• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

Either then, or this could be the tale of how Hyrule fell, aka The Great Flood.

That's not possible, since Link was not present during The Great Flood. And the Kokiri evolved into Koroks to adapt to the Great Sea, so they didn't exist before that event.

from The Great Deku Tree in The Wind Waker said:
"Once upon a time, long ago, the Koroks took on human forms, but when they came to live on the sea, they took these shapes."

kotaku

http://kotaku.com/hands-on-with-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-1781969632

The map-on-gamepad was obvious a big feature they highlighted previously, and the ingame slate obviously should've been the gamepad. It's easy to assume they took out the gamepad specific features they had planned to make it 100% the same experience on NX.

Great find.

The game looks amazing, really organic and interactive, which isn't really something that open world games tackle in terms of puzzle solving.

But yes, while we now have confirmation, there are a lot of signs that the GamePad has been decoupled from the game. At the Game Awards they made a big deal showing a maps-like app interface for the GamePad screen, which had dedicated zoom touch buttons, touchscreen waypoint placing and swipe-to-pan controls.

What we saw in yesterday's footage was a large move away from that kind of interface, instead any interaction with the Sheikah slate seems to be entirely button and D-Pad/Sticks driven, rather being unique to the second screen. I wonder whether it'll mirror the TV display when you bring up the scope so you can look through the second screen, but it definitely feels a lot less "special" now, given our mental connection between in-game smart controllers and the one in our hands.

Aonuma's excuse for gutting the GamePad map is also pretty weak, since I'm sure a minimap would have existed in tandem with the GamePad's interactive, async one.

If he's telling the truth though, I'm not sure it's a move I appreciate. Detail-rich Mini maps tend to lower your immersion in exploring the game world. Zelda has traditionally had great mini-maps which don't give away enough information such that you rely on them, so hopefully the same bodes true for BotW.

MuchoMalo

Banned
kotaku

http://kotaku.com/hands-on-with-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-1781969632

The map-on-gamepad was obvious a big feature they highlighted previously, and the ingame slate obviously should've been the gamepad. It's easy to assume they took out the gamepad specific features they had planned to make it 100% the same experience on NX.

Hm... This makes it sound like NX will ship with a traditional controller.

All major characters will be voiced, so we can assume Zelda, Ganon at the very least. Link is still silent though, just as it should be in my eyes.

Where was this said? If you're referring to Emily's rumors, one of those has been debunked so we can't say for sure that the other is true.

Davey Cakes

The world being so massive is always awe-inspiring, yet I tend to worry about whether or not it's justified (usually it's not).

That said, the biggest takeaway from the footage I've seen is that there will be a lot of opportunities for open exploration and interaction with the environment. The focus on physics is a big part of that. I think it'll make for a game that's really satisfying to play.

Exciting stuff. Nintendo showing some ambition with this one.

AniHawk

i think breath of the wild is a damn good subtitle. this is after years where the subtitle was a person or in-game thing. ocarina of time, majora's mask, the minish cap, oracles, phantom hourglass, twilight princess, skyward sword, spirit tracks - only this and a link between worlds gets you away from that sort of naming convention (i like the swerve 'twilight princess' puts on expectations though).

logo is really nice too. 'of the' is pretty crammed in there, but i like the font they used and the flat coloring being used so far too. gives it an older/worn look.

game itself is like if skyward sword and the wind waker happened before ocarina of time and this was ocarina of time. it feels like a combination of those two games in terms of their combat and stamina meter/link's movesets. really fun to just climb on stuff. shadow of the colossus is an obvious inspiration. can't wait to get into the full thing and just explore.

but people have seen the treehouse live show. my impressions add nothing.

Yeah, it is pretty clear that the tablet thing in the game was supposed to be representative of the gamepad.

Yup. It really reminds me of various in-game GamePad-like devices which were resent in a lot of early Wii U games - KopPad from Pikmin 3, communicator from LEGO City Undercover etc.

I hope the GamePad UI isn't butchered a lot in favour of classic controller support - Wind Waker HD was AWESOME with GamePad, - but it's obvious that the interface was likely more GamePad-centric in the early stages of devlopment.

Yup. It really reminds me of various in-game GamePad-like devices which were resent in a lot of early Wii U games - KopPad from Pikmin 3, communicator from LEGO City Undercover etc.

I hope the GamePad UI isn't butchered a lot in favour of classic controller support - Wind Waker HD was AWESOME with GamePad, - but it's obvious that the interface was likely more GamePad-centric in the early stages of devlopment.
Kind of disapointing really.

We don't get the inmersion of what the Wii Remote setup allowed in Zelda games and it seems they cut back the features that the Gamepad would facilitate.

Still strange even if the NX will feature a traditional controller, afterall games like WW HD and The Wonderful 101 supported Gamepad features and Wii Pro controllers at the same time.

This. While it'd work as an in-game item on other systems it's impossible not to make a connection between this in-game smart slate and, well, the smart controller in our hands. And its origins are pretty obvious too, which you state (might as well add ZombiU's Prepper Pad to the list).

I wonder what they'll settle for in the final game for the GamePad. The current mapping and scoping interface is entirely button-driven, and the GamePad has no use at the moment outside of off-TV play.

So the best thing to hope for is probably a hybrid buttons/touch interface which is mirrored across both screens when you access Sheikah Stone functionality.

At the end of the day I don't think Nintendo will care that much about implementing GamePad functionality. Like Twilight Princess a simultaneous, cross-gen release means the NX version will be what we see heavily in the run-up to launch, and probably the only version of the game that'll be marketed.

Call me crazy, but I'm completely ok if Nintendo stripped out substantial pad use to make the most attractive platform be the NX.

The more successful NX is out of the gate, the more support it'll receive throughout its life. Do what you need to do Nintendo to make NX the shiniest penny.

Lynx_7

Have they said anything about whether or not you can disable the minimap? I'd like to do it the usual Zelda style and just consult the map whenever it's needed, that way I can focus on the surroundings better.
Really hope we're still given the option to have the map on the gamepad instead in the final version of the game.

Have they said anything about whether or not you can disable the minimap? I'd like to do it the usual Zelda style and just consult the map whenever it's needed, that way I can focus on the surroundings better.
Really hope we're still given the option to have the map on the gamepad instead in the final version of the game.

I would be surprised if you couldn't, considering that one could hide the minimap in The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. That being said, Breath of the Wild is able to surprise for sure...

wrowa

That's not possible, since Link was not present during The Great Flood. And the Kokiri evolved into Koroks to adapt to the Great Sea, so they didn't exist before that event.

Maybe Link was actually sent from the future to the past to prevent the flood from happening - and to create another timeline split. :p

Litri

Are they even going to show a bit more of the game in the next days?? Even after all the videos we have seen, we have seen basically nothing and I want MOAR.

Caelus

Now that they've constructed this huge game engine to use on NX, and since this game is a spiritual successor to the first Zelda, the title after this should totally parallel Zelda II and have it be about Hyrule being re-civilized.

Just wanted to appreciate the awesome logo work.

lohobleu.png

VariantX

kotaku

If the NX controller is the Wii U pro + gryos + analog triggers, ill be happy. I dont find the gamepad comfortable to hold at all due to them accomodating for the screen.

Durock

My theory: over time, the ocean drained and the desolate world of what was once the original Kingdom of Hyrule comes back into the picture. One day, Link stumbles upon--or is deceivingly(?) led to--a stone statue of a man (Ganondforf) with a sword thrust in his head. The sword looks worn and corroded, an effect caused by its many, many years in the Great Sea. Link pulls the sword from the statue and this results in Ganondorf's release from his stony imprisonment, either with physical form intact or the statue crumbling and his evil spirit freed (perhaps why he's referred to as Ganon in the game?).

Don't really have much of a theory on Link's 100 year sleep (or curse?) yet, but I'm fairly certain we'll be restoring the Master Swords power again like in The Wind Waker. Doubt its power is still intact with it being corroded like that.

- Too easy. Push 'b' to win. Combat encounters don't look very interesting at all. Enemies don't appear threatening. I expect some context to the enemies being where they are will be given through the course of the story, but man are they pushovers. Obviously the challenge will increase as the game continues on, but by how much is still in question. Being too easy makes for a boring game and goes against the spirit of Zelda 1 which was a tense game that begged you to explore the world and gather money to make surviving that dangerous world achievable.

Assuming the rewards we get from the enemy camps in the starting area reflect the ones we find in the final game, most of the enemy encounters in the starting area are designed to give you the gear you need to take on the tougher enemies in the area/enemies outside the area.

They're easy because the crap weapons you'll have up to that point would break too quickly to kill actually challenging enemies.

E-phonk

Banned
Where was this said? If you're referring to Emily's rumors, one of those has been debunked so we can't say for sure that the other is true.

Treehouse stream. Which one was debunked btw?

Now that they've constructed this huge game engine to use on NX, and since this game is a spiritual successor to the first Zelda, the title after this should totally parallel Zelda II and have it be about Hyrule being re-civilized.

Yeah, if they re-use this engine they could get a direct sequel out quite soon imo. I'd do that if I were them.

If the NX controller is the Wii U pro + gryos + analog triggers, ill be happy. I dont find the gamepad comfortable to hold at all due to them accomodating for the screen.

scrollable triggers

Alienous

I'm impressed with the climbing.

Coming from something like Uncharted 4 it seems like an interesting take. Climb freely, instead of along designed routes. A stamina bar so traversal isn't entirely without danger. You're able to leap along walls, at the cost of more stamina than it would take to climb, so it's useful to just get over a ledge, but also means that you have to tactically use it instead of mashing the button.

But after developing the game and playing the game we realized that having a smaller version of the map on screen is actually better so you know where you are at all times
So they finally came to the same conclusion I did after playing with my Wii U for the first time. Immersion be damned, looking down at a second screen is just not intuitive nor fun.

But whatever, there's a jump button now and that's literally all I wanted in a 3D Zelda for nearly 20 years now.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Watching streams I'm happy that items only sparkle when you haven't picked them up before. When the livestream yesterday first started and I saw all these things sparkling everywhere after Aonuma and co were playing I was worried, but once you pick that item up for the first time the rest don't sparkle.

Edit: Looks like weapon and loot drops still sparkle no matter what. But plants, mushrooms, apples, etc don't.

Edit 2: Ok now I just don't fucking know. One video now had some herbs that were previously acquired sparkling, while some other stuff like mushrooms weren't. So now I have no clue as to what make some things sparkle and some not. I wish it was just the one time thing like I originally thought, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Tall4Life

Where this fits in the timeline is interesting. By all logic, this should be in the Link is Dead timeline, either before LoZ NES or after Adventure of Link. It was specifically mentioned that "Hyrule is in a state of decay" which is the entire backstory for those games. In Legend of Zelda, everyone moved into caves because shit was getting too much, and in AoL there are sparse villages but its still more lively than LoZ.

However, it doesn't seem as "lively" in this game, which probably means that something happened which caused Ganon to come back....or, maybe, this follows the Bad Ending for AoL where Ganon returns.

But that one Korok really fucks things up. If it really is in the Wind Waker timeline, this has to be many many years after Spirit Tracks since the other games are in quick succession to each other, relatively. But BotW doesn't have the technological advancements of Spirit Tracks. The land looks relatively untamed and untainted. The Korok is basically the only connection right now between this game and the Wind Waker timeline.

What I'm going to hold on to for now is that the Koroks also evolved into existence in the Link is Dead timeline and evolution is just parallel in that sense. All other evidence points to it being the Dark Ages of the Link is Dead timeline.

Anyway, the more I look at this game the more excited I'm getting. Haven't been this excited in a while.

re-read the thread about that rumor. It was specifically said that the female Link thing was under consideration, which would explain why she had that info.

bachikarn

Where this fits in the timeline is interesting. By all logic, this should be in the Link is Dead timeline, either before LoZ NES or after Adventure of Link. It was specifically mentioned that "Hyrule is in a state of decay" which is the entire backstory for those games. In Legend of Zelda, everyone moved into caves because shit was getting too much, and in AoL there are sparse villages but its still more lively than LoZ.

However, it doesn't seem as "lively" in this game, which probably means that something happened which caused Ganon to come back....or, maybe, this follows the Bad Ending for AoL where Ganon returns.

But that one Korok really fucks things up. If it really is in the Wind Waker timeline, this has to be many many years after Spirit Tracks since the other games are in quick succession to each other, relatively. But BotW doesn't have the technological advancements of Spirit Tracks. The land looks relatively untamed and untainted. The Korok is basically the only connection right now between this game and the Wind Waker timeline.

What I'm going to hold on to for now is that the Koroks also evolved into existence in the Link is Dead timeline and evolution is just parallel in that sense. All other evidence points to it being the Dark Ages of the Link is Dead timeline.

Anyway, the more I look at this game the more excited I'm getting. Haven't been this excited in a while.

The demo actually addresses why hyrule is in decay - it is because of 'Calamity Ganon' and it started 100 years before the start of the game. He has been trapped in Hyrule castle, but the seal is weakening and is about to be set free again. That is why they woke up Link.

Btw - I really do expect there to be a completely new timeline to make sense of this game lol.

I love everything I've been seeing but honestly the Stealth mechanic is what excites me the most.

If you told me a year ago that the new Zelda would share ideas from Far Cry or MGS5 I'd laugh. But this actually looks pretty great.

Also I'm sure this was discussed before but it's clear this is a previous Link either awaken from cryosleep/brought back to life by Alienz. Which one do you think it was

Chaos17

Five hours? I haven't got that kind of time right now.

Then this written recap might interest you: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233823

Art style is breathtaking but the world looks barren. Combat seems to be quite the same. Need to see more.

You can spice up combat by using your glider+horse+arrow :)
giphy.gif

Or just setup a fire that the wind will spread to burn enemy house. You can be pretty creative.
spxxOvV.gif

E-phonk

Banned
Where this fits in the timeline is interesting.
It has things from all three timelines (it fits to be the game after Zelda II, it has the Korok's from Wind Waker and wolf link comes from yet another timeline.

Would they try to "unite" all tree branches in a way?

Peltz

Great find.

The game looks amazing, really organic and interactive, which isn't really something that open world games tackle in terms of puzzle solving.

But yes, while we now have confirmation, there are a lot of signs that the GamePad has been decoupled from the game. At the Game Awards they made a big deal showing a maps-like app interface for the GamePad screen, which had dedicated zoom touch buttons, touchscreen waypoint placing and swipe-to-pan controls.

What we saw in yesterday's footage was a large move away from that kind of interface, instead any interaction with the Sheikah slate seems to be entirely button and D-Pad/Sticks driven, rather being unique to the second screen. I wonder whether it'll mirror the TV display when you bring up the scope so you can look through the second screen, but it definitely feels a lot less "special" now, given our mental connection between in-game smart controllers and the one in our hands.

Aonuma's excuse for gutting the GamePad map is also pretty weak, since I'm sure a minimap would have existed in tandem with the GamePad's interactive, async one.

If he's telling the truth though, I'm not sure it's a move I appreciate. Detail-rich Mini maps tend to lower your immersion in exploring the game world. Zelda has traditionally had great mini-maps which don't give away enough information such that you rely on them, so hopefully the same bodes true for BotW.

What was Aonuma's stated reason for gutting the Gamepad map?

Bishop89

So here's my take on this:

IIRC the map of Zelda: BOW was on the Gamepad and people rightfully expected more features to be on the Gamepad, stuff like an inventory and additional gimmick stuff.

Now they came out not only saying that the game is completely playable with a pro controller, but they also ditched the entire Gamepad stuff: the map is on the game screen just like the inventory and equipment screens, there hasn't been any touchpad-related stuff in the game and also no waggle in sight.

What I can conclude from this is that the NX might launch with a more traditional controller instead of some gimmick
Traditional controller + a non laughable HDD size = me buy

JaseMath

Can I champion the godawful UI decisions?

The inconsistency of fonts?
The inconsistency of of font weights?
The inconsistency of visual hierarchy?
Readability issues?

Ugh...gross.

Peléo

Can I champion the godawful UI decisions?

The inconsistency of fonts?
The inconsistency of of font weights?
The inconsistency of visual hierarchy?
Readability issues?

Ugh...gross.

I think all this issues will be fixed in the final game. We still have a long way till the release.

Top Bottom