• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit Leave Campaign backtracks on £350m/wk extra to NHS used as part of campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "ten billion pound featherbed" statement looks pretty damning, but you have to understand that he means they're literally going to stuff a mattress with that money due to it lacking any other value by the time they're done.

Yes Nigel Farage did not make the ad but he never called them out on it during the whole campaign. And he was one of the front runners for the Leave

Was anyone really naïve enough to believe that the £350m (that was never actually £350m) would be used to help the NHS, as opposed to being used the the Chancellor -current or future- as an easy piece of deficit reduction by a government desperate to push through ideological austerity, who are struggling to meet any targets they've set in that regard?

Well I suppose a good proportion of the 52% of the voters yesterday were at least.

Linkyn

The problem is that the uncertainty won't go away because the negotiations will take years. In the meantime, a lot of companies dependent on the common market will leave the UK for safer harbors. Especially financial companies that can move instantly. This will both directly and indirectly have a negative effect on the UK economy and on the value of the pound.

They will stabilise, but likely at lower levels than before. At least we'll know in a few weeks if this is enough to trigger a new global crisis or not.

That is something that's talked about a lot on the news here, as our financial sector stands to grow quite a bit by an exodus from London. Right now, there are just a lot of questions, and nobody can really predict what is going to happen. How is the UK economy going to develop in the long term? How is the rest of the EU going to react? To what extent are eurosceptic movements in other countries going to grow in influence? What is the future of Scotland and Northern Ireland in the context of the UK? For that matter, what is going to happen to Gibraltar? How are the British parties going to adjust to changing leadership? Until these and other questions have been answered, there will be lingering doubt and unvertainty.

Mokujin

Wow, that video is surely embarrassing, but he clearing doesn't care about it, Nigel already got the votes he wanted.

He'll just keep spinning it to the moon while laughing.

Engell

I'm at work so can't do it, can someone please Dark Lord the following picture, complete with force lightning and shizzle...

Sorry, did my best(not really) in paint.net.. not exactly what you wanted, but still.
N60uPBD.png
Hope you are still happy with your vote

I think a lot of people here don't understand what's going on here... There were two campaigns for leaving. One kept talking about the £350m figure, the other didn't (or, at least, did so in a far more caveat'ed manner). Farage was part of the latter. There was a LOT of stuff to dislike about their campaign - that poster, for example - but people are either intentionally trying to get upset here or simply don't understand the way the campaigns worked.

Yes Nigel Farage did not make the ad but he never called them out on it during the whole campaign. And he was one of the front runners for the Leave

He kinda did - he often mentioned that we weren't going to get all that back.

Flintty

Sorry, did my best(not really) in paint.net.. not exactly what you wanted, but still.

Hope you are still happy with your vote

10/10, thank you! Genius work :D

Yes, I have no regrets. Well actually my only regret is how it as shown the ugly on both sides. We need to get over differences and push forward now; no amount of anger or insults is going to undo what has been done. I know it's tough for a lot of people but I really do believe it's best for our future (no I'm not going to argue about it, anyone thinking of picking up on this!)

Portugeezer

"mistake" by the leave campaign. Well then, you have to wonder why these things could even be spread in the first place? No punishment for the lies.

Sianos

If it's brought up again, all prominent leavers who campaigned on this will say now isn't the time for the finer details. We need to stabilise the economy first, to unite as a country and then it'll be quietly forgotten about as the immigration debate takes over again.

Sadly, "finer details" to the leavers also includes step 2 of the plan to stabilize the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom