• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink moved up to May 10th (US) | May 13th (EU)

DaBuddaDa said:
Demos are a part of marketing, EINSTEIN.

But marketing doesn't require a demo... people need to stop saying 'omg sent to die' just because there isn't a demo, it's bollocks and they know it

thaOwner

Xater said:
Also this game is nothing like Borderlands. Borderlands is a co-op action RPG and this game is a class based shooter. They don't compare at all.

Definitely need a demo now to decide whether I'm getting it or not.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Green Scar said:
But marketing doesn't require a demo... people need to stop saying 'omg sent to die' just because there isn't a demo, it's bollocks and they know it

Do you think Call of Duty: Modern Warfare would have done as well without a demo?!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
commish said:
Do you think Call of Duty: Modern Warfare would have done as well without a demo?!
Yes?

I'm in the camp that believes Brink needs a demo to push itself out there. Get people playing it early so they tell their friends to pick it up, that is how multiplayer games work.

Kusagari

Most new IPs are being sent to die if they don't get a demo. Unless you spend millions of dollars on advertising like with Homefront, which Brink isn't getting, a demo is easily the best way to convince people to buy your unfamiliar game.

Look at how well it worked for BioShock and made a franchise.

Lunchbox

Banned
Rei_Toei said:
Yeah, there was definitely more buzz for Borderlands then Brink. Borderlands and Darksiders came to mind since both were pretty succesful last year despite being new IPs.

If Brink delivers, I hope it gets the same support from the community. It looks and sounds great. Borderlands ended up being disappointing in the story department - I wonder if Brink is going the same route (sacrificing story for co-op jump-in/jump-out playability). I'm kinda hoping it won't and have a decent story since the world is quite original.
-its coming out during the Gears3 beta
-a week before 2 high profile games
-no hype/no buzz
-no demo

yeah this will light up the charts

commish said:

Dunno, it'd probably have done decently, Call of Duty was a proven name by then, and the reason Modern Warfare sent the CoD brand value into the stratosphere was a lot to do with word-of-mouth as well as the initial sales push. The demo helped, of course. Anywho, bad example, this is more to do with new IPs.

My point being: demos aren't the be-all and end-all of a game's success. Not saying demos hardly matter, but more just fighting the view that demos are essential. I know comparing MP game to SP game is weird, but hey, apparently Assassin's Creed 1 didn't have a demo, and look how well that did.

StuBurns

Banned
The game isn't going to do well, I hope it was cheap to make, but given how long it's taken I doubt it.

A demo isn't even really going to help. It's a co-op and competitive class based shooter with minimal single player. What was the last one Shadowrun? That was from a first party and it did nothing at retail. This is also coming into an insane release window.

Detox

Green Scar said:
My point being: demos aren't the be-all and end-all of a game's success.

For a new IP FPS looking to take players away from COD and Halo the only way it can actually really hurt those games is by blowing away people with a demo. As people have said the Bioshock demo and the COD 4 beta were massive successes. Apart from Borderlands I can't think of one FPS that set the charts alight without a demo or beta.

StuBurns said:
A demo isn't even really going to help. It's a co-op and competitive class based shooter with minimal single player. What was the last one Shadowrun? That was from a first party and it did nothing at retail. This is also coming into an insane release window.
Nobody wants a singleplayer demo, they want a multiplayer one.

commish

StuBurns said:
The game isn't going to do well, I hope it was cheap to make, but given how long it's taken I doubt it.

MAG was MP only and a new IP. Sold over a million.

StuBurns

Banned
commish said:
MAG was MP only and a new IP. Sold over a million.
Over a million isn't very impressive in a world where that only garners around $27M. Sony don't pay first party royalties though, so it's less bad, more like $35M, that game probably broke even.

commish

StuBurns said:
Over a million isn't very impressive in a world where that only garners around $27M. Sony don't pay first party royalties though, so it's less bad, more like $35M, that game probably broke even.

So now only 3 million is a success? 5 million? 10 million? There sure are a lot of unsuccessful games released :(

StuBurns

Banned
commish said:
So now only 3 million is a success? 5 million? 10 million? There sure are a lot of unsuccessful games released :(
It depends on the budget. If Brink can be produced and marketed for less than twenty million, I imagine it'll be profitable, and they can hopefully get a nice user base to sell DLC to. Then maybe they get a green light for a sequel with a more involved single player, then the name is a little better known etc. It can gather speed over time. Dead Space wasn't really worth making in terms of money as a single product, but if the publisher is willing to invest in building an IP, the series can ultimately be a lot more rewarding.

I don't Brink will do well, but I don't think it's going to kill the studio or anything. People want to keep pushing triple A titles, they're going to have to wait longer to make a lot of cash.

Detox said:
For a new IP FPS looking to take players away from COD and Halo the only way they can actually really hurt those games is by blowing away people with a demo.

I do think this is the case, it was more just me being fed up with a benderdoooooomed.jpg reaction whenever a game launches without a demo. For Brink, it'll definitely be an uphill struggle (and then some) without one. Still, it's not impossible for it to succeed, with a decent marketing push anyway. Bethesda ain't got nothing else to promote at the moment...

StuBurns said:

Here's a weird thing- with everyone and their mum always talking about how games nowadays are all multiplayer driven, thanks to the success of COD multiplayer and such, why the hell aren't people interested in MP-only FPSs? Seriously, they NEVER seem to do well. Kinda baffling. Perhaps they're seen as too intimidating? I'm not sure.

Clott

May is about this and the Witcher 2, people complain about the dumbed down stagnant state of the market, well guess what? If you want change we need this to be good.

Why support LA noir over this? We have seen that game many times before, from GTA to Mafia, been there done that. Sure neither games are out now so it's hard to make a call, but if I had to, Brink would be it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
<brushes aside current, boring topic>

So, is PC GAF going to hit this game up? I've been looking for a good companion game to TF2 and this one could be it according to hands on reports.

Man, I wonder how much money Valve has made off TF2 now...

D2M15 said:
They've got Hunted a couple of weeks later (three weeks later, now, I guess.)

Oh yeah, that thing. Gears of Warcraft right? Totally forgot about it. Hope Bethesda gets the word out, it looked fairly good.

commish

StuBurns said:
It depends on the budget. If Brink can be produced and marketed for less than twenty million, I imagine it'll be profitable, and they can hopefully get a nice user base to sell DLC to. Then maybe they get a green light for a sequel with a more involved single player, then the name is a little better known etc. It can gather speed over time. Dead Space wasn't really worth making in terms of money as a single product, but if the publisher is willing to invest in building an IP, the series can ultimately be a lot more rewarding.

I don't Brink will do well, but I don't think it's going to kill the studio or anything. People want to keep pushing triple A titles, they're going to have to wait longer to make a lot of cash.

That's just common sense - of course it depends on the budget. And, of course, a new IP can lead to a great selling franchise, regardless of how the first in the series sells (there are a ton of examples). I don't know (or care, really) if Brink will do well or not, but I don't agree that the lack of demo, or SP mode, spells doom for the game. SOCOM, Battlefield, MAG, Warhawk, etc all seem to have done alright without a SP.

kamspy

PC GAF reporting in. After blind buying Homefront I'm never playing another FPS ever again. Sorry Brink. I'd like to take a chance on you, but I'm still too vulnerable.

StuBurns

Banned
Green Scar said:
Here's a weird thing- with everyone and their mum always talking about how games nowadays are all multiplayer driven, thanks to the success of COD multiplayer and such, why the hell aren't people interested in MP-only FPSs? Seriously, they NEVER seem to do well. Kinda baffling. Perhaps they're seen as too intimidating? I'm not sure.
I think they're way more intimidating. If you think of the experience a player new to online has with MW2, they can play the single player campaign, that's five or six hours, maybe play thru again on hard, another six or seven, maybe take on the co-op stuff with a friend, you can spend ten hours in there getting lots of stars, then maybe do some team deathmatch, no pressure to player in a real team, then slowly build people know over time before going into the more team work demanding stuff. With Brink it's just get on with it, play together or fail, from the start.

Even if you think of all the people now comfortable with the MW objective suite, they're still going into a very different game almost blind. I just think it's not as welcoming as other games. Especially as this has that focus on traversal, it's not completely unprecedented it's like Mirror's Edge's move set with Assassin's Creeds accessibility in terms of controls, but that's still a small pool of players. In that regard actually, I think a demo would have helped.

commish said:
That's just common sense - of course it depends on the budget. And, of course, a new IP can lead to a great selling franchise, regardless of how the first in the series sells (there are a ton of examples). I don't know (or care, really) if Brink will do well or not, but I don't agree that the lack of demo, or SP mode, spells doom for the game. SOCOM, Battlefield, MAG, Warhawk, etc all seem to have done alright without a SP.
I don't think a lack of demo or SP spells doom for a game. I think it spells doom for a game with a significant budget that's been in development as long as Brink has.

FINALBOSS

Banned
You know...I really want to like this game but I honestly feel it's just going to fall by the waist-side and become a Shadowrun type of game.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Clott said:
May is about this and the Witcher 2, people complain about the dumbed down stagnant state of the market, well guess what? If you want change we need this to be good.

Why support LA noir over this? We have seen that game many times before, from GTA to Mafia, been there done that. Sure neither games are out now so it's hard to make a call, but if I had to, Brink would be it.
What are you talking about? LA Noire is an investigate/interrogate mystery style game. What other game is like it?

Brink is Splash Damage rehashing Enemy Territory again.

Xater

Clott said:

I see, you totally have kept up with everything LA Noire....

Sorry So far Rockstar/Take 2 is getting my May money. As much as I would like Brink to be good just looking at it is not going to sell the game to me. I have to try it and see for myself if this has the potential to be fun for hundreds of hours online.

Yeah, I pretty much have to agree Stu. I thought about the angle of 'using campaigns as training for MP', but I thought that's somewhat irrelevant due to the scripted nature of campaigns. I guess all people want to know is the controls though. I wanted a Brink demo just to mess around with SMART. :/

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
kamspy said:
PC GAF reporting in. After blind buying Homefront I'm never playing another FPS ever again. Sorry Brink. I'd like to take a chance on you, but I'm still too vulnerable.

I knew Homefront would fuck up a lot of people, but Homefront was your own fault. Was made by Kaos Studios? They've only made one other game called Frontlines: Fuel of War which was a stinker.

In comparison, Splash Damage made the two award winning Enemy Territory games which were very good fun. The developer pedigrees could not be more different.

Hopefully Brink is great and word of mouth does it well. Especially on PC.

commish

StuBurns said:
I don't think a lack of demo or SP spells doom for a game. I think it spells doom for a game with a significant budget that's been in development as long as Brink has.

What is Brink's budget?

Makoto

kamspy said:

I almost had this mindset about Brink after purchasing Homefront on PC but I have confidence in Brink in that Splash Damage is a proven developer. I've already pre-ordered Brink on PC.

Pete Rock

No demo & release date changes, why hast though forsaken SD, Bethesda?

I really want it to do well but the marketing materials thus far have been lacking any sort of hype factor, as though they don't care about selling it to people who aren't already informed about it or already receptive to their list of features.

Dance In My Blood said:
That is unfortunately my current takeaway, yes.

A demo would have proved it one way or the other, but I guess we'll have to wait for a reviewer who probably never played ET to let us know.

StuBurns

Banned
commish said:
What is Brink's budget?
I don't know. I actually wrote a different sentence because I misread your post then changed it and forgot to remove that bit. It's 'significant', but then basically everything is so that's meaningless.

I'm desperately looking for a new multi-player game to replace Team Fortress 2, a public beta or a demo would've gone miles selling me on Brink.

Genesis Knight said:
Hopefully the reviews come out early enough to decide to keep/cancel the preorder.

If you were to review the overall hype for this game, what would that score be?

And there you have your review scores a whole month ahead of time.

If you were to look at how many gaffers go "omg, my body is ready" or equivalent statements about how great a game is before they even play it, there is your gaf reception months ahead of time.

You can thank me later.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Lunchbox said:
-no hype/no buzz
-no demo

Portal 2
Gears Beta
LA Noire
Summer

yep, no time for me to spend money on some unknown game. sorry.

commish

vidal said:
I almost had this mindset about Brink after purchasing Homefront on PC but I have confidence in Brink in that Splash Damage is a proven developer. I've already pre-ordered Brink on PC.

Homefront's MP was pretty good. Don't know why you guys are hating on it. S ure, there were (are) bugs and issues, but I thought the gameplay was better than most.

Lunchbox said:
-no hype/no buzz
-no demo

I think you're overrating the month. L.A Noir has "RENT ME" written all over it and the Witcher is a PC exclusive. Sales should be fine if the marketing is there and the game is actually good.

As for the game? What the hell is with the animations? My god...

StuBurns said:

You have no idea about the game's budget, for all we know it made good profit along with anything made off dlc and such. The game had very little marketing spent on it either.

Green Scar said:

Game has had zero marketing and hype at this point, a demo would basically be it's biggest marketing push at this point. "omg sent to die", well yea it seems like it so far.

StuBurns

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
You have no idea about the game's budget, for all we know it made good profit along with anything made off dlc and such. The game had very little marketing spent on it either.
Which game? Dead Space? EA discussed their dissatisfaction with it and Mirror's Edge's performance very publicly.

If you mean Brink and you're for some reason speaking in the past tense. I don't know the budget no. I know that it costs a lot to pay seventy professional staff for four years working in London.

EDIT: Oh MAG, I said it probably broke even, hardly a controversial opinion, it very likely did. Break even doesn't mean exactly by the way, it just means in the black, it could make a ton and still break even.

Clott

Dance In My Blood said:
What are you talking about? LA Noire is an investigate/interrogate mystery style game. What other game is like it?

I have been keeping up with it, and the whole investigation part looks very shallow, it's them kind of trying to smear ace attourney on GTA.

The only interesting thing is the motion capture and that will get old fast. While brink gives you a deep and customizable experience. All I am saying is we have seen a lot more of the la noir thing than the brink thing.

DaBuddaDa

StuBurns said:
If you mean Brink and you're for some reason speaking in the past tense. I don't know the budget no. I know that it costs a lot to pay seventy professional staff for four years working in London.
That's at least around 15-20 million USD in salary and benefits alone.

Dabanton

I like the whole style of the game but... it's just not grabbing me from the videos it looks and i hate to say this a little boring.

This has 'i'll be £20 pounds within 3 weeks' written all over it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Clott said:

Wait.. A puzzle solving, adventure/action game is dumbed down and cliche

but a class based online fps isn't? ... what?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Dabanton said:
I like the whole style of the game but... it's just not grabbing me from the videos it looks and i hate to say this a little boring.

This has 'i'll be £20 pounds within 3 weeks' written all over it.
This.

Are people who have preordered this game for $60/£40 actually sane? This game is highly likely to drop like a stone, why not wait a little while and pick the game up for a much cheaper price? You could even spend the money you saved on getting another game in addition.

daffy

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
On my GameFly Q it's @ Low Availability ROFL

Looks like the changed date affected the GF system, it thinks it's already released, 4/10 not 5/10 Heh.

Talked to a representative on the phone, stated game was released 4/10/2010 lol, I'm like no, it's still 1 month away, then was put on hold, and CS said the situation was averted, got $10 thank you bonus
Nice! I just noticed that as well, probably too late for any sort of bonus at this point though :(

Mr_Brit said:
This.

Are people who have preordered this game for $60/£40 actually sane? This game is highly likely to drop like a stone, why not wait a little while and pick the game up for a much cheaper price? You could even spend the money you saved on getting another game in addition.
I have been waiting for this game for a long time now and want to play it as soon as I can. I'm really hoping there is a Steam pre-load for Brink.

cjelly said:
They have been super quiet on this game.

Too quiet.

There are a lot of hands on previews and videos around for Brink. What do you want to know about it?

commish

Mr_Brit said:
This.

Because $20 isn't a big deal?

Mr_Brit said:
This.

I've been super hyped for this game since I first saw the trailers. I preordered on Amazon and am getting a $10 credit on it so I'm only paying $50, really. Plus since everyone is expecting this game to become a wasteland, I want to get it as soon as possible to try and fully enjoy the multiplayer experience.

Of course, people who expect the multiplayer to die out quickly are just making it a self-fulfilling prophecy if they don't buy it.

Top Bottom