• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5 interim thread - the series concludes Summer 2013 on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but that's bullshit. It isn't a strawman, people are getting called misogynists left and right because they might not like a character on a TV show. I said I didn't like her and immediately got lumped in with this group you guys have apparently been having this conversation with for the last six months. It's fucking ridiculous. And Mamba, lets be real, what's happened in this thread is the same thing that happens in PoliGaf when a conservative comes in. People label that person an idiot automatically without even considering their viewpoints.

Maybe one person or so did it, but I didn't notice. Most of us have given explicit reasons for the mysoginist claim. Numerous times I've explained what is a valid reason for disliking Skyler (she's boring, she's the one Walt can't overcome) but I'm sorry that some of us have called out what are clearly mysoginist arguments.

Calling Walt more reasonable that Skyler is objectively misogynist. The amount of hoop jumping to get to that conclusin is absurd (this isn't directed at you, I haven't seen you claim this).

Regarding poli-gaf, there's been decent discussion when someone comes in not trying to drive-by. As mentioned over there, the one real problem is that a conservative ends up getting replied to by 500 people. It's like the last woman on earth suddenly appearing in a bar.

I think it says something about the show, the writing of that character, and her acting ability that there isn't a lot more people who are in her corner rather than Walt's. There's almost a lack of empathy when it comes to that character that, it seems, most people here are labeling as misogynistic. Rather, I think a lot of people do not have empathy for her because of her actions. I think a lot of this was born from the fact that in the beginning of the show, we see Walt trying to find an alternate route in the broken medical system to get help and make sure his family is going to be okay. He was basically trying to figure out a way to not leave his family in financial ruin to pay for his treatment. While I don't sympathize with Walt as he is now, I certainly did when he was sick in the first season, as I've been in a similar situation and had some really crushing thoughts on what would be left for my family after I was gone. I'm still saddled with over 200k in medical bills currently that I'll never be able to pay off.

but Skyler already set that up. She solved that entire problem. Walt cooking has nothing to do with avoiding medical bills and never will be.

Gilligan has hammered this point through and through during the show. sorry to hear about your debt, btw.

The show could have, especially in the 4th and 5th season, given Skylar a turn like Jesse. Jesse is the moral center of the show and he's a junky, he's killed people and he's done horrible shit too. People empathize with what Walt has done to him but not so with Skylar, and I think that's due to the writing and the acting ability of the respective people playing their parts.

I think the show's flaw regarding Skyler is they didn't show the emotional toll on her enough until the last half-season and we saw stuff too much from Walt's perspective.

And I said this earlier, I think most people side with Walt because he is a badass who does cool shit and they are rooting for him and Skyler is the one who consistently stands in his way. I don't think most of the hate is mysoginist, but I do think it exists when people make absurd declarations about Skyler's character.

Skyler is about the most average middle-aged woman you'd find.

Frost_Ace

Hey folks, I just walked in the door. New thread will be up later today. Thanks for your patience - we're almost there!
breakingbad-ani1_500.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Exactly. They're guiding the story in a certain direction.

As per usual, MSZ has the hottest take:
[MILD SPOILERS]
http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/tv-review-breaking-bad.html

The good thing being on the right side morally is that we get to have even that much more enjoyment a.) understanding the show's actual intent b.) watching the decline of this monster getting just what he deserves c.) not having to explain why I'm supporting a child poisoning sociopath :)

Walt is such a great character. But he's a great character because he's a fucking horrific douchebag that deserves no cheers. I feel like we hit our monthly "point and laugh at Walt endorsers" conversation too. So we can start the show fresh!

Thriller

This is the first show which I had to pause several times to bring up the nerve to continue watching (Season 5 in this case). Im utterly afraid for what is coming..

I'm afraid that Walt will end up on death row somehow.

RELIGHT

Banned
Skyler is by far the worst part of this great show and anyone calling people misogynist for having that opinion needs to take several seats. Get a grip.

Angry Fork

Anyone else dislike the sequence where prisoners get murdered at the end of the first half? I mean it wasn't badly done or anything it just felt too cliche for this show. I feel like I've seen it before in plenty other crime films/TV shows where someone on the outside orders a hit on people on the inside. I felt like it was unnecessary, we already knew Walt was kingpin baller guy, that scene just makes it too obvious/on the nose.

Nameless

The good thing being on the right side morally is that we get to have even that much more enjoyment a.) understanding the show's actual intent b.) watching the decline of this monster getting just what he deserves c.) not having to explain why I'm supporting a child poisoning sociopath :)

Walt is such a great character. But he's a great character because he's a fucking horrific douchebag that deserves no cheers. I feel like we hit our monthly "point and laugh at Walt endorsers" conversation too. So we can start the show fresh!

The only thing Walt deserves is for the last shot of the series to be of him and Lydia sipping margaritas on the shores of a non-extradition country.

Seriously, though, do you really believe be that Walt supporters don't understand the show? Suspending moral judgement at the behest of entertainment doesn't imply not understanding how morals work.

Bigfoot

Skyler is by far the worst part of this great show and anyone calling people misogynist for having that opinion needs to take several seats. Get a grip.
This. Thank you! Of course it is never going to end.

Also calling people sociopaths for being #TeamWalt is also ridiculous.

Breaking Bad Season 5B: The Final Season |OT| - Thread of Misogynists and Sociopaths

Wilbur

Banned
Anyone else dislike the sequence where prisoners get murdered at the end of the first half? I mean it wasn't badly done or anything it just felt too cliche for this show. I feel like I've seen it before in plenty other crime films/TV shows where someone on the outside orders a hit on people on the inside. I felt like it was unnecessary, we already knew Walt was kingpin baller guy, that scene just makes it too obvious/on the nose.

Nah, it was brilliant. Ties up the hazard pay storyline, finishes off Mike's legacy, brilliant song and showed his depravity. I don't think its obvious. I think its necessary for the storyline.

MormaPope

Banned

Getting offended for people calling out bad opinions is complete bullshit. Most cases for Skyler being called the worst part of Breaking Bad are simplistic preferences at best, emotionally and mentally blind observations at worst.

"I want to have an opinion and not have it be questioned" is entitlement. Sorry.

Nah, it was brilliant. Ties up the hazard pay storyline, finishes off Mike's legacy, brilliant song and showed his depravity. I don't think its obvious. I think its necessary for the storyline.

It was also brisk and paced extremely well. Yeah, inmates getting murdered while inside happens all the time, but the brutality and execution of said murders is usually dull and predictable. Breaking Bad's version was excellent and didn't overstay it's welcome.

Amir0x

Banned
This. Thank you! Of course it is never going to end.

Also calling people sociopaths for being #TeamWalt is also ridiculous.

WALT is the sociopath. You're not a sociopath if you support Walt. You just support one.

As always, I await one compelling argument as to why Skyler is a bad character or that any aspect of her doesn't make sense given the environment. It's always good for entertaining an afternoon :D

MormaPope

Banned
WALT is the sociopath. You're not a sociopath if you support Walt. You just support one.

Naw dude Walt is the hero, he had cancer and he thought about his family. Walt Jr. would cry tears of joy over what his father has done to support living in a middle class home, Walt bought him a brand new car! Skyler is the villain because she doesn't give him victory BJ's.

Besides, how can the protagonist be bad or immoral while also having endearing or awesome traits? I can't think of any TV show where the protagonist isn't considered to be the good guy.

As always, I await one compelling argument as to why Skyler is a bad character or that any aspect of her doesn't make sense given the environment. It's always good for entertaining an afternoon :D

Put this in the 5.2 OP, Cornballer
:D

This has nothing do with Skyler, but speaking of Walt supporters, I think one of the funniest things I read in one of the Breaking Bad threads was when Puddles said that Walt poisoning Brock wasn't a big deal, because all he did was give him one bad weekend in the hospital.

Please tell me this paragraph is being served with a heaping mound of tongue-in-cheek sarcasm.

Please.

Breaking Bad Season 5B: The Final Season |OT| - Thread of Misogynists and Sociopaths

It must be done.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The only thing Walt deserves is for the last shot of the series to be of him and Lydia sipping margaritas on the shores of a non-extradition country.

Seriously, though, do you really believe be that Walt supporters don't understand the show? Suspending moral judgement at the behest of entertainment doesn't imply not understanding how morals work.
This. "Anti heroes, how do they work?"

That said, I am probably off team Walt.. We are near the end and I'm gonna cheer how he goes down.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Also, IF Walt goes down (sipping margaritas with Lydia sounds nice), I definitely don't want it to be Hank.

As much as I love the Hankster, Jesse deserves to be the one to end it. He was a large part of starting it all, it's only fitting that he put a cease to Walt's descent into madness and murder.

MormaPope

Banned
Walt displays sociopathic tendencies, sure, but stops well short of being a sociopath.

He uses Jesse as an ace in the hole or a tool to be brought out when needed. That's one tainted relationship Walt conjured. Sociopaths don't need to be serial killers or someone that murders for fun, Walt doesn't bat an eye when it comes to serving his interests or philosophies.

Walter succeeded a figure like Tony Soprano financially, and Walt is a kingpin for a operation he clawed and killed for. If you can agree on Tony Soprano being a sociopath, I'd say Walter fits the definition perfectly.

Rooting for a sociopath isn't even bad or wrong. I remain neutral on what outcome Walt could or should get, but it's not far fetched that he's about to experience a grand downfall.

This has nothing do with Skyler, but speaking of Walt supporters, I think one of the funniest things I read in one of the Breaking Bad threads was when Puddles said that Walt poisoning Brock wasn't a big deal, because all he did was give him one bad weekend in the hospital.

For some reason admitting to find pleasure or enjoyment from "immoral" things in life is taboo.

One of the best aspects of any great villain is his or her inevitable downfall, but don't take my word for it - I obviously don't even understand the show!

He uses Jesse as an ace in the hole or a tool to be brought out when needed. That's one tainted relationship Walt conjured. Sociopaths don't need to be serial killers or someone that murders for fun, Walt doesn't bat an eye when it comes to serving his interests or philosophies.

Walter succeeded a figure like Tony Soprano financially, and Walt is a kingpin for a operation he clawed and killed for. If you can agree on Tony Soprano being a sociopath, I'd say Walter fits the definition perfectly.

Rooting for a sociopath isn't even bad or wrong. I remain neutral on what outcome Walt could or should get, but it's not far fetched that he's about to experience a grand downfall.

For some reason admitting to find pleasure or enjoyment from "immoral" things in life is taboo.

Yeah I personally don't care, the humor I found in that situation was that simply referring to Brock's poisoning as a bad weekend in the hospital is a little understated.

If people find joy from immoral things, I don't care, if they were to say they'd do the same thing, I might care then, maybe, and this is coming from someone who thinks Walt is a monster.

Only a sociopath could have done that prison kill and shrugged it off the same night. Walt is one of the worst sociopaths i've seen on TV. At least Vic Mackey and Tony seemed to feel remorse for the things they did. The only time we see any kind of sympathetic character from Walt is when he is losing. The fact that he is a sociopath is why i find the skyler hatred so weird. Did people act this way with Carmella Soprano?

kingocfs

That said, I am probably off team Walt.. We are near the end and I'm gonna cheer how he goes down.

This. He was a great anti-hero, that is until he honestly convinced himself that he could "retire" and live a peaceful family life on top of his tremendous pile of drug money. That is some cowardly, ignorant shit. More ignorant than leaving the book in his fucking bathroom.

MormaPope

Banned
Only a sociopath could have done that prison kill and shrugged it off the same night. Walt is one of the worst sociopaths i've seen on TV. At least Vic Mackey and Tony seemed to feel remorse for the things they did.

Tony did show regret or rethink choices he made in the past, but season six of The Sopranos as a whole showed
Tony betting everything on living in a way that poisoned himself and those around him. Tony goes full super saiyan as far as not giving a shit about anything.

The Shield was awesome in that the way Vic gets more twisted and vile changes over time. It gets to the point where Vic
physically hunts down Shane's family and accepts killing a pregnant woman, not a far fetched idea when Shane's wife gets wholly involved with Strike Team dirt.

Did people act this way with Carmella Soprano?

Tony was honest with most of the business he conducted with Carmella, while being completely unfaithful when it comes to sexual relationships. I guess Tony being unfaithful made people more sympathetic towards Carmella.

Walter not sleeping around but lying and completely leaving Skyler in the dark makes people react differently I guess.

Kaladin

They are just NOT gonna give us any new footage, are they? And you know what, I'm perfectly alright with that.

edit: I'm calling it now, they're not going to do any "next week on Breaking Bad" promos this year either.

The promo for this season's Mad Men finale provided no new footage also. It's something AMC loves to do.

I always say it but I loved Carmella. I gave my TV virtual high fives when she laid the smackdown. She was more likeable than Skyler was back in the day though. I don't even care about her any more I just keep up the hate for the lulz now. I also cheered for Tony though. I just cheer for characters I like.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm happy with no new footage now until the actual premiere.

The
Hank driving with an angry face
promo was enough on its own for me, the others have just been nice filler as a reminder (as if I needed one) that the show is coming back.

Also I really want Walt Jr. to find out, I mean I imagine he will now but I want to see his reaction so bad. Intrigued as to whether he'd be impressed (which I imagine as very likely) or just shattered and tries to pull a Tony Soprano Jr. in the pool.

Carmella was a terrible character. She had her moments when she stood up to Tony, but, she was mostly willingly blind to Tonys crimes. Unlike Skyler, Carmella was fully aware of who Tony really was and what he was doing, and she purposely chose to ignore it, and associate with Tonys underlings.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Did people act this way with Carmella Soprano?

No for a variety of reasons.

Carmella was played by a better actress.

Carmella wasn't boring.

Carmella wasn't a hypocrite.

Carmella wasn't a coward.

Carmella didn't make EVERY single scene she is in worse.

I have been rooting for Skylar to die since season one, not because she is a "worse" person than Walt, but because she is by far the worst part of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom