• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryce Panic, Old Time Relijun, Monotonix + Calvin Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video Update:

Monotonix - Ronny's Bar (10/4/07)

Old Time Relijun - Ronny's Bar (10/4/07)

Bryce Panic - Ronny's Bar (10/4/07)

----

What a night!

My ears are still buzzing. Tonight was one of the most amazing nights of live music I've ever witnessed in Chicago ...the universe even. Chicago native Anni Rossi played a very warm and upbeat opening set. If I had enough tape on hand, I would have taped her performance, but sadly I only had a tape and a half.

Bryce Panic played a very energetic, yet brief set. Old Time Relijun played an amazing, slam-dancing set, filled with the best soul-dance rock you've ever heard. Then comes Monotonix, who I've never seen live before. Boy, what a completely unique, inspiring, and awesome night it was!

My filming for my new project, dubnarcotic.org, was really raw for this show. I am not a professional camera man by any means. I try to do something different during each show I attend, both for educational and experimental purposes. So, we'll see how these sets come out on film, let's hope for the best. Monotonix finished their set when I was running out of tape, I only had 4 minutes left.

The night couldn't have gone better. After speaking to both Monotonix and Arrington de Dionyso, I was able to introduce myself to Calvin Johnson before heading out. I complimented him on a job well done producing the latest Old Time Relijun record, as well as the recent performance in Chicago at South Union Arts in June. I asked Calvin if he had plans of coming back to the Chicago area, he said "sometime next spring". I asked if he is working on new Halo Benders material and that I was sorry I missed the shows in Boise. To that, he responded that "you'll see us again".

I'll start editing and uploading tomorrow.

element

ahhh Calvin Johnson. I haven't heard that name in ages.

I saw a Dub Narcotic Sound System and Ugly Cassinova ages and ages ago. My friend punched Calvin in the stomach because he cut in line for a beer.

here is Calvin dancing for the Dub part of the show...
33.jpg

Issac leaving the stage after they jammed together...
39.jpg

Great story, do you happen to have that show on tape by chance? Also, I thought Calvin didn't drink, is the punching story true or were you being sarcastic?

element

ChadPaulson said:
Great story, do you happen to have that show on tape by chance? Also, I thought Calvin didn't drink, is the punching story true or were you being sarcastic?
she said he was getting a beer, but it might have been something else. It was also six or seven years ago, so details are foggy.

that night has some crazy stories. There is another involving Phil Ek, Issac bumming smokes from my friend, a girl asking Issac to have her baby, and girls fighting over his mustache and witch hazel.

18.jpg

That's hilarious! You should check out dubnarcotic.org, it is a new project of mine. Documenting K and K related live performances. Either filmed by me, or filmed and submitted by others across the globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom