• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breitbart (inaccurately) pushes back on 'alt-right' label

http://thehill.com/media/347266-breitbart-pushes-back-on-alt-right-label

The conservative publication Breitbart this weekend pushed back against being labeled "alt-right," after CNN host Don Lemon ripped the network as a "platform the alt-right."

Stephen Bannon, founding member of the board for the online media company and now former White House chief strategist, also referred to Breitbart as "the platform for the alt-right" in a July 2016 interview with Mother Jones reporter Sarah Posner.

Reporter Tony Lee on Saturday defended the publication, citing a Harvard/MIT study that found Breitbart was not alt-right, and used an alternative quote from executive chairman Bannon explaining his own beliefs, which Lee argued has been taken out of context.

"I'm an economic nationalist. I am an 'America first' guy. And I have admired nationalist movements throughout the world, have said repeatedly strong nations make great neighbors," Bannon told The Wall Street Journal last year, Breitbart noted.

"I've also said repeatedly that the ethno-nationalist movement, prominent in Europe, will change over time. I've never been a supporter of ethno-nationalism," he continued.

The publication's defensive posture comes days after Bannon left his White House post and returned to lead the publication.

They're back pedalling now. People need to drive home that alt-right=Neo-Nazis. Don't let them sweep this under the carpet.

Platy

We are not Alt-Right, say leading alt-right publication

To be fair he might be saying "no, we are not alt right, we are full on nazis"

CijVra2WsAAsD-k.jpg

I do nazi how they are going to lose the label

Codeblue

You have a base because you're an ethno-nationalist, if you betray that then you lose your teeth.

If you're trying to rebrand again, your efforts are gonna go down the drain the next time you hold a rally and a bunch of Nazis show up. Your views are plain. You're not fooling anyone.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I wonder if this is confirming that Bannon interview that he genuinely doesn't like the alt-right guys, or if this is more they did enormous brand damage by showing the world they're just Nazis with khaki pants and now no one wants to be seen as one.

Platy

I wonder if this is confirming that Bannon interview that he genuinely doesn't like the alt-right guys, or if this is more they did enormous brand damage by showing the world they're just Nazis with khaki pants and now no one wants to be seen as one.

but the jokes are hilarious =D

7GrIJq1.jpg

This one.

Same thing happened in Canada with our own little Breitbart Jr. site called The Rebel, which imploded. They had their own little Lauren Southern wannabe Faith Goldy praising white Nationlism and Spencer's manifesto right before that asshole starting running people over with his car.

She's been on a Daily Stormer podcast.

https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalp.../wcm/23597cc0-4c97-4e64-bea4-999bd870f1f1/amp

In it, she said she “salutes” the white supremacists for showing up to Charlottesville “in hordes,” then she clarified with a laugh: “Not a Roman salute, guys,” a reference to the stiff armed Nazi salute.

The podcast’s live audience erupted in cheers and applause when Goldy predicted that within five years an alt-right politician would run for office.

“Love you or hate you, people would be fools to ignore you,” she said.

Suddenly the whole alt right movement is in damage control as they've been exposed as Neo Nazis.

Bannon probably went back to Bullshitbart for damage control. People need to keep driving this shit home and expose these fuckers. They're all part of the same fucking movement, just hiding it and trying to make it mainstream.

PixelatedBookake

7GrIJq1.jpg

I get (and agree) with what that joke is trying to say, but its annoying to see that picture of Bannon being passed around like it's real. Just use a unshopped photo of the guy. It's not like he doesn't look like a shaved scrotum 24/7.

MKIL65

7GrIJq1.jpg

It's almost like he got stung by 100s of bees.

Or he just has a severe allergic reaction. Probably the latter. But normally you would be on your knees, trying to desperately gasp for breath.

L Thammy

Makes sense. People have seen through their disguise so they need to find another one. May I suggest "social nationalist"?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Good luck with that, Breitbart.

On the other hand, it's a good sign that the "alt-right" label is now seen as being just as toxic as what it's trying to mask.

Bannon is going back to his spreadsheets and numbers style of persuasion but no trump supporter wanted to hear that last time when he did it for the tea party and none do now.

"Economic nationalism"? What? Like trade deals and currency manipulation and reserve banks and debt and stuff? But nothing about Mexicans and Islam and dilution of white genetics and Jews and horrible SJWs etc? Forget it!!

Without xenophobic text and racist dog whistles he can't energize anyone.

I think trump ejected the wrong guy he should have fired Stephen Miller, gorka and his wife, not Bannon.

Sorry shitbirds, you don’t get to revel in the name and all it brings with it, and then abandon it when things go south.

Hitler couldn’t pop out of his bunker at the end of the war like, “Nazis? Seriously? We’re all simple merchant farmers with guns who kinda don’t like the Jews.”

More to the point, are IT dept. gonna filter them out as hate-sites? Are folks going recoil in horror when their classmates are perusing it during lecture, the same way you might if a person were organizing their weekend cross-burning photos?

If not, society is saying they're just as relevant and mainstream as National Review or National Geographic.

III-V

More to the point, are IT dept. gonna filter them out as hate-sites? Are folks going recoil in horror when their classmates are perusing it during lecture, the same way you might if a person were organizing their weekend cross-burning photos?

If not, society is saying they're just as relevant and mainstream as National Review or National Geographic.

It won't be seen at either of those extremes, but it will be a clear sign of your hard leaning political affiliations.

Trump is a moron and has no idea what he unleashed.

Im sure Bannon and Miller framed it as giving Trump a powerful ally, not constrained by public service rules.

Trump won't recognize the damage until it's too late, but that doesn't mean he won't be cheering them on until the realization dawns on him.

It won't be seen at either of those extremes, but it will be a clear sign of your hard leaning political affiliations.

That's my fear. Once it's fully ensconced within the mainstream spectrum of 'news' then White Nationalism becomes just another political opinion, among many, with its own representatives and constituency.

Steve King writ large

Ithil

Too late, dipshits. You tried your little rebranding effort, now it's been exposed as just white supremacy in a cheap suit and Hitler Youth haircut.

They don't get to run away from their own branding attempts now.

There's enough evidence to suggest that Bannon, while anti-semetic and racist, only uses the alt-right to create chaos.

Top Bottom