• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brie Larson Isn’t Letting Her ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour Be ‘Overwhelmingly’ White and Male

Mihos

Gold Member
Can’t wait for this movie to do super well at the box office

I’m vaguely interested even though I know nothing of he character

But to see all the salt and tears from manbabies upset about marvel going “full sjw”

Going to be glorious

There isn't really anything in the movie itself that is 'sjw'. Without spoiling anything, there is really only one character change that may be concidered 'woke', but it is mild and most people won't even know it is a change. A lot less of a change than Samuel Jackson playing Fury or Tessa playing Valkyrie at least.

It is Brie's off camera stuff that is a little rediculous, but the movie itself is pretty bad ass, top 5 marvel for me at least.

SJW will be mad that it isn't SJW and anti SJW will be mad because it will most likely be well received and do very well.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Have you seen Alita? I would absolutely call it a great movie, especially if marvel movies are the standard of quality we are measuring against here. Talk about a low bar.

I really do want to see it after some of the response that I've been reading. I'll be seeing it after Captian Marvel though, as I'm more hyped for that movie. And no Marvel movies are not a low bar, but a high one for action type flicks.

I posted Grace’s review and some of her quotes in the “Preparing for flop!” thread.

Sounds like it’s what most of you expected

Here’s Jeremy’s

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
Werent drawn in by the character and story felt all over the place like they tried to cover to much.

I agree with the character thing (only Carol though, Talos, Goose, Fury were all great) , but I thought the story and action were great.

I would put it around Dr Strange if ranking marvel movies. Dr Strange being a better character, but I think captain marvel had a better story.

Javthusiast

Banned
So I hear it's not really a lead up to endgame but setting up for shit after?

Meaning, I can skip it in theaters (which I already was going to do to be fair out of no interest) and watch it on vod later?

Meaning, I can skip it in theaters (which I already was going to do to be fair out of no interest) and watch it on vod later?

Grace’s review claims it really doesn’t even really do much for Phase 4, unless I’m misunderstand her.

I don’t even know anymore

Mihos

Gold Member

Honestly, I would say it adds more backstory to current movies than it sets up for anything going forward. It is like doctor strange where you need to get the origin story out of the way so you can do cool stuff in the future.

Javthusiast

Banned
Yeah that is not worth it for me to pay so much in the cinema, I am gonna watch it sometime after endgame when it's out for rental.

Lupingosei

Banned
So it is Thor the Dark World, because they neither have RDJ as a lead to pull it out nor a director like Taika Waititi nor a script by Edgar Wright.

And of course:

REMEMBER THE 90's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FatalFatalGrayling-small.gif

JCK75

Yea we are def seeing Ghostbusters (2016) part II, RT score sitting pretty and high but actually reading reviews nobody seems all that impressed by it.
it's an OK movie being lifted up by activists that I would have seen and moderately enjoyed had I not been told by the actress that it's not for me.

oagboghi2

So you folks won't even see Endgame because she is in it?
I'll watch Endgame becuase I trust the Russo brothers, but I have to be honest I worry Captain Marvel will ruin that movie.

The fact that Kevin Feige keeps on saying she is the most powerful character ever screams Deus ex machina to me

Javthusiast

Banned
The Mary Sue already having an article up with following headline:

Captain Marvel Is Fun and the Only Negative Reviews Are Written by Men ... Shocking

Mihos

Gold Member

Captain Marvel Is Fun and the Only Negative Reviews Are Written by Men ... Shocking

That is just odd, I really don't remember anything particularly 'feminist' at all in the movie, outside of maybe the one casting change that only nerds like us would catch.... which without spoiling, I am kind of glad they made for the sake of the story. Even if I missed a bunch of overt stuff, it definitely wasn't Ghostbusters/Last Jedi situation.

If it wasn't for Brie (and by extension sites like the TheMarySue) running there mouth, it probably wouldn't even have come up.

mckmas8808

Why do you let that kind of stuff get to you? Clearly they are biased.

oagboghi2

Is it true that the term avengers is based on
A dead friend. Avenger... Avenge her.... Her friend dies and she wants to "avenge" her. That's where the name comes from?

If so, that is dumb:messenger_tears_of_joy:

mckmas8808

Yeah I just laugh at that kind of nonsense.

At this point, I do too. It's just Outrage Marketing. It's super obvious. Over the last year or more it's something alot of companies are doing in order to get people to spread their brand awareness around using Internet Forums and Social Media.

Fashion clothes companies just did it lately by making a Black Face Shirt and a Hoodie with a noose wrapping around the front.

Javthusiast

Banned
Why do you let that kind of stuff get to you? Clearly they are biased.

Oh it doesn't matter to me whatsoever, their site is known for garbage articles like it, I just thought it was predictably hilarious that they would use this exact article after the reviews hit.

That isnt true though.

As it always often is with these sjw sites, they don't care for facts.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
Is it true that the term avengers is based on
A dead friend. Avenger... Avenge her.... Her friend dies and she wants to "avenge" her. That's where the name comes from?

If so, that is dumb:messenger_tears_of_joy:

It was her callsign during her air-force days like 'Maverick', or 'IceMan'. Fury says something like, we are going to need more like her and starts the 'Avenger's Initiative'...…….. but that isn't the side backstory thing that will piss off some fan boys, and kind of disappointed me

Last edited:

kunonabi

Oh it doesn't matter to me whatsoever, their site is known for garbage articles like it, I just thought it was predictably hilarious that they would use this exact article after the reviews hit.

As it always often is with these sjw sites, they don't care for facts.

they really dont. At least 1/3 of the rotten reviews are from women.

LMJ

My main gripe Isn't even Larson being a loud mouth, it's that it looks like she's just dull, it doesn't look like she has much personality in the trailers, from the early reviews I'm seeing thus far that seems to be the case.

If I wanted to watch a robot I would go and watch a movie about a robot, personality is a wonderful thing and I don't know, Larson looks like she was kind of directed with a M. Knight kind of directing style just very flat faced and lifles... hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:
My main gripe Isn't even Larson being a loud mouth, it's that it looks like she's just dull, it doesn't look like she has much personality in the trailers, from the early reviews I'm seeing this far that seems to be the case.

If I wanted to watch a robot I would go to a movie and watch a movie about a robot, personality is a wonderful thing I don't know, Larson looks like she was kind of directed with a M. Knight kind of directing style just very flat faced and lifless hopefully I'm wrong.

In Jeremy’s review he says that she shows personality in the beginning but once she gets here it’s “like Earth is her personality kryptonite” and it evaporates

A shame

sol_bad

LOL
People in here with an agenda convincing themselves that it's a bad film based on a couple of reviews. Will most likey still try convincing themselves when the audience score is high, "Oh that's just all the MCU fan boys".

LMJ

Yeah I saw that JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered , was pretty excited at first, but sounds like she's dishwater for the bulk (aka dull)
For the bulk of it, I'll wait for a few more of my fav reviews though like Double Toasted for example before I judge too harshly lol

LMJ

F fantomena , I didn't either, but 3 seconds and a Google search later tells me it's the actor who played Kramer

I imagine in regards to his racist tirade at the Apollo...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

F fantomena , I didn't either, but 3 seconds and a Google search later tells me it's the actor who played Kramer

I imagine in regards to his racist tirade at the Apollo...

It's funny because what he said and did, is literally night and day to what Brie said lol.

ruvikx

Banned
I would have paid to watch a Black Widow aka Natasha Romanoff movie, but Captain Marvel? (with the "spoiler" amnesia stereotypical plot device?) meh. News flash @ scriptwriters: you can't just parachute a "fait accopmli" aka Captain Marvel as the future of the MCU just because you choose & want that to happen. It was the audiences which made Iron Man & Captain America so popular. They dictated the market. It's not even a question of politics & feminism (which at this juncture is merely a shield (pun unintended) which Disney uses to protect its blockbusters from critique) but a basic matter of credibility & literal suspension of disbelief.

In all the trailers all I see is an angry woman in a funky costume shooting fire/energy from her hands. If it wasn't for the currentyear culture wars bullshit clouding certain peoples judgement, it might just earn a place alongside Jennifer Garner's Elektra in the pantheon of what the f am I watching sort of movies.

Barnabot

At least some people are realising their mistakes and telling us that their opinion about Capitain Marvel importance has changed.

It's funny because what he said and did, is literally night and day to what Brie said lol.

True, but it's not as if a fair comparison would look much better.

"I don't care if black women don't laugh at my comedy, and I don't care what they think. My comedy isn't for them. I care about what white males think of my work."

vs

"I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time," said Larson. "It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color."

At least some people are realising their mistakes and telling us that their opinion about Capitain Marvel importance has changed.

I mean, I get it. There’s a lot of truth fueling his sarcasm. A lot.

Couple things I gotta say:

Yes, we had three Blade movies. That doesn’t make Black Panther less necessary or “valid,” in my opinion.

Also, he provides great examples of strong females represented well throughout the last few decades, and he’s right, but how many little girls grew up wanting to be Ridley? I can see maybe Xena, I’m sure Xena costumes were a thing, but one thing about Wonder Woman and and Captain Marvel that I can try to appreciate is giving girls that equal icon to belong to, and look up to, like a Superman or Captain America.

Ghostbusters 2016 tried to do this too but just failed catatrophically.

Otherwise I can’t argue with his quips.

Edit

Just wanna add, these are just my opinions. Not saying I’m right, or that anyone else is wrong. Not telling you to think my way. Just thinking out loud

Last edited:

mckmas8808

lol no

What Larson said here was just as racist as what Richards said. It’s just a socially acceptable form of racism. Sexist too.

Are you talking about the same quote about the interviews? Or are you talking about something else?

True, but it's not as if a fair comparison would look much better.

"I don't care if black women don't laugh at my comedy, and I don't care what they think. My comedy isn't for them. I care about what white males think of my work."

vs

"I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time," said Larson. "It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color."

Okay this was NOT the quote I was talking about. I do agree that this is a stupidly dumb quote from her. It's weird to say a movie wasn't made for a 40-year white man to like.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned

The less said about the culture war nutters, the better. If some "humans" (in inverted commas) actually imagine Brie f*cking Larson & Captain Marvel in 2019 are breaking down barriers, they're either dishonest, insane or have only watched 6 movies in their entire lifetime. I was watching the Milla Jovovich Resident Evil movies over the past week: a strong, kickass woman performs all manner of crazy stunts & zombie/monster/Umbrella slaying moves without either daddy or men issues defining her as a character. Are we just supposed to forget such female characters exist? I think not.

Couple things I gotta say:

Yes, we had three Blade movies. That doesn’t make Black Panther less necessary or “valid,” in my opinion.

Black Panther as a black emancipation product is disgusting because it's complete fiction. Wakanda is as real as Ming the Merciless in Flash Gordon. It's okay in a superhero MCU setting, but as a cultural influence? F*ck that.

mckmas8808

The less said about the culture war nutters, the better. If some "humans" (in inverted commas) actually imagine Brie f*cking Larson & Captain Marvel in 2019 are breaking down barriers, they're either dishonest, insane or have only watched 6 movies in their entire lifetime. I was watching the Milla Jovovich Resident Evil movies over the past week: a strong, kickass woman performs all manner of crazy stunts & zombie/monster/Umbrella slaying moves without either daddy or men issues defining her as a character. Are we just supposed to forget such female characters exist? I think not.

Black Panther as a black emancipation product is disgusting because it's complete fiction. Wakanda is as real as Ming the Merciless in Flash Gordon. It's okay in a superhero MCU setting, but as a cultural influence? F*ck that.

Except you don't get to tell people what influences them. Who the hell do you think you are? The God of Human thought?

I would have paid to watch a Black Widow aka Natasha Romanoff movie

Same here. She's a really cool character with an interesting backstory. It's a shame Marvel didn't give her a movie years ago. It could have been awesome.

Also, he provides great examples of strong females represented well throughout the last few decades, and he’s right, but how many little girls grew up wanting to be Ridley?

Personally, I think all little girls should grow up wanting to be the bride...

from Kill Bill. :messenger_grinning:

Top Bottom