• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

wrowa

They probably don't want people cracking the demo open and finding it's secrets.

Yeah, I think any chance of a demo like that (which was pretty much non-existing to begin with) has disappeared ever since people started datamining and now even copying Wii U games.

heringer

Game looks amazing and it's my most anticipated title. However, some spots were a little rough, framerate wise. Hopefully they will fine tune the performance, because I want to buy a cheap WiiU, not a NX. Though, if the NX is backwards compatible (so I can play Xenoblade) and Zelda is considerably improved, I'll be tempted...

Do we know if the game has off-TV play?

Hermii

Is there any game play of a place in the game with NPCS/towns/ etc ?
Just because they didn't show it don't mean it's not in the game. People made the same mistake with the 3D world reveal.
Game looks amazing and it's my most anticipated title. However, some spots were a little rough, framerate wise. Hopefully they will fine tune the performance, because I want to buy a cheap WiiU, not a NX. Though, if the NX is backwards compatible (so I can play Xenoblade) and Zelda is considerably improved, I'll be tempted...

Do we know if the game has off-TV play?
It has off tv play and pro controller support. It won't release before earliest march next year so it's reasonable to assume performance will be tuned. Especially considering Nintys track record.

orioto

Good Art™
the wired interview with aonuma is really interesting, it seems like he recruited a group of programmers who studied a lot of AAA games and how nintendo could make these games and incorporate their ideas on it. He says that we will see a lot of new games following this path.

Oh man imagine a new mario that takes a leap as big as this game. Zelda is already the third most viewed video on nintendo's channel, everyone is raving about it. I am so happy, aonuma, myiamoto and their team really delivered on my expectations. Can't wait to see more.

The idea of a Mario, or a Metroid with that kind of modern thinking makes me wet. Nintendo is really onto something here, i damn hope their next console is going in that direction.

Hermii

The idea of a Mario, or a Metroid with that kind of modern thinking makes me wet. Nintendo is really onto something here, i damn hope their next console is going in that direction.
Don't know about Mario. It's already the best franchise in its genre so I'm not sure how inspiration from the rest of the industry would help it.

I think Mario games tend to reinvent themselves quite good already, as the IP is in good hands.

But yeah, Metroid certainly needs those Splatoon-proof young garage-developers. Metroid might even benefit from a western partner-dev (not Retro for once).

heringer

Just because they didn't show it don't mean it's not in the game. People made the same mistake with the 3D world reveal.

It has off tv play and pro controller support. It won't release before earliest march next year so it's reasonable to assume performance will be tuned. Especially considering Nintys track record.

That's cool. And (to me anyway), a plus to the WiiU version, assuming NX ditches the gamepad.

Luigiv

I wonder if we'll get a katana to go with our Samurai Armour.

Samurai_Link.png

orioto

Good Art™
Don't know about Mario. It's already the best franchise in its genre so I'm not sure how inspiration from the rest of the industry would help it.

Yeah i don't specially like the "takes things from other games" part in the Zelda. I'm more thinking about the realyl ambitious and modern use of techs, physic, non linearity.. A 3D Mario would be incredible like that. They can still keep 2D Marios for the classic stuff.

Rich!

Oh shit. I just realised something.

With the progress Cemu (Wii U PC emulator) has made so far (full speed on many of the top games), I can fully see myself being able to buy the Wii U version of Zelda next year and play it in native 1080p and beyond with no issues

Hell yeah

Phoenixus

Oh shit. I just realised something.

With the progress Cemu (Wii U PC emulator) has made so far (full speed on many of the top games), I can fully see myself being able to buy the Wii U version of Zelda next year and play it in native 1080p and beyond with no issues

Hell yeah

The NX version will likely have that resolution too, but definitely best to play this with the best visual quality possible, it'd be a disservice otherwise. :p

Rich!

The NX version will likely have that resolution too, but definitely best to play this with the best visual quality possible, it'd be a disservice otherwise. :p

The NX would have better textures, effects and models too I would hope.

However it does give a vastly cheaper option for full HD!

Does anyone know what the Thumb Sticks click do? i assume one is for crouching.

The game seem less unfinished than i would like given the time it has been in development. The menu interface could be better.

Rich!

Does anyone know what the Thumb Sticks click do? i assume one is for crouching.

The game seem less unfinished than i would like given the time it has been in development. The menu interface could be better.

I would assume one stick is for crouching and the other can be pressed for sprinting, like in Skyward Sword (stamina meter usage).

MADGAME

This would be one of the few games I would pay extra for a collector's edition, triforce edition, gluten-free Deku seed edition, etc.

Galang

Banned
the wired interview with aonuma is really interesting, it seems like he recruited a group of programmers who studied a lot of AAA games and how nintendo could make these games and incorporate their ideas on it. He says that we will see a lot of new games following this path.

Oh man imagine a new mario that takes a leap as big as this game. Zelda is already the third most viewed video on nintendo's channel, everyone is raving about it. I am so happy, aonuma, myiamoto and their team really delivered on my expectations. Can't wait to see more.

Wow this is amazing!! Can't wait to see more of their franchises with this ideology. I hope Pokemon isnt excluded from this. Would like to see a major shift after sun/moon

I would assume one stick is for crouching and the other can be pressed for sprinting, like in Skyward Sword (stamina meter usage).
Thanks for the answer.

No, sprint is the B button. i actually really like the face button use, is more intuitive than other Zelda games.

Left click: crouch
Right click: Sheikah Slab scope
And thank you sir! Where did you get the info? i ask because i would like to see coverage of people that are a bit more minduful or indepth of things like interface. Insteadd of the usual: "this game is so epic" stuff most of the coverage focus on.

Edit: Is the shield bash in? i didn't see it.

Matbtz

I guess there are NPCs in the game lol.

There's a guy chopping wood at 1:34 in the background.

I hope there are towns...

In which video ? There are so many... I didn't saw him in the "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Beyond the Plateau Gameplay - Nintendo E3 2016"

And thank you sir! Where did you get the info? i ask because i would like to see coverage of people that are a bit more minduful or indepth of things like interface. Insteadd of the usual: "this game is so epic" stuff most of the coverage focus on.

Edit: Is the shield bash in? i didn't see it.

Source: I played the demo on Tuesday.

I didn't see a shield bash, but it might be used in an unorthodox way this time.

Other walking controls, for those who are wondering

A button: Action (Talk / Pick Up)
B button: Sprint
X button: Jump / Dodge
Y button: Attack w/ melee weapon
Start/+: Menu
Select/-: Map
D-pad: Press in various directions to bring up quick equip window, use R-stick to select
L button: Can't remember...
R button: Use Rune (I think? Might be L button)
ZL button: Lock-on / Shield (if equipped)
ZR button: Use equipped arrow, aim with gyro/R-stick

Matbtz

Im getting a NX for this game alone. then Im selling it once i have completed Zelda

Yep same, I have a Wii U for just 8months now but I'll play that game on NX that's sure.

I didn't see a shield bash, but it might be used in an unorthodox way this time.

D-pad: Press in various directions to bring up quick equip window, use R-stick to select

So you can't roll I imagine ? :(

TedMilk

I believe we two are the only ones legitimately excited about this. <3
There's a plethora of birds in the trailer that had me thrilled!

Totally! Hopefully the wildlife will help flesh out the environment. The ducks looked so impressive to me though, so well animated.

Isn't the woodcutter the old guy?

R is throw weapon, I think L must be the rune item.

Guessing L stick is crouch and R stick is scope but idk.

Would be nice if you could tap to quick cycle weapons/runes without pausing ala mgsv but I haven't seen anyone doing that.

Oooooh nice.

As you've been fairly critical of modern Zelda and have a respect for the original game, what'd you think??

It checks most of the right boxes.

- Large world that's lovingly crafted and absurdly interactive but not so overdesigned so as to give players only one solution and prevent players from finding creative ways to approach different obstacles and POIs. To use a point of contrast, SS was also very interactive, but most interactions were scripted. This game dials the interactivity up to 11 - you can set a brush fire for god's sake - but with how physics-based everything is I still haven't seen a case where an interaction is scripted (think of that gif where a guy cuts down a tree but it tumbles into the gap because he misjudged the angle).

- Combat that isn't "mash B to win." If you run into an enemy camp with a powerful leader and nothing but a small stick, you're gonna die. It still plays out very much like other 3D Zeldas control-wise, so it's very familiar, but the RPG stats and different weapons let you take different approaches. Having the option to run in guns blazing, sneak up on enemies, or use the environmental interactions to create an advantage is really nice. I actually died a couple times: I lost more health than I expected to in a traditional skirmish; later I was queueing up a bomb arrow to take out a sentry but got shot myself before I could line up the shot, and it blew up, killing me. And I still haven't even taken on the giant bosses or Guardians.

- Weapons and pickups to find EVERYWHERE. I normally hate item durability, but it works here because it breaks the Zelda trap where skilled players can steamroll everything with the "default" gear. Your stick WILL break, and you WILL want to get a good sword/spear/bow/whatever so you can actually beat more powerful enemies. Add food, crafting materials, and the environmental interactivity on top of that, and resourcefulness becomes your real greatest weapon. I'd be shocked if the harder stages of the game didn't basically require you to stack up a decent set of gear if you want to take on the enemies and survive.

- Environmental interactions are a great replacement for constructed puzzles. And they don't even limit the game; if you use a fallen tree trunk as a bridge, who's to say you couldn't also use the glider to cross it from a high enough vantage point, possibly aided by updrafts from strategically placed fires? And if you love constructed puzzles, those still exist in the shrines.

- Secrets everywhere. They're all visible, so they're not nearly as obscure as the first game, but they're not necessarily obvious. There's a bombable wall that I totally missed in the first stream, thinking it was just a way to climb up out of a small pond. Looking forward to that effect getting multiplied across lots of different biomes and potential interactions.

all in all it's the Zelda game I'vs been begging for ever since I went back and tried the NES games after Skyward Sword. I saw the light, and it looks like Nintendo did too.

The freedom I've been craving is definitely there. But Nintendo in their typical genius Nintendo way does provide subtle environmental cues to give players a bit of direction from the starting point: the path leads right down the hill, right past the Old Man, right to the Temple of Time, and over the field just beyond that is the first "main objective" point. But that's just one of the dozens of directions you can try to go, even just in the Great Plateau. It's an awe inspiring experience.

ColdPizza

Banned
So am I imagining things or does the footage alternate link in both 3D and vector art? Maybe this will be like the Twilight Princess in that there are two game modes?

- Large world that's lovingly crafted and absurdly interactive but not so overdesigned so as to give players only one solution and prevent players from finding creative ways to approach different obstacles and POIs. To use a point of contrast, SS was also very interactive, but most interactions were scripted. This game dials the interactivity up to 11 - you can set a brush fire for god's sake - but with how physics-based everything is I still haven't seen a case where an interaction is scripted (think of that gif where a guy cuts down a tree but it tumbles into the gap because he misjudged the angle).

- Combat that isn't "mash B to win." If you run into an enemy camp with a powerful leader and nothing but a small stick, you're gonna die. It still plays out very much like other 3D Zeldas control-wise, so it's very familiar, but the RPG stats and different weapons let you take different approaches. Having the option to run in guns blazing, sneak up on enemies, or use the environmental interactions to create an advantage is really nice. I actually died a couple times: I lost more health than I expected to in a traditional skirmish; later I was queueing up a bomb arrow to take out a sentry but got shot myself before I could line up the shot, and it blew up, killing me. And I still haven't even taken on the giant bosses or Guardians.

- Weapons and pickups to find EVERYWHERE. I normally hate item durability, but it works here because it breaks the Zelda trap where skilled players can steamroll everything with the "default" gear. Your stick WILL break, and you WILL want to get a good sword/spear/bow/whatever so you can actually beat more powerful enemies. Add food, crafting materials, and the environmental interactivity on top of that, and resourcefulness becomes your real greatest weapon. I'd be shocked if the harder stages of the game didn't basically require you to stack up a decent set of gear if you want to take on the enemies and survive.

- Environmental interactions are a great replacement for constructed puzzles. And they don't even limit the game; if you use a fallen tree trunk as a bridge, who's to say you couldn't also use the glider to cross it from a high enough vantage point, possibly aided by updrafts from strategically placed fires? And if you love constructed puzzles, those still exist in the shrines.

- Secrets everywhere. They're all visible, so they're not nearly as obscure as the first game, but they're not necessarily obvious. There's a bombable wall that I totally missed in the first stream, thinking it was just a way to climb up out of a small pond. Looking forward to that effect getting multiplied across lots of different biomes and potential interactions.

all in all it's the Zelda game I'vs been begging for ever since I went back and tried the NES games after Skyward Sword. I saw the light, and it looks like Nintendo did too.

: O

Thanks for the impressions. :)

Eradicate

The freedom I've been craving is definitely there. But Nintendo in their typical genius Nintendo way does provide subtle environmental cues to give players a bit of direction from the starting point: the path leads right down the hill, right past the Old Man, right to the Temple of Time, and over the field just beyond that is the first "main objective" point. But that's just one of the dozens of directions you can try to go, even just in the Great Plateau. It's an awe inspiring experience.

Absolutely awesome! It'd be great if there was a collection of GAFfers' impressions of the game demo put all together! I don't know how many people actually got to play from here with those crazy lines, but it'd be nice to have them all together to discuss and hear your impressions and talk them out. You spelled out everything so great! I swear, every new thing I hear or see just hypes me more and more.

How long did they give you to play?

red36

Neo Member
just waiting to hear about the NX so I can start budgeting. I guess there is no chance they will be talking about NX this e3 huh? Probably means it wont be releasing before the next e3... :(

th4tguy

I'm loving all of the gameplay elements. The game looks so fresh compared to past entries. It is sad to see how much the hardware holds back the visuals. Hoping with the extra power of no, the art will be able to truly shine.

just waiting to hear about the NX so I can start budgeting. I guess there is no chance they will be talking about NX this e3 huh? Probably means it wont be releasing before the next e3... :(

NX is scheduled for release in March, 2017 and is set to be unveiled to the public this fall.

Top Bottom