• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Peru

I don't care much for big rankings, but this marks a new chapter in the Zelda franchise history, in any case.

Astral Dog

Just like MGSV for the Metal Gear Solid series.

gameplay wise i heard that game is very good, but everything else seems not up to standards of the series.

If you are talking story then i think this Zelda might be going for a minimalistic approach, but could still be very interesting, think like Metroid Prime or Dark Souls.

But its all speculation so far based on a few interviews, i remember Aonuma saying he wanted well made cutscenes so there is still a chance.

oti

Banned
gameplay wise i heard that game is very good, but everything else seems not up to standards of the series.

If you are talking story then i think this Zelda might be going for a minimalistic approach, but could still be very interesting, kinda like Metroid Prime or Dark Souls.

But its all speculation so far based on a few interviews, i remember Aonuma saying he wanted well made cutscenes so there is still a chance.

Skyward Sword was basically a Disney movie so a more subtle approach is pretty interesting.

Astral Dog

Skyward Sword had the best gameplay and the best story in the series, the latter by a country mile.

story? im not sure it was only slightly better than TP for me. the best are still OoT and WW for the way they are connected, treat their characters or handle their twists.

Skyward Sword has the world, the concepts and the designs but besides Zelda herself everything else is poorly written or very underdeveloped imo, a huge part of the game is just chasing Zelda, Ghirahim is an interesting villain but just a lackey in the end, Demise wich is supposedly one of the most important characters in the series barely appears. and Fi..is Fi.a gameplay device at best.

thats what i dont like of the "modern" Zelda stories, Nintendo gets the world and characters design right but it seems they just stop and dont want or know how to develop them further.

Maybe a new approach to storytelling will suit this game better.

edit: sorry i guess its still one of the better Zelda stories.

I really loved Skyward Sword and I think it's the most unfairly maligned Nintendo game in a long ass time. Maybe the most unfairly maligned Nintendo game of all time.

story? im not sure it was only slightly better than TP for me. the best are still OoT and WW for the way they are connected, treat their characters or handle their twists.

Skyward Sword has the world, the concepts and the designs but besides Zelda herself everything else is poorly written or very underdeveloped imo, a huge part of the game is just chasing Zelda, Ghirahim is an interesting villain but just a lackey in the end, Demise wich is supposedly one of the most important characters in the series barely appears. and Fi..is Fi.a gameplay device at best.

thats what i dont like of the "modern" Zelda stories, Nintendo gets the world and characters design right but it seems they just stop and dont want or know how to develop them further.

Agreed. I thought the story's premise was awesome, but the execution was pretty lacking.

120v

could be because i'm in the middle of Far Cry Primal but this game is looking very Far Cry-ish

not a bad thing by any means. just the way you go about attacking each enemy stronghold

Skyward Sword had the best gameplay and the best story in the series, the latter by a country mile.

Yeah, it had by far the best story and it's not even close IMO. Also amazing gameplay, music, art, environments, some of the best dungeons in the series... yup it's pretty great. Flaws? A few, but I guess I just wasn't terribly bothered by them. They were basically things that, if I complained about them as much as some people do, I'd probably just fucking hate videogames.

But really, I love most of the Zelda games. It's my favorite gaming franchise for a reason. Only ones I don't really love are some of the handheld ones like Phantom Hourglass.

TheMoon

I really loved Skyward Sword and I think it's the most unfairly maligned Nintendo game in a long ass time. Maybe the most unfairly maligned Nintendo game of all time.

The game was well received. If you wanna talk about unfairly maligned Nintendo games you need to talk about other ones. games that actually got shit or snubbed on while being incredibly high quality. SS is just another Zelda game people love arguing about. Like all the other ones which are all the best and worst thing ever at the same time.

yep, that's got to be it. you cracked the code, sir.

What I'm saying is that to me personally most of the nitpicking is dramatic, and if I complained about things like that I'd probably complain about things in every game I play to the point where I'd probably just not ever enjoy myself that much. There's a lot of games I love that are problematic, but I don't dwell as long as it's good overall. I get some of the minor annoyances, I do, I share the same feeling about some of its issues, but in general I find it to be a terrific game where the good dramatically outweighs the bad.

TheMoon

What I'm saying is that to me personally most of the nitpicking is dramatic, and if I complained about things like that I'd probably complain about things in every game I play to the point where I'd probably just not ever enjoy myself that much. There's a lot of games I love that are problematic, but I don't dwell as long as it's good overall. I get some of the minor annoyances, I do, I share the same feeling about some of its issues, but in general I find it to be a terrific game where the good dramatically outweighs the bad.

I think we're fairly alike on the matter since I find myself at odds a lot with people going in hard on a game - whatever it may be. There's very few games that actually are as offensively bad or terrible or whatever as people like to claim every other game to be that they didn't immediately love to bits. :)

it's crazy how, to TheMoon's point, how very divisive each entry into the series these games are.

I feel like I'm almost completely backwards in my experience with the series compared to what sometimes feels like the majority. I consider Skyward Sword to be one of the best, if not like... really, really close to being the best. The only thing that really gets in the way is my nostalgia for A Link to the Past. I love that game, but if I'm being honest and objective, I'd probably say Skyward is the superior game.

Another point is Majora's Mask. I just have such a hard time liking it. I've tried so many times and I do see why others love it from its atmosphere to it being risky and different, but Zelda is, to me, more of a chill kind of game. While it's not hard to tend to the time mechanic, it's still too high maintenance for me and I find some of the game to be just a little too convoluted. I would say it's a really good game objectively, but my personal preferences clash with some of its design philosophies.

Wind Waker... great game, charming, dungeons were too few and bland, bosses were kinda shitty aside from the last, etc. Prison stealth stuff wasn't good for me. The HD version however made the game better and addressed a few issues I had with it, so I like it now more than originally. Revisiting Twilight Princess actually sunk my opinion a bit; when I first played through it I was enamored with it and while I still think it's mostly great, there is way too much padding, far more than Skyward. To me. I guess it's mostly because I actually enjoyed much of the "padding" in Skyward while, replaying Twilight HD, I found myself having to slog through a lot of it. Ocarina of Time, just fantastic, very well balanced, have few if any real nitpicks.

well right there was a lot of random thoughts, carry on.

I think we're fairly alike on the matter since I find myself at odds a lot with people going in hard on a game - whatever it may be. There's very few games that actually are as offensively bad or terrible or whatever as people like to claim every other game to be that they didn't immediately love to bits. :)

Yeah. While trying to respect opinions I sometimes just feel like I played a different game. One of my friends who I grew up with and is really good at games had trouble flying the fucking bird and called it quits. It blows my mind.

The game was well received. If you wanna talk about unfairly maligned Nintendo games you need to talk about other ones. games that actually got shit or snubbed on while being incredibly high quality. SS is just another Zelda game people love arguing about. Like all the other ones which are all the best and worst thing ever at the same time.

I should have said 'amongst gamers', although I think it's pretty obvious that I wasn't talking about critical reception

considering I'm talking about a Zelda game. Zelda games tend not to review too poorly even when they're complete dogshit

TheMoon

I should have said 'amongst gamers', although I think it's pretty obvious that I wasn't talking about critical reception

considering I'm talking about a Zelda game. Zelda games tend not to review too poorly even when they're complete dogshit

you linked to the wrong game there.

I am over the moon hyped for Breath of the Wild. It releases 30 years after Zelda 1 and my hope is it taps into what made that game so great (my hope is that it is , in a way, a re-imagining of zelda 1)

hey hey hey since when is this a competition!!

This is going to be the greatest Zelda of all time, isn't it?

Nah, that'll be Skyward Sword.

Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game to date good sir!

Guys, guys. We all know that the definitive list of best Zelda games is A Link to the Past, followed by Wind Waker, followed by the original Zelda. Everything else is fighting over the scraps.

Seriously, though, it's Zelda. Every game in the franchise is awesome.

Well, except maybe Phantom Hourglass :/

Since there is a button to throw your weapon, imagine if you threw the master sword and it worked like a boomerang since it would strange to throw it away

sinxtanx

Since there is a button to throw your weapon, imagine if you threw the master sword and it worked like a boomerang since it would strange to throw it away

what if you threw a boomerang and it worked like a boomerang?

throws for the Master Sword should shoot laser beams, I figure

Is Spirit Tracks actually worse?

Spirit Tracks is the better of the two DS games. It actually has some redeeming qualities, whereas Phantom Hourglass felt like a watered down iOS knock off that has no right standing in the lineup of handheld Zeldas alongside Awakening, Between Worlds, and the Oracle games. I may still be bitter.

... I will admit I got farther in it than I got in Skyward Sword, though. I didn't hate Skyward Sword but I felt that what I like most about Zelda games was gone. There was little exploration, few towns, fairly linear progression. Story was fine but didn't keep me invested. I didn't get far enough to hate on it, but it's the only 3D console Zelda I never beat. Then again I'm a weird Zelda fan that doesn't like dungeons and dungeons seemed like pretty much the whole game.

My only concern about Wild is the thus far lack of towns, but they've assured us they exist so I'm not super worried.

Top Bottom