• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend on Steam : yes, it is ($15)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
More details here: http://www.doublefine.com/brutallegend/
- Includes all the DLC
- More detailed visuals
- Improved performance.

I hope that they mean 60fps with improved performance. All games using the Brutal Legend engine have been capped at 30fps so far.

I played some of the PS3 version and it definitely didn't stay at 30fps all the time, so even a solid 30fps would be "improved performance" over the console version.

More details here: http://www.doublefine.com/brutallegend/
- Includes all the DLC
- More detailed visuals
- Improved performance.

I hope that they mean 60fps with improved performance. All games using the Brutal Legend engine have been capped at 30fps so far.
This is promising. I really hope (wish) that DF has fixed the 30fps issue with their engine.

Brutal Legend is the last Double Fine game I really liked and I would love to see it with the full power of my PC.

NotLiquid

You can tell how much Double Fine have scaled down. Compare that trailer to any other Brutal Legend trailer where shit seemed like the biggest thing of the damn century. Granted, it's just a PC port it's advertising.

Will probably double dip.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I enjoyed Brutal Legend, but it's not the game it should've been. While clever, the RTS stuff didn't work all that great in practice. If had been more just a big open-world RPG or an action adventure game, that would've been awesome. It had a great world to run around in and explore.

antitrop

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8663/
Brütal Legend PC Beta Known Major Issues:

Throughout the beta we’ll be discovering and issues with BL PC both large and small. This forum thread is not a list of every bug in BL PC, but the major issues that are most likely to cause substantial problems for players. If you see your issue here, know that it’s being worked on as we speak. If not, please post a thread here or email support@doublefine.com.

Rendering Breaks When Alt-Tabbing in Full Screen
If you play the game in full screen and then alt-tab out, the game will still run but will no longer render. This is being fixed ASAP.

You can work around this issue by playing in windowed mode (launch the game with -window or press Alt+Enter during gameplay) and may be able to fix the bug by toggling windowed mode using Alt+Enter if it happens during a full screen game.

No UI For Choosing Resolution/RefreshRate/Vertical Sync
These PC UI elements are still being finished and will be implemented within the first day or two of the beta. Advanced graphical options like FXAA, SSAO, etc. will also be implemented then.

You can work around this by editing your screen.dat file, as described in the Brutal Legend Support FAQ.

Input Remapping Isn’t Working
Input remapping is still under development. The current build allows keyboard/mouse button remapping, except to movement keys and no mapping of Gamepad controllers. This will be fixed very soon.

For the truly adventurous, you can edit your prefs.sav file, found in %APPDATA%\DoubleFine\BrutalLegend\prefs.save.

Gamepad Support Is Limited
Right now BL PC fully supports XInput compatible controllers (like Xbox 360 style controllers). We’ll add support for more controllers and full controller remapping within the first week of the beta.

For people who have gamepads that are not XInput compatible, you may be able to play the game if you can remap your buttons through a driver or other system level controller config.

Occasional Very Bad Performance in Feeding Area Map
This map has a performance/graphics glitch when the lamprey slams its head at nearby troops. This map will be removed from rotation (later today) until the bug is fixed.

Aaaargh that menu just reminds me how frustrating it is the game sucked. So much frigging potential! TIM CURRY AS A VILLAIN. Tim. Curry.

Just imagine if this game had been a Zelda/Darksiders style character action/adventure game instead of a weird open world/RTS-lite.

JUST IMAGINE! D:

I still liked it, though. I think I got all the 360 cheevos (except for any multiplayer ones).

So this means that KoF and Halo are coming to Steam? :D

Off-topic rant: Seriously it pisses me off to no end that I can't digitally purchase Halo or Halo 2. What pisses me off more is that Halo 2's PC online servers are shut off, and it sounds like Gamespy (recently sold) is going to turn off Halo: CE PC's servers if they haven't already.

I want Halo on my PC dammit! F gamepads!

On-topic: Who's the guinea pig for testing for 60fps+?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It seemed alright from what I've played. The RTS stuff wasn't amazing, but I don't think it was offputting enough to make the entire game worthy of harsh criticism. Unless you hate metal and/or Jack Black it's worth a shot.

Super late or not, I always approve of more PC ports.

Platy

Still no mention of RTS gameplay in the trailer .... they never learn =P

The soundtrack is really interesting deal ...

Deadstar

This game wasn't the best, but it's far from terrible. I had a lot of fun playing it and would say it's a must buy. The soundtrack is the best soundtrack gaming has ever seen. Here's some music while you read through this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6-vI70oc0

Edit: Also, he's the one they call Dr. Feelgood, he's the one that makes you feel alright.

I may in the minority, but Brutal Legend is hands down, one of my favourite games this generation. I will triple-dip on this one for sure.

Eusis

I remember an old preview name dropping Zelda OoT. Man, that would've been amazing if it was more like Zelda with a dash of GTA.

Deadstar

I wonder if some ambitious pc modder out there will cut out the RTS battles for me. I'd replay it then.

Why not just improve them? This type of gameplay was done in the game Sacrifice and that's one of the best games ever made. If they fix up and tighten the rts elements it could be great.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, I didn't realise DLC was released for the game. Since the PC version is all-inclusive, that explains the $20 base price.

Lothars

don't listen to anyone that says it's a bad game, it's actually a fun open world game with unexpected RTS elements that were not expected.

Current Steam beta is not 60fps but we are committing to 60fps before the official launch version of the game. PC graphical improvements, including uncapping the framerate, will continue filtering into the Steam build over the coming week.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Yes, yes, YES!

I'm trying to bug Tim on twitter to see if 60FPS can be confirmed. C'moooooooooooooon that'll be the nail in the coffin that gets me to blow the cash now.

Current Steam beta is not 60fps but we are committing to 60fps before the official launch version of the game. PC graphical improvements, including uncapping the framerate, will continue filtering into the Steam build over the coming week.

You're the best, Remo. <3

Aaron

Why not just improve them? This type of gameplay was done in the game Sacrifice and that's one of the best games ever made. If they fix up and tighten the rts elements it could be great.
Yep. I honestly think the RTS battles need only a few relatively small tweaks and they would both be amazing and still work well with a controller. For instance, the game desperately needs a battle map where troops can get simple commands. Guilty Gear 2 did it on the 360, and it worked great.

antitrop

60fps means I buy.

ArjanN

It seemed alright from what I've played. The RTS stuff wasn't amazing, but I don't think it was offputting enough to make the entire game worthy of harsh criticism. Unless you hate metal and/or Jack Black it's worth a shot.

Super late or not, I always approve of more PC ports.

Pretty much this.

Haunted

That's good.

Top Bottom