after it crawls off he smiles. Then Pete comes up and just kills it and Jesse looks at him with this look like, "Why did you do that"?.

That scene makes me feel like Jesse had an appreciation for life, but unlike most people, he appreciated even the most basic forms of it.

Do you guys agree or am I reading into it to much?

Vlad

Man its crazy to see how far Jesse has come since the beginning. I've been rewatching season 2 and the episode titled "Peekaboo", the opening scene has Jesse waiting for Pete. He sees a bug on the ground and lets it crawl on his hand for a bit, and after it crawls off he smiles. Then Pete comes up and just kills it and Jesse looks at him with this look like, "Why did you do that"?.

That scene makes me feel like Jesse had an appreciation for life, but unlike most people, he appreciated even the most basic forms of it.

I think that's exactly what they were going for with that scene. It's one of those little non-verbal things that Breaking Bad does so well.

big ander

Sounds to me like you're reading it exactly as much as the creators wanted people to and as much as everyone did.

Holy shit.

Just finished watching Season 4 today. Probably the best TV show I've ever watched. The ending sequence surrounding Gus's death is still haunting me. The scene where he walks from his car towards his meeting with Hector was so perfectly done; the buildup, the music, the mood, everything aligned so beautifully.... I've rewatched that scene about 5 times in the last couple of hours and it hits me hard every. single. time.

I'd be perfectly content if the show ended with S4, but at the same time I hunger for more. It's gonna be a long wait for Season 5...

big ander

Holy shit.

Just finished watching Season 4 today. Probably the best TV show I've ever watched. The ending sequence surrounding Gus's death is still haunting me. The scene where he walks from his car towards his meeting with Hector was so perfectly done; the buildup, the music, the mood, everything aligned so beautifully.... I've rewatched that scene about 5 times in the last couple of hours and it hits me hard every. single. time.

I'd be perfectly content if the show ended with S4, but at the same time I hunger for more. It's gonna be a long wait for Season 5...

I think season 4 had an extremely satisfying ending, but I can't see being content with the series ending there. So much is left open and several stories are in flux.

Hoplatee

The ending scene of 'One Minute' must be up there with one of the most tense things ever shown in a tv show. Watched it today with 2 newcomers and it was fun to watch them instead of what was going on on the screen. Great stuff.

Going to be fun when we reach the ending scene(s) of Crawl Space. That stuff did even disturb me. Cranston is so good in there.

I just finished the 4th episode in season 4 and Skylar and Jesse frustrate me so bad. I wish it were those 2 who
Walt runs over in his car towards the end of season 3 instead of those two gangsters.

big ander

I just finished the 4th episode in season 4 and Skylar and Jesse frustrate me so bad. I wish it were those 2 who
Walt runs over in his car towards the end of season 3 instead of those two gangsters.

jesse is one of the best characters in fiction, does him having actual emotions like regret bother you

A few thoughts on S5 from a Gilligan interview at the WGA awards:
TVLine said:
Breaking Bad Boss Talks Final Season

Though he may have seemed on top of the world as Season 4 drew to a close, Breaking Bad‘s Walter White will only get badder as the AMC drama’s final run of 16 episodes gets underway this summer.

First, a quick refresher on where things left off: Walt (played by Bryan Cranston) conspired with Tio Salamanca, with whom he shared a common enemy, to draw the “chicken man” out of hiding and to the Casa Tranquila nursing home. But what awaited Gus Fring there was not a mute rat who had just snitched to the DEA, but Tio in a wheelchair wired to explode — and boom it did go, leaving Gus with half a face and then complete death.

“I won,” Walt reported home to wife Skyler. But at what cost? Moments later, the closing scene revealed that it was Walt who used the toxic Lily of the Valley to poison wee Brock, thus forcing cohort Jesse’s hand into allying against Gus anew.

Though some were shocked to see Walt go so far as to jeopardize a kid’s life in the name of his endgame, it was but one example of the antihero “getting worse by the minute,” as series creator Vince Gilligan puts it.

Heading into the fifth, final and extended 16-episode season later this year, “We are following the same thread that we’ve been following for four seasons now,” Gilligan told TVLine at this weekend’s Writers Guild Awards, where Breaking Bad grabbed two top prizes. “We are essentially taking a good guy protagonist and turning him into a bad guy. Walter White still has a little further to go down that dark path that he’s very willfully put himself on.”

But why stick to such a path at all? Walt has vanquished the superlab boss who oft wished him dead, regained Jesse’s loyalty and long ago established himself as a premiere meth cook. Why not just cut bait, having come thisclose to arrest and/or death, and pursue a life of normalcy?

“That’s a good question,” Gilligan affirms. “Does Walt do what he does for the good of his family, or are there other reasons that he does the things he does? On some level, is it ego and self-aggrandizement? Does he feel good about the things he’s doing? Does he feel powerful? Those are the questions I think one has to ask one’s self when they question whether or not he should cut bait.”

Another question facing Breaking Bad‘s swan song — which, some speculate, will be split into two batches — is the matter of who or what will replace Gus Fring as a formidable obstacle to Walt getting whatever it is that he wants.

Noting that Gus was a “wonderful character” played by “a wonderful actor” in Giancarlo Esposito, Gilligan acknowledges that the dapper don’s memorable demise “leaves a big void, and hopefully we fill it with Walter White and a few other characters perhaps.

“It’ll be different, but hopefully, just as interesting,” Gilligan adds. “You’re right, though – those are big shoes to fill.”

Also, congratulations to Vince Gilligan and his staff for winning the WGA awards for Best Television Drama Series and the Episodic Drama Award for "Box Cutter".

2pGJg.jpg

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
He just hyped me up more the inevitable Walter White vs. Jesse feud that's coming.

Lirlond

I won.

Just finished watching this about a week ago. Man, this show is just amazing. I can't believe I missed out on it for so long. It must have been murder to watch the season 1 and 3 endings in real time though, such massive teases haha

shamanick

I didn't think Box Cutter was all that special compared to the second half of the season.

A lot of people didn't like Box Cutter at the time it came out either. I personally loved it, I felt that the dramatic tension was incredibly high throughout and the pivotal scene was executed perfectly.

Just finished watching this.

Great show. One of my favourites for sure.

I was surprised when I saw that a final season was happening, because a friend told me this morning that the fourth season was the last one.

That's way better than the real one, as it's fully fleshed out. The real intro is so out of place and the music doesn't fit with the rest of the show's music any more.
I wish they'd just get rid of it altogether. It has a cheap feel to it, and the music certainly doesn't help.

But the show is known for its memorable cold opens, so it's hard to imagine it without that shitty intro :p

GavinGT

Banned
I wish they'd just get rid of it altogether. It has a cheap feel to it, and the music certainly doesn't help.

But the show is known for its memorable cold opens, so it's hard to imagine it without that shitty intro :p

It seems so obvious that the music was composed before they had really nailed down the feel of the show.

Anyone remember this awkward pan flute composition from the pilot and how out of place it felt?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPWoX4EtULU&t=2m15s

The last few notes are particularly painful....

Holy shit. They're doing at least a scene in
german? Madrigal Electromotive is based in germany. Mike is of german descent....
oh maaaaan.

So they are indeed introducing
Gus's bosses as the new villains.
Awesome.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm very happy to hear that they're gonna reveal more
about Madrigal Electromotive (the company is based in Germany, and Hank briefly dealt with them this past season). They've had a subtle presence around the previous two seasons, so it's great to finally learn more about them.

But at the same,
I feel like they've already done the 'kill important guy, face the repercussions from a greater group' plot line.
Though I'm sure they're gonna do something to spice things up a bit.

But at the same,
I feel like they've already done the 'kill important guy, face the repercussions from a greater group' plot line.
Though I'm sure they're gonna do something to spice things up a bit.

Maybe this time,
they won't make the same mistake of underestimating Walt like everyone else did

I NEED TO STOP READING SPOILERS.

For Season 4, I had Victor's death ruined, I knew we'd meet Max in a flashback, I knew Gus would go back to Mexico, I knew Jesse would get tazered by Gus' people during the finale, I knew Walt would try to blow Gus' car up, then I knew he would actually die, and that Walt poisoned Brock. All because of spoilers :( I think it might be why S3 > S4 for me, as I didn't have as many 'holy shit' moments...

Fry

I only spoiled myself once, from the entire show, and it was of course the Gus's death scene.

Are there spoilers from season five available already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom