• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink moved up to May 10th (US) | May 13th (EU)

Rad- said:
I'm not sure why people are doubting its selling power. If Homefront can sell well, surely Brink can?
Military Dudebro FPS + 10's of millions of $'s in marketing. Brink doesn't have either of those. Maybe Splash Damage should change the Security forces to North Koreans, then Brink might be able to stand up to Homefront's numbers.

zlatko said:
Same boat I'm in. This game just has the elements I love from gaming:

1) Tons of customization on character appearance. I'm a junkie for this since I was an avid MMO player.

2) The movement system. This has been a giant piss me off switch in games up to this where I get stuck on invisible 1 foot high crates in FPS games. I'm a super soldier of doom, but oh shit that's a 1 foot high box in my way, better find another route.

3) Class based shooter and the idea of light, medium, heavy people to change how your character plays and the guns they get access to. This should hopefully lead to several awesome ways to play to keep the game fresh and interesting for a bevy of players.

Those are the big 3 that going into the game are making me feel sound about my day one purchase. Plus, the people who posted in the Pax thread a while back who played had nothing but praise for the game.

The only way I could really see this failing is: Online lag issues/matchmaking issues, game breaking glitches resulting from the movement system to get out of maps, or not enough maps/levels to play on to keep the game fresh each time you play.

If it can avoid those mistakes, and bring to the table what it's bringing, then I could see this game selling a lot by word of mouth as well as setting a new bar in at least the movement barriers in FPS games. I don't think Brink will be a CoD killer, Halo Killer, or even a Battlefield killer, but if Brink is a super solid game that sells well and becomes that summer smash hit multi game, then I could see Brink 2 becoming a super hyped game that can establish Brink as a AAA front runner in the FPS genre.

I hope it succeeds. :)

All of the reasons why I want Brink so badly. This game is actually trying to do something different. Shame that more people on GAF aren't giving it the attention it deserves. It is a new IP, doing new things in the genre, but I feel this game is getting criminally over looked.

zlatko

Banned
KingDizzi said:
Oh I believed but damn the Beta was simply horrific, did not bother after about 3-4 games. That was late last year though however can't see them having made drastic changes since then but really was a huge disappointment. Concept sounded great and the reveal video was nice but Splash Damage have not managed to execute it properly...again if the Beta is anything to go by. You really should wait a couple weeks before buying, can't see the game having changes so drastically in 4 months.

Weird time to release this game, right near LA Noire. Not that game looks like utter shit but the biggie here is that game will get the R* advertising glam, RR was advertised to hell and back last year and can't see this game being any different at all. Most advertised game last year I would say besides maybe DQ IX, Take Two really do make sure everyone knows that they have a game releasing.

I'm curious what was so bad about the beta. Is it core gameplay or just online issues that can be resolved? If there is NDA just PM me as I'm curious. Also, what platform was the beta on ?

thaOwner

Darkshier said:
I think this is easily the biggest hurdle Splash Damage is facing regarding Brink. Being a New IP in the crowded shooter market, you need people to try out your game to see if they like it. Not everyone has played every Splash Damage game for hundreds of hours and knows what to expect. A demo is an absolute must for this game IMO and the lack of a demo can only hurt this game.

No demo confirmed. Hope Bethesda and Splash Damage don't whine when this game doesn't meet expectations. They should be saying sorry to themselves over that.

Thats a shame really. I loved Borderlands and this to me seems like borderlands but with a modern setting and improved graphics over all. I won't be there day but will pick it up when it gets cheaper.

I will watch more gameplay videos and see what others are saying about the game as well. If overly positive, I might get this from Amazon and check it out.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
zoner said:
I'm kind of surprised no one's complaining about the amount of preorder bonuses for this game

character clothes are no big deal. It's not like they're withholding full levels.

zoner said:
I'm kind of surprised no one's complaining about the amount of preorder bonuses for this game
There should be more outrage about them. From what I understand, those items are ONLY available through pre-order. No unlocking them later in game or even buying them through DLC. Really not liking that as there are actual weapons/items and not just cosmetic stuff. I guess it's just normal to have these pre-order bonuses now, but they are really annoying for someone who wants to try out all of the game.

alr1ghtstart said:
character clothes are no big deal. It's not like they're withholding full levels.
There are weapons and weapon attachments that are pre-order bonuses as well. They better not withhold real levels, there are only 10 of them all together to begin with.

zlatko

Banned
zoner said:

I think it was already covered in a long several page thread when it was first announced. Nothing we can do about it, and at the last no matter where you pre-order, you'll get something.

Most of it is cosmetic things anyway, but a few are in game items. They'll be DLC either day one or a month down the road, so if you weren't able to scoop up the one you really wanted, and are still playing the game, then you may as well get it as I doubt they'll be that expensive.

Yes it's a shitty thing, but it's an industry standard now. Bitching up to this point clearly hasn't stopped devs from doing it.

Darkshier said:
There should be more outrage about them. From what I understand, those items are ONLY available through pre-order. No unlocking them later in game or even buying them through DLC. Really not liking that as there are actual weapons/items and not just cosmetic stuff. I guess it's just normal to have these pre-order bonuses now, but they are really annoying for someone who wants to try out all of the game.

Most the preorder content is clothes, and then half of the weapon stuff is just skins. There's about four actual unique guns, but I'm betting you that no one will be using those past the first few levels (if they're really much different from other universally available weapons anyway).

zlatko

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
Most the preorder content is clothes, and then half of the weapon stuff is just skins. There's about four actual unique guns, but I'm betting you that no one will be using those past the first few levels (if they're really much different from other universally available weapons anyway).

Yup and the game is packed to the brim with ways to customize weapons with attachments too.

Also, those of us on Gaf are fortunate that when the game comes out, we can probably just trade codes with each other for the pack we really wanted. I want the psycho pack personally, but I may pick up the game from Best buy or Gamestop right when they open up May 10th. I am super excited for this game and now I can plan the 3 days off work then for it. :)

The upside to if this game bombs, even though it's my most anticipated game this year, is that the year has so many other shooters that also hold lots of promise. Battlefield 3, Gears 3, Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, etc.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Darkshier said:
All of the reasons why I want Brink so badly. This game is actually trying to do something different. Shame that more people on GAF aren't giving it the attention it deserves. It is a new IP, doing new things in the genre, but I feel this game is getting criminally over looked.

As a fan of Wolfenstein ET I am really looking forward to this but I don't think "criminally overlooked" is the issue so much as the timing. Half a dozen multiplayer shooters are being released between mid March and Mid June. Black Ops gets another Map Pack on May 3rd. There are a number of notable single player games coming out not the least of which are Portal 2, L.A. Noire, The Witcher 2, and Red Faction Armageddon. And yeah, I'm aware Portal 2 has the co-op going for it as well.

It seems like many publishers are vastly overestimating how many games people will buy or have time to play in a span of twelve weeks. The fact that something with such mediocre reviews like Homefront is apparently selling leaves even less room for a game like Brink to catch on with the shooter audience.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just don't have a great feeling about this game.

The graphics look great. But it's a new IP with no demo, It's already entering a crowded market, the shooting looks.. off in the trailers, and the worst part? I've yet to see much of any straight up recorded gameplay of someone who doesn't work for Bethesda/Splash Damage.

zoner said:
I just don't have a great feeling about this game.

The graphics look great. But it's a new IP with no demo, It's already entering a crowded market, the shooting looks.. off in the trailers, and the worst part? I've yet to see much of any straight up recorded gameplay of someone who doesn't work for Bethesda/Splash Damage.
Here is a 4 minute video from Pax East. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDz8bC3Ljk8
We also had a GAFer there who played and had some pretty good impressions about the game overall.

zoner said:
Red Faction has multiplayer. And THAT is criminally overlooked
So true. Armageddon is also going to be an amazing game.

Mooreberg said:
As a fan of Wolfenstein ET I am really looking forward to this but I don't think "criminally overlooked" is the issue so much as the timing. Half a dozen multiplayer shooters are being released between mid March and Mid June. Black Ops gets another Map Pack on May 3rd. There are a number of notable single player games coming out not the least of which are Portal 2, L.A. Noire, The Witcher 2, and Red Faction Armageddon. And yeah, I'm aware Portal 2 has the co-op going for it as well.

It seems like many publishers are vastly overestimating how many games people will buy or have time to play in a span of twelve weeks. The fact that something with such mediocre reviews like Homefront is apparently selling leaves even less room for a game like Brink to catch on with the shooter audience.
The release date has a huge effect on the attention Brink is getting, or lack thereof. I am glad they decided to bump up the release a week, but it does have a lot of competition in the next few months. Damn shame that there is no demo though, I just can't understand that at all.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
zoner said:
Red Faction has multiplayer. And THAT is criminally overlooked

I know it does but I don't think they are banking as heavily on that being the selling point. Red Faction Guerilla didn't seem to be all that populated after a while but it was still a successful game.

Xater

No demo for a MP game really sucks. They need to let me try it out so I can see why I should move away from all those other games.

thaOwner said:
Thats a shame really. I loved Borderlands and this to me seems like borderlands but with a modern setting and improved graphics over all. I won't be there day but will pick it up when it gets cheaper.

I will watch more gameplay videos and see what others are saying about the game as well. If overly positive, I might get this from Amazon and check it out.

Also this game is nothing like Borderlands. Borderlands is a co-op action RPG and this game is a class based shooter. They don't compare at all.

Detox

Really disappointed about there being no demo. Will wait for GAF impressions. I'm not impressed at all by those PAX videos clearly the guys playing aren't used to the game. The least SD can do is upload 10-15 minute videos of a couple of the maps being played by some of the best players in their team to show off the potential.

zlatko

Banned
Detox said:
Really disappointed about there being no demo. Will wait for GAF impressions. I'm not impressed at all by those PAX videos clearly the guys playing aren't used to the game. The least SD can do is upload 10-15 minute videos of a couple of the maps being played by some of the best players in their team to show off the potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSXr_85Ctm8&feature=related

There is a LOT of footage for this game on youtube. From people playing, to the developers being interviewed, to trailers, to gameplay footage----you name it you can find a video on it.

If you want to get excited for the game I definitely recommend taking the next 30 minutes to visit their official site and look at the videos they posted up there.

Gears 3 Beta and then this comes out the last day of finals?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

And you don't have to convince me Splash Damage, but seriously guys, you're losing out on a serious and NEEDED opportunity to put a Demo out.

Its a new IP! You really need a demo for the dudebro crowd

Xater said:
Also this game is nothing like Borderlands. Borderlands is a co-op action RPG and this game is a class based shooter. They don't compare at all.

I feel like the gunplay is going to end up similar to Borderlands. The Brink video make it look like the shotguns, pistols, and rifles have the same "feel" as their counterparts in Borderlands, if that makes any sense. Sort of plastic-y, a bit tinnish and high pitched with little autoaim.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Prophet Steve said:
Uh guys, I believe the new Red Faction does not gets a multiplayer mode. Just so you know.
Which is pretty disappointing. But I can see why they wouldn't waste their money if no one's going to play it

Detox

I just watched the 2 videos below and was slightly impressed but found myself asking where's the action at times. I then went on to realise these videos are super old and they need to do more of this but longer and on different maps.

Vid 1
Vid 2

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
LA Noire doesn't interest me and my PC-fu is weak as fuck so for The Witcher 2 I'll have to wait if CD Projekt comes through with a PS3 or X360 version. But alas, I'm also crazy poor right now so I'll await the reviews for Brink before diving in. Would be nice to get back into a co-op game with some people after we all got bored of Borderlands.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
On my GameFly Q it's @ Low Availability ROFL

Looks like the changed date affected the GF system, it thinks it's already released, 4/10 not 5/10 Heh.

Talked to a representative on the phone, stated game was released 4/10/2010 lol, I'm like no, it's still 1 month away, then was put on hold, and CS said the situation was averted, got $10 thank you bonus

Now I will get my copy fresh, new and bought for $40 (^_^)b

Dyno

I want this to be good but I've never been sold on the gunplay in all the stuff I've seen on it. Plus, Splash Damage was involved in Quake Wars: Enemy Territory and that game was terrible!

No demo, no advertising, and no meaty gameplay trailers for us to look at.

I dunno man. I dunno.

-PXG-

17th was perfect. Two days after the Gears beta. Oh well. Already got mines on pre-order. I hope this is good.

X-Frame

Game is so different than most FPS I really hope it does well. We need more games like this and less like COD/Crysis 2/KZ3, IMO.

DanielJr82

Einbroch said:
I like the light blue.

Better than blue/orange crap.
I was just going to write something like this, except I actually like the blue and orange mix from time to time. I think the Brink boxart looks cool none the less, though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
zoner said:
Which is pretty disappointing. But I can see why they wouldn't waste their money if no one's going to play it
They should make the MP in Red Faction: Guerrilla free on the PC like FEAR Combat. It was vastly underrated.

On topic, I hope they have a genius marketing plan because Brink is going to have a rough uphill battle as an MP/bot match game. I can understand why THQ hyped the SP in Homefront even though the MP was vastly superior.

Rei_Toei said:
Did Darksiders and Borderlands get a lot of marketing?

I don't think they got any more than Brink is getting and they were kind of cult hits. But hopefully (for an mp-focused game that needs players) there will be more players around for longer than either of those games.

I would say the Splash Damage faithful will keep the game afloat in a niche way - but ET lives on mostly because it didn't fragment the base across three platforms and also supported mods. Brink doesn't have either going for it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Rei_Toei said:

Borderlands had plenty of commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1omVnfGVYw&feature=related

This was played too fucking much, "Ain't no rest for the Wicked...." and transitions into guy blowing his mind by the way of using his imaginary hand-gun

Darksiders... not so much, saw it maybe twice during release week, never again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I6x-6dwN4s

<3 Bayonetta, that commercial was pushed super heavily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPJTf01_W1Q

The TV ad pushed me over the edge to buy it, then made fall in love with LaRoux's In for the Kill (Skream Remix)

Raide

Rei_Toei said:

I don't remember seeing that much for Borderlands but the internet buzz seemed to do the job. Plus the addition DLC kept people talking about the game way after the launch and kept people playing.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Raide said:
I don't remember seeing that much for Borderlands but the internet buzz seemed to do the job. Plus the addition DLC kept people talking about the game way after the launch and kept people playing.

Yeah, there was definitely more buzz for Borderlands then Brink. Borderlands and Darksiders came to mind since both were pretty succesful last year despite being new IPs.

If Brink delivers, I hope it gets the same support from the community. It looks and sounds great. Borderlands ended up being disappointing in the story department - I wonder if Brink is going the same route (sacrificing story for co-op jump-in/jump-out playability). I'm kinda hoping it won't and have a decent story since the world is quite original.

Top Bottom