• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit Leave Campaign backtracks on £350m/wk extra to NHS used as part of campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

New news, new thread:

Nigel Farage has told Good Morning Britain it was a “mistake” for the Leave campaign to claim there’d be £350m a week extra for the NHS after Brexit.

Asked to guarantee that money would go to the NHS he said: “No, and I would never have made that claim. That was one of the mistakes that the Leave campaign made.”

He went on to say the UK now has a “£10billion a year featherbed, that will be free money that we can spend on the NHS, on schools, on whatever it is.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/eu-referendum-results-live-brexit-8262829

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/746215399763566592

Video:

Lie to me in a campaign if old

NeOak

Farage was not part of the leave campaign though, he can't be responsible for their ads can he?

Screenshot-2016-06-24-073146.jpg

idk man, he seems all for it

BadHand

Screenshot-2016-06-24-073146.jpg

idk man, he seems all for it

My point is he wasn't part of the official leave campaign who commissioned that ad. He's not even an MP to promise such things.

The leave campaign has not actually backtracked on that statement, unlike what the thread title says.

Flintty

I'm at work so can't do it, can someone please Dark Lord the following picture, complete with force lightning and shizzle...

_90080215_033683012-1.jpg

I voted Leave but still can't stand this guy and his bull.

GhaleonEB

He went on to say the UK now has a “£10billion a year featherbed, that will be free money that we can spend on the NHS, on schools, on whatever it is.”
So, massive tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations?

Lucifon

Anyone who expected them to take a giant pot of money currently going elsewhere and put it into the nhs is a massive buffoon.

Political campaigns are just a marketing campaign in disguise, full of carefully worded bullshit.

Symphonia

Banned
Farage was not part of the leave campaign though, he can't be responsible for their ads can he?
He was one of the key players in the entire campaign.

He 'promised' that this £350m would go on the NHS.

He was the one who bullshitted his way through his entire career.

BadHand

He was one of the key players in the entire campaign.

He 'promised' that this £350m would go on the NHS.

He was the one who bullshitted his way through his entire career.

I agree he is a bullshitter and was a key player in the referendum. But he wasn't part of the official leave campaign or that bus ad.

geordiemp

OMG, 10 billion we cannot spend on NHS, might have to go a bit to schools instead.

What a tragedy. Run for the hills. LOL

What a problem, 10 billion to spend, no Brussels members with 3 offices to pay, no propping up southern europe - thats up to poor old Germany and France now.

Give it a year or 2, EU will be gone, Free trade will remain unless Germany wants to pay UK tax on all those German cars they sell us every year.

FStop7

Banned
I agree he is a bullshitter and was a key player in the referendum. But he wasn't part of the official leave campaign or that bus ad.

Isn't this what they call "plausible deniability?" By positioning Farage as an outsider he can take the heat for this rather than the people officially associated with that statement.

BadHand

Isn't this what they call "plausible deniability?" By positioning Farage as an outsider he can take the heat for this rather than the people officially associated with that statement.

Yes, I would hate to see Farage take the brunt of the inevitable failed promises of the Leave campaign (thats not to say he doesn't deserve a lot of criticism). It's Gove, Johnson & Co that need to take public accountability over that (if/when they do U-turn)

Aiii

So not worth it
The people in the UK will get what they voted for but sure as hell won't be money.

They already lost much more then that with the pound plummet alone, today. Not to mention the value lost at the stock market for British based companies.

Won't it be great if the conservative government that takes over says that actually the NHS needs to have its funding cut?

OMG, 10 billion we cannot spend on NHS, might have to go a bit to schools instead.

What a tragedy. Run for the hills. LOL

What a problem, 10 billion to spend, no Brussels members with 3 offices to pay, no propping up southern europe - thats up to poor old Germany and France now.

Give it a year or 2, EU will be gone, Free trade will remain unless Germany wants to pay UK tax on all those German cars they sell us every year.

How would you feel about lowering taxes instead of spending that money on things such as the NHS and schools?

Liljagare

The London Economic
‏@LondonEconomic
The UK is no longer the world's 5th largest economy. The £ has fallen so far that France has overtaken us. #EUref

These were obvious lies and people still fell for it.

People, As in People the masses/Mob are easily frightened missled and can be downright suicidally stupid. That why you don't do public votes are issues that are this complicated and nuanced.

Gandie

Won't it be great if the conservative government that takes over says that actually the NHS needs to have its funding cut?

How would you feel about lowering taxes instead of spending that money on things such as the NHS and schools?

Lowering taxes for corporations and the upper class, I hope.

satriales

Everywhere I saw Fargage mention the £350M figure he always clarified that was the total given and that we get about half of it back as a rebate.

MacBosse

Now, I won't claim to be anywhere near an expert at economics and the market but isn't it likely that it will calm down and even recover in the coming days?

Or is the loss to steep this morning for that to even be a remote possibility?

kirblar

Now, I won't claim to be anywhere near an expert at economics and the market but isn't it likely that it will calm down and even recover in the coming days?

No.

This is a complete and total lack of confidence in the UK to be reliable and stable.

Linkyn

Political / economic uncertainty always causes volatility in the financial sector. People are afraid the UK economy is going to tank, so they try to get their money out of the country. In the long term, once there is a clearer perspective of the UK's future relations with the EU and other nations, things will balance out (though it's hard to say where they will stand relative to earlier this week). Right now, nobody really knows what's going to happen, which is what scares people.

Nivash

Political / economic uncertainty always causes volatility in the financial sector. People are afraid the UK economy is going to tank, so they try to get their money out of the country. In the long term, once there is a clearer perspective of the UK's future relations with the EU and other nations, things will balance out (though it's hard to say where they will stand relative to earlier this week). Right now, nobody really knows what's going to happen, which is what scares people.

The problem is that the uncertainty won't go away because the negotiations will take years. In the meantime, a lot of companies dependent on the common market will leave the UK for safer harbors. Especially financial companies that can move instantly. This will both directly and indirectly have a negative effect on the UK economy and on the value of the pound.

They will stabilise, but likely at lower levels than before. At least we'll know in a few weeks if this is enough to trigger a new global crisis or not.

Coxy100

Banned
To be fair - it's 'only' Farage who has backtracked as such - and he never claimed that figure as he isn't part of the official leave campaign.

ClsWgL2UoAEZZV1.jpg

17 million 60+ year old, DE on the NRS social class, and up-to-GCSE educated or no education people voted on this. Leave voters and Nigel Farage don't get to back out of this.

ClsWgL2UoAEZZV1.jpg

17 million 60+ year old, DE on the NRS social class, and up-to-GCSE educated or no education people voted on this. Leave voters and Nigel Farage don't get to back out of this.

If it's brought up again, all prominent leavers who campaigned on this will say now isn't the time for the finer details. We need to stabilise the economy first, to unite as a country and then it'll be quietly forgotten about as the immigration debate takes over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom