• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British intelligence and NSA considered possibly capturing Kinect webcam traffic

Oersted

If you are thinking Minority Report style of preventing attacks...No, but it helps understand what happened during the event. This is the current state of surveillance industry: watching things unfold... still valuable.

Dafuq dude? Where the effing hell are you getting Minority Report from? Getting spies into terrorist cells, tapping actual suspects. Acceptable spy stuff. Not spying on every existence which dared to live.

Dylan

If you're still using Yahoo chat then I have every reason to believe you are detrimental to society in some fashion and likely a threat to global security.

GobFather

Dafuq dude? Where the effing hell are you getting Minority Report from? Getting spies into terrorist cells, tapping actual suspects. Acceptable spy stuff. Not spying on every existence which dared to live.

lol yes minority report is extreme and I wanted to make an extreme point. My point was that, there will never be enough "surveillance" to prevent every terrorist attacks because to get that "good" will require way too much. So yes, the normal spy stuff is what I would recommend as well to prevent terrorist attacks. My other point was that spying everyone in existence, doesn't have to do with stopping terrorism. BUT, it will become valuable as "needed". The same as a surveillance camera, where it will be useless majority of time. I am not saying, its OK to spy everyone in existence.

Beardz

I'm wondering if the responses saying something like "lol who cares?! I'm not building bombs" are real or they're saying that because their favorite brand / console is being "attacked".

GobFather

Smartphones and computers are even better. More people have them.

Smartphone can do many things but Kinect is good at what it does. (as I stated before :p) Smartphones and computers are great too! Which is why no one is saying, Kinect will become the only source. It's another great option.

It is about closing in on all the little corners that are left for free living untouched by surveillance.
You can already see the law initiatives to install intelligent GPS tracker/blackboxes into the next generation of cars. In the EU that will probably be mandatory in the next 3 years.
Of course they will sell it as a safety device against accidents to the conservative public.
Cars must have made the spooks nervous. No smartphone used, ability to quickly travel vast distances without proper tracking, CAN'T have that.

agreed.

klaus

Smartphones and computers are even better. More people have them.

Well, Kinect is really damn efficient in analyzing and tracking biometric data (people are even setting it up in a way that it gets a perfect view of their whole body), so the data it generates is indeed far more valuable than that of other sources..

But then again, if I was a terrorist, I wouldn't exactly run into the next shop in order to buy an infrared camera that scans my whole living room ;)

TheKayle

Banned

GobFather

Well, Kinect is really damn efficient in analyzing and tracking biometric data (people are even setting it up in a way that it gets a perfect view of their whole body), so the data it generates is indeed far more valuable than that of other sources..

But then again, if I was a terrorist, I wouldn't exactly run into the next shop in order to buy an infrared camera that scans my whole living room ;)

People think as long as they are not terrorist or do terrorist activity.. its cool. But as you can see Terrorist are the LEAST of all people to use kinect, webcam, smartphones and etc. because they OBVIOUSLY know they can be tracked. The NSA usage will not necessarily be for what we think as terrorism because terrorism is such a broad word yet many have a narrow view of what terrorism is... which makes it that much scarier :eek:

webcams are in mobile phones/pcs/consoles/tablets/laptops/tvs/etcetcetcetcetc ..and etc etc etc and etc etc...

kinect isnt the problem....

OR, you can say it's PART of the problem.

Yoda

There is no reason to single out the kinect. If you broadcast webcam data over the internet... Then the intelligence agencies will take it. Given the amount of revelations no one should be shocked.

Drunk Zeppelin

Neo Member

From my interpretation of the article the webcams were intercepted when they were broadcasting over the internet. Does the biometric data stay local to the xbox? Also considering that the xbox one sales are less than 5 million wouldnt this number be too small and considered a waste of time for people to put the effort into hacking?

Sydle

They're not collecting Kinect stuff yet? I've been using Dance Central and Xbox Fitness nude all this time for nothing! Bah!

Xenon

So it's basically all web camera traffic, but the OP needed to single out Kinect. Business as usual I suppose.

You'd have to be pretty naive at this point to not believe that there's a fairly good chance that the kinects et. all are being used to record and store images, video, and audio of you and your home.

Well at least you left it open, but I would argue the odds are against that. There would have to be an app to broadcast that information. It most certainly would be something that someone could see if they monitored their network. So rather than talk down to people with some pulled out of your ass theory, why don't you go find some kind of proof of this. Mkay.

Ominym

Banned
It's the NSA's job to research any and all ways to spy on any and everyone. Of course the Kinect was considered. Of course any camera on any device connected to the internet was considered. It's what they do. It isn't newsworthy to talk about whether or not they considered it, because of course they have.

GobFather

So it's basically all web camera traffic, but the OP needed to single out Kinect. Business as usual I suppose.

Well at least you left it open, but I would argue the odds are against that. There would have to be an app to broadcast that information. It most certainly would be something that someone could see if they monitored their network. So rather than talk down to people with some pulled out of your ass theory, why don't you go find some kind of proof of this. Mkay.

if you said ALL web camera traffic, which includes kinect... right?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Talk about a horrible job. Presumably this stuff gets binned by software but there have to be humans out there reviewing any hits. Sit at your desk, watch some of the worst home videos the Internet is capable of producing.

If it was possible, they did it. I mean, I'd have to ask the doubters in this thread why you believe they captured all these other private information sources but left Kinect alone?

I just ask because, for some strange reason, whenever this topic surfaces many posters focus solely on the Kinect and conveniently ignore the PSEye, the WiiU Pad, the PS Vita, their laptop cams, their webcams and of course the cameras in their mobile phones. It can't be because this is a gaming site, since every single device mentioned plays games. So is it a) because the Kinect has some eerie similarities to the setup in 1984 or is it b) because M$ surely is evil (edit) or is it even c) people don't want to accept the reality and blame a certain device they don't own in order to feel more comfortable?
The Kinect comes with every new Xbox, the Wii U Pad obviously does as well but the number of Wii U/PS Vita/PS Eyes out in the wild pale in comparison to the amount of Kinects now/will be sold. This is the gaming side so webcams/phones are not going to be a part of the discussion.

Xenon

if you said ALL web camera traffic, which includes kinect... right?

Yes, but that's the point. The thread title could have said "British intelligence and NSA considered possibly capturing Move webcam traffic" But of course that would never happen since all these tin foil hat threads focus on Kinect, and more importantly MS.

Yes, but that's the point. The thread title could have said "British intelligence and NSA considered possibly capturing Move webcam traffic" But of course that would never happen since all these tin foil hat threads focus on Kinect, and more importantly MS.

Move bombed. Nobody even has those hooked up anymore. It's probably questionable whether the NSA even bothered to intercept it, considering it was an abject failure.

klaus

From my interpretation of the article the webcams were intercepted when they were broadcasting over the internet. Does the biometric data stay local to the xbox? Also considering that the xbox one sales are less than 5 million wouldnt this number be too small and considered a waste of time for people to put the effort into hacking?

Apparently the data stays local:
To sign in to the Xbox One using facial recognition, the Kinect’s camera measures the distance “between key points on your face to create a numeric value that represents only you.” The “very long set of numbers” that represents a user’s face remains local on the Xbox One console and is not shared.
http://www.ibtimes.com/microsoft-ex...inect-collects-your-private-data-msft-1454488

The Kinect comes with every new Xbox, the Wii U Pad obviously does as well but the number of Wii U/PS Vita/PS Eyes out in the wild pale in comparison to the amount of Kinects now/will be sold. This is the gaming side so webcams/phones are not going to be a part of the discussion.

Did you have a look at smartphone (those nifty devices with builtin camera, microphone and GPS receiver) sales numbers lately? Oh I heard there is one or two guys playing games on those thingies, there might even be a thread or two about smartphone games on gaf :)

Move bombed. Nobody even has those hooked up anymore. It's probably questionable whether the NSA even bothered to intercept it, considering it was an abject failure.
Al Qaida investing in Move (and NavControllers or w/e they are called!) confirmed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The NSA has shown time and time again that they take no issue with spying on dissidents and citizens. We should expect them to use any and all means to monitor and control us. I say this not out of cynicism or conspiracy, but in light of recent history.

Domdev

Banned

Yes, because the NSA somehow knew those products were going to bomb.

GobFather

This is gaming forum, hence we talk about kinect... Right?

Yes, because the NSA somehow knew those products were going to bomb.

I think the point is that only one video game company completely changed direction and put all their effort behind camera technology, even to the extent of force bundling it in their new system.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
S¡mon;102488696 said:
It is pretty normal that governments intercept webcam data, including Kinect.
Normal as of the past year or so (since we found out about it). Scary that some are already accepting this as the new normal.

Domdev

Banned
I think the point is that only one video game company completely changed direction and put all their effort behind camera technology, even to the extent of force bundling it in their new system.

So you are saying Microsoft made some secret agreement with the NSA to provide them tons of data on citizens by using the Kinect. The fact that the Wii sold so well and captured the casual audience by using a gimmick had absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft's decision to the focus on greatly improving the Kinect? The Xbox division now takes funding from and works directly with the NSA in order to help spy on citizens? Because that wouldn't cause a backlash and the loss of millions of customers, right?

SmokyDave works for the british government. The Vita has a camera..and Skype.. Oh my god.. Vitagaf is doomed.

Yeah, all 20 of us

I remember a lot of people thought this seemed kinda outlandish when it was discussed months ago as a possibility. I'll say I was pleasantly surprised the XB1 worked fine without Kinect plugged in.

klaus

Your point being what exactly? And btw what about he world's biggest gaming platform (going by user numbers) that comes with builtin cameras since over ten years?

So you are saying Microsoft made some secret agreement with the NSA to provide them tons of data on citizens by using the Kinect. The fact that the Wii sold so well and captured the casual audience by using a gimmick had absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft's decision to the focus on greatly improving the Kinect? The Xbox division now takes funding from and works directly with the NSA in order to help spy on citizens? Because that wouldn't cause a backlash and the loss of millions of customers, right?

No, I didn't say any of that bullshit, just addressing the point as to why we're talking about Kinect specifically.

Its an audio/visual biometric device framed perfectly in the living room and connected to the internet.

No shit there's interest in tapping into the thing. In addition to webcams and phones and tablets and any other digital keyholes you can possibly peer through or tap.

Xenon

Move doesn't count in this thread because it has bombed
even though the article clearly states that other consoles have been considered as targets as well.

The PS4 camera is bombing so hard you can't even find it in stores.

AlexMogil

Every WiiU has a camera and a microphone. Want to put that in there, too?

Edit: I see other people tried but that doesn't fit the narrative. Nevermind.

JaggedSac

Did you actually read the OP? It sent stills of the camera. Heck if they sourced the videos of millions of people they'd crash their own servers. But 30K Jpegs every five minutes, it would get lost in the handshaking of your router.

You got some mighty big hands shakes.

NoPiece

Xenon, the article specifically mentions capturing Kinect traffic in addition to yahoo, so the thread title seems totally appropriate.

While the documents do not detail efforts as widescale as those against Yahoo users, one presentation discusses with interest the potential and capabilities of the Xbox 360's Kinect camera, saying it generated "fairly normal webcam traffic" and was being evaluated as part of a wider program.

Oersted

Its an audio/visual biometric device framed perfectly in the living room and connected to the internet.

No shit there's interest in tapping into the thing. In addition to webcams and phones and tablets and any other digital keyholes you can possibly peer through or tap.

We know NSA tapped into Kinect and pretty obvious still does, the only "question" is if GCHQ does it also.

S¡mon;102488696 said:
It is pretty normal that governments intercept webcam data, including Kinect.

Spying on your citizens have nothing to do with terrorism and all to do with political control of the people. Whoever or whatever you are in 10, 20 or 30 years, never forget they will know anything there is to know about you.

Top Bottom