• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Not particularly, but taking a few days away from NeoGAF isn't really going to change anything, for better or worse. I'm still in the same place mentally minus the 'whining' on WhatsApp.
To be fair dude, no-one accused you of whining. You've reached that conclusion all on your own.
Absolutely no sympathy for Tashbrooke's Charlie. We only saw his life through the tiny window Tash opened for us, but even based on just that, he totally deserved what happened to him. You reap what you sow, and for some people that means losing nearly everything before they realize they need to change their ways. Anything less and he likely would have taken it for granted all over again and gone back to his old ways. And what has he lost really? The place to stay and pub job were helpful but not exactly once in a lifetime opportunities. And the girlfriend apparently never truly cared about him at all seeing how quick she's moved on, or at least was turned away so much from his behavior that she doesn't care about all his losses. We've all screwed up and pissed away opportunities, hopefully the Navy or whatever he does gives him a fresh start.
I agree. Well said JB.
Didn't feel anything with The Eraser and Black Swan. 4 minutes pass by and I'm wondering when will this get interesting. Just seemed hallow.

Harrowdown Hill, on the other hand, had this candle ambient chill feel to it. no OTT guitar but a little to compliment the song, bit of piano. abrupt ending. Thought that one was the most interesting track out of the three.
Fair dinkum innit brah.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
How will you feel when this happens to you?

Believe it or not I have lost my home, my job and my friends all at once. Although I didn't have a girlfriend at the time and it wasn't really consequences of my own actions that caused it to happen. It does really, really hurt for a long time.

But then you start again. That's the only choice you have really. For me it meant not relying so heavily upon people I couldn't trust. Hopefully for this Charlie fellow it means cleaning his act up and developing better attitudes and habits.

Cheers Jordan

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm going to have to find some private work this coming month, or I'm not going to be able to afford a PS4. Which I don't NEED...but I REALLY want one.

Anyone need their PC looking at?

Out of interest, how much would you charge to set up my spare PC? I basically need my hard drives moved over to a new machine and have it set up so it can run. Maybe even with a new install of windows because atm I'm running a version of XP that MS need to remind me daily is counterfeit. Could probably use a bit more RAM as well. I have no idea what gfx card I have.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Not particularly, but taking a few days away from NeoGAF isn't really going to change anything, for better or worse. I'm still in the same place mentally minus the 'whining' on WhatsApp.

I think it's more that you're super oblique, man. We don't know what's up with you beyond some drive-by "I'm sad" posts. We can help the best we can, but we're not so much a support group as a bunch of twats who talk self-interestedly over each other most of the time :p tbh we don't know you well enough to offer much in the way of meaningful advice beyond "cheer up, eh?" because what can you do to help a depressed person over the internet.

But that said, if you were to lay out more clearly what's upsetting you then maybe we could relate and share experiences.

Jordan

Out of interest, how much would you charge to set up my spare PC? I basically need my hard drives moved over to a new machine and have it set up so it can run. Maybe even with a new install of windows because atm I'm running a version of XP that MS need to remind me daily is counterfeit. Could probably use a bit more RAM as well. I have no idea what gfx card I have.

I'll undercut Mike by a fiver :p <3 (I kid, but I do need some money too)

No probs JB

It won't because he won't act like a cunt given an opportunity that some people would fight for. He wouldn't attack his SO whilst drunk and I doubt he would be an overall cunt.

I sort of feel liek tash's life has turned into this reality tv show where we all share our thoughts and feelings about a contestant's recent elimination.

Rich!

You know,

I'm tempted to join the Navy. I'd have to get my physical fitness back up to scratch, but surely as someone with a degree, I should have at least some chance of getting in on a decent role?

You know,

I'm tempted to join the Navy. I'd have to get my physical fitness back up to scratch, but surely as someone with a degree, I should have at least some chance of getting in on a decent role?

From my in depth knowledge of the British Navy, I can tell you that being a sailor is great if you like drinking, being shouted at, mopping and getting bummed on the poop deck

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
From my in depth knowledge of the British Navy, I can tell you that being a sailor is great if you like drinking, being shouted at, mopping and getting bummed on the poop deck

I don't mind the bumming so much, but I couldn't hack being stuck on a boat for months with people who, chances are, I wouldn't get along fabulously with. Apart from when we were bumming.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I sort of feel liek tash's life has turned into this reality tv show where we all share our thoughts and feelings about a contestant's recent elimination.
Holy shit you just stumbled upon a goldmine. Truman Show style starring Tashbrooke living his life without knowing everything and everyone around him are just set pieces and actors would be amazing.

"I really feel like he missed an opportunity to bang that local, she was eyeing him up all night but he was too busy fiddling with his phone to realize."

And yet that's exactly what it felt like you were doing.

Like I said on WhatsApp, I was a fool to think I could expect any sort of moral support from any of you.

Actually I think you'll find that after your post about your daughter I did post trying to offer help and advice, but you didn't even acknowledge it let alone respond.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Like I said on WhatsApp, I was a fool to think I could expect any sort of moral support from any of you.

Yes, you were a fool. Why would you expect moral support from strangers? And why provide them with spotty or vague information? 75% of people will ignore these posts, others will wonder what is up, a couple will ask, most will find it annoying. If you want sarcastic strangers to lend you an ear, then the least you could do is open up and say wassup.

But that sulky tone you're taking helps nobody.

Symphonia

Banned
Actually I think you'll find that after your post about your daughter I did post trying to offer help and advice, but you didn't even acknowledge it let alone respond.
Actually, I did acknowledge it. I read it, let it sink in and then went for a walk to try and clear my head. It didn't help (the head clearing walk) but, yeah. I don't know. Maybe I should take a break for a week or two.

NinjaBoiX

Well actually, I'm pretty sure I said, "he was understandably upset" and "we'll try to help out best we can", but yeah, whatever.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Java is my nightmare. C++ has been challenging enough for me as a beginner, I can't even imagine Java yet what with the horror stories I've heard.
http://youtu.be/xQT4qB-RFjk
i'm kaneda, the clique is tetsuo mutating into a gigantic fleshy robot baby thing (mikeside)
This video contains content from Funimation Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Nobody truly deserves to go through such a horrible time, especially if their actions weren't entirely intentional. I'm sure Charlie could've done better had he applied himself, sure, but he didn't deserve to lose his job, his girlfriend and his accommodation in one go. I mean, talk about kicking a man when he's down.
The thing is you can pity him like I do, but everything he got was what he deserved, period.
Absolutely no sympathy for Tashbrooke's Charlie. We only saw his life through the tiny window Tash opened for us, but even based on just that, he totally deserved what happened to him. You reap what you sow, and for some people that means losing nearly everything before they realize they need to change their ways. Anything less and he likely would have taken it for granted all over again and gone back to his old ways. And what has he lost really? The place to stay and pub job were helpful but not exactly once in a lifetime opportunities. And the girlfriend apparently never truly cared about him at all seeing how quick she's moved on, or at least was turned away so much from his behavior that she doesn't care about all his losses. We've all screwed up and pissed away opportunities, hopefully the Navy or whatever he does gives him a fresh start.If you were around these parts I'd have you look at my computer to help unlock the full potential of my coolermaster.

shorty - don't let twat enthusiasm keep you away from a great band. If you genuinely don't like them that's cool, but it's sorta incomprehensible to me.
Better than I could have put it

I lol'd hard, it has been a dramatic few months

SKINNER!

Banned
shorty - don't let twat enthusiasm keep you away from a great band. If you genuinely don't like them that's cool, but it's sorta incomprehensible to me.

I'm open to all music and will never turn away a song recommendation if it was offered to me by a person who's passionate about it. And there have been many bands I initially disliked that I then eventually enjoyed . All it takes for me is that one great song where I'll repeatedly listen to it over and over again until my curiousity entices me to look for more track. Never understood why Kendrick Lamar was adored until I instantly liked HiiiPower. Always puzzled me how Illmatic was considered a masterpiece until I heard "It Ain't Hard to Tell". If you have asked me a couple of years ago if I enjoyed songs by chvrches, air, band of horses, pendulum or - hell - even Daft Punk (never understood them until I heard Discovery in its entirety) I'd laughed it off and said I don't listen to that shit. Nowadays I'll listen to practically anything. Fans of all types of music (indie, metal, rap etc) can be annoying in their own way. There's probably going to be a Radiohead track that'll come along at a party or bar where I'll be like "this is great!" and it'll encourage me to look into them. I'm not going to dismiss their music immediately because they are Radiohead. Just to balance things out, I don't understand the hype behind the Gorillaz. Bought the first album when I was in my teens and only enjoyed the single tracks (19-2000 soulchild remix is such a great remix). Demon Days comes out and - again - I only liked Dirty Harry. Granted, it's been a long time since I heard Demon Days but I was like "I must be missing something. Gorillaz are ok guys. Nothing more". But yeah, I just find it really hard to like/enjoy a band just because they are widely adored. It's quite a personal connection kinda thing if that makes sense.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
A lot to digest there but I feel what you are saying. Always seemed like an open-minded bloke and your musical taste definitely reflects that. Radiohead fandom outside of Creep & In Rainbows hipsters always felt off-the-beaten path to me as an American. Obvious that is less the case in Britain as OK Computer might as well be an anthem for you guys the way it is universally adored. Your comment about Discovery makes me think listening to Plastic Beach in its entirety might help break you into the Gorillaz. I'll have to ponder the Radiohead equation a bit more before I recommend a song or album.

For radiohead I jumped in quite late as a fan, first album was Hail to the Thief that I got right after it came out for Christmas. But it hit me at just the right time in my life and I became enraptured fairly quickly after that as I listened to it and Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness on the plane ride to move to the UK from the US for 3 years.

NinjaBoiX

OK, Shorty, I've been kind of spamming YouTube links today, but I'm just sure there is some Radiohead tracks for you. They have some rocking shit in their catalogue, it's not all shoegazing melancholia. I've avoided obvious ones like Just and Paranoid Android as you've probably already heard them.

Bones

Electioneering

Bodysnatchers

SmokyDave

I liked Radiohead from Pablo Honey onwards, but the track that tipped me over into fucking loving them was 'Exit Music (For a Film)'. I'll never get tired of hearing that track, and the usage at the end of Kieran Prendeville's 'Care' was so powerful that I thought my head was going to explode in a shower of tears. I still haven't been moved like that by any piece of media since.

NinjaBoiX

I liked Radiohead from Pablo Honey onwards, but the track that tipped me over into fucking loving them was 'Exit Music (For a Film)'. I'll never get tired of hearing that track, and the usage at the end of Kieran Prendeville's 'Care' was so powerful that I thought my head was going to explode in a shower of tears. I still haven't been moved like that by any piece of media since.
The most moved I've ever been by music (admittedly with the help of primo drugs) was during a DJ Shadow gig at The Sage. It was in the car park for some reason, but it was a nice day and the sound system was amazing so all was well.

Erikah Badu and Cut Chemist opened wonderfully, the man himself came out, the crowd went wild, and we all promptly double dropped. Cue half an hour of crazy pilled up dancing to some of his more upbeat stuff (Drums of Death, Nursery Rhyme, Mashin' on the Motorway, etc). I was sweating like hell and just needed a breather, but I just couldn't stop!

But then I heard that familiar sample "producing" from the start of Building Steam (my favourite track of his), I tipped my head back arms outstretched by way of admiration, then just as the piano came in, the most refreshing summer shower rained down on me. It was perfectly timed, and being off my face, I took it as an almost religious experience. I almost wept.

DJ Shadow - Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt

Damn, that guy got some skills.

Edit: he was throwing a load of extra samples and scratches throughout, with loads of "whatchu gun do now?" from Monosylabik. It's was epic.

"whatchu gun do now?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom