• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend on Steam : yes, it is ($15)

Same. And that goes for all the other DF PC ports too.

The reason our games have never been 60fps is because of our physics engine, which relies on a lot of assumptions that the simulation is running at 30fps. We know it sucks for PC gamers; it's one of the side effects of our original publishers only wanting to fund console games. But in this case, Brütal Legend PC is a big enough game that we're finally taking the leap to fix that shit, and our hope is that the technical work being done here can be folded back into the core Buddha engine and incorporated into future patches for our other games.

Grief.exe

Buying this once I get home =D

COME ON KOF, JUST HAVE GOOD NETCODE!

..And Halo 3

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8663/
Brütal Legend PC Beta Known Major Issues:

Throughout the beta we’ll be discovering and issues with BL PC both large and small. This forum thread is not a list of every bug in BL PC, but the major issues that are most likely to cause substantial problems for players. If you see your issue here, know that it’s being worked on as we speak. If not, please post a thread here or email support@doublefine.com.

Rendering Breaks When Alt-Tabbing in Full Screen
If you play the game in full screen and then alt-tab out, the game will still run but will no longer render. This is being fixed ASAP.

You can work around this issue by playing in windowed mode (launch the game with -window or press Alt+Enter during gameplay) and may be able to fix the bug by toggling windowed mode using Alt+Enter if it happens during a full screen game.

No UI For Choosing Resolution/RefreshRate/Vertical Sync
These PC UI elements are still being finished and will be implemented within the first day or two of the beta. Advanced graphical options like FXAA, SSAO, etc. will also be implemented then.

You can work around this by editing your screen.dat file, as described in the Brutal Legend Support FAQ.

Input Remapping Isn’t Working
Input remapping is still under development. The current build allows keyboard/mouse button remapping, except to movement keys and no mapping of Gamepad controllers. This will be fixed very soon.

For the truly adventurous, you can edit your prefs.sav file, found in %APPDATA%\DoubleFine\BrutalLegend\prefs.save.

Gamepad Support Is Limited
Right now BL PC fully supports XInput compatible controllers (like Xbox 360 style controllers). We’ll add support for more controllers and full controller remapping within the first week of the beta.

For people who have gamepads that are not XInput compatible, you may be able to play the game if you can remap your buttons through a driver or other system level controller config.

Occasional Very Bad Performance in Feeding Area Map
This map has a performance/graphics glitch when the lamprey slams its head at nearby troops. This map will be removed from rotation (later today) until the bug is fixed.

This should be added to the OP.

The TF2 promos are Eddie's hair and guitar

"Those who preorder the game today will receive immediate access to the Brutal Legend PC multiplayer beta, as well as two "exclusive" Team Fortress 2 items: Eddie Riggs' hair and his guitar Clementine."

Kobalty

tumblr_mes4czrBWY1r3zat8.gif

Loved this game first time round on the PS3, was not a huge fan of the RTS bit's but I am definatly sold for the soundtrack alone.

Brutal Legend could have been better without the RTS stuff.

But as a huge Metalhead, this game was just an absolute fucking blast to play regardless. Riding through that open world in a bad ass car while blasting "Pure Evil" by Iced Earth was glorious.

I'll probably snag the Steam copy up.

Nokterian

PC Screenshots thread will be glorious. Pretty excited now to play it on PC. Hopefully it will have 60fps. [stealth edit] Oooh uncapped fps yes!

Does the soundtrack edition contain all 108 songs used in the game or just the original compositions?

The game contains all the songs, but the downloadable soundtrack is Peter McConnel's original soundtrack composed for the game. (Would have been impossible to license all the songs for download.)

PC Screenshots thread will be glorious. Pretty excited now to play it on PC. Hopefully it will have 60fps.

It will, but not right this second. Many many PC graphical/performance improvements are coming over the next week or so, before the official full launch.

It's a legit beta, not just a demo, so we're going to try and improve it as much as possible during the beta period.

Zeliard

I love Brutal Legend. World design, soundtrack, dialogue, and voice acting are all at a peak. I felt the RTS portions didn't really detract from what made the game so memorable. Very charming title.

Pyrrhus

What sort of visual improvements beyond the obvious resolution bump? Better textures? Tweaked LOD? Trying to decide on the double dip.

antitrop

I love Brutal Legend. World design, soundtrack, dialogue, and voice acting are all at a peak. I felt the RTS portions didn't really detract from what made the game so memorable. Very charming title.
RTS portions are certainly not "good", but I agree.

Doesn't ruin the game, still one of my favorite games of this generation. \m/

iavi

Always wanted to play this game. Bought!

I've bought both Vikings and this, bring on more super late PC ports lol

I loved the art direction, the soundtrack, the writing, the characters, the voice acting and the world. It just felt right rolling through the open world in your car mashing up motorcycle boars with Three Inches of Blood blaring in the background. Didn't think too much of the RTS stage battles but I'll double dip for the rest of the game.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Fuck yeah. Game's worth it for the soundtrack alone. The RTS elements were not enough to sour the whole experience for me. Definitely double dipping on this.

Platy

Current Steam beta is not 60fps but we are committing to 60fps before the official launch version of the game. PC graphical improvements, including uncapping the framerate, will continue filtering into the Steam build over the coming week.

If you have ANY word in the development of this game, BY THE LOVE OF GOD begs for the next trailer tell is has an RTS mix !

The game is GLORIOUS, but the expectancy for a "METAL MIX GOD OF WAR" completly destroys the idea of the game for most people

Nokterian

It will, but not right this second. Many many PC graphical/performance improvements are coming over the next week or so, before the official full launch.

It's a legit beta, not just a demo, so we're going to try and improve it as much as possible during the beta period.

Awesome to hear that. Gonna buy it right now to join the beta and give feedback hopefully loads of graphic options also to tweak with. And about the soundtrack is that all 108 songs or a select few?

More PC details.

The current version has the following:
• Much higher quality anti-aliasing (FXAA and SSAA). Users will be able to select these through the UI in a soon to come update.
• Support for resolutions > 720p (whatever your monitor/GPU will support).
• SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion) which makes for better contact shadows and more solid looking objects.
• Major improvements to latency/lag in multiplayer, especially in large games or games where some players have very bad pings.

Updates over the next week or so will add:
• Uncapped (i.e. as fast as your GPU can handle) framerate.
• Support for high-fidelity (i.e. 60Hz) simulation in single player.
• Higher quality shadows.
• Increased draw distance (which users can tune to be larger or smaller if need be).

Deadstar

More PC details.

• Much higher quality anti-aliasing (FXAA and SSAA). Users will be able to select these through the UI in a soon to come update.
• SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion) which makes for better contact shadows and more solid looking objects.
• Major improvements to latency/lag in multiplayer, especially in large games or games where some players have very bad pings.

• Increased draw distance (which users can tune to be larger or smaller if need be).

Thank you sir. Will double dip on this and get the soundtrack as well.

Nokterian

More PC details.

This should be added to the OP also. Good really good to see this,do not forget 120hz monitors also. I have one and i guess other people also.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Used my remaining hat money to bring the out of pocket cost down to 4$, downloading the beta now.

It will be nice to see the FPS filter back down to Iron Brigade eventually.

Yeah, agreed. So what sort of black sorcery allowed this port to happen, incidentally? Because I like it.

The thing that allowed it to happen was people buying Psychonauts on Steam. Seriously. Selling our games through channels that directly benefit the developer (Kickstarter, Steam, Humble Bundle, GOG, etc.) is really the only thing that actually puts money back into the company that we can then reinvest in projects we want to take on but publishers don't.

Chuck

Still without luck
Current Steam beta is not 60fps but we are committing to 60fps before the official launch version of the game. PC graphical improvements, including uncapping the framerate, will continue filtering into the Steam build over the coming week.

Does that mean we might get 60hz Stacking, Iron Brigade, and Costume Quest at some point? That'd be nice…

Eideka

Banned
More PC details.

Thank you good sir. I'm will be buying this at full price.

Nice to see a developer get control of their IPs. It's taking awhile, but DF seems to be persistent in getting control of them all.

We own all of our games except for Iron Brigade, which is owned by Microsoft. In a lot of cases, there are still weird publishing agreements floating around owned by other people, even if we own the IP itself. But fortunately, publishing agreements generally expire over time. So sometimes all we have to do to get them back is wait!

Seeing people call this game an RTS still saddens me. Preconcieved notions killed this game. It needed more tutorials so that people understood that if you play it as an RTS game, not only will you not have fun, you'll get your ass kicked online.

It's an RTS/DOTA hybrid. I just wish that they would take the time to explain that to everyone. The multi was incredibly fun on XBL, hopping between units to use abilities on enemy units and beat the shit out of the opposing champion was fucking awesome.

DFNathan

Neo Member
Does that mean we might get 60hz Stacking, Iron Brigade, and Costume Quest at some point? That'd be nice…

We have total control over updates for Brazen, CQ, Stacking, and The Cave. We'll apply this tech improvement fix to those games as soon as we can. Right now we're focused on BL PC, but when the dust settles, we'll back port to these other games. This has always been our intention, we just finally were able to carve out enough time to write the necessary code :)

Zeliard

Those PC optimizations sound excellent. The game's art already shines and it's nice that it will be made even more evident. The longer draw distance will be especially nice as the world has a lot of cool architecture.

Top Bottom