• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

boxter432

I love that TLG, this and Horizon all exist. all different takes on the genre with various mixing of puzzles, combat, exploration, graphics etc... really cool.

Boney

Banned
Funny, Dragons Dogmas gameplay is far, and I mean faaaar, outclasses witchers 3s gameplay to the point you can have way more fun despite a more barren overworld. So it doesnt really matter if this zeldas overworld isn't top notch
I couldn't play more than 3 hours of dragon's dogma with the snooze fest combat system, but admittedly, I hate open world rpg's so it was going to be tough to win me over.

Bomb effect too *_*
0C6mcQS.gif

LOL, that bokoblin ragdoll flying off the horse made me laugh. Game looks like a lot of fun!

They just mentioned during the Nintendo Minute stream that Link has been asleep for 100 years.

Has this already been mentioned?

Yeah. It was mentioned in the stream at some point.

Heck, if I had to risk my life through a countless number of dungeons and then fight a giant pig-man, I'd sleep for as long as I could, too

Namikaze

So it's basically Ghibli X Zelda, amazing. Was the trailer most likely from the Wii U version? The NX version will probably look even better, can't wait.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Meh.

Looks like its almost there, but the hardware is really holding it back..

It looks rough, and I see the style its going for, but it can't quite achieve it.

LoD is simply too sparse, and aggressive.

Hopefully the NX is decently powered, considering its launching right before a 6 teraflop console.

Chaos17

For all the negative buzz that some people have attempted to generate regarding the lack of apparent things to do in this game, I'm just floored by the level of interactivity that this open world represents. I'm talking about the open world itself, and the fact that it's just packed with these little layered interactive elements that you usually don't see in games of this sort. It's one thing to compare this to Witcher 3, an amazing game with a brilliant sense of scope and an amazing story to tell - which has a fairly predictable gameplay loop that features an awesome amount of depth in its own right, tailored around questing and decision-making as opposed to straight up interaction with the world. I've never before seen an open world as malleable as this, as layered with bonafide gameplay mechanics... where I could set fire to a patch of grass, and then blast it with a gust of wind to make my own live fuse for a bomb, or use the updraft to create lift for higher jumps in platforming and combat scenarios. Or where I could see obstacles in my path, and simply punt them out of my way with a big magnet - or better yet, see an obstacle in my path like a ravine, and place my own damn bridge to get over it. Or where I could push a big boulder down a mountain specifically to crush the enemies below. Or where I could ski down a snowy mountain using my damn shield in order to build speed for a particularly long jump... etc. etc. it's one thing to compare these things superficially to other games, like "oh, game X had burning grass and world physics years ago", and it's another thing to see those kinds of features put to use in a game where they actually represent relevant gameplay mechanics that legit change the way I approach traversal through that world.

I agree with you.

A lot of games are been sold for their aesthetic alone until people play and say: "what kind of shit gameplay is that ?" or "The game been downgraded"

I will repeat it: Zelda Wii U is not the pretiest game of this E3 but it was really fun to watch, always a new thing to look foward to discover in term of gameplay. And that's what I like > have fun!
Like snowboarding on your shield, lol

jf8y45N.gif

Just have fun guys! No need to go into stupid game war.

Wedge7

Beautiful stuff. Loved the way the grass and how green and colorful everything looked. So peaceful and calm. Seeing some of those vistas as well, oh man oh man. This cant come soon enough.

redcrayon

This looks great to me, can't wait.

I think the art style will hold up well too, there's so many nice touches. Particularly impressed with the stylised bomb explosion, the horse and the burning/charred grass. It seems like a lot of thought has gone into making adventuring fluid and fun, with plenty of secrets to find and multiple ways to approach both combat and travel. Glide, ride, walk, climb, chop your own bridge. Grand stuff.

The sense of isolation and spotting ways to interact with the environment is what drew me to games like Zelda and Metroid in the first place. Im sure there are adventure games that will look better, but this seems very well rounded to me in terms of evolving a formula, art direction, animation, mechanics etc.

Smellycat

OH

MY

GOD

Just watched the trailer and the first 5 minutes of the demo. The game looks absolutely incredible.

I am calling it now
The fact that they stated the Temple of Time is sitting there in decay makes me think that you those blue towers are going to be used to restore Hyrule like those crystals in SS
, maybe I am wrong. But I am going on a blackout lol

Man that line is a super bummer. I figured that with Nintendo only bringing Zelda this year that there would be enough kiosks to go around, but I guess not.

For all the negative buzz that some people have attempted to generate regarding the lack of apparent things to do in this game, I'm just floored by the level of interactivity that this open world represents. I'm talking about the open world itself, and the fact that it's just packed with these little layered interactive elements that you usually don't see in games of this sort. It's one thing to compare this to Witcher 3, an amazing game with a brilliant sense of scope and an amazing story to tell - which has a fairly predictable gameplay loop that features an awesome amount of depth in its own right, tailored around questing and decision-making as opposed to straight up interaction with the world. I've never before seen an open world as malleable as this, as layered with bonafide gameplay mechanics... where I could set fire to a patch of grass, and then blast it with a gust of wind to make my own live fuse for a bomb, or use the updraft to create lift for higher jumps in platforming and combat scenarios. Or where I could see obstacles in my path, and simply punt them out of my way with a big magnet - or better yet, see an obstacle in my path like a ravine, and place my own damn bridge to get over it. Or where I could push a big boulder down a mountain specifically to crush the enemies below. Or where I could ski down a snowy mountain using my damn shield in order to build speed for a particularly long jump... etc. etc. it's one thing to compare these things superficially to other games, like "oh, game X had burning grass and world physics years ago", and it's another thing to see those kinds of features put to use in a game where they actually represent relevant gameplay mechanics that legit change the way I approach traversal through that world.
Boy you nailed that shit

Plum

Man that line is a super bummer. I figured that with Nintendo only bringing Zelda this year that there would be enough kiosks to go around, but I guess not.

Apparently they've got around 140 kiosks set up. When something is this in demand they'd need to just completely fill their floor space with nothing but screens to meet it.

Says it all really. I'm not saying it won't be a "good game" but all the hyperbolic praise here seems to come from a microcosm in which the last generation of gaming never happened.

Fair enough if this is good enough for you but don't be surprised if it falls completely flat with all those gamers Nintendo are hoping to win back.

"Good enough for you..". Yeah, ok there buddy. Zelda games historically are the most critically acclaimed games of their generation, and there's nothing to suggest this won't be another AAA offering. But yeah, I apologize for my extremely low standards and horrible taste in games. Not sure exactly what you, or others were expecting in this Zelda game in order for Nintendo to "win back" gamers?

Aldric

I'm shocked this isn't as apparent to other people, although Nintendo's weird ass approach to E3 is certainly the reason for that. This game is the MGSV of open world RPGs and I couldn't be more hyped for that.

lt reminds me of a recent discussion here about Splatoon. There's a tendency to simply deny the interesting things Nintendo does in terms of gameplay, accusing people of being blinded by nostalgia or wearing "rose tinted glasses" unlike the truely objective gamer of course who can see this is an unremarkable game that'd have felt dated as a PS3 launch title. Going back to Splatoon there was a refusal to admit the game was mechanically innovative, instead dumbing down the conversation with blanket statements like "Tribes already did territory control years ago!". You can see very similar things here. Drive by posting that just states the game is obsolete compared to TW3 or DS, without ever explaining why of course. It can get frustrating.

digdug2k

You can totally compare the map to games like Witcher.
It's open world forests and cliffs, not that hard.

That aspect of this game absolutely looks dated, and that's because it is, since it's running on very dated hardware (the wiiu's).
Hell, at times it even looks more sparse than Dragon's Dogma, and that's saying something.

Not hard to imagine why some of us think it doesn't look that hot.
I finally just picked up the Witcher 3 or so weeks ago. Its definitely "prettier" than this in my mind, but I don't really get the "sparse" comments here. 1.) The Witcher 3 has plenty of areas where there isn't much around. Just you and a lot of woods. Maybe some wolves. You run over a few hills and hopefully find something. This looks about the same.

They physics engine + the open world stuff looks neat here though.

oatmeal

Banned
The most exciting things are:

1. No BS intro. It's almost as short as Zelda 1.
2. No handholding story that you have to get through to get going, and complete freedom right off the bat. That's such a huge step forward for the series.

AdanVC

Did you notice that Nintendo didn't mention absolutely anything about the 30th anniversary of Zelda?? Perhaps since the game will launch till next year, it doesn't make sense to talk about it's anniversary when no actual game will launch this year to celebrate it just like they did last year with Mario and Super Mario Maker... They even made a cool logo to conmemorate and all of that.

Says it all really. I'm not saying it won't be a "good game" but all the hyperbolic praise here seems to come from a microcosm in which the last generation of gaming never happened.

Fair enough if this is good enough for you but don't be surprised if it falls completely flat with all those gamers Nintendo are hoping to win back.

yup i agree with you, the game could very well be amazing, but its just doesn't have that wow factor at all, other then its zelda.

Top Bottom