• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm didn't make money.

Owzers

I rented it and didn't really like it, mainly because "shooting things differently for points" isn't something i'm interested in and the set pieces didn't keep things interesting for me. I liked the tone of the game though, but overall i felt it was still "just another shooter" in a sea of shooters.

Raide

The lack of co-op and New Game+ really did dampen my excitement for Bulletstorm but I am glad it came out. Hopefully Epic gives them another chance to make another Bulletstorm.

Tizoc

This makes me want to buy the game full price now (I've been planning on getting it anyways).
Will get it tomorrow~

Saty

Why are ppl doubting the 300k figure in its first month? We have the NPD numbers from then.

Lets remind ourselves what sales expectations were:
Eurogamer: How many sales does Bulletstorm need for it to be considered a hit?

Adrian Chmielarz: I don't know. We are pretty ballsy. We definitely want a couple of million units sold. But it is very hard right now to ask, is two million a success or is it just very decent? Does it need to be three, four million to consider it a total blockbuster hit? I don't know at this point.

The first magic number is a million units. Surprisingly, not a lot of games are able to reach that. I'm hoping it's going to be huge, but I don't want to jinx it.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-08-bulletstorm-were-misunderstood-interview?page=3
Eurogamer: What are your expectations of BulletStorm? Do you see this as a massive game?

David DeMartini: Let's not call it Call of Duty or Medal of Honor massive, where I'm thinking Call of Duty maybe 15 million units, Medal of Honor maybe seven. It could be very much like Gears.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-03-ea-partners-david-demartini-interview

daffy

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
300,000 copies and not a success.

This is why gaming will collapse into another crash within the next generation or two.
really? do you know bulletstorm's budget?

KingJ2002

I definitely think they should get a sequel ready for next gen... like a launch title or a post launch title. Don't call it bulletstorm 2 but Bulletstorm: *insert subtitle*... add multiplayer support and motion controls *imagine making a whipping motion to smack people down or doing a front kick to send a front kick in the game.

it's a great game, the space marine thing is a terrible cliche but these were good ones.

Didn't the game sell a little over 1 Million across all 3 platforms.

If a game can sell over a million copies and "not make any money" then this industry is seriously fucked up.

I know the PS3 version was basically sent out to die by releasing on the same day as Killzone 3. 360 version sold reasonably well, but the 360 FPS crowd mostly only cares about multiplayer.

daffy

Banned
Snuggler said:
Did you read his post? I think you're not understanding his point.
That Bulletstorm isn't a success because it didn't meet Epic's crazy expectations, and therefore all other companies in gaming have the same expectations and will cause a crash?

legbone

Princess Skittles said:

This is why gaming will collapse into another crash within the next generation or two.

this was my first thought. it's a damn shame that 300,000 copies does not equal success. i'm afraid we can not continue at this rate. pretty soon it will just be the big boys and the indies with no "middle class" games. i know it sounds crazy but i am willing to pay $70 for a new title if it means we can stop this. i'm afraid pretty soon with the budgets soaring they will have to sell 2M copies to be a success. say goodbye to innovation.

edit: also makes me feel a little guilty that i didn't pick it up until it was $40. I wasn't going to pick it up at all because i didn't think i would like it. then a fellow gaffer recommended it to me and it turned out being one of the most fun games i have played all year.

Paches

Bought it on sale for 11 dollars and felt I didn't get my moneys worth. Poor game all around and hopefully we will never see what happens after the worst ending in the recorded history of video gaming.

This seemed like it was well received among gamers and I enjoyed the demo so slightly surprised to hear this. But then again, it wasn't well advertised so not really.

Stumpokapow said:
Odd juxtaposition between bright, vivacious colours and a really nasty, dirty tone (even on the cover art) + shooter with no multiplayer element + chain-scoring element not really well conveyed by the demo or the marketing + personally I felt like EA half-assed the marketing and distribution.

Pity, it looks like a pretty good game. I haven't seen it below $20 so I haven't picked it up yet.
Maybe the multiplayer element was the Gears beta

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
FTH said:
That Bulletstorm isn't a success because it didn't meet Epic's crazy expectations, and therefore all other companies in gaming have the same expectations and will cause a crash?

I'd say she meant that gaming budgets are just way too high if a game can sell 300K and not turn a profit.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Stumpokapow said:
Pity, it looks like a pretty good game. I haven't seen it below $20 so I haven't picked it up yet.

A month ago, there was the deal on Best Buy, game got dropped from $60 to $35, then use the Best Buy @Gamer magazine coupon, just rip it out (don't buy it -$5) takes another -$20 off it, so I got the "Limited Edition" for a whopping $15, which became free due to my Sly Trilogy HD Trade-In for $15 for the PS3

Good Game, enjoyed the skill shots, some were really fun, others were just Really? You want me to do WHAT to the enemy?

1 was pure fucking luck, the games combat system fights against you from getting the skill-shot, it was a 30 minutes ordeal just to get it, but once it was pulled off, I was like OH!, could be more useful in dire situation, but...the system wasn't set up for said SS

Stinger - CHARGED: Suspend a drilled enemy mid-air, then kick him into another enemy

Penetrator <3

Oh the goofiness you could pull off with that weapon

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
FTH said:

I think he was referring to bloated budgets, not high expectations, and the fact that even 300K sales aren't enough to make a profit. This has been a reoccurring theme this generation.

Deadbeat

Banned
FTH said:

I'm not a toddler, I can read btw.
Because the budgets of games nowadays are too fucking huge and fewer games are making it into the black. When your game has a huge budget you need an even larger amount of sales to break even.

FTH said:
If it didn't make any money then why would they be happy about the game? Meeting expectations or not, if the game at best broke even that is not going to cut it for anyone at this point anymore.

Juancho9 said:
I thought the game LOOKED like some terrible brofest arcade shooter, I might try it if people actually think its worth something.

It should have sold then, right?

There was multiplayer, it was just undercooked.

It's a pretty awesome game, though. People generally know fun when it bites them in the poop passage.

Granted, the demo was terrible..

ShaneB

Princess Skittles said:

My exact thoughts as well. How many companies would kill and thrive on 300k releases... jeez.

goldenpp72

The game will probably crack a million over time, the fact that this can be something that doesn't make money is insane.

Great game though, sad we probably won't get a sequel, but i'll keep an eye on whatever the dev pumps out next.

daffy

Banned
Papercuts said:
I'd say she meant that gaming budgets are just way too high if a game can sell 300K and not turn a profit.
Bulletstorm is just one example though. They clearly expected it to be something it couldn't attain. Plenty of other companies with realistic expectations for new IPs making games.

DryvBy

Well, on the bright side (for us only), in 3-5 years, this game will be on eBay and Amazon for $60 used because this will be a FPS classic down the road that time forgot. I'll never sell my copy though.

There's DLC out too for those that want to support the game still. I'm buying it next payday. More maps and junk.

Murkas

I bought it and thought it was very average. Never finished it.

Allthough most shooters bore me these days so meh.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
By the way anyone playing on the PS3 and want a good player for Anarchy mode

I need all 5 trophies for it to get my 75th platinum, the random online = Trolls who go for 10 points, not even just bullet kick or some other point combo for at least 50+ points

Help me, Help you >.>;
PSN: GraveRobberX

FTH said:
Bulletstorm is just one example though. They clearly expected it to be something it couldn't attain. Plenty of other companies with realistic expectations for new IPs making games.
Kind of surprising considering UT3 bombed for them as well. Seems after getting lucky with Gears, that's probably all we'll see from them for the most part.

Pimpbaa

Tomat said:
This makes me wonder just who it is we're blaming when people say this. People always seem to default back to the 13 year old CoD player.

Probably is 13 year old CoD players, I dunno. All I know it that too many good games are not getting bought.

Derrick01

Banned
Hey EA you guys know what would have helped out a bit? Having the game go on fucking sale during the summer sale. A daily would have been huge, but just any sale at all would have been nice. No one's going to pay $30 for it right now.

DryvBy

GraveRobberX said:
By the way anyone playing on the PS3 and want a good player for Anarchy mode

I need all 5 trophies for it to get my 75th platinum, the random online = Trolls who go for 10 points, not even just bullet kick or some other point combo for at least 50+ points

Help me, Help you >.>;
PSN: GraveRobberX

PSN: DryvBy

Add me. I'll play with you Sunday anytime during that day or Saturday night.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Pffff, just wait until it's a deal on Steam.

Frankfurt

Banned
Imagine a Street Fighter game where all that matters are combos. No footsies, no turtling, no pokes. Just combos and nothing else. Nobody would EVER defend such a game.

But in Bulletstorm, people actually try to defend it.

2th

Banned
not surprised. the game was meh at best as far as i am concerned. the story was incredibly cliched, the gameplay was standard, and the dialogue itself was so over the top stupid while actually trying to take itself seriously that i muted most of the stuff and played with music.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Hopefully it'll make some money during the inevitable multiple appearances in Steam sales.

Just finished it an hour ago. Didn't enjoy the game a lot, but it's more enjoyable than a lot of first person shooters out there, and even more so when nearing the end. But yeah, the game wouldn't have needed that big of a budget.

thaOwner

"Dick tits"

I personalty didn't enjoy the gameplay at all and the text that popped up whenever you did something 'cool' didnt help either.

Top Bottom