• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Microsoft To Enable User-Created Xbox 360 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0l211

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10458

'Talking on the eve of its Gamefest event in Seattle, Microsoft has revealed XNA Game Studio Express, a new product which will allow indie developers and students to develop simultaneously on Xbox 360 and PC, and share their games to others in a new Xbox 360 'Creators Club'.

The details of the new tech are as follows: XNA Game Studio Express will be available for free to anyone with a Windows XP-based PC, and will provide them with what's described as "Microsoft's next-generation platform for game development." In addition, by joining a "creators club" for an annual subscription fee of $99, users will be able to build, test and share their games on Xbox 360, as well as access a wealth of materials to help speed the game development progress.'

bluemax

Banned
Sweet, I totally need to contact my professors about doing this for one of the gaming classes. Screw making a crappy PC game I wanna make a crappy 360 game!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I wonder how newbie friendly this is?

Edit: Doesn't this kinda blow open the doors for "...?"

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Witness as Live Arcade becomes diluted with 293048230948 piles of worthless shit coded by monkeys!

sp0rsk said:
Who wants to make a NeoGAF game?

I don't think most of us call it NeoGAF anymore. It has since reverted back to being called GAF in most of the posts I have seen here.

But a 2D RPG with lots of recognizable poster names would be killer.....

NSBrandon said:
Witness as Live Arcade becomes diluted with 293048230948 piles of worthless shit coded by monkeys!
Except that these games would have to be approved first for XBLA. The Club selection would be massive and filled with tons o' stuff, though.

Jonnyram

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I don't think most of us call it NeoGAF anymore. It has since reverted back to being called GAF in most of the posts I have seen here.
I demand that you make a game of your avatar.

NSBrandon said:
You mean like the PSP homebrew scene... oh wait.

arne

DopeyFish said:
Basically: learn C#

Actually, I heard the Torque stuff from GarageGames that is mentioned in the release makes things a lot more newbie friendly than just having to learn C#.

In addition, by joining a "creators club" for an annual subscription fee of $99, users will be able to build, test and share their games on Xbox 360, as well as access a wealth of materials to help speed the game development progress
So is the $99 annual fee for creating and sharing the game with others, or is it required to use what others have made?

JoshuaJSlone said:
So is the $99 annual fee for creating and sharing the game with others, or is it required to use what others have made?

This is kind of like that PS1 devkit you could buy back in the day, but...usable?

DSN2K

heh remember Microsoft's comments about trying to bridge the Mod community on PC's to Xbox...

guess this is there shot at it. :)

jgkspsx

Whoa, I might be getting a 360 this year after all!

Microsoft inarguably has vision and infrastructure that other companies have lacked. It's a very exciting time for the industry.

NSBrandon said:

I'm pretty sure that the club will include a voting scale and a "best of" so the games will spread by word of mouth.

Or I hope they do something like that...

calder

I keep reading that release as meaning that while anyone can make a game if you get the Studio Express you have to be in the Creator's Club to both share your game and play other ppl's creations. Either way, a cool idea but more info would be nice.

GreekWolf

Just called up a couple buds of mine and told them the news. They asked, "when we can start?"

Already got lots of interesting ideas. heh heh

Speevy

Banned
Surely you don't have to pay $100 a year to play these games. What would be the point if you're just a gamer?

I see this being really popular. perfect for MS decreasing 360 losses and leading to some profit. So the games will still have to be approved heh. But i'd think they have to approve a good many to keep people interested.

jgkspsx

Doesn't matter how good the games that come out of this are (though there are bound to be flOw/seiklus/etc. level games or better), a major console company has opened console development to the masses. Not "cheap devkits", not "crippled development console", but actually making stripped-down professional development tools available to people for free, letting people run their games on their consoles and share them with others. That's epochal.

And as good as Microsoft devtools have gotten lately, I'm really looking forward to trying XNA Express :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom