• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Build Engine (Duke Nukem 3D) still have the best gunplay/feedback in a FPS

Kikorin

Yes, and that's why people are still doing mods and using this engine. I don't know why it works so well, but the feeling when you shoot at pigs, etc... is just unmatched. The fact that nothing disappear and you can walk on location messed up after the shootings also helps.

Doom 1/2 also have similar feelings, but Duke Nukem 3D is still the king.

Am I right?

Last edited:

HL3.exe

3gsS.gif

Gun feel/feedback is not engine related.

JonSnowball

Duke Nukem 3D made me smile, Shadow Warrior made me laugh, Blood made me grin while kicking around decapitated heads, and Ion Fury? Ion Fury made me ejaculate all over my monitor. There was no cleaning it, no reclaiming the screen. I had to replace it. The quantity and velocity was of such intense levels it was impossible to remove from the panel.

Build Engine is pretty good.

SomeGit

One of the best I’ve ever felt was the original Killing Floor, man that game is still so simple yet so good.

phant0m

For 90s shooters, I agree

There are more modern shooters with even better feel though. Namely FEAR and Doom 16 / Eternal. Destiny 2 is top tier gunplay as well, though being “MMO” hurts the persistence and destructability.

The Metro games are fantastic too

Last edited:
I love these games but Hunt: Showdown has my favorite guns, reload animations and sfx for an FPS. It's like you can feel and hear every bolt in each gun.

Fuz

Banned
The reaction of the enemies when shooting in quake 2 is great but the feel of the guns? The feel of the shotgun in quake 2 is not even close to that of duke nukem 3d or doom.
Right, Q2 is the better one! And Q1 shotgun feel even better. J/K I don't consider Q1 or Q2 shotty the best ever, but are we taliking ONLY about the shotgun feel? Because...
But I'm thinking mostly about the railgun and rocket launcher.
Honestly I don't really remember the weapon feel in Duke 3D - even though I played it a lot back then.

Now that I think of it, HL1 also had an amazing feel on its weapons - especially that grenade launcher on the MP5 really surprised me on how perfect it was.

hyperbertha

Duke Nukem 3D made me smile, Shadow Warrior made me laugh, Blood made me grin while kicking around decapitated heads, and Ion Fury? Ion Fury made me ejaculate all over my monitor. There was no cleaning it, no reclaiming the screen.
And redfall? Redfall made me cry.

Kikorin

Right, Q2 is the better one! And Q1 shotgun feel even better. J/K I don't consider Q1 or Q2 shotty the best ever, but are we taliking ONLY about the shotgun feel? Because...
But I'm thinking mostly about the railgun and rocket launcher.
Honestly I don't really remember the weapon feel in Duke 3D - even though I played it a lot back then.

Now that I think of it, HL1 also had an amazing feel on its weapons - especially that grenade launcher on the MP5 really surprised me on how perfect it was.

I'd add the Half-Life 2 9mm Pistol too, from sound to recoil and feedback is simply perfect.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Since FEAR gunplay was already mentioned, ill give a shout out to Soldier of Fortune 2 and its gore tech. The Desert Eagle in that game hits perfectly.

radewagon

Impossible. Duke Nukem 3D's shotgun is not fun to use. I dunno. Maybe it's the oddly muted sound or the weak reload animation or the muzzle flash animation. Whatever it is, I'm not a fan. Doom, on the other hand, has a god-tier shotgun.

I will give Duke credit with the handgun, though. That thing is fire.

nkarafo

Dunno if this is about the engine only. I think it's mostly about good controls, sound effects and animations.

Build was actually a very janky engine from a technical perspective. At least that's what i hear from the Raze devs (Raze is a modern source engine that handles build games).

Impossible. Duke Nukem 3D's shotgun is not fun to use. I dunno. Maybe it's the oddly muted sound or the weak reload animation or the muzzle flash animation. Whatever it is, I'm not a fan. Doom, on the other hand, has a god-tier shotgun.

I will give Duke credit with the handgun, though. That thing is fire.

I've got the opposite opinion of you (like the Duke 3D shotgun, don't like the handgun), I'm coming at it from a gameplay perspective though. Handgun is piss weak and not reliable, while the shotty does great damage and is more versatile.
I will give the handgun credit for the reload animation though, it's pretty satisfying.

The reaction of the enemies when shooting in quake 2 is great but the feel of the guns? The feel of the shotgun in quake 2 is not even close to that of duke nukem 3d or doom.

IMO, its:
Doom 2 Super Shotgun > Quake 2 Super Shotgun > Duke 3D Shotgun > Doom Shotgun > Quake 2 Shotgun

D2 and Q2 SSGs are so satisfying to destroy enemies with. In particular I love the reload animation of the D2 SSG and the explosive sound and gibbing power of the Q2 SSG.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I would say the best, because others nail that great gunplay feeling as well.

But damn if it isn’t up there. Ion Fury especially kicks ass.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Goldeneye was pretty sick at the time. When you would shoot specific parts of an enemy and they would react. That and leaving bullet holes in the walls or destroying computers or glass et

The super shotgun is the best overall meaty sounding old school weapon.

Doom and Duke 3D are two brilliant games for different reasons.

So OP
Well Yes But Actually No GIF by walter_

Is my answer.
More complicated answer

You aren’t wrong but you aren’t totally right. Thank you for making this thread. It’s a damn good one. (No sarcasm) letting me remember some great games of yore.
That I can mostly play on my switch.

The boomer shooter revival is awesome.

Do they call it boomer shooter because “ok boomer” or boom because grenade launchers in quake. Which are some of the best old school weapons.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
For 90s shooters, I agree

There are more modern shooters with even better feel though. Namely FEAR and Doom 16 / Eternal. Destiny 2 is top tier gunplay as well, though being “MMO” hurts the persistence and destructability.

The Metro games are fantastic too
I know this thread isn't about it but....that old school level design though.

The newer games are waaay too afraid of modern players getting lost and giving up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom